Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by drauch »

Yeah, that's some conspiracy theory stuff right there.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

drauch wrote:Yeah, that's some conspiracy theory stuff right there.
I can see where it seems that way, and in general I am not a conspiracy type of guy.

It's the wording under GSP. It says they can liquidate any item they deem undeliverable. There is an account with 35k feedback that resells liquidated items.

Here is a PC that was sold with GSP: https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/273283847165 ... 675.l10137

The buyer (who is in the UK) never received it.

Here is the relist, with ripped pictures which is also legal due to the wording in the GSP agreement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-IBM-Pe ... 7675.l2557

Believe what you will, but I've seen this happen many times. Also imo it's not about what they think they can resell so much as anything where they won't turn enough of a profit based on what they charged for shipping. Since they overcharge for shipping and then send large bulk shipments overseas to save money.
Sumez wrote:That sounds like jungle drums to me. Why would eBay do that? The third biggest online marketplace risking their reputation by fucking over their customers? Their entire existance pretty much relies on safe transactions.

I really wish you'd get the choice as a buyer though. Why should I pay $20 for GSP shipping for a $10 item? There are so many supposedly cheap NES and SNES games that are exclusive to US that I avoid buying at the moment simply due to the huge cost of importing them.
Most people don't care because the seller keeps their money and the buyer gets refunded in these situations.

Honestly international shipping sucks completely now. Most items are not worth shipping.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

The fact that Ebay hasn't said anything about it is also discomforting.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I don't think many people have caused a stink about it.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it's happened to me twice, years ago. Where the buyer never got the item and it reappeared with a huge power seller. Thankfully the buyers understood and didn't leave negative feedback for me. A big part of why I quit using it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I take my dog to the dog park. A guy I've seen before but never spoken to asks about my dog and it turns out he had a dog with the same name who died recently. The guy starts choking up telling the story so I listen and nod to be sympathetic.

Next thing I know, the guy's telling me his life's story and every single solitary detail about his feeding and training habits for his own pets, including his recipes for homemade dog food and booze popsicles. I'm just nodding and saying, "uh huh," because I'm stuck in a politeness trap and there's no clear escape hatch from this conversation. Finally a new person comes in with her dog, he's distracted by greeting her, and I make a hurried excuse about my dog's black fur in the heat to make my escape.

As I'm leaving he says, "I hope you make one of my recipes for your dog!" I make a friendly but noncommittal answer and his face starts to drop. "You know I have clients who pay me for this food, but I gave you the recipe for free because I can see you love your dog." Again I'm polite but noncommittal. "Okay, well next time I see you I'm gonna ask if you made it!"

Oh great. I give a sympathetic ear to a guy getting over the death of his dog, and now I'm stuck in a real-life Seinfeld scanario.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Brutal. Image Politeness trap is a motherfucker for we sensitive souls. Image Or as I prefer to think of it, politeness suicide bomb.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:now I'm stuck in a real-life Seinfeld scanario
Sounds like the Cable Guy. You got a friend for life there, MM :mrgreen:
In a twist ending, with each dog owner he accosts and after inquiring as to the dogs name, he changes the name of his supposedly recently passed pooch to suit!

No excuse next time, if you let it go all Seinfeld, though. Show no mercy :lol:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

This isn't as big a deal as my previous gripes, but the potential for disaster just boils my blood.

There are some new people who moved in on a route my dog and I take to the dog park every morning. They have a pit bull. Also they must be really cool people because they never leash their pit bull. This is not a puppy pit bull, this is a full grown gladiator of a dog. But at least the owner is usually out there barely paying attention to their dog whenever it's out.

This morning we're walking home from the dog park and that pitbull is off the leash, standing on the front sidewalk, no owner anywhere to be seen, and it's staring at us with whites in its eyes. I decide discretion is the better part of valor and cross the street. As we're passing by the house I see the front door is open, but nobody's standing in the doorway keeping an eye on the dog. Nobody's in the window. They're so fucking cool they just open the front door and trust that their battle-breed dog won't act on its instincts. As we pass out of sight I see the dog is now standing in the street (in their weak defense, the house is in a dead-end cul-de-sac at the edge of the park, but still there's an apartment complex whose parking lot empties into that very cul-de-sac).

German Shepherd owners don't leave their dogs outside unattended! Maltese owners don't leave their dogs outside unattended! But this is the third time I've run across a pit bull owner too cool to leash or even watch their dog in a city with busy traffic. What is it about this particular dog breed and their owners?

Edit: Holy shit, someone made a videogame about an insanely neglectful pit bull owner in a busy city.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

All I'm hearing here is "Just own a cat", tbh.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Do I LOOK like I want a home full of boxes of shit?

My dog is great! So are most of the other dog owners in town. But all it takes is one irresponsible moron with a dangerous breed dog they don't control to turn a great situation terrible.

orange808

Post by orange808 »

It annoys me when lazy dog owners take their dog to a public space or another person's yard to shit and piss.

