Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BulletMagnet

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BulletMagnet »

So, about a month and a half ago I had some very minor surgery done - the procedure itself took less than a half hour, and after waking up I was given a bag of chips to eat and sent directly home. Beforehand I'd spoken to the surgery center in an attempt to figure out how many bills to expect in the aftermath (how much they'll be, of course, you're not allowed to know until they're right in front of you); in a nutshell, I was told that I'd be billed by 1) The surgery center itself, 2) The doctor who performed it, and 3) The anesthesiologist who assisted. The person I spoke to offered to take the first payment over the phone, so I forked over about $875.00 and figured that part was done.

Fast-forward to a week or so ago and a new bill from the surgery center comes in, for $1,450.00 or so. I call them up to find out what it is, and it turns out the initial charge I'd already paid was only a pre-determined percentage of the total cost, which they supposedly do as a courtesy in case you wind up meeting your deductible in the interim via other medical costs; none of this was explained to me the first time around, naturally, but it doesn't matter, because either way that half-hour has now cost me between 2,300 and 2,400 bucks. And I haven't even heard from either of the doctors yet.

The really depressing part? Have a gander at the summaries the insurance company sent me and it turns out I got off easy; if I hadn't managed to meet my deductible, the surgery center would have billed me $4,100.00 for it.

And if I didn't have insurance? Then they would have charged me over $27,500.00. That, by the by, is significantly more than I make in a year, after taxes. And again, that's just the place where the surgery was performed, before the doctors have even taken their cut.

So yeah, if you wonder why I reserve so much bile for people who insist that the rest of the world are the ones who are crazy when it comes to health care, it's because I can only wonder what sort of posts I'd be making if I had any major health issues to deal with.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I wonder how much of the bullshit antivaxx/"wellness" mentality has to do with the fact that many of those individuals would be rendered homeless by a single visit to the hospital.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I wonder how much of the bullshit antivaxx/"wellness" mentality has to do with the fact that many of those individuals would be rendered homeless by a single visit to the hospital.
I used to think that, but I'm more and more convinced that it all stems from hucksters selling alternatives.

From Alex Jones and his various supplements to ex-Dr Andrew Wakefield with his special (and more expensive) autism-free measles vaccine.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BulletMagnet wrote:And if I didn't have insurance? Then they would have charged me over $27,500.00.
The reality is that the healthcare and insurance system of the United States does not in any way resemble that of a competent and functioning nation. It's more akin to a failed state, where you have to choose between basic medical attention, or not going bankrupt in some cases. I seriously feel bad for sane people in the USA who recognize how absurd the system is and have no means of escaping it (such as immigration).

It's always a wonder that this hasn't been addressed already, in the sense of a mob bearing pitchforks and torches on the doorsteps of the politicians who continuously hamper attempts to reform the country's healthcare. Probably no coincidence that all of those politicians are members of the same political party that attempted an armed insurrection and is currently claiming insurrectionists were merely "tourists".
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: It's always a wonder that this hasn't been addressed already, in the sense of a mob bearing pitchforks and torches on the doorsteps of the politicians who continuously hamper attempts to reform the country's healthcare.

Probably no coincidence that all of those politicians are members of the same political party that attempted an armed insurrection and is currently claiming insurrectionists were merely "tourists".
That's not true. Nancy Pelosi herself violently and vehemently opposes any health care reform to get in line with the rest of the developed western world.

It's completely bipartisan.

As so many Reagan Democrats are fond of saying, Sanders and The Squad aren't Dems. So, that leaves the Democratic party naked and exposed as the shameless right wing party they really are. The Dems represent wealthy professionals. The Republican party represents wealthy rentiers. Everyone else is completely unrepresented.
We apologise for the inconvenience
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Nobody posted this here and now it's... locked...
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

My extended family got together for the first time in years for a funeral.

Tonight we were having dessert and my brother-in-law helped clear away the silverware. What I discovered to my horror when I entered the kitchen was that he dumped all the silverware into the nonstick pot for my high-tier fuzzy logic Zojirushi rice cooker that I've kept in mint condition for over a decade. The silverware punctured the nonstick coating and it flakes off when I rub the spots. A cursory google search shows that replacement pots average $90 apiece. An equivalent replacement cooker now costs upwards of $300.

But I haven't seen the guy for years and I don't want to leave on bad terms, but God Damn it! Do I eat the cost for the sake of family unity?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mischief Maker wrote:Do I eat the cost for the sake of family unity?
Yes. But you knew the answer to that already.

