Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
rapoon

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by rapoon »

headhunters misrepresenting a job and/or who are incapable of speaking English.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

It looks like the GPU on my computer is starting to break down. So with a sigh I head on over to Newegg to check out prices and...

...HOOOOOOLLLLEEEEE SHIIIIIT! Look what you bitcoin miners have done to GPU prices!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

WelshMegalodon wrote: Fangirling over Chris Evans with a beard = normal
I'd fangirl over Chris Evans any day, beard or none. And I'm straight.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Little things that annoy the hell out of you: Shmups Edition.

When some of the only clears available on youtube are super low quality, or shit-tier credit feeding. It's better than nothing, but still kind of annoying.

There are literally no replays of Crisis/Divider on the internet anywhere. I get that the windowed mode is super small, but surely there must be a way to capture it full screen? And don't give me that it's no longer sold as a reason because there are plenty of out of print games (looking at you, Touhous 1-5) that can be found on youtube.

Recently learned that the shitty Episode 5 of Tyrian 2k was only created as a promotion for a game that never even came out.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Living in a place particularly conducive to strong gusts of wind that cause short but repeated power and internet outages.

Also companies in charge of those networks failing miserably at finding and fixing the spots sensitive to those winds - for years consecutive.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Xyga wrote:Living in a place particularly conducive to strong gusts of wind that cause short but repeated power and internet outages.

Also companies in charge of those networks failing miserably at finding and fixing the spots sensitive to those winds - for years consecutive.
I know your pain. The only real solution is to get UPS units and hook them up to everything in your house, including the cable modem. I have 4 of 'em. Only had to replace the battery on one of them once, and that was after 10 years of use.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^ Yes I definitely need something like that, along with enough batteries to keep the essential stuff running a few hours independently when it's really bad like today.

...aaaaaaaaaand I was cut while typing this post, had to switch to my mobile network. I think my modem freaked out this time.

*rage*
*and rant*
I hope one day I'll have my own complete independent solar power system and kiss the country's network goodbye, it's getting shittier and more expensive every damn year.
And it used to be our industrial pride, now it's a farce we keep from going bankrupt with ridiculous taxes and bills because nobody wants to admit it's become a costly obsolete monster that survives by selling its tech licences to foreign countries while we get awful service here. We should have begun modernizing our stuff 20~30 years ago and actually close our older reactors one by one slowly as we were replacing things with modern more efficient equipment. At the pace things degrade we'll have a serious accident within the next decade or so. We're the most unprepared trainwreck of the so-called 'fisrt world'.

*holy shit my garden table just flew like 30 meters away*
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Xyga wrote:^ Yes I definitely need something like that, along with enough batteries to keep the essential stuff running a few hours independently when it's really bad like today.
Yeah, the ones I have are more like "You have ~10 minutes to finish what you're doing and shut down".

The ones that let you run for hours at a time are a LOT more expensive. You'd be better off just using a laptop as a backup in that case .. and make sure your data is on 2.5" HDD in a USB 3.0 enclosure so you can easily access it.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

adjusted the cage on my hockey goalie mask today, and I stripped 3 of the 4 nuts that are in the mask and onto which the cage bolt to -_- I play on monday and no place in my little town sells these specialty screws and nuts, so I'll have to make a 1hr trip, both direction, to Quebec City just to get these friggin' things installed. FACK
(I could borrow a mask, but NO WAY am I doing that, that's just fucking gross)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Udderdude wrote:The ones that let you run for hours at a time are a LOT more expensive.
yeah I see that, also had a peek at the tesla batteries, omygosh.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Hoarders and their excuses. And their mice. And their roaches. And their bedbugs. And their pride that gets HURT when you offer them help.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

When you start to play a game really seriously for score and discover flaws you never noticed before and you start to wonder if you really like the game enough now to play it seriously.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:When you start to play a game really seriously for score and discover flaws you never noticed before and you start to wonder if you really like the game enough now to play it seriously.
When you're the guy that developed that game. /wrists

(I'd say the number of games that don't break down under intense scrutiny by thousands of players over countless hours is very small, to be honest .. this includes multiplayer as well as score-based games)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Why I've bothered so long with MPC-HC and its issues when there's PotPlayer...duh.

