Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I assure you even many Americans are surprised to find out about ambulance bills :shock:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:Lol, it's quite impressive how different various ideas of what is "backwards" can be. :P

I'm seriously sorry for all the Americans that I hear about (on an almost daily basis due to a few international communities I frequent) who suffer so heavily from hospital, education, and even ambulance bills! Especially the last one is so unfathomably hard to believe, I'd have called it a hoax if several Americans hadn't already knocked it into my head that it's absolutely real.
America essentially has the social welfare quality of a failed, or at best a developing nation (the current polite terms for what used to be known as third world countries). You are absolutely screwed if you are not fortunate enough to have a job with proper benefits due to the deathgrip America's for-profit healthcare system has on the nation, as well as the broken state of their electoral and political systems preventing real progressive reforms from taking place.

Canada's not perfect either mind you - some amount of dental and optical care should be covered for everyone, but those are not where I am so a job with good dental and eye care benefits if you wear glasses is helpful. Oh well.

We also have ambulance fees in Canada, but the price is extremely low: $45 normally, $245 if it's deemed medically unnecessary as a penalty to deter abusing it when it's not an emergency. American fees are about ten times as much (!!).
This person is drowning in debt from a health scare in hospital last year and still telling me how awful and commie they are in Europe and Canada.

Apparently, reading and doing math is too hard. There's no point in even bothering to argue. Some people can't understand facts or do math.
It's unfortunate, but a lot of Americans do not realize that for-profit medical care does not improve the quality of care and drastically raises costs for everyone. If America outlawed for-profit medical care services and had country-wide healthcare coverage, costs for services would go down drastically because the government would be negotiating with healthcare providers for reasonable rates as opposed to the ridiculously high expenses America currently pays for lifesaving healthcare due to corporate lobbyists doing their best to insure for-profit healthcare providers are able to keep getting rich off of sick people.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I thought is was simply because in 'Murica the simple thought of sharing the burden of whatever in life with anyone - not your family or at least same-etchnic-cultural community - basically meant condoning communist state-organized theft and advantaging potential social competitiors, 'strangers', at your expense.
While everyone getting screwed by one of the most evil industries capitalism ever birthed, is okay, as long as it follows principles of the dumbest social darwinist rule like:
"strong gets treatment, weak gets in debt/crippled/dead, but it is moral because loving Jesus kinda makes up for thinking like Ayn Rand" 8)

@BKR; this year in my cuntry we get expanded eye and dental care, for the first time stuff like glasses and dentures will be fully covered just like the rest. probably not the highest quality/custom products tho.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It's unfortunate, but a lot of Americans do not realize that for-profit medical care does not improve the quality of care
mostly agree with your post but just gonna throw a "bémole" here : paying to go for private clinics absolutely gives you better quality of care here in Québec. The wait time in public hospitals is absolutely atrocious, very common to wait 5 hours at the emergency and not uncommon to wait 8 hours. The nurses are severely understaffed and overworked to death, and despite working really hard and doing their best, can't keep up and so not as good care as could be are given and they are more prone to mistake, due to fatigue and depression (unusually high suicide rate in that corp too).
The food in public hospitals is also god awful due to meal having to cost only a few pennies (lots of canned stuff/powdered mash etc)

Whereas in private clinics you're seen right away, service is excellent and you eat well.

Not saying good public service can't be done, it'S probably just badly administrated here or just not funded enough. but just wanted to say that here at least, on january 25th 2020, private clinics give you great service whereas public ones don't.

Of course i'm still happy to have public medical care, even though I have to wait 8 hours and the nurses are burnt out and want to eff themselves off... :(

Also throwing out another "bémol" : there's gotta be redeeming qualities to the US, no? because lots of people emmigrate there and want to live there. This wouldn't happen if it were only negatives, right? Although I do wish them a public medical service
(gotta say, I find it peculiar when I see europeans say that they have it WAY, WAY better than the US. I'm not in either camp mind you, so I don't care. But I just find it... interesting. Kinda hard to believe that they would have this quality of life that is a million times better than US citizens?)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah we're kinda experiencing the same in France, because of budget constraints of course.
Quality/level of treatment proper remains top notch though, that's what we at least expect for our contribution.