That really sucks. Unless you think it was done on-purpose, it's basically just a terrible cost of doing business as a human being. Try to think of it like you chipped a tooth or something.

Anyway, sorry I'm like the least helpful person ever, but I hope you can not freak out about it. There's basically no path to feeling better about it other than just letting go; lot's of deep breaths.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

MM: you could always very politely bring the issue to his attention and carefully explain him that he created a problem that is quite expensive to solve, though his intentions were certainly different (but sorry: why did he put silverware in what might have looked as a "random pot"? In doubt, I do not touch anything if I am at someone's place and I do not know how I might be of help or, conversely, cause damage).

If he did a blunder, you may be happy with an apology and a brief discussion, and find this as an excellent occasion to buy a new rice cooker, and maybe give your current rice cooker to him as a memento of the "accident". A bit of a wicked choice, perhaps, but he may discover that cooking rice with a rice cooker is time-saving and healthy (etc. etc.). There is always a way to turn this kind of event into something more constructive and healthy, I believe (especially if you don't want to: I am by no means a family person, but sometimes trying to be one is helpful).

I am a bit surprised by the costs you mention, but costs of rice cookers in Asia/South Korea/Japan are far lower regardless of the brand and I am currently used to them, I must admit. I know that it sucks because with a bit of care, a Zojirushi is more or less eternal. My mother-in-law has one from 35 years ago, i.e. when my wife's younger sister was born, and it is working pretty much fine (...modulo changing some spare parts every one in a while).

On a similar note, I have been using a traditional moka/espress machine from 2010 (my own marriage), and my father has a traditional Bialetti espresso machine from his own graduation day (1983!), in excellent condition (again, spare parts etc. etc.). The pride in taking care of daily utilities is something I can relate to, but "possesions" are just "possesions", too: I had to learn that.

...This only to say: asian people who still find it surprising that some non-asian people can use chopsticks, and non-asian people who ask me if I prefer "western" cutlery. People, it's 2021, and I am old enough to be well-versed in using both types (also because of S. Korean in-law, working in China, etc. etc. etc.).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Yeah, family is worth more than a measly $90 pot. I was just venting. The house is so full, I don't really have a place to be by myself at the moment and so I decided to silently scream it into the internet.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I had an expensive rice cooker until recently (don't think it was $90 expensive though), and we ended up throwing it out because of how much stupid space that thing took up, having only a single function.

I'm not sure what the purpose of it even was. Cooking rice in a regular pot works just perfectly. :P

I've also learned not to get too attached to kitchen utensils of any kind. They tend to suffer all kinds of dumb fates in my home.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Cook some quinoa and some forbidden rice, then toss in some taco spice and olive oil and some cotija cheese and you have a delicious cheap and most importantly super healthy meal with barely any preparation time, no matter how busy you are. My rice machine has paid for itself many times over.

As for why it's now so expensive, parentheses I paid $120 for it 10 years ago close parentheses, blame Johnny covid-19, and probably a little bit of Trump's trade war with China.

Edit: stupid voice recognition software.
Last edited by Mischief Maker on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Mischief Maker wrote:Tonight we were having dessert and my brother-in-law helped clear away the silverware. What I discovered to my horror when I entered the kitchen was that he dumped all the silverware into the nonstick pot for my high-tier fuzzy logic Zojirushi rice cooker that I've kept in mint condition for over a decade. The silverware punctured the nonstick coating and it flakes off when I rub the spots. A cursory google search shows that replacement pots average $90 apiece. An equivalent replacement cooker now costs upwards of $300.
This is why, when you have people visiting, you take anything even remotely of value and hide it far, far away from them.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Person: *mentions film*
Me: Oh what's that about?
Person: Oh it's got such and such actor, and directed by yadda yadda (invariably people i don't know)
Me: ......
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I had an expensive rice cooker until recently (don't think it was $90 expensive though), and we ended up throwing it out because of how much stupid space that thing took up, having only a single function.

I'm not sure what the purpose of it even was.
Sorry, you gotta spend way over $100 or so to really experience the good stuff. The high end rice cookers are amazing. I have this Zojirushi and it was money well spent (was fortunate to get it on sale for a bit less than that). It's certainly pricy for such a specialized appliance, and you pay for the size too in terms of how many cups it can cook, but it can keep rice warm and delicious for a solid 24 hours, cooked perfectly, and with basically little to no effort involved. Considering how much I love bowls of rice for breakfast and dinner, having a highly specialized, top end appliance for this makes me fully appreciate why you see them in use in Japanese households and asian restaurants in general. Without exaggeration it's been one of the single best household purchases I've ever made. I can basically make rice, and get three meals out of it before needing to clean it and make a new one.

