Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
neorichieb1971

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Americans who say "like" in quick succession.

I went to the shmups forum, like.. and like I read about some shmups like. It was like, you know like.

Anyone who speaks like that... like should be ashamed of themselves like...

:lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
Anyone who speaks like that... like should be ashamed of themselves like...

:lol:
hahaha

It's a Valley Girl thing man. For sure.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

The "Valley girl" lingo ("sociolect", since "Valley girls" tend to be a certain segment of a population) seems to exist in a lot of different languages.

I remember reading an absolutely hilarious divulgative article on the topic by a famous sociolinguist (Peter Trudgill?), with even a small database of the "like" words across languages.
I am too lazy to, like, check and link to it, but it is one of those topics on which the science can be quite fun to read about.

BTW, laypersonexplaining v. 2021. Again, I would like to have a penny for all the times that I say "I work as a linguist..." and somebody cuts me off and, like, tries to explain the field to me.
Maybe I should just say "I am a baker" or something?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Randorama wrote:BTW, laypersonexplaining v. 2021. Again, I would like to have a penny for all the times that I say "I work as a linguist..." and somebody cuts me off and, like, tries to explain the field to me.
Maybe I should just say "I am a baker" or something?
I had a friend who was a graphics designer that used to tell girls he worked in a cement factory to avoid talking about his job too much.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Cell phone wallpapers too bright and colorful to let me see the icons with ease. (Of course that's quickly taken care of, but I don't need retinal burn-in)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

emphatic wrote:
I had a friend who was a graphics designer that used to tell girls he worked in a cement factory to avoid talking about his job too much.
Ehhh, perfect solution, thanks, but I keep forgetting. It's one of those cases in which I also have the perennial deja vu feeling of "Oh no, the same old mistake, here comes the rant!".

...so I am also annoyed at always forgetting about this little thing :lol:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

When hoes they be sending you voice chats in messenger instead of text...

You don't check your phone for a lil while and then you've got 5 voice chats from this hoe. And 5 voice chats from that other hoe. Takes you half an hour to listen to, when texts would've taken 30 seconds

So time consuming. So impractical.

THE WORST!!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Tough out there for a pimp.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Lol!

just dating, brother Boss. No pimpin', I swear.
And some female friends are also guilty of this voice chat thing.

Personally I think it's a lame inbetween way of communicating. I hate it! Just call or text!

Don't you get facebook voice chats from the women in your life sometimes?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

How many women do you have in your life, Baton, and are they aware of eachother? 8)

(no, really, I wish you luck in your bachelor adventure - it's been more than a decade for me, so I have no idea what it's like in this modern cyberpunk age)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

In these social media times, "Voice message" means "I have da itch, come over 'ere and give me the twitch!" (no, I don't do slang(s)).

So, it's hoes really wanting "something"...

...or people answering queries while doing something else.

BTW:

I use WeChat with colleagues (I work in China, after all), and the platform has an automatic audio-to-text conversion function.
Results are sometimes comical, but I have become unable to recall more than 20 seconds from a voice message, so the function is indeed useful.

Regarding my inability to recall shit from anything audio (including face-to-face conversations), a side-effect of this problem is that parents and friends from beyond the Wall send me these articulate, relatively long messages that at times can even express meaningful content (or I don't answer for 3 months at least).

Who would have thought that, in the Era of the Social Media, average people can make the effort of writing something worth reading?!

Madness, I tell you.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

A truly little thing: BlastEm, Genesis Plus GX, and MAME all displaying games at slightly different aspect ratios.
Spoiler

Why are they all different? Which one is correct? Is the discrepancy enough to matter?
FinalBaton wrote:When hoes they be sending you voice chats in messenger instead of text...

You don't check your phone for a lil while and then you've got 5 voice chats from this hoe. And 5 voice chats from that other hoe. Takes you half an hour to listen to, when texts would've taken 30 seconds

So time consuming. So impractical.

THE WORST!!
Voice chat messages are obnoxious and, to be frank, kind of inconsiderate. If the other person couldn't take the time to write it, why do I have to take the time to listen to it?

I swear the developed world becomes a little less literate every day.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

i send voice messages while on the shitter sometimes.
8)
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Randorama wrote:The "Valley girl" lingo ("sociolect", since "Valley girls" tend to be a certain segment of a population) seems to exist in a lot of different languages.
Here's a murrican with a damn near perfect impression of a british valley girl analogue
https://youtu.be/Af7UD-IxzZI?t=78
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Why are they all different? Which one is correct? Is the discrepancy enough to matter?
That's probably some overscan area setting or border setting somewhere.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Buringo, my "early morning shitting time" is also the "answer to very annoying early morning work e-mails" time!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Randorama wrote:Buringo, my "early morning shitting time" is also the "answer to very annoying early morning work e-mails" time!
Permission to Sig?
My lord, I have come for you.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Stevens wrote:
Randorama wrote:Buringo, my "early morning shitting time" is also my "answer to very annoying early morning work e-mails" time!
Permission to Sig?
By all means! And you need to imagine that I usually wake up, have breakfast, shave & wash, and hit the loo with an Ipad for at least 15 mins (those comics won't read by themselves, will they?).
I swear, I probably answer admin/red tape e-mails only during morning while doing my defecation duties, and some admin people warmly appreciate my prompt e-mail answers before working hours :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

My internet has been acting up intermittently lately. The speed is fine (very fast), system is fine, no malware or other new devices on the network, but every 30 seconds or so, sometimes shorter (every 5-10 secs) it gets a massive jitter, a lag spike of 400 ms or so. And then sometimes it'll go for hours smooth as butter. I suspect our ISP sucks and isn't upgrading the infrastructure in the area to deal with congestion. I'd be happier with a slower, but stable speed, but it's killing my mood to stream when I can see it stuttering like crazy as a result of this. And I don't live anywhere with direct to home fiber network or anything as an option. :/
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Firefox just had an update this morning and suddenly my bookmarks menu is double-spaced or something so nothing fits on a single screen anymore!