Anyway personally my own criticism for the US's system is less that they don't have a worthy one - while they could afford it - but more that they're being charged criminal prices for most everything, the term is no exaggeration, health in the US is literally a mafia holding hundreds of million of people hostage.

That they haven't burned at the stake the mob responsible for this ageless large scale scam yet is the most baffling aspect of it.
FinalBaton wrote:there's gotta be redeeming qualities to the US, no? because lots of people emmigrate there and want to live there. This wouldn't happen if it were only negatives, right?
Each cuntry has its pros and cons, its brighter and darker times also, here we're only talking about one of their bigger salient cons (like often in solidarity when one of our US members gets screwed with medical bills), we're not judging the entire people and all their stuff lol.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't know how similar Australia's public-private hybrid system is to Canada's, but I recently happened upon this article about the former's advantages and disadvantages.

Of to the side, I suppose we have kind of moved away from "little" things at this point, heh.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well the thing to keep in mind at the moment, because there are a lot of forces in the media trying to muddle the issue, is that "Medicare for All" is JUST about insurance. Not about nationalizing the hospitals.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
kitten

Post by kitten »

https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator/sta ... 2995097600

sigh.

long version -
Spoiler
for those not familiar, one of the new goemon patches uses the term "tranny" as a translation of the word "newhalf" in a transphobic gag. newhalf has a complicated etymology that is hard to translate directly, but it is frequently recognized as a transphobic slur. "tranny," on the other hand, is generally considered by trans people to be the equivalent of dropping the n-word, to the popular-enough consideration it became a blocked word on facebook under their hate speech policies in 2017. a lot of people got upset with this (apparently spurned on by hg101 and resetera), and then took it to the translator and started accusing him of this or that. he quickly gets overwhelmed, deletes all of his tweets, goes private overnight, and then emerges with this.

i spoke to the translator before shit seemed to completely explode and explained to him the severity of "tranny" and suggested alternatively using transvestite or crossdresser - terms not inherently offensive, but made offensive over time with them being mis-attributed to trans people (both terms refer to someone who dresses as the the other sex, where for a trans person it is an identity thing). when directed toward a trans person, they commonly find the terms offensive or slurs because they're considered invalidating, and they were sometimes used in transphobic gags of the time period in western games (tranny was still pretty offensive even 25 years ago and i can't recall ever seeing it in a game). i think these would have preserved the bite of the original & offensive comedy, been more era-correct, and be something less contentious in the time being. he thanks me and agrees with me (tweet now deleted, click the previous words for a cached version of the tweet), and i tell him i'm happy to help and would hate to see a translator get discouraged for stepping in discourse they didn't even realize existed. he then... proceeds to continue receiving harassment until he wants to quit his hobby.

this shit drives me fucking up a wall. he - very genuinely - had no idea tranny was as offensive as it is commonly considered, today. that's extremely far from an impossible thing! people sometimes don't know (when it's thrown around on this forum, which is pretty rarely at this point, i've learned to mostly assume it's just because the atmosphere here is crass and that people aren't hateful so much as just wanting to let loose). but he immediately starts getting called alt-right, hateful, etc. nobody engages in good faith or even assumes the possibility of an accident or misstep, anymore. immediately, he is assumed to be in bad faith and attacked, called names, etc. when he defended that he was just translating the source material (the one thing a translator is trying to do), he gets called out as if he's supporting the material or made it worse, etc.

now after having dozens of people quote tweet him, engage him directly with rude comments, insinuate he's inciting hate or a member of an extremist political movement, he's getting told his apology is a "non-apology" - largely by people who don't even give a shit that he spent serious man hours translating a game for people for no reward. this guy put one word he had no idea of the impact of into a game and then suddenly gets a flood of people angrily pounding on his doors to bend over backwards with an impossible apology.

