Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obscura

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Obscura »

Apparently the dude who made this piece of shit for dumbasses who are too lazy to learn to play four guitar chords has become a millionaire, thanks to the memetic power of television.

I fell down the hole of "products for wimps who want to learn guitar but don't want to hurt their widdle fingers" and was having fun laughing at the shit at first, but man, the thought that this stupid fucking thing probably made some asshole more money than Mike Soldano made for designing the cascading high-gain preamp that every high-gain amp that isn't the Mesa Mark series uses makes me really angry.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I don't know whether to be mad or laugh and thank you for bringing this to my attention...
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Chord Buddy...

Taaaaaabaaaarnak....

Tell me this isn't real...

Tell me this isn't REAL...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Oh, it's real all right. And the "guitar teacher" who "invented" it has made millions of dollars thanks to this network TV segment: https://www.facebook.com/TheChordBuddy/ ... 298326643/

You totally should watch that, as well as the video on the Amazon page. On the video on the Amazon page, he brags about how his "teaching tool" can teach people to play their four cowboy chords in "as little as two months"... christ, who the hell needed two months to be able to strum four chords? Then in the Facebook video, he says that without his little stupid thing, it would take someone over two months to get to the point that they'd be able to badly strum the three chords in Amazing Grace?!?!?! And he claims he was a guitar teacher?!?!?! If he needed over two months to teach someone to badly strum three chords, he's the worst teacher ever.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Obscura wrote:YOU DON'T KNOW THE CHASM AND MORTUARY?!?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!
?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!!?!

WTF, MAN!

Educate thyself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZjMuxTvyv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnH_5a4ClmY
New to this forum. One of the bass players in my last band Satan's Hallow played in The Chasm for a few years.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Watching someone on 2-6 of Vanquish who has a fully upgraded LFE Gun and is aware of its usefulness as a close range fully piercing weapon fire off all 16 of his remaining shots uselessly at the giant laser cannon that's way too far away to actually hit, all while wondering if he's actually hitting it. Made worse by his other two weapon slots being the Laser Cannon and the Sniper Rifle, both weapons which are long range sniping weapons suitable for that enemy.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Speaking of gaming, and split off from my unintentional megapost on Oblivion, here's some nightmare fuel about everybody's favorite ZeniMax Media:

https://imgur.com/a/MH0OK
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The post seems pretty one-sided, and I'm not sure of the point he's trying to make in the end.

Now, I won't ever doubt for a second that Zenimax is evil incarnate, however I'd like for the contents of that posts to be a little more clear on the actual issue.
For example, what exactly does "reject milestones" entail? If there's a genuine issue with them being rejected for no reason, Arkane should have been able to demur. If it's just a question of quality control, there might be good reasons for it happening.
Which is a little odd though, considering Bethesda is notorious for the having worst quality control in the world. And in the case of the Bethesda/Arkane constellation, Prey 2017 was absolutely shock full of frustrating bugs and glitches that made playing the game more of a bother than it should have been.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I was thinking much the same, but there are a number of other sources and companies that tell similar stories. Here's an old one:

https://www.bluesnews.com/a/268/open-le ... -softworks

We're never going to hear another side to the story, so it is fine to take it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Any game review that begins with "I wanted to like this game, I really did"
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Wait :

where's Xyga???
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Just moved back to the States from the UK and trying to find a mobile data plan that's even half as good as I could get in the UK. Every plan I find is more expensive than my UK plan (which included paying for a new iPhone), has less data, and doesn't allow tethering unless I get their most expensive plan which I wouldn't dream of needing otherwise.