--

EDIT: also screenshot/photo gallery threads about whatever in which people don't put any description whatsoever and you either have to guess, or forced to ask, or browse back the fucking thread maybe tens of pages to find more info from the poster's previous posts.
Kinda like the 'cool pcb you just got' thread, just makes me want to slap people for being idiots or dicks that waste your time and ruin your interest.
ave

Post by ave »

Specineff wrote:Hoarders and their excuses. And their mice. And their roaches. And their bedbugs. And their pride that gets HURT when you offer them help.
That sounds disgusting. If they don't want accept help, it's not going to be possible to help them. Admitting the existence of a problem is step #1.
THE ETERNAL
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Does a flamethrower count as "help"? Because I'd certainly be willing to, if that were the case.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Udderdude wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:When you start to play a game really seriously for score and discover flaws you never noticed before and you start to wonder if you really like the game enough now to play it seriously.
Fully admit I have no idea what I'd doing score-wise on the XOP games still, but I find them a lot of fun nevertheless. At least there's no RANDOM extends crucial to scoring (I never even knew this was a thing in some shmups, wtf).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
Fully admit I have no idea what I'd doing score-wise on the XOP games still, but I find them a lot of fun nevertheless. At least there's no RANDOM extends crucial to scoring (I never even knew this was a thing in some shmups, wtf).
It's pretty simple point blank plus bullet scraping, but anyway I was referring back to when Plasmo broke the scoring in XOP Black in at least one mode if I can recall .. ah, memories. ;p
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

A car parked in front of my office some hours ago, and the car alarm went off. No big deal, they shut it off. It came back on. Rinse, repeat over 2 hours. It appears to be broken. Now it turns out the car won't start, so they can't even move it. So this racket will be going on until closing time.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

When Mercurysteam craps all over one of my favorite games and gets hired by Nintendo to defile the other standard bearer of the genre.

Stand, wait, and hit the button when the enemy flashes. Just like a laserdisk game. Cool idea, mate! Great gameplay! F#$k run and gun! ;)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Amazon :evil:

So far this month at least half of the goods that I regularly buy, are no longer unavailable to me because, "This item does not ship to Ireland".
I have wanted to wean myself off the cancer to human kind that is Amazon, for some time.
This might be a blessing in disguise.

Also, I believe that they have closed down their discussion boards?
These fuckers need a good seeing to, let me tell ya! :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

As a resident somewhere in the rest of Europe this has been a regular cause of grief every time I've been shopping on Amazon UK for the past 15 years.
Especially annoying is that there is no way to tell this before your order is pretty much completed, just as the shipping fee is completely unpredictable.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Sumez wrote:As a resident somewhere in the rest of Europe this has been a regular cause of grief every time I've been shopping on Amazon UK for the past 15 years.
Especially annoying is that there is no way to tell this before your order is pretty much completed, just as the shipping fee is completely unpredictable.
wait.... is there not an amazon denmark (or ireland, or where ever?)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Weird. Most of the time Amazon is the only place that actually wants to sell and reliably deliver anything to me. Patchy at best is my experince with every other retailer. In UK and delivered to UK though.

My favourite was getting an empty 3DS case from the official Nintendo store, then having to fill in Vogon-esque forms just for them to ship a replacement for their own failure.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote: wait.... is there not an amazon denmark (or ireland, or where ever?)
Lol no :P
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

International shipping, when it concerns Germany. Why is it the 3 times I have shipped orders to Germany, they show up to the customer in broken fashion? How hard is it to ship a cd release inside a bubble mailer that is inside a bigger bubble mailer?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Mischief Maker wrote:It looks like the GPU on my computer is starting to break down. So with a sigh I head on over to Newegg to check out prices and...

...HOOOOOOLLLLEEEEE SHIIIIIT! Look what you bitcoin miners have done to GPU prices!
A 1080 Ti costs more than $1000? Titan X Pascal is $1900 (Amazon). Then the GTX 1070 should be around $380 but now it's often being sold for $700+. Nvidia & AMD are none too happy about this.
Is it wrong to wish Bitcoin would just fucking crash? Let those Bitcoin miners start crying when their efforts are all for naught.

GPU manufacturers should try to limit the use of their products to gamers only.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

^ Related.

I went to a local electronics store to pick up a new phone. While queuing I saw a man at the counter with what looked like 3 or so 1080ti's and felt some weird kind of anger rising as I couldn't help give some annoyed glares in his general direction. Not too classy of me perhaps but the situation right now is so ridiculous.

I luckily picked up a 1070 the year of release, otherwise I would be fuming like everybody else.
CHECKPOINT!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

While browsing on Amazon I saw people selling GPUs in 6-packs.

They say the total energy being wasted on mining bitcoins rivals the energy use of a small European nation right now.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

gameoverDude wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:It looks like the GPU on my computer is starting to break down. So with a sigh I head on over to Newegg to check out prices and...

A 1080 Ti costs more than $1000? Titan X Pascal is $1900 (Amazon). Then the GTX 1070 should be around $380 but now it's often being sold for $700+. Nvidia & AMD are none too happy about this.
Is it wrong to wish Bitcoin would just fucking crash? Let those Bitcoin miners start crying when their efforts are all for naught.
Fortune may come your way. China outlawed Bitcoin today. If it wasn't already on the brink, that should help to tip it over.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die