Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sumez

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Sumez »

I've never heard anyone with English as their first language pronounce "too" and "to" the same. I guess they are technically the same, but you'd always put emphasis on the "too" which is supported by the apparently longer vowel.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

May some pronounce "too" "touhou" ?
Last edited by Xyga on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
drauch

Post by drauch »

Too be or not too be, that is the question. Their is a lot of stuff like that that annoys me to.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Sumez wrote:I've never heard anyone with English as their first language pronounce "too" and "to" the same. I guess they are technically the same, but you'd always put emphasis on the "too" which is supported by the apparently longer vowel.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

where are you guys hearing all these people pronouncing too with a long oo sound? i have literally never in my life heard anyone pronounce it like that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

drauch wrote:Too be or not too be, that is the question. Their is a lot of stuff like that that annoys me to.
Please. Make it stop..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I do have a tendency to perceive spoken words differently based simply on knowledge of the difference between the words (happens in my own language as well, which makes it extra painful to me when people mix up the spelling).
But I'm pretty fucking sure you wouldn't say "Go to hell" (emphasis on "hell") the same way you'd see "He's too fast" (emphasis on "too"). :) The different usage of the words makes a big difference, and if you try moving the emphasis in each sentence, it will also sound like the other word. At least it does to me.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i'd say it's more that to gets truncated in general speach to t', although not in the over the top yorkshire way, rather than too having a long oo sound. often, as you point out, it's to do with position in a sentence and emphasis more than anything.
Last edited by Immryr on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, I think the naysayers are thinking too much into this. The extra vowel isn't as exaggerated as you may think, but it's certainly there.

Say what Sumez said out loud or to the nearest animal or imaginary being and see how it sounds and you may hear the difference. Or will you here it?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

drauch wrote:Yeah, I think the naysayers are thinking too much into this. The extra vowel isn't as exaggerated as you may think, but it's certainly there.

Say what Sumez said out loud or to the nearest animal or imaginary being and see how it sounds and you may hear the difference. Or will you here it?
yeah, but say the words to, too and two in complete isolation and they sound the same.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote:i'd say it's more that to gets truncated in general speach to t'
I'd say so yeah. Learning the language as a foreigner though, that difference is very apparent. It's difficult for me to imagine "too" being truncated in a similar manner.
Technically they do have the same phonetic definition, but that's also a little confusing. :P
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So now that we're on the subject.

"February". Do you guys say the "R"?
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Sumez wrote:I do have a tendency to perceive spoken words differently based simply on knowledge of the difference between the words (happens in my own language as well, which makes it extra painful to me when people mix up the spelling).
But I'm pretty fucking sure you wouldn't say "Go to hell" (emphasis on "hell") the same way you'd see "He's too fast" (emphasis on "too"). :) The different usage of the words makes a big difference, and if you try moving the emphasis in each sentence, it will also sound like the other word. At least it does to me.
Ones perception of a language that is not native, can be subjective.
Your second example above, is one of purposeful emphasis. This of course, does occur.
In "everyday" usage though, there is no difference.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think those were pretty "everyday" usages. In fact I can't think of any example where it's not the case.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Regarding February, sometimes I do both because I'm a giant idiot.

What about Ibuprofen? IBEProfen or IBYOOProfen or IBOOProfen?

Rumor has it if you say it wrong it won't be as effective or affective.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Immryr wrote:
drauch wrote:Yeah, I think the naysayers are thinking too much into this. The extra vowel isn't as exaggerated as you may think, but it's certainly there.

yeah, but say the words to, too and two in complete isolation and they sound the same.
I put the emphasis on too because I know better. You can't trick me!
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Sumez wrote:In fact I can't think of any example where it's not the case.
It is the case, in every case, where there is no emphasis.
Sumez wrote:So now that we're on the subject.

Jesus Christ! :lol:
Let fits of rhotacism commence!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Let's compare emphatic with emphasis. For me, it's too close for comfort.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sorry too confuse matters more but it's context sensitive.