I assumed the first place I talked to was just shit, but I found out some of their competition have similarly bad options which are even more expensive. I'll keep scouting for a better deal but I'm wondering how the country that launched the iPhone still has such poor options for mobile data. (I did notice this difference when I moved to the UK - but I had kind of hoped the US had gotten its shit together in the meantime)

I'd probably bite the bullet and get it - but my partner doesn't understand why we can't just share his 300 MB/month. :|
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Get PDA.Net and forget about paying extra for tethering if you're on Android. Heck, try it for free and see how it works for you.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

iPhone. Maybe the change to Android is inevitable with Apple killing the headphone port.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's hilarious that 300 mb/m even exists. I'm using the cheapest plan you can possibly have for a phone where I live, and I never use more than 1GB a month. I think my plan gives me like 40GB...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I'm sure he's had it for the better part of a decade, ha.

Best part? It allows tethering.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

How is your plan even able to prevent that?! I didn't realise that was a thing
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sumez wrote:How is your plan even able to prevent that?! I didn't realise that was a thing
Not sure how carriers here in USA were able to get away with that (probably lots of crying, bitching, moaning and lobbying), but it's the equivalent of your water utility company charging you one rate for the water you use in the bathroom, and a higher one for that in the kitchen, IMHO.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

cursory web search says iphones can work with Tello
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Specineff wrote:the equivalent of your water utility company charging you one rate for the water you use in the bathroom, and a higher one for that in the kitchen
......................... what the hell man? :P
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Heh. Think about it: Data is data, whether ebay, this forum, Amazon, etc, are displayed on your phone's screen, or sent to your computer through tethering. But carriers here in the USA charge extra to allow me to tether and send that very same data to my computer, instead of browsing on the phone's screen, even if I'm on an unlimited plan. Or they only allow a limited amount of data (8GB) to be used as hotspot. Hence the bathroom water vs kitchen water analogy. (Didn't know what else to use, TBH. :lol: )
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Some electric utilities charge customers based on "peak" vs. "off-peak" times. Add "smart meters" to the mix, and your utility has to do some guesswork on when you and how much you used. I've read one person got billed for multiple MEGAwatts - in one billing period.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Specineff wrote:Hence the bathroom water vs kitchen water analogy.
Oh! I thought that was an actual thing that happened somewhere. Sounds just as out there as what you are saying about the tethering, really.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

switch the axe and the tuna for maximum profit!

Also, some tasty news about e-commerce:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/11/who ... ping-cart/

I think NoScript mostly covers this (from the user's perspective), but it shows that many sites don't know what code they're serving.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yup, that's how the recent Ticketmaster breach happened - random third party code running on the website was compromised. I got stung because I had to turn NoScript off to get the payment to go through, the whole site was so reliant on external content - but because I had to do that, I made sure I used my credit card. Glad I did.

But it shows just how little direct control website owners elect to have and how little they know about what's running on their sites. Heaven help anyone who is blindly navigating these sites in a plain browser, blissfully believing that SSL is protecting them. Using NoScript really highlights how bad it is when you get a tangled mess of a website that won't even display anything unless you permit a tonne of external content to run.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I always love it when I go to a website I haven't been to before, and half a dozen random domain names (plus obviously sketchy ones consisting entirely of random letters) are trying to run who the fuck knows what, but have been blocked by NoScript. :lol:

uBlock Origin also has a Malware Domains section .. highly reccomend turning all of those on as well.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

What happen to instruction manuals for games nowadays??..I really miss those esp the art in them.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fucking ebay scalper sonuvabitches.

I see some asshole is busy selling the Corio2 machines that were going for $40 at a ridiculous mark up.

Fuckers.

That's why I didn't post anything about downscaling with it on the open forums, but the news eventually got out... and here we are.

Before you know it, these assholes always swoop in and this community always lets them win.

It's not worth the money! Stop letting the bastards rape you!
We apologise for the inconvenience
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.
I miss them for complex games 8)

I had this friend at school who read those manuals cover to cover, fighting games esp.

I swear no one could beat this guy playing SFII/ MK etc , he knew all the moves (while most of us were still looking at the pad trying to figure it out) he had already wiped the floor with us. Even at the arcades he would make a bee line for SFII , line of kids trying to beat him, he's on there all night until the older kids threatened to break his fingers hahahaha great day's