this is a garbage fucking situation. makes people involved in queer discourse look like impossible-to-please bullies and emboldens people actually on the far-right to jump to the guy's defense as some sort of bastion of free speech, like the right to say slurs is a noble hill to die on. one guy making a simple accident (if you can even call it an accident) like this could have been remedied by someone in good faith approaching him and telling him that "tranny" is a bit severe and another term is better (which he's demonstrably receptive to! seems like a nice person), but it instead becomes a hateful mob demanding immediate prostration and he's suddenly in a swirling vortex of political extremes. i mean, jesus, "tranny" isn't even a totally wrong translation, it's just unexpectedly offensive to many. get mad at konami for being politically insensitive 25+ years ago, not a guy working on a passion project to bring games to people who can't read them.
short version -

guy uses "tranny" in a translation in a semi-accurate way, not knowing it's considered highly offensive. left jumps downs his throat, right props him up as proponent of free speech in a too-politically-correct world. he didn't realize it was a bit of an extreme choice that would upset people - an outcome he never wanted or expected - and has now been so polarized and harassed he wants to leave the hobby. ugly, stupid, preventable situation that could have been averted by people approaching him in good faith rather than as a hateful mob assuming he's a monstrous bigot with ill intent.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, I saw this whole situation. And my immediate reaction was that I hated the people commenting on it. What the translator did was obviously wrong, but not more wrong than a "oops I'm sorry I didn't realise it would be this offensive" couldn't fix. It was a bad decision, but not one to hate a person over. But holy shit there are a lot of other people in this debate that I hate.

Especially the people going absolutely crazy about how leaving the word out would be censorship, and the original meaning should be preserved for the sake of history or whatever, that bullshit really bothers me. Because it's bleedingly obvious that they don't give a crap about that, they just feel that the potential of anyone being offended is somehow a threat to their way of life, which is ridiculous. As if even making an attempt to respect other people is somehow a curse on them.
Having used "transgender" or whatever in the translation would have been just as accurate no matter how "offensive" the original word would be considered (literally "newhalf"), but the translator didn't make that consideration, and that's all there is to it. No fucking statements about "freedom of speech" or whatever BS people put into this.

The correct way to have handled this would have been for whoever reacted to it first just contacting the translator directly and then they would issue a formal apology before things get out of hand.
But noooo the internet need their dumb controversies.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Thought process of the average commenter:
"Eh, I don't understand any of this technical shit. Oh look, something I know enough about to make me angry!"

Also see: life of the average Reddit thread.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:Having used "transgender" or whatever in the translation would have been just as accurate no matter how "offensive" the original word would be considered (literally "newhalf"), but the translator didn't make that consideration, and that's all there is to it. No fucking statements about "freedom of speech" or whatever BS people put into this.
i'm actually a bit in the "preserve the translation" camp despite being the exact person who would be most offended to see this word casually tossed about in a game i'd be playing - i'm both trans and ptsd, seeing "tranny" on a snes game would likely take me aback and potentially trigger a mild panic attack. that's not an exaggeration, either, it would be a rude shock out of a comfort zone. i remember going into a cold sweat during the 'trans panic' case in the first danganronpa, even though it's arguably attempting to be sympathetic to those outside the norm of gender roles.

given goemon's more crass humor, it's almost certainly meant to be a comedic predicament. changing it to "trans" or "transgender" would not accurately portray the meanness of the original text. in fact, i'd argue it would make it seem as if the character is meant to be portrayed as sympathetic, which is very likely far from the intent of whoever originally wrote the joke. a lot of older games like these go for low-hanging fruit and have transphobic gags - as distasteful as they are, i'd still rather they be presented in honesty, rather than overwritten by a modern voice.

i want to stress severely, though, that i think people trying to look at the right to say "tranny" as a hill to die on are being ridiculous. it's an overkill term to use in a translation and it's better to use an alternative term, even when looking at this as a matter of translation and historical accuracy.
The correct way to have handled this would have been for whoever reacted to it first just contacting the translator directly and then they would issue a formal apology before things get out of hand.
But noooo the internet need their dumb controversies.
we're both definitely in agreement on this, though. just talk to the guy and give him a chance to apologize or change it, or bother educating him that the word is as offensive as it is. he's put a lot of work into the game and doesn't seem to be disingenuous or mean, it's just a common courtesy to give someone a heads up they've made a misstep.

edit: you know, thinking about it, the best thing to do might honestly just be to use "newhalf" right in the translation and let people draw their own conclusions. people use honorifics all the time in modern localizations, and this is a term they've adopted from english language roots. some things just don't translate properly, and if people are curious, they can look it up.
Last edited by kitten on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well you have to give to the alt-right that their perverse strategy was - and is still - masterful.
It is basically a trap.

