Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mortificator

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Mortificator »

Games and applications that save their stuff in the Documents folder. There's literally an AppData directory for your app data, you don't need to show it to me and crowd the folder I use, surprisingly, for my documents.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I end up setting that crap to hidden.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mortificator wrote:Games and applications that save their stuff in the Documents folder. There's literally an AppData directory for your app data, you don't need to show it to me and crowd the folder I use, surprisingly, for my documents.
Oh yeah, this is really annoying. I ended up just putting my actual documents somewhere else on my machines.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

When modern browsers and/or websites (not sure who's to blame) don't give you an indication that it's still loading the page - so it looks like the browser has hung. Oh it's loading? How about you give me a fucking indication.

Similar - when it looks like a page has opened and just as you go to click on a link, some other element loads so you actually end up somewhere else. The BBC homepage is a fucking nightmare for this.

Also - videos embedded in pages. Oh the video is at the top? No I do not want it to take up the upper third of the page as I scroll WHO DOES THIS? FUCK YOU IGN. Oh the video is mid-article OH GOD NO WHY IS IT FOLLOWING ME AS I SCROLL DOWN. I swear modern UI design is taught/sponsored by attention seeking whores to just generate page clicks.

Fucking clicks. Recent Microsoft Office versions. Ever tried to save a document? File > Save As, no? No. No I do not want you to suggest where I want to save this document I just want you to bring up my C drive, you know like you did for years? A few clicks later and I can finally get to the option where I can choose where to put the fucking file. Sharepoint! No stop loading documents in the awful shitty web view that's slow as shite and doesn't let you do anything, I have MS Office installed, why would I want to run it in a browser window that can't fucking keep up. God damn is it complicated to get it to load in the application - just give me one click to do it instead of "three dots" > download > open. Intuitive? Fuck you.

Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Power users get shafted harder and harder every year. Newer software is designed to abstract the user away from localized storage, or any kind of file system at all. The future is now, old man.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

We managed this far without users accidentally deleting system32 I think they can handle the same C drive they had in Windows 7 oh apparently that's too scary and we have to force them to use the default locations for OneDrive.

The future is stupid.

At least it's called File Explorer now, so users won't open Internet Explorer by mistake when I want them to find something in their user profile. Maybe.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I switched to LibreOffice eight years ago and never looked back. People want everything as a PDF these days anyway.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:When modern browsers and/or websites (not sure who's to blame) don't give you an indication that it's still loading the page - so it looks like the browser has hung. Oh it's loading? How about you give me a fucking indication.
It's kinda hard to do this nowadays, because the way most websites are designed, especially ones with a high level of interactivity, they are really always loading.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The power company. Imagine this is impacting orange808 as well unless he moved.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Trying to pay for some junk on ebay and suddenly got assaulted by the most detestable thing on the internets: scroogle reCraptcha. I don't know if this is ebay's fault or paypal's fault but when I find out who did it then it's boycott time. (╯°益°)╯彡┻━┻
It's a really tough balance that translators always face. Even though it's easy to say that a translation should always be literal, and it's up to the audience to apply their own knowledge of cultural differences, it's just never that simple. There's always some amount of localization necessary in order to grasp the correct tone and intent in a dramatic scene. And if there is voice acting too, it gets even more complex.

I agree that characters normally shouldn't be renamed, but there's still some context to consider. One example I always liked is how Terra from Final Fantasy VI was called Tina in Japan. They wanted her to have an exotic name and I think it goes without saying that "Tina" kind of has the opposite connotations in English.
Now I have to wonder if the occurrence of nonsense phrases in the translated Hyperdimension Neptunia like "could care less" or "begs the question" is intended to stand in for some vaguely equivalent language abuse in the original Japanese like "tondemo arimasen" or something.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Some phone computer ones -

Control C and V are next to each other. Instead of pasting in to a cell you copy it. Then you need to go back to where you copied from :lol:

When your scolling through facebook and like something accidentally.

Phone keyboards, never got used to them 100%, the delete key should be bigger its the one that gets most used.

When a game boss needs just one more hit and you do the celebration hit on the joypad to shoot and you accidentally hit jump and hit a projectile.

Everytime I load up a switch game and I need to wait 8 minutes for a download.

Recently I have noticed that certain games in my collection have gone missing, I know I saw it recently but for the life of me I cannot find it.