Touchscreen smartphones are a cancer on computers.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think phone speakers are getting a bit too loud.

Some folks think that a ring tone you can hear from the other side of the super market is a good thing. If you happen to be nearby, your ears will bleed.

The UK is going through a phase of escooters. Battery powered death traps. Idiots riding them 20mph down the street at night with no headlights on them. Luckily they just about got out of my way as I would have walloped them with my car.

This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Darwinmobiles?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Oh god, they are infuriating. I don't know about the UK, but in the US, we have rental scooters you can just leave on the street when you finish with them. They unlock with an App and charge you for time. People in Baltimore just ride those things on the sidewalks and in the bike lanes. I commute on my bike to the train, so I'm constantly dodging the stupid things, and people don't seem to think helmets are necessary for them which is nuts because they are way more dangerous than a bike.

My biggest complaint about those stupid things is that people just leave them in front of the bike lock-up at the station. They think that's a good spot for them, so I have to spend time digging out the scooters from in front of the bike lock-up in order to lock and retrieve my bike. I won't blame anyone for throwing the damn things and kicking them over to get to the locks. Also, tossing them onto the tracks in anger is also a good response. I swear they need to institute a dumping fine for people who leave those things around. Why the scooter companies are not responsible for it I don't understand.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:My internet has been acting up intermittently lately. The speed is fine (very fast), system is fine, no malware or other new devices on the network, but every 30 seconds or so, sometimes shorter (every 5-10 secs) it gets a massive jitter, a lag spike of 400 ms or so. And then sometimes it'll go for hours smooth as butter. I suspect our ISP sucks and isn't upgrading the infrastructure in the area to deal with congestion. I'd be happier with a slower, but stable speed, but it's killing my mood to stream when I can see it stuttering like crazy as a result of this. And I don't live anywhere with direct to home fiber network or anything as an option. :/
I had similar a few years ago, only noticed when working from home so blamed a crappy wireless adapter. Shortly after, the router died and never had trouble with its replacement - if you can easily swap that out with a spare/someone else's, might be worth a shot?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sadly replacing it is a pain; I'm plugged directly to the cable modem from the ISP, and frankly it's not a great modem as far as I know. They don't let you use your own hardware, either. I suspect that every time they've sent us a new one it's just been a barely tested refurbished moden (there was an actual cable fault on their end they fixed a few months ago and sent us a modem as part of troubleshooting). Can't hurt to ask them for a replacement to see if it is the modem dying in this case I guess.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

vol.2 wrote:My biggest complaint about those stupid things is that people just leave them in front of the bike lock-up at the station. They think that's a good spot for them, so I have to spend time digging out the scooters from in front of the bike lock-up in order to lock and retrieve my bike. I won't blame anyone for throwing the damn things and kicking them over to get to the locks. Also, tossing them onto the tracks in anger is also a good response. I swear they need to institute a dumping fine for people who leave those things around. Why the scooter companies are not responsible for it I don't understand.
Here in Sweden, people are dumping them in waterbeds and rivers. Ironically, they're presented as eco-friendly alternatives to cars or the bus.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Sadly replacing it is a pain; I'm plugged directly to the cable modem from the ISP, and frankly it's not a great modem as far as I know. They don't let you use your own hardware, either. I suspect that every time they've sent us a new one it's just been a barely tested refurbished moden (there was an actual cable fault on their end they fixed a few months ago and sent us a modem as part of troubleshooting). Can't hurt to ask them for a replacement to see if it is the modem dying in this case I guess.
I've had crappy refurb modems from Rogers that barely work. Just ask for another one.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Aye you may as well, more likely they'll do that than actually investigate a possible fault on the line!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The horrid state of GPU prices.
My GPU is on the fritz [had a nasty GPU crash running the PSO2 NGS benchmark a few days ago, and then additional testing and some random driver crashes when idle indicated that yeah, something was actually wrong with the card]. No biggie, I'll get a new GPU-

and then I see $400 cards selling for upwards of $1000
absolutely nowhere has a GPU at MSRP in stock

I really don't feel like rolling the dice with a used one, certainly not at these prices.
Looking at eBay's sold listings, I could get upwards of $400 for this card despite being known to have problems [my buddy gave it to me from his old machine, and he bought it for $200 new]. It's absurd.
Was talking to the my buddy earlier about the problem, and his response was basically, "you might as well get a gaming laptop if you absolutely need to run PC games right now, at least until GPU prices go down, lol", and I'm just flatly appalled that he's not wrong.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The write protection switch on sd cards.
We apologise for the inconvenience