Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
orange808

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by orange808 »

Nvidia's RTX-40xx pricing is madness. :lol:

Yes, they're faster. So? Ever heard of Moore's Law? Of course new computing products are faster. Water is also wet. So what?

If we follow this logic, modern computer CPUs should cost millions of dollars. By comparison to the original home computer Motorola 6502 architecture, these are unimaginable supercomputers! They should cost millions, right? :-) Nope. Wrong. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ Moore's Law.

Anyhow, no thanks. Eth just merged, ladies and gentlemen. I'm not paying that.

Looks like the 30xx series owns the immediate future. I'll be waiting for the thick rubes to stop paying 75% of MSRP for heavily used cards on eBay. Those miners would eventually get very desperate and sell them for far less. They have no outlet, alternative market, or other use case for their useless rigs and stacks of useless cards--unless they want to lose money mining Raven coin for next to nothing.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Leather jacket man is huffing some serious copium expecting anyone to pay $900 for an upper mid range GPU.
drauch

Post by drauch »

30XX series has been steadily going down, dropping a couple hundred in the last few months. Getting a wee bit closer to that MSRP :lol:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote:Nvidia's RTX-40xx pricing is madness. :lol:
I'm pretty sure I built my entire last PC for the 4090 MSRP.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

8)
Spoiler
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Nvidia has me rolling laughing today. :lol:

First of all, they are bullies and they have robbed the press of all credibility. The coverage of their announcement was a joke. The only mainstream English outlet that ran a critical article on their RTX 4000 series was Kotaku. The remaining outliers that dared mention price did it for gaslighting FUD purposes--touting the cards are faster than the last generation and touting a raft of software gimmicks.

We already covered Moore's Law here in the thread. :-) Upscaling software? So? Consoles use software gimmicks to get frames and I don't pay a premium for that. There's also the fact that software devs have to build around specific libraries to harness the new upscaling/interpolation gimmicks. It doesn't do anything for current games. I thought I gamed on PC to avoid those gimmicks, anyway...

Meh.

Anyhow...
Nvidia comes out today striking at the internet: saying the days of falling GPU prices are over. "Moore's Law is dead." But, is it? Is it really dead? Even it's slowing down, it still wouldn't justify these prices. The pure raster speed improvements for the "4080" consumer cards are kinda dog shit.

Maybe there is there some other reason?

For clarification, Moore's Law doesn't say shit about overproduction, unsold stock, or betting on the crypto bubble. Ethereum's roadmap wasn't a secret, kids. What did Nvidia think was going to happen? They didn't hear ETH was going PoS? :lol:

Did poor Nvidia bet that ETH wouldn't actually do the merge, get hung on the RTX 3000 cards, and reach the end of RTX 4000 development holding too much 3000 inventory? Sorry. Who's fault is that? :-) ETH warned everyone a long time ago. AMD didn't get hung, why did Nvidia?

Kinda funny that they felt the need to clap back when all their pet media outlets already dutifully parroted all their talking points--and only one major outlet dared complain. Further proof that the internet only lives in places like here and reddit. It also proves that the press doesn't matter. They've been stripped of their ability to report and become irrelevant lap dogs.

Probably shouldn't publicly admit that all your media partners are toothless minions. That's what they did when they responded to reddit and twitter. Of course, that's because reddit is where all the power and information is--where the old internet still gasps defiantly; clinging to life.

Anyhow, good luck with that $900 4070 thing, Nvidia. :-)
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Game development is already hitting a ceiling when it comes to increasing graphical fidelity. The issue isn't one of lack of computational power, but that of manpower--modelers, texture artists, animators, and so on--to take full advantage of all the power that next-gen GPUs offer. We are long past the point where genius pioneering programmers can conjure up new and impressive graphical techniques through clever coding. Nowadays programmatic mostly concern themselves with performance optimization (particularly on consoles), and graphical fidelity is now the result of brute force: the blood, sweat, and tears of hundreds of artists crunching away to fill every single detail and polygon in every single scene. A small army of artists must be paid somehow, so it takes not just manpower but money as well to try and take full advantage of next-gen hardware. Eventually the costs of creating something that looks like a graphical leap forward is going to outweigh the potential profits, which begs the question what NVidia thinks the market is for increasingly more powerful and power-hungry GPUs, other than VFX workstations and the dying cryptocurrency market.