I used to have a very basic one button rice cooker and it always overcooked the rice to mush no matter what I seemed to do. Even the sheer quality of the rice that comes out of the Zojirushi is just so much better.
Mischief Maker wrote:What I discovered to my horror when I entered the kitchen was that he dumped all the silverware into the nonstick pot for my high-tier fuzzy logic Zojirushi rice cooker that I've kept in mint condition for over a decade. The silverware punctured the nonstick coating and it flakes off when I rub the spots. A cursory google search shows that replacement pots average $90 apiece.
Annoying, but not worth bringing up I think. Where was the pot itself? Was it still in the rice cooker, did he take the pot out of the rice cooker, or was the pot already outside of the rice cooker being washed? I would be more horrified if the dirty silverware was simply tossed in what is very obviously a cooking appliance, but it'd be a far more understandable mistake if you had the pot out for washing on the counter since I have plenty of steel pots I'll toss silverware into when washing. If that's what happened, next time just leave the pot for the rice cooker inside it until you're ready to wash it yourself, dunno.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I agree with MM and Roo: a top-level rice cooker can be a miracle piece of kitchenware that can be used to cook all kinds of fast, healthy meals. Besides, how can I expect to surive a marriage with a Seoulite without an expensive, posh Zojirushi? :wink:

Though I prefer bread and honey these days, rice and kimchi and a protein source of choice can also be a bliss of a breakfast (the waifu usually uses tuna and our own hand-made kimchi, in fact).

...also, I paid mine 140 USD (900 yuen), but is is a recent ultra-cool model.
The wife studied the instructions for cooking anything beyond rice (32 pages!), but it in theory we could use it to steam dumplings and other stuff, even. Quality costs, but Zojirushi is one of those companies that deserves the price tag. We do have a few more appliances from them: a skillet, or whatever is called in English, and a water boiler, which is another fundamental piece of kitchenware in asia and for asians.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What is the benefit of a water boiler vs a standard kettle? Genuine question here, I only rarely use my kettle (don't drink hot beverages, so it's usually for making cup ramen or for guests who do) so I'm curious.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:What is the benefit of a water boiler vs a standard kettle? Genuine question here, I only rarely use my kettle (don't drink hot beverages, so it's usually for making cup ramen or for guests who do) so I'm curious.
Oh, quite frankly I don't know, except maybe speed: a boiler usually takes little time to reach boiling point. However, please keep in mind that my wife does drink hot water all the time unless it is summer, and that e.g. people at work drink tea and hot water all day long (OK, again not in summer for hot water, and there are exceptions to this rule as well).

Generally speaking, I know that tea connoisseur collleagues do not use boilers when they want properly prepared tea, but at work they can get a cup of tea/coffee (or ramen, indeed), with a plug and sixty seconds of patience. Case in point, I do have a boiler at my office for preparing quick cups of tea/coffee (the teabag/instant coffee rubbish, but what can you do).

Now, on teapots and tea brewing differences in Asian cultures, I admit having no idea, but I know that teashops in China can sell absurdly expensive tea brews, and that you can pay girls in very revealing Qi Pao to brew you tea at the shop, and that it is a complex process requiring considerable skill and time. Thus, if the girl is highly skilled but does not look...attractive in Qi Pao, nobody cares.

I admit that I would not use a kettle for noodles, though, since the anime/manga equation "cup ramen+boiler=quick meal" is hard to toss aside! (The inner weeaboo creeps in....)
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Annoying, but not worth bringing up I think. Where was the pot itself? Was it still in the rice cooker, did he take the pot out of the rice cooker, or was the pot already outside of the rice cooker being washed? I would be more horrified if the dirty silverware was simply tossed in what is very obviously a cooking appliance, but it'd be a far more understandable mistake if you had the pot out for washing on the counter since I have plenty of steel pots I'll toss silverware into when washing. If that's what happened, next time just leave the pot for the rice cooker inside it until you're ready to wash it yourself, dunno.
It was in the sink waiting to be washed. My fault for being lazy. And honestly the markings on those Zojirushi pots don't make them look all that special outside of the machine itself.

I'm not gonna bring it up at all.

