Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
null1024

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by null1024 »

professor ganson wrote:When people say "which begs the question" when they mean that something invites the question. Begging the question is a fallacy of reasoning.
When people say this response bugs me like crazy. It's an idiom, not to be taken completely literally.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

People who announce the current transit status of their new game in forum threads.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

greg

Post by greg »

People who use Twitter to just announce their location in the world, as if anybody cares and wants to track them as they go about their daily errands. Twitter: "At the Starbucks at Central and Thomas." HOLY CRAP, WHO CARES? So I'm bound to this one friend of mine on both Twitter and Google Buzz, and that's all he ever tweets about. So inane.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

chempop wrote: I calmly remind them to use the scoop, they look at the scoop and then proceed to continue to use their grubby, filthy, disgusting, paws to take that one pretzel that is taunting them.
Wtf, now we are teaching kids to eat pretzels with a scoop? Where is the world going...
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Skykid wrote:People who announce the current transit status of their new game in forum threads.
I talk a lot of trash in this forum but even this annoys the fuck out of me
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

April Fools. Apparently someone enjoys this shit.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Inedible objects that smell like food. I hate smelling delicious pie, getting hungry, and then, upon looking to consume said pie, I find that someone lit a candle. Argh!
greg

Post by greg »

Blackbird wrote:Inedible objects that smell like food. I hate smelling delicious pie, getting hungry, and then, upon looking to consume said pie, I find that someone lit a candle. Argh!
I know what you mean! I love and hate those snickerdoodle candles.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

null1024 wrote:
professor ganson wrote:When people say "which begs the question" when they mean that something invites the question. Begging the question is a fallacy of reasoning.
When people say this response bugs me like crazy. It's an idiom, not to be taken completely literally.
Well, this is mainly something that bugs academic philosophers. I doubt that this is a common attitude, to be bugged by this misuse. Very few people realize that it is a misuse.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I've had too many close calls while driving to get upset behind the wheel, especially over little things. On one of the highway routes I take there is this horrible bend that is 45mph but people are always going 80 nearly causing accidents regularly. The crazy part is that I heard that the guy who designed that exact area died in an accident there.
Wtf, now we are teaching kids to eat pretzels with a scoop? Where is the world going...

:roll:
Hahah noooooo, The scoop is to serve themselves, then they use their hands to eat!

Which brings me to my next pet peave: hand sanitizer, I can't help but think that it's unhealthy and kills off the important bacteria that actually helps fight off germs.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

chempop wrote: Which brings me to my next pet peave: hand sanitizer, I can't help but think that it's unhealthy and kills off the important bacteria that actually helps fight off germs.
Well hopefully you aren't eating the hand sanitizer.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
njiska

Post by njiska »

#1: People who don't know how to use their god damn signals/indicators. I mean for fucks sake is it really all that hard to move a post a quarter inch?

#2: Inside lane hogs. Anyone from Ontario should be familiar with these pricks who like to get in the inside lane (Left in our case) and just sit there, driving slowly and blocking people who want to pass. The are intolerable jackasses who won't move for anyone and are completely uncourteous individuals.

#3: Foursquare users who link there accounts to Twitter and update 50 times an hour. No one gives a shit

#4: Being automatically accused of being an evil racist hatemonger because I'm a white male.

#5: Canadians who don't know that the Tories and Liberals are not directly mappable to the Democrats and Republicans. The kind of people who decide their political views based on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Not that those aren't great shows, but their views don't apply here. This is really annoying at the moment as we have an election going on.

#6: Hipsters/Douchebags. You see these all the time when you go to downtown Toronto. Annoys the living piss out of me.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

njiska wrote:Being automatically accused of being an evil racist hatemonger because I'm a white male.
That actually reminds me to post the "bizarro version" of this, which I've encountered more times than I'd care to remember: being accused of "white guilt" or "self-hatred" or "class warfare" the second you advocate for anybody less-privileged than yourself.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

BulletMagnet wrote:
njiska wrote:Being automatically accused of being an evil racist hatemonger because I'm a white male.
That actually reminds me to post the "bizarro version" of this, which I've encountered more times than I'd care to remember: being accused of "white guilt" or "self-hatred" or "class warfare" the second you advocate for anybody less-privileged than yourself.
You guys forget that having a dick makes us rapists as well. :(
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