My Satnav/GPS tells me to turn 3rd exit off the next roundabout, except when I get there, there is no roundabout. I should have taken the new slip road about 1/4 mile back because the roundabout was replaced by a bridge. So now I have to go to the next exit which is about 3 miles down the road / and back again.

Google mail has SPAM right between archive and Delete. I told them to move it to the right via the feedback system but they haven't.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Movies with fucking spoilers in the opening titles. Image I am BESIDE MYSELF WITH LITTLE ANNOYED HELL Image

Domestic Drama I've Been Meaning To Watch

Well this should be interesting!

Starring ABC

FFS, not this cunt again

With 123

Cor ye I like him!

MONSTER EFFECTS by XYZ

Thanks, I appreciate the heads-up that we'll be going from mundane strife into outright phantasmagoria. Phew, nothing ruins narrative like a sense of discovery. Fucking neck yourself, whoever put this there. With a noose made of film reels. Hurl yourself through a projection booth, so your thrashing corpse looses its bowels and preferably ejaculates on the audience below. You uncouth, cretinous, gaping no-clues argument for post-birth abortion cunt. -_-

Related, I edited the finale of The Sopranos so
Spoiler
the smash-cut to black lasts all the way to the HBO snap-shut. David Chase wanted it this way, but the writer's guild wouldn't allow him to zero the end credits.
They too are a bunch of sheep-fucking inbreds who maimed cinema with their fuckfaceitis - however, at least this story is happy end! Image
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BIL wrote:Movies with fucking spoilers in the opening titles.
kane wrote:Netflix takes that to the next level and helpfully spoils the ending with the intro keywords.
You guys think that's bad? :lol: How about when the creative translator annoyance and the unavoidable spoiler have a child and you get the spawn of hell that is the translated title for Mexican territory of John Ford's The Searchers which spoils the film's climax. Not only that, it's aslo corny as hell and much more fitting for a Hallmark movie.

It's pretty embarrassing to bring up in conversations one of my favorite movies with that travesty of a title, but I also have to spoil it for everyone just by caling it by its name? Fuck that! That's one of the reasons I refer to films by their original title even if I couldn't pronouce them to save my life.

I'm going to spoiler tag that thing for anyone curious. If you speak Spanish and plan to watch it for the first time, look away.
Spoiler
Más corazón que odio
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

On of the minor reasons I prefer the regular version of Silent Hill 2 over the GH re-release is that the title of Maria's scenario, which you'll unavoidably see when starting a game, straight-up spoils the mystery of her nature.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

Searchlike wrote:I'm going to spoiler tag that thing for anyone curious. If you speak Spanish and plan to watch it for the first time, look away.
Much appreciated. :cool: Doing a minor catch-up of stuff I've put off watching for years, hence finally seeing the film referred to in previous post. All those years of avoiding plot summaries, my vitriol is blazing. :evil: :lol:
Mortificator wrote:On of the minor reasons I prefer the regular version of Silent Hill 2 over the GH re-release is that the title of Maria's scenario, which you'll unavoidably see when starting a game, straight-up spoils the mystery of her nature.
Oh jeeze, hadn't even considered that. :o I only played it a couple years after the Xbox/PS2 GH versions arrived.

I'm a little ambivalent on the scenario itself these days. On one hand, it's very well-done. On the other,
Spoiler
I find Maria more compelling when she's just a tragically human aspect of James's "world of nightmares" (tm/c Harry Mason), with no existence independent of his private hell. Shades both the "escaped" and "stuck" endings, if starring in Jimbo's Bizarre Adventure is the only life Maria can ever know.

Not that Born From A Wish precludes this. I just like SH2's supernatural to be absolutely unknowable, as in life. What do Pyramid Heads do when not on-camera in glorious JimboVision? Not a lot, I'm guessing. No that sex tape doesn't count! Maybe if you could find it lying around somewhere. Now that'd be extra content! Forget GH prices, I'd pay full retail Image
If there's a character I'd like to see the vantage point of, it's Laura. Although that too would cost something, to someone (aiee! a misspent youth nerdfighting on SH message boards is all coming back :shock:).