For that reason I don't foresee there being many games in the future that could possibly warrant purchasing a next-next-gen GPU. Things like raytracing and 4K 120+Hz gaming are neat bonuses, and VR definitely does require good hardware to be pleasant. But past that? I wouldn't know what there is to upgrade for that isn't just diminishing returns in graphical fidelity. For that reason I also foresee that future generations of GPUs will instead target power efficiency rather than sheer power, a la Apple's M1 chips. NVidia coming out with these massive expensive bricks with ballooning power requirements is in completely bad taste given the rising energy prices everywhere, so hopefully the rumors are right that AMD is targeting efficiency rather than following NVidia into the abyss. It's also why I'm preparing to invest in a high-end GPU that will last me a long time and can handle everything the next two decades throw at me, because I don't intend to upgrade GPUs ever again.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Durandal wrote:Game development is already hitting a ceiling when it comes to increasing graphical fidelity.
That's been a fairly common idea for some time, but new GPU hardware persists. Almost nobody really intends to buy another expensive upgrade, do they? :-)

All the same, I don't think the upgrade cycle is going anywhere. There's also the fact that us olds witnessed huge jumps in gaming's infancy that are unrealistic in the modern world. Improvements are more subtle these days. I'm spoiled, because I remember when new games could make your jaw drop. I can't remember the last time I was blown away by a game's visuals--because of raw technology. Art design is king. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to boot up a nice looking game like Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time followed by the latest Assassin's Creed and see how all those incremental improvements to visuals have stacked up.

Machine learning matters here for more reasons than you mentioned. ML is part of the solution with assets and it's going to start taking on some of the work of asset creation--and make artists more productive. In fact, I expect that teams will eventually shrink--and the computers will "take yer job". AAA titles will continue to push the envelope and ML will be doing a lot of work on the art. The core of the design team won't need as many assistants; the machine will do a lot of the work once the concept art is in place. The ML army won't ask for a living wage.

There's also superfluous stuff that will eventually get more attention. For instance: Now that I can have a computer design all unique trees with individual leaves, I need to render them. :-) So pretty! Diminishing returns or not, devs will do it if it's essentially free--and ML will eventually make getting extremely complex and uniquely crafted common assets very cheap for large development houses.

Ray traced lighting is going to be the standard as well. When developers are finally able to use it globally, the difference will be very noticable. When that becomes standard, legacy GPU will be out in the cold. Of all the recent hype, I like ray tracing the best. It makes a big difference.

Finally, one of the best ways to fight shimmering/aliasing is over sampling and downscaling. We still haven't solved the issue of delivering sharp images without shimmering. Rendering at a very high resolution and AI downscaling outperforms blurry anti aliasing and multisample techniques, particularly when the viewport in motion. It really doesn't matter if the textures are optimised for the initial super resolution hidden rendering, you'll still get better results than antialiasing or multisample blurriness.

Also, games and rendering API's will eventually use resources because they are there--eliminating the ability to reduce visual fidelity to run games on legacy GPU hardware. I agree diminishing returns have been in play for some time already, but I don't think it matters much. The cycle of incremental improvement will continue. At some point, it's just a question of rather or not new software will still run on your rig.

There's really no escape if you want to keep gaming. It's been possible to get by for a long time if you bought a flagship GTX 1080ti, but the party is almost over. You'll eventually have to upgrade or buy a console.

Edit: And, just like that, I see Nvidia announced a milestone in their budding ML game asset creation software--specifically designed to feed assets directly into existing development pipelines and workflow. People will create concepts, specify the mood of the scene, and define the direction of the art design. The ML will work around the clock putting things together. A lot of mundane asset work will be automated.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There can be nothing more Little Annoyed Hell than the wretchedly tech-incompetent Lorne Armstrong trolling community. Image Lots of funny people united in the shared enjoyment of dunking on To Catch A Predator's most widely-despised contestant, but my goodness, they can't run their streams for fuckin dog shit. I swear this one cunt is calling in from the fucking beach, I can hear waves and shit.

It's enough to make a man stop following the ongoing systematic torment of a lifetime RSO :evil:

Also they infight constantly and brutally, which I've found is a constant of even the nichest online community. We've enjoyed a long period of calm here at the farm, but I'm sure our longer-registered members recall the war years of 07/08, coincidentally around when TCAP was first airing!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Candy sizes. I'm at the cashier counter, I just want a Reese's or some other shit, and all the candy is all fucking KING SIZE or "SHARE" SIZE and I'm just like piss off, give me a normal size candy bar or whatever., don't give me some MEGA CUP REESES [also, all the new flavors are in mega size, which doubly sux if you're just trying something out to see if it's worth buying and now you have a MEGA SIZE pile of SHIT]

also, the king size shit is more expensive and I don't feel like spending $2.75 on a candy bar lmao
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

They're doing you a favor by convincing you to stop buying that crap. :lol:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

People too cool to leash their dogs.