A cabbie asking "where to, mate?" Says to as the elongated "too"

A letter addressed to (short) a dear friend is read "To a dear friend.." as the long version, I think?
Sumez wrote:So now that we're on the subject.

Uh oh, my scummy Essex twinge comes out sometimes as 'Feburee' or 'Febuary' and sometimes correctly, depending on who i'm talking to.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

While we're at it, the use of "bear" and "bare" interchangeably when writing. It's "bears a resemblance", not "bares".

I know they are pronunced the same, but I figured out the difference on my own when I was learning English at the age of 15, FFS. (Could also explain why "Streets Of Rage" did not retain its original Japanese name of "Bare Knuckle".)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Bear Knuckle would have sounded a whole lot cooler
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Durandal wrote:Knuckle
btw just the word reminds me of that new meme that's all over the internet, giving me mass murder fantasies every time I see it

unbareable
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
drauch

Post by drauch »

You can't escape. I thought I could avoid memes here, but I was a fool.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I get kinda bummed looking at romhacking projects and just seeing infinite Chrono Trigger/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Mario, etc. hacks coming out, then going down to the Translation section and seeing all these people willing to translate games but everyone's working on Chrono Trigger EX 3.7 GOLD.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I feel the same way, but it's inevitable, really. People are going to spend time doing what they like, and most of the people qualified to do that sort of thing aren't hipster weebs. (Plus the ones that are have already translated most of the high-profile titles like Key/VisualArt's eroge, anime tie-ins, and Square's back catalog.) While there's no shortage of games that could benefit from more exposure (seriously, who even knew about Lunatic Dawn before the translation announcement?), they're all pretty niche.

Still waiting for someone to pick up the White Album remake:
Spoiler

可愛い ~
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh yeah, totally. That's why it's a little thing that annoys me. Or maybe it's a major thing. But you get the gist ;)

Mainly just want to see Linda Cubed and Mizzurna Falls completed. Translations are done on those. Lots of older PC98era and PSX/Saturn titles I want to play, and eventually will, just quite a bit above my skill level with all the text at the moment. But yeah, they're all pretty niche, so I don't expect that.

But at the same time, it's like fuuuuuuuuuuuck, give Zelda and Final Fantasy a rest already, ya dig? I've got no beef, and I even like most of these titles, it's just a wee bit over-saturation. Like these are the dudes that go to a con all dressed up as the Joker or that Kingdom Hearts guy en masse and it never crosses their mind, "Ehhhhh, maybe I should try something else."
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Metal Max 2 too... :|
bear in mind i pronounced that wrong.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I doubt those folks even know or care about the other stuff. There's always been a divide between the popular and the obscure, but it's gotten worse with surface nerd stuff being marketed to everyone and people claiming geeky is cool or some other nonsense.

Fangirling over Chris Evans with a beard = normal
Actually knowing who people like Steve Englehart and Mark Gruenwald are = loser w/ no life
Having Mario/Eeveelution/creeper/Companion Cube on your wallet = normal
Playing a Fire Emblem game that doesn't have shipping = weeaboo manchild

The sad truth is that since vidya and capeshit have little inherent value as media people have next to no reason to look beyond the mainstream. Nine times out of ten knowing it gets you neither money nor friendship, kind of like being good at shmups. (Just another reason SHMUPS ARE SUCH A NICHE GENRE™) I do feel it's an issue when people with this kind of mindset are the ones acting as ambassadors to the general public, but again, little inherent value.

Then again, I'm an AKB48 fan, so who am I to judge?
Spoiler

とも〜みちゃん~
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
drauch

Post by drauch »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Having Mario/Eeveelution/creeper/Companion Cube on your wallet = normal
Old friend from High School never read comics his entire life. Avengers movie came out, got a wallet with all the Kirby illustration heads on it.

Didn't watch Star Wars until the new ones. Now has an entire room in his house dedicated to Star Wars. I think he's 31.

The struggle is real.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.