- alt right targets the more sensitive/fragile groups they hate
- "trigger" them using all maners of offense, horrifying racial, sexual, economic etc attacks
- bring out the victim's ugly side so they lose control and their defense reaction falls down to the right's 'intellectual' gutter level where facts and rationality lose against all kinds of BS, lies, and psychological play
- keep fanning the flames so they're loud enough and the actual intelligent rational discourse - which the alt-right can't win against - is completely muted behind the noise, and also barely visible on the internet anymore
- the victims whom in otherwise normal conditions would be worth defending/protecting socially and humanely speaking, have now been made to look like authoritatrian villains, 'SJW', and in practice a portion actually become that while they probably would have not gone that far had they smelled the trap, or some other concerned people would have not followed them into that pit
- the aggressors then perversely use the opportunity to play innocent and pose as defenders of freedom - which they of course are absolutely not and actually the worst enemies of by all means
- anyway: social chaos/destabilization to support the rise of the upcoming global reich achieved with success! 8)

And what's fantastic is that included in that strategy are mechanisms that automatize the process, with all the memes and lingo they invented, an important portion of people adopt the thinking without realizing they do, or even meaning any harm.
It's like sub-web woven over the interwebs.

So 'accidents' like this happen all the time, and the outcome is almost always the same, chaos is maintained, any worthy fight for humanity and the planet is ruined/cancelled by that trap and the idiots who fell in, and it is almost guaranteed to be at the alt-right's benefit with every new occurence.

And we gave those people the internet.

Anyway I hope that won't mean the patches will be lost or something, what's sad is that whatever bugs found in the future won't be corrected.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

It sucks how now it's all XTREEM opinions and all you have is 2 sides with an "it's US vs THEM" mentality and there's no nuance whatsoever to the discussions. and that goes for most(if not all) social/political issues, too.

Both sides are toxic
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

Xyga wrote:It is basically a trap.
honk honk
And what's fantastic is that included in that strategy are mechanisms that automatize the process
yeah :[

social media has just become an outrage generator, growing exponentially by the minute. i feel like most people perpetuating these hatreds don't even understand why or who they're perpetuating it against - we're all caricatures to each other, at this point.
Image | Image
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

kitten wrote:honk honk
lol not even intended :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

so happy to not be on much social media. tbh. I'm on FB and see my friends interact and that's it.

No twitter, no tumblr, no Reddit for me (aside from enjoyable things like crt thread on reddit).

I'd go mad if I was caught in all that negativity and drama. I legit think that my mental health would suffer
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Don't forget 4chan which is the main source, main trash fire starter, even if it's only the tip of the iceberg.

I'd bomb the servers of that giant pile of rotting pus.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh damn yes, that place is really causing shitstorms all the time. can't believe I forgot it
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

FinalBaton wrote:I legit think that my mental health would suffer
it probably would. you're way better off ignoring it, even at the risk if being ignorant about a few things. i took an extended break from twitter and re-emerged a year or so later on a tiny new account and have been mostly trying to avoid this shit (i mostly just stick to a private account and retweet kemono art), but sometimes i can't help but look, or even participate when i feel like somebody is getting bullied :S
FinalBaton wrote:Oh damn yes, that place is really causing shitstorms all the time. can't believe I forgot it
RIP perikles.... :[
Image | Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

kitten wrote: edit: you know, thinking about it, the best thing to do might honestly just be to use "newhalf" right in the translation and let people draw their own conclusions. people use honorifics all the time in modern localizations, and this is a term they've adopted from english language roots. some things just don't translate properly, and if people are curious, they can look it up.
That would definitely have been the ideal way to shut up both camps.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Xyga wrote:- alt right targets the more sensitive/fragile groups they hate
- "trigger" them using all maners of offense, horrifying racial, sexual, economic etc attacks
- bring out the victim's ugly side so they lose control and their defense reaction falls down to the right's 'intellectual' gutter level where facts and rationality lose against all kinds of BS, lies, and psychological play
- keep fanning the flames so they're loud enough and the actual intelligent rational discourse - which the alt-right can't win against - is completely muted behind the noise, and also barely visible on the internet anymore
- the victims whom in otherwise normal conditions would be worth defending/protecting socially and humanely speaking, have now been made to look like authoritatrian villains, 'SJW', and in practice a portion actually become that while they probably would have not gone that far had they smelled the trap, or some other concerned people would have not followed them into that pit
- the aggressors then perversely use the opportunity to play innocent and pose as defenders of freedom - which they of course are absolutely not and actually the worst enemies of by all means
Concise and true.