But thanks for letting me vent anyway, guys, it's been a rough week.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mischief Maker wrote: My fault for being lazy.
I'm not sure I would go with "my fault" as part of that dialog, and I don't particularly think that "lazy" is an accurate description in the situation. You were having an a-typical week with lots of unexpected things and guests going on, and there was a bunch of stuff to deal with. Blaming anyone, especially yourself, for a casualty of a difficult situation isn't really productive.

But, hey, if you want to make yourself your own bad-guy, what's it to me?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, that sucks then. It's one of those things that something unforseen happened and you can't really blame 'em for it. It feels worse cause you're kicking yourself over something that's really nobody's fault (you're dealing with a funeral, it's a really distracting thing to be going through so it's totally understandable). Sorry.

Reminds me of a time I had a piece of artwork sitting on the ground in the basement since it needed to be moved out of the way temporarily. We've never had a flood before in a decade of living here, it's totally dry down there, why worry, right?

A week later, the bottom of the water heater decided to fail in the middle of the night. And, as it turns out, the concrete floor was so poorly levelled that all the water went AWAY from the drain in the ground a meter away from the water heater. It was only like 1 cm of water on the ground, but it still soaked everything. The artwork was totally ruined and became moldy despite our best attempts to save it.

Oh well. We put up racks of shelving and store everything on those now off the ground.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I get that quick and easy rice meals are nice, but what I don't get is how a rice cooker will get you that to any bigger extent than a pot and a stove :D
The biggest amount of "work" involved in cooking rice involves measuring up the rice/water and washing the rice beforehand. And you still need to do that with a cooker :)

I'm assuming you guys are doing something else/more with the cooker that I've never been aware of.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sumez wrote: The biggest amount of "work" involved in cooking rice involves measuring up the rice/water and washing the rice beforehand. And you still need to do that with a cooker :)
If all I ever cooked was long grain rice, I would agree with you. Short grain rices (of all kinds) are more complex because of the high amounts of rice gluten (not to be confused with the gluten-free gluten that everyone talks about- that's totally different gluten). What happens is that the gluten will soak up the moisture and become goopy if you steam it too much, and it will burn terribly if the heat is too high for too long. There is a much finer balance between heat and water content to be maintained, and having cooker takes all of the guesswork out of it. You just put the rice and water in the pot with the cup it comes with (keep the original cup!) and press the buttons. It's not impossible to do on the stove at all, but it's not as universally easy.

For a long time, the main advantage of the stove would be that the bottom surface of the rice gets nice and crispy, while the cookers tend to give a more consistent pot throughout. In recent years, they have developed ceramic pot cookers that can cook a pot like a 17th century waifu. https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/rice ... #container

I would have one if they weren't $750
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

vol.2 wrote:You just put the rice and water in the pot with the cup it comes with (keep the original cup!)
That or measure the cup size of the scoop that comes with the rice cooker, just in case you lose it. Mine was like exactly 1/3 or 2/3 of a measuring cup? I can't remember which, have it written down somewhere, but if I ever lose the cup that comes with it I'll be fine. But yeah, the scoop that comes with the rice cooker is not necessarily a standard size, it could differ per machine? So try not to lose it.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Well, if you have rice for each meal, a rice cooker is also quite handy, provided that you cook enough to last a 24-hour cycle.

...and I think that anime actually give a good rendition of how much rice Japan and other asian people eat per day.
The whole "meal=90% rice and 10% something else" is a way of life that I see as being quite cumbersome without rice cookers.
Just to be really boring and repetitive, the wife has indeed rice every meal (every 3 hours, more like), and even cooking it once and then storing it in the fridge and microwaving it when needed would end up sucking some time.
drauch

Post by drauch »

We really need a rice thread!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Epilogue: While the pot is damaged, I cooked a serving last night and didn't have any sticking or flaking problems, so I can probably get away with this scratched pot until prices settle down post-covid.

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

drauch wrote:We really need a rice thread!
Oh, definitely. How about a "nutrition" thread with a big focus on the most popular carb source around the forum? :wink:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up a new old car yesterday. Driven it literally twice, electrical issues galore. F*****g fuming.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Marc wrote:Picked up a new old car yesterday. Driven it literally twice, electrical issues galore. F*****g fuming.
Oh no. That sounds like a lemon to me. I've seen this kind of thing happen many times where people end up taking a car back over and over again for something like that. If you can do it, I would strongly urge you to just take it back and get a different one; don't mess around with trying to let them fix it or something, because it could just never end.

Good luck.