I've moved to a more suburban area and got a new puppy, but holy shit are middle-aged no-leash dog walkers worse than their college student counterparts.

All it takes is having their unleashed dog crossing a busy street to greet my dog while the student owner yells helplessly once, and the college kids learn their lesson and leash the dog from then on.

But take the middle-aged egos of these suburbanites crossed with very low-traffic streets and they refuse to learn shit. Time and time again people's over-excited/aggressive dogs run into the street and menace my poor puppy while the owner impotently calls out, "no pooky, stop. bad. come back. calm down." while I try to position myself between my puppy and their growling dog. And once their dog decides it's had enough of my puppy they smile and wave and continue their leashless walk like nothing happened until the next time their dog sees my puppy.

I've got an extension leash for my pup, and when she gets the zoomies she can still work up a full-tilt sprint going in circles around me. And if she decides to do something dangerous, I have instant control.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cashiers licking their fingers before handling bags. I never saw this growing up in the West Indies. I suppose it's partially down to the vastly higher humidity relative to the UK making the practice redundant, but also a general emphasis on hygiene (and corresponding disgust for anything involving bodily fluids/secretions), even among the most working-class, that I notice isn't really a thing in England. (you will start to reek of shit very quickly in a tropical climate if you're not keeping on top of showering etc, not to mention you'll develop heat rash in all the places you want it least, like your armpits, inner thighs, and right up your asshole! this is said to go back to the days of slavery, when nobody wanted to be shackled next to a stink motherfucker all day)

At any rate, holy fuck, gross. I'd hoped the recent Chinese Bat AIDS saga might've tamped it down, but nope. Made a point of carrying my own bag and cheerfully informing the cashiers of it down my local prior to putting anything on the counter, because the old bats down there make a goddamn show of it. Yum, your spit on my food, I can't wait grandma. In a shameless bit of bourgeoisie indulgence, I note middleclass haunts Marks and Waitrose have little sponges for the cashiers to use, which is nice!

Look I spent a summer cleaning the corn-ridden shit out of elderly Cuban refugees' bedsheets, I'm not a germaphobe. (only one summer though, then I said fuck this Jose, my CV looks bussin, time to go home and play Guerrilla War on my NES). I never had the guts to wipe an old man's asshole, though. I left that to my supervisor, a big old heifer! We still send each other cards every Christmas, but I cannot think of her without the ol' brainmeat recalling the overpowering stench of bleach with its natural companion, a faint undercurrent of shite.
guigui

Post by guigui »

JRPG taking a member out of your party, for the need of story or idk wtf else.

I mean come on : I'm working on getting the stats of this guy up, buying great equipment for him, spending a lot of effort and resources to make him a killing machine, and you just take him away from me ?? Where's the fun in that ? Just makes me wanna stop playing.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

So I felt like looking up what enemies there are in the newer Halo games. If you asked me what you fought in the original Halo, I'd say the Covenant (alien grunts, jackals, hunters and elites) and the Flood (zombie versions of humans and Covenant). Halopedia instead gives lists of "Species and Entities," which the player may or may not fight, all written in pseudo-alien gibberish. Oh, Infinite has Arch Khordat Ruuhtian Kig-Yar? How illuminating.

Apparently the real answer is the 5 has the four fundamental Covenant types and robo-knights, while Infinite replaces everything with the Banished from Halo Wars 2, who look like edgelord Covenant.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
drauch

Post by drauch »

Aye, how I long for the days before worldwide shipping shat the bed. Want a paperback book I can only get in Australia. Price: $13 bucks. Shipping: $36! Fuck me. I remember scoffing at $10 bucks a few years ago...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mortificator wrote:Halopedia instead gives lists of "Species and Entities," which the player may or may not fight, all written in pseudo-alien gibberish. Oh, Infinite has Arch Khordat Ruuhtian Kig-Yar? How illuminating.
God I hate when you're looking for some "useful" information on some video game or movie/tv pop culture thing, and the only available resource with some actual data in it, is some Fandom.com wikia page written like an entirely in-universe transcript.
It's borderline fanfiction, I guess that's why the site changed its name.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Doom Eternal clones being referred to as "Boomer Shooters"
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
drauch

Post by drauch »

"Boomer shooter" is already bad enough and deserves a place in this thread.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

When a cell phone carrier delivers a text message late, and the message is still marked as having come through 20 minutes ago.