And so...
FinalBaton wrote:Both sides are toxic
...fuck this "both sides" bullshit. Without conservative bigotry, the slurs that people get upset about wouldn't exist in the first place.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Mortificator wrote:...fuck this "both sides" bullshit. Without conservative bigotry, the slurs that people get upset about wouldn't exist in the first place.
So you think the tendency the hard left sometimes has (ie : callout culture without really investigating the case, and which sometime ends up in the health of the person at the center of it to get in danger, when the person is sometimes innocent) is harmless?
Fuuuuuuuuuck this

If you think the hard left are saints and saints only, then you have your head so deep in the sand that it might actually pop up on the other side of the earth
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

Mortificator wrote:...fuck this "both sides" bullshit. Without conservative bigotry, the slurs that people get upset about wouldn't exist in the first place.
imho, at least some of the "fuck both sides" mentality is quite warranted. in this particular instance, the instigating side was largely people attacking a guy as if he both created and weaponized a slur when he was just trying to do his (nearly thankless, payless) job. a lot of the far left has become vicious, bloodthirsty, and cannibalistic. i think it's unfair to even skew them as "sides" when they're both (sjw and alt-right? whatever you want to call them) slanting toward authoritarianism and making overt gestures to their own sense of morality. i'd argue i'm still inside the far left, but i've watched it drive its own to poverty, extreme marginalization, mental instability, and even suicide. at some point, it seriously becomes disingenuous to suggest that this is all thanks to conservative bigotry & oppression and that there's no inward fault - and that's what leads to us vs. them.

things are so stratified and the actual villains are so far above us, it's probably better to be happy in ignorance and refusal to engage than burning out on a totally engineered war that the reactionaries and rich & powerful win, anyway. imho that's not centrism, it's survival instinct.
Image | Image
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I'm only gonna contribute to this conversation by dropping this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDg8KYjePo
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

FinalBaton wrote:
So you think the tendency the hard left sometimes has (ie : callout culture without really investigating the case, and which sometime ends up in the health of the person at the center of it to get in danger, when the person is sometimes innocent) is harmless?
Fuuuuuuuuuck this

If you think the hard left are saints and saints only, then you have your head so deep in the sand that it might actually pop up on the other side of the earth
It's not even the far-left proper as it would have been described even just a couple decades ago, as in not necessarily leftists, rather they're all kinds of people who have suffered so much from the right's hate they became similarily hateful in reaction, adopting a behaviour similar to the alt-right's at stage 1 of the process, ironically. Most of them have just been conveniently either mingled with the left in the narratives of the alt-right, or opportunely absorbed by actual leftists in politics.

Morti's definitely right in the sense that the right, no, precisely that right that took over the old one, carrying and applying a far-right ideology with a new strategy, were definitely the initiatiors who triggered the mess we've been in for many years now.
And similarily them too don't have much in common with the definition of the right as we knew it not so long ago, proof is that they use literally marxist arguments whenever they feel like if they have the opportunity to gather more supporters.

The core of it all is not politics, it's about fundamental shit like race and sex, things like human rights, democracy etc.
In short it's a challenge to civilization and human society as a whole, on a global scale, and whether we want to keep it together or burn everything.
About half of humanity is stupid enough to risk ruining everything and abandon its freedom and future just for that, and it's clearly engineered by the villains kitten talks about, because they know about half of humanity is stupid enough to fall for their plan thinking they'll be liberated, when it's precipitating their doom.

Tho even the puppeteer villains are slaves to our nature, they appear for reasons. We're too many now for our specie's ability to manage problems, I have no doubt that's the real issue, and we're experiencing something like in the mice utopia experiement; a behavioral sink.
And we conveniently built the internet that's like steroids for our stupidity and madness.
In a similar way that civilizations all end some day, I like to think that somehow what's happening in this 21st century is nature's way to initiate the process to reduce our specie's population but on the global scale, even if that means many other species will suffer, the 'reset' will be beneficiary on the long term, on a scale that's way beyond us.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Xyga wrote:It's not even the far-left proper as it would have been described even just a couple decades ago, as in not necessarily leftists, rather they're all kinds of people who have suffered so much from the right's hate they became similarily hateful in reaction, adopting a behaviour similar to the alt-right's at stage 1 of the process, ironically. Most of them have just been conveniently either mingled with the left in the narratives of the alt-right, or opportunely absorbed by actual leftists in politics.