Maybe enlist the game's most infamous face instead. :O

noobs don't click, this son of a bitch was behind everything Image
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Every time I want to eject the optical media reader of my laptop I have to press the cover over and over until I hit it on the precisely exact spot. However, any time just need to I pick it up to move it, the media reader pops open in an extremely annoying manner.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

This isn't so much an annoyance in itself... more like schadenfreude, minus the freude. Image For the love of God, and all that is holy: if you're expecting a baby, just pass out cigars for fuck's sake:

Wow, high explosives! What could go wrong?
Spoiler

I bet I could save money by making my own! Wait what

NY father-to-be killed, brother injured by exploding "gender reveal" device

What is wrong with people? "Gender reveal" disasters have been flitting around my news feeds for a few months, now, but this was too awful to ignore. Poor baby, poor family. I hope the absence of a father doesn't create further tragedy down the road.

Omake01: Soldier vs Ghost

Humans Are Such Easy Prey
Spoiler

Omake02: FRIIIDGE RA-CERRR

Idiots: even if you are standing well beyond the blast radius, shrapnel will shred your soft, wet tissue in the blink of an eye (as the newly-amputated gent in the first video exclaims: BLEW MUH LEG AWFF! AWW SHIIIT!"). Consider leaving this industrial-grade explosives business alone, if you don't know what in the sweet Jesus Mary and Mothering Joseph Fuck you're doing.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Tannerite just isn't a threatening enough name for the stuff. It reminds you of the Tanners on Full House. Such a nice family bunch. This tanner will turn your leg into confetti and almost bean you with a fridge.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The only thing that would make the story better is if the kid turns out to be trans.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Not being able to draw for SHIT.

I had the best vodka N cheese dream last night, where after ROBOCOP gets chased away into the wilderness by heavy gunfire, INSTEAD of reconvening with Lewis, he is all alone and takes off his visor, and falls to his hands and knees, then leans back and says "NAWWW" to the grey FUTURE DETROIT sky! Low angle shot with Robo in foreground, chest-to-head - in background, a junkpile upon which stands a random punk kid, who with perfect trajectory beans ROBO in the back of his bald fuckin dome with a bottle, which shatters on impact, soaking Robo in some foul liquid. Robo bolts upright while pivoting and scoring three perfect shots to the kid's chest, then gapes in red-faced, tear-streaked horror at what he has done, as the lanky corpse tumbles down the garbage hill! :shock: Movie proceeds as normal. :cool:

Imma give it my best shot but it'll never look as amazing as in MUH DREAM >_<
drauch

Post by drauch »

Please post when complete :wink:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch old buddy I'm afraid it was a bit of a shitshow. :sad: I did my damnedest to turn in a rough draft to my associate Dr Biruford, who replied that while he'd take the work, my concept of MURFEH regaining a shard of humanity by aimhack.exe /background /always_on-ing some random kid for beaning him with a Piss Jar was (his words) "a fucking joke," and that he had a far superior plan.

So I said fine, fuck off then, I'm out of booze and cheese and you're a cunt! So here's all I got buddy. 3;

A dream deferred
Spoiler

I won't forgive him for this (■`ω´■)
Spoiler
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

BIL wrote:in background, a junkpile upon which stands a random punk kid, who with perfect trajectory beans ROBO in the back of his bald fuckin dome with a bottle, which shatters on impact, soaking Robo in some foul liquid. Robo bolts upright while pivoting and scoring three perfect shots to the kid's chest, then gapes in red-faced, tear-streaked horror at what he has done, as the lanky corpse tumbles down the garbage hill!
I didn't read the dream part and was like "DAMN, what Robocop sequel is this?!" As for that comic, I'd buy that for a dollar.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck! >_< Shoulda airdropped Bixby in there! :lol: Image
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Both of them!
BIL

Post by BIL »

tbh I like his too but I can't admit it :oops: Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Product descriptions that say " simply " first.

Simply natural oatmeal!
simply long lasting milk!

simply fuck off would ya
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
drauch

Post by drauch »

Bored at work with no reprieve! How sad.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Rhetorical soundtracks in documentaries. Just the facts pls, ma'am. (■`ω´■) I'll decide if this tale of a man who inflated his nutsack with a bicycle pump and floated off into the sun (because the warning sticker did not advise against) is poignant, tyvm! For all you know, I think he was a dumbass!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It seems that Firefox has removed the backspace button for BACK. What were they thinking?!?

I remember when Chrome did the same thing, I had to add a plugin to get the functionality back. What gives?!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.