CMoon wrote:
chempop wrote: Which brings me to my next pet peave: hand sanitizer, I can't help but think that it's unhealthy and kills off the important bacteria that actually helps fight off germs.
Well hopefully you aren't eating the hand sanitizer.
Of course excessive ''cleanness'' is not good. On a positive note many hand sanitizers are based on regular alcohol ( ethanol ), so its not much worse than rubbing your hand with vodka. What is nasty though is all those anti-bacterial soap and items that use antibiotic-like chemicals.
Triclosan is the best example: commonly found in soaps and toothpaste (colgate total) but also in some clothes and even toys. This product should be avoided. Unlike alcohol it acts a bit like an antibiotic and can affect natural micro-flora diversity and balance. It is know to accumulate and persist in tissues, it contaminates the environment and the photo-degradation of triclosan is know to produce a variety of dioxin byproducts, some of which are know carcinogen.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Order a Pepsi in some restaurant get Coke instead
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Zeron wrote:Order a Pepsi in some restaurant get Coke instead
Should be happy because Coke is better... Stop signs and turn signals bother me, because nobody seems to know how to use them. The four-way stops are the worst, you always get the douchebag who can't wait their turn, and just plow through.. I hate them.
“What did I had done!”
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

The second half of this thread will just be making fun of posts from the first half.
SHMUP sale page.
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

CStarFlare wrote:people who right click > copy and right click > paste
I do this sometimes. Sometimes i'm too lazy to throw up another explorer on my secondary monitor or just slouching with one hand doing all the work (yes the other jerking off) and don't feel like moving to get my left hand to hit the ctrl key.
brokenhalo wrote:
greg wrote:People who can't spell:
threw instead of through
could of instead of could've
don't know the difference between it's and its, your and you're (like Operation Wolf)
Basically, people who can't spell properly past the sixth grade. Typos are fine, but when an English-speaking native fails basic grammar and spelling in ways that could not be mere typo errors, that's irritating.
i have a boss who ends all of his emails with the signature, "if you aint first, your last."-ricky bobby.

that annoys the hell out of me.
You know. I used to do this stuff on the net or electronically when i was about 18...19 (30 now). And since someone already talked about having a predetermined life with little or no thought... I seriously hate this, too. I always reply, Uh, how the ef can you own ____. IE., your gay. Dude, i don't own gay.

damn lost the quote. But Greg Giraldo does a great bit on over-emphasized homosexuals.
njiska

Post by njiska »

emphatic wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Yes and apparently it's wrong to point out that dressing like a slut makes you more attractive to a person looking to rape somebody because that would challenge a woman's right to sexually express herself. Gives me a headache trying to wrap around the logic of that.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

People that use the word fanboy (or even worse fanboi) while failing miserably at some terribly important internet debate really piss me off.

Edit: I'm temped to shorten that to "People really piss me off."
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Using "overproduced" to criticize videogames or music or anything. Why not just write "It sucks because it's too well made. I like shit."?
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

worstplayer wrote:Using "overproduced" to criticize videogames or music or anything. Why not just write "It sucks because it's too well made. I like shit."?
I disagree. Some games are really so overglossy and PG-13 that they make me eww
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

But something -can- be overproduced. So much bloom in a next gen game that everything is a big blurry mess. So much reverb in a song that the subtlety of the vocal performance is completely ruined. When people talk about overproduction, they aren't talking about it being too good, they are talking about gimmicky stuff that undermines the actual substance of the piece.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

EinhanderZwei wrote:
worstplayer wrote:Using "overproduced" to criticize videogames or music or anything. Why not just write "It sucks because it's too well made. I like shit."?
I disagree. Some games are really so overglossy and PG-13 that they make me eww
Now, do they make you eww because the graphics look too good, or because they play like shit? Making graphics worse wouldn't make them play any better. The problem isn't parts that are too good, it's parts that aren't good enough.
Blackbird wrote:But something -can- be overproduced. So much bloom in a next gen game that everything is a big blurry mess. So much reverb in a song that the subtlety of the vocal performance is completely ruined. When people talk about overproduction, they aren't talking about it being too good, they are talking about gimmicky stuff that undermines the actual substance of the piece.
Now, in that context it's perfectly legit criticism. But I hear it in "too good" context way more often. It has became similar to politicians using "elitist" to put down opponents who know more than they do.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

I believe that no game or any other work of art can be too good. Some parts will still suck...
And each time I've heard the term 'overproduced', the speaker was referring to the graphics solely :?
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

njiska wrote:
emphatic wrote:
Yes and apparently it's wrong to point out that dressing like a slut makes you more attractive to a person looking to rape somebody because that would challenge a woman's right to sexually express herself. Gives me a headache trying to wrap around the logic of that.
I am aware of the situation you are referring to( see here), but when it's a police officer doing a seminar, telling women " Don't dress like sluts if you don't want to get raped", it is not acceptable.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

emphatic wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Being automatically accused of being a big dick owner because I'm a black male.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Using a PC from 1998-2001 suddenly you get one of those flash based "popups" that kinda scrolldown on the whole screen and the PC just goes choppy as hell mode you try to make it go away but till thats done the whole damn browser has crashed.
Square King

Post by Square King »

Appendicitis/appendectomies. Get the fuck out.