Morti's definitely right in the sense that the right, no, precisely that right that took over the old one, carrying and applying a far-right ideology with a new strategy, were definitely the initiatiors who triggered the mess we've been in for many years now.
And similarily them too don't have much in common with the definition of the right as we knew it not so long ago, proof is that they use literally marxist arguments whenever they feel like if they have the opportunity to gather more supporters.

The core of it all is not politics, it's about fundamental shit like race and sex, things like human rights, democracy etc.
In short it's a challenge to civilization and human society as a whole, on a global scale, and whether we want to keep it together or burn everything.
About half of humanity is stupid enough to risk ruining everything and abandon its freedom and future just for that, and it's clearly engineered by the villains kitten talks about, because they know about half of humanity is stupid enough to fall for their plan thinking they'll be liberated, when it's precipitating their doom.

Tho even the puppeteer villains are slaves to our nature, they appear for reasons. We're too many now for our specie's ability to manage problems, I have no doubt that's the real issue, and we're experiencing something like in the mice utopia experiement; a behavioral sink.
And we conveniently built the internet that's like steroids for our stupidity and madness.
In a similar way that civilizations all end some day, I like to think that somehow what's happening in this 21st century is nature's way to initiate the process to reduce our specie's population but on the global scale, even if that means many other species will suffer, the 'reset' will be beneficiary on the long term, on a scale that's way beyond us.
Well that's all well and good, but know that more moderate righties are saying the exact same thing you just said, but with the coin flipped. "Alt-righters are not part of camp", "they're that way by reaction" etc. That's why I think one can't really ride this angle, IMHO. Anyway, that's not a bad take. I can see some merit in it. especially the internet part.

The point though is that we should all strive to be what I call "360° hitters". And call out bad moves from whatever camp they come from. From the left, from the right, from center. Hell, if an alien race governs us someday, then we shall be critical of thm too. :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Reminder that the progressive and supportive camp will still hate you if you're born with the wrong deviation and they'll disavow you for being evil
It's the same shit, you just shift the window a bit to the left so you can act superior about being progressive or a bit to the right so you can act superior about not being degenerate (read: no one wanted to have sex with you or invited you to parties)
kitten wrote:it seriously becomes disingenuous to suggest that this is all thanks to conservative bigotry & oppression and that there's no inward fault - and that's what leads to us vs. them.
or us vs us but not really us
If you look at the online support groups for "oppressed" people (HAES, incels, autism, LGBT), they all pretty much use the same vocabulary
LGBT people fighting over who's more privileged is hilariously similar to anyone above 6'0 being a "fakecel"
Last edited by Bananamatic on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Don't
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

As someone who disagrees with Kurt's politics, but still respected his work (inaccuracies aside), I find myself disappointed at how he handled this whole Goemon nontroversy.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

FinalBaton wrote: Well that's all well and good, but know that more moderate righties are saying the exact same thing you just said, but with the coin flipped. "Alt-righters are not part of camp", "they're that way by reaction" etc. That's why I think one can't really ride this angle, IMHO.
It's a maddening Ouroboros. Rampant bad faith and false flag trolling from nazi LARPers makes the existing woke left fortify themselves against even the slightest red flag to the point of bloodthirst, and sway the more neutral people who have to deal with the hot end of ironic racism towards the woke left. Many in the middle who don't have to deal with the right-wing trolling and question modern woke politics out of sincere curiosity are immediately pegged by the woke left as having malicious intent (or because they're impatient assholes who berate you for not getting with the new times you just heard about) and remorselessly blocked/banned. These ones who are left with a negative first-hand experience find it easier to empathize with or are preyed upon by the seemingly rational folks who just want to defend free speech and fight back against woke insanity, which after a trip down the anti-SJW pipeline will often create another nazi LARPer troll, and then we're back to square one.

This image partially sums it up:
Spoiler
It's why I tell anyone who is almost blowing their fuse at someone being so dang uneducated on woke politics that giving them shit for that is how JRPG villains are born.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.