It just happened to me: Waifu sent me a text asking if I want her to get me something for late lunch on her way back from an errand, and the f***ing message arrived right as she got home. Of course, the timestamp matched the moment she sent it. If she hadn't heard my phone chime, she wouldn't have believed it.

We have four constant bars in our area, at least. I'd expect this from Cricket or Boost, but T-mobile and Verizon have no excuse.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Fake celebrity death announcements showing up in my Youtube feed. I just saw one for Bruce Boxleitner.

sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Amazon sending Pal copies of games despite being listed and shown as NTSC.

I’ve see this happen quite a bit over the last year, not sure why. Maybe the lack of region locking?
WARNING: no refuge
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mischief Maker wrote:Fake celebrity death announcements showing up in my Youtube feed. I just saw one for Bruce Boxleitner.
Man, I saw one for Kurt Russell the other day and instantly had to google verify that it was false. Guess that's pretty good clickbait, albeit morose.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

sky-13 wrote:Amazon sending Pal copies of games despite being listed and shown as NTSC.

I’ve see this happen quite a bit over the last year, not sure why. Maybe the lack of region locking?
Half of the PAL megadrive library released before 1992 mostly used NTSC code with region free carts. They would work exactly the same as if they were released in the USA. Some Saturn games were like that, like Saturn Bomberman, albeit, was region locked.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
sky-13 wrote:Amazon sending Pal copies of games despite being listed and shown as NTSC.

Half of the PAL megadrive library released before 1992 mostly used NTSC code with region free carts. They would work exactly the same as if they were released in the USA. Some Saturn games were like that, like Saturn Bomberman, albeit, was region locked.
How interesting, reminds me of Nintendo using pin converters in their early NES games.

Amazon sending out PAL switch games when shown as NTSC is annoying but not the end of the world, certainly makes the spines look weird when all the games are in a row together.
WARNING: no refuge
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Americans complaining about ex-spouses that leave nothing (in their will) to former partners after a divorce. It's not (the least bit) surprising or petty to omit your ex-spouse from your will. The divorce settlement already divided the assets when you split. You shouldn't even mention your ex-spouse's will; you already got your share.

He or she didn't leave you anything because you dissolved your marriage and the courts already handled it. It's not rocket science.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I love our little community, and the wealth of easily-searchable knowledge it contains.

Especially after spending time on another forum running some god-forsaken older version of PHbb or whatever. Christ, the "search your post history" feature is fucked beyond belief. You can't search it at all, it just shits out a list of everything you've ever said, plus ratings, being quoted, blah blah. Same for searching anyone else's. Fucking hell it's awful. MAH STYLE is a highly recursive one requiring fast access to my own and others' past statements! You might call it the Stare Decisis school of SHITPOST no JUTSU! Image

Love me comfy farm <333
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This forum's software is stuck somewhere between ancient and modern, but I guess that's fine. lol
BIL

SUCKIN ON A DICK JUST 2 MAKE A BUCK OR 2 (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)

Post by BIL »

When did Google's "cached page" feature die of DMCAIDS? I wanted to read this gaping syphilitic cunt, what I was assured would be a most inimitably IDPOL-deranged opinion on Western jurisprudence. "NUH UH~ U NOT IN MURICA" Crumbs. Cache then. "AYKSHUALY WE CAN'T CACHE THAT" You limp-dicked motherfu... Its VPN TYME

~AMAZING TECHMOLOGY~

37f in Wisconsin, you say - fascinating. Surprised it's that warm tbh. I suppose it's the wind chill that does it, huh. Reminds of the Outer Hebrides, brr. Still, can't forget that crushing dry cold in Chicago and Toronto, holy fuck. All much more interesting than the tiny crumb of shit the "article" turned out to be. Thanks for wasting my time in the pursuit of Internet Tabloid Law, or some other ineffably monged shite.

It's like breaking into someone's house to watch their spouse take a brutal filthy shit all over their face. Good job I like to watch. Image Image

EDIT: some cunt's recording me, aren't they. Image Come on. Seriously? The proprietor of this stultifying floppy and soft organ is the same dude from the "Bull has HIV" meme. I'm sure of it. He just bleached his hair! Image

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The way fantasy videogames refer to heavy foot soldiers as "Knights."

Whereas if mounted armored soldiers exist in the same world, they're called "Cavaliers."