Your dog should be doing his business in your garden. If you don't want to clean up after it, get rid of it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

One of our neighbors had this big-ass white dog which they would never keep on a leash. And our dog was a small Maltheser/Shih-Tzu breed who could never get along with other dogs at all and starts barking and getting all excited when one gets near, let alone if the other dog is bigger than him, so imagine what happens when this unleashed giant dog runs all the way across the street as my dog passes the corner before me. Thankfully our dog was light and small enough to be carried, because this big white one didn't want to play around. At least his owner showed up in time to take him back, yet the incident did not convince him to put his dog on a bloody leash.

At least it wasn't like the time when me and my little brother took our dog for a walk around our grandparents' house in Bosnia. On the opposite side of their house across the street there was this giant dilapidated apartment complex where a pack of stray dogs like to hang around. We figure it's fine because our parents walked the same route with our dog anyways. Then one of them starts barking, and before we know it the whole fucking pack charges over a busy street just to get to our dog. Just as we started to run back home one of the strays picked up our dog from behind and tossed him in the air. We barely left the house for a minute and we already get assaulted.

Thankfully we managed to get home safely, though our dog was left with a nasty bite mark which had to be treated, and some trauma as well. Poor guy didn't even want to leave the house for the duration of our stay. Even a few years later the local council wouldn't bother with taking care of the strays.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:My dog is great! So are most of the other dog owners in town. But all it takes is one irresponsible moron with a dangerous breed dog they don't control to turn a great situation terrible.
God almighty! What are you, some kind of breed-realist?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Zen wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:My dog is great! So are most of the other dog owners in town. But all it takes is one irresponsible moron with a dangerous breed dog they don't control to turn a great situation terrible.
God almighty! What are you, some kind of breed-realist?
Of course not! I'm a "Westie-chauvinist!"

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Mischief Maker wrote:Do I LOOK like I want a home full of boxes of shit?
no, you look like the kind of person who likes walking around picking up big steaming turds. :D
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Udderdude wrote:All I'm hearing here is "Just own a cat", tbh.
I love our dog (and our cat of course), but got damn do I hate being a dog owner. Only doing it because my girlfriend kept asking for it. Why the hell do people do it volountarily?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i was outbid on a king's field iv auction for the millionth time, in fact this time i bid the exact same amount as the person who won, but they bid sooner.

weirdly the item was put up for sale again within two days of the auction ending. this looked a bit fishy so i checked the sellers old auctions and they all have the same person bidding on them and if that person wins the auction the item goes back on sale.... the shill bidding cunt.

i've reported the person but i doubt ebay will do anything.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm glad I bought that game many years ago, but I really regret getting the European version instead of US. Thinking of maybe selling mine for the old switcheroo.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

what's wrong with the euro version?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If I recall correctly, it doesn't have a 60hz mode, right? The series is famous for being slow as it is.

EDIT: Just looked into it, and there's no 60hz mode, but apparently there are a ton of differences between the two releases. But I'm having a hard time finding out if one is considered superior to the other. Apparently they have two completely different translations.

EDIT2: According to this thread, the PAL translation is terrible, despite not featuring the mundane names of internet people who supported Agetec's release:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/43 ... y/51344611
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

oh man, i did not know that. maybe fate was telling me i shouldn't buy it when i was constantly getting out bid.

hmm. i don't currently have a set up for playing import ps2 games, or a pc which can emulate them. sucks.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Found a version difference guide here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/43170 ... faqs/72854

Seems entirely centered around the translation, don't know if it's the only difference. I just skimmed it to avoid spoilers, but it doesn't look too bad, and I think the guy was maybe just reacting on the fact that his frame of reference was a guide that was mostly useless for him due to it.

For all I know the differences in the translation might actually be closer to the Japanese script. Seems the biggest story difference is that one guy is actually two different guys in the US script? I know for a fact that the US translation pulled something like that for King's Field II, introducing characters that didn't exist in the Japanese script. And the names were always changed.

Man I really wish there were better resources on this series out there.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

The biggest problem with the EU translation is that they liked the name “Sir Salvor” so much that they used it for two completely unrelated and important characters. To put this into perspective, imagine if the English language version of Dark Souls inexplicably named both Gwyn and Artorias “Knight Artorias.”
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, that's pretty insane.
ryu

Post by ryu »

That has to be an error...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Let's reiterate here. Does the game address two obviously different characters using the same name, or are they simply the same character in that translation - and in that case, what does the Japanese version do?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Video Games where the setting is a simulated test or a training exercise before your character presumably goes triumphantly out to do really cool stuff in the world after the game's over.

BIL

Post by BIL »

What about when you think you're in a sim, but ACTUALLY you're out in the real world doing all sorts of alpha shit like blowing up desert fortresses and bringing down flying battleships? :shock:
Spoiler

Metal Stoker has superior-level VR twist ending. Image
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Spoiler
So basically they slapped on the surprise twist from Ender's Game?
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

Apparently. :lol: You even blow up a laboratory full of artificial lifeforms so I guess they nailed the genocide angle too. :shock: