Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Lord Satori

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Lord Satori »

There's nothing like pulling a shoulder muscle doing something as mundane as rolling over in bed.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lord Satori wrote:There's nothing like pulling a shoulder muscle doing something as mundane as rolling over in bed.
I once had to call out of work because I threw my back out while washing my face at the sink that morning. The very definition of empowerment. :P

On a separate note, finding out that the latest entry in a series you follow only sports half the framerate of its predecessors. :?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

this new thing on youtube when you have watched a video and then click back to the home page and the video just goes into a little window is infuriating me for some reason.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Gnash sounds like PaRappa The Rapper. Did he even check the toilets on the left?
We apologise for the inconvenience
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I'm working on a little game with GBDK. Seemed like it'd be the work of a day.
...and then I spent like five hours trying to figure out why a ridiculously simple piece of code wasn't working [pointer arithmetic broke, so reading from my map ended up giving me garbage; although using GBDK's own function to display it to the screen worked, reading the map data for collision and the lot didn't]. Was doing all kind of absurd, nasty work-arounds trying to get it working.

It turned out it was a compiler bug and I had an old version of everything because I wasn't paying attention to what version I downloaded, and there's a newer version on sourceforge.
at least maybe I can finish this before the day is out

[edit]
whew
So, it's nearly midnight, but everything is actually moving along really smoothly.
Might actually take a few more days to be actually presentable, but it's feature complete. 8)

[edit 2]
fuck gbdk
Last edited by null1024 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Why is it that half of the mac games I find won't launch? Do these people not have the OS to test the game on?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

• invited to go to a local arcade bar
• look it up, hey there's video of the place
• it's got a 2 PLAYER side by side setup of Outrun 2, possibly 2 SP, too hard to see clearly, either way, cool, this is what I want to play more than anything
• get there, oh, it's just got one now, there's now a DDR machine in its place
• wait, what, "Outrun 2016 HD" ???
• why is the menu the PC version, there's no F1 or Tab on an arcade cab, and why does it have "insert coin" in chinese flashing, oh crap, this is a bootleg
• wait, where is all the music, HEY WAIT, WHERE IS ANY OF THE ORIGINAL MUSIC
• the music's all replaced with chinese and korean pop music
• passing breeze sounds so quiet, no music at all? fine that works, let's pick that
• OH GOD WHY DOES IT RUN AT LESS THAN HALF FRAMERATE, IT'S SO CHOPPY
• oh no, it's a terrible bootleg
• my pc has a crappy Nvidia Ge Force 210 on it and it runs the PC port of Outrun 2006 at full framerate at a decent resolution, so WHY IS THE FRAMERATE UNPLAYABLY BAD?
• distracted by how bad the framerate is and how impossible it is to control
• wait what is that music
[Gangnam Style starts to play]
• help
• [intensely embarrassed as Gangnam Style blares out loudly]
• half the buttons fail to respond, it's a shitty bootleg that jumps into the arcade version after you wait for it to respond
• gearshift only shifts to lower gears, manual mode impossible
• steering wheel is garbage with a massive deadzone and then suddenly massive sensitivity
• framerate makes it impossible to steer around traffic
• even drifting fails to respond to taps of brake easily
• car feels like you're driving a whale
• normally clear the expert course without breaking a sweat, even after multiple attempts can barely get near the end of stage 5 easy course on bootleg, still can't clear, and I'm the only person I see on the machine who gets past stage 2

why do they have this, why does this exist, does http://www.rolling-start.com/forum/ know this exists? it's a shitty bootleg of the PC version hacked to act like an arcade machine with all the music replaced and unable to run at a playable framerate

• half the cabs have bizarre analog sticks that respond like shit to diagonals installed in games meant for digital controls
• want to leave and or die, heartbreaking, can't though, would be a buzzkill
• there's another 3D racing game that's broken, steering literally only turns to the left
• Crazy Taxi and Dance Dance Revolution run in pristine condition, somewhat shockingly
• well okay there's pinball tables that's cool too I guess

I didn't end up complaining. Honestly the game plays so badly that anyone running even a half-decent arcade would've tested it and seen this was an embarrassment to put out. So whoever decided this was okay to turn on for play clearly did not see a problem and wouldn't understand if I brought it to their attention. I examined the machine - it had stickers and a card slot indicating it used to be an Initial D machine that had been brutally savaged to make an Outrun bootleg monstrosity. Outrun 2 SP was actually the game I had been looking forward to most to play and it was both hilarious and sad how bad it was.

I suspect they could throw together a shitty PC, hook up the controls to it, put it in Outrun 2006's 2SP port, and just not have an ESC key available, voila, Outrun 2 SP arcade cab on free play.

Thank goodness it was only $5 for all day free play.

edit: someone else saw one of these in what looks like a Daytona machine? https://twitter.com/iPlaySEGA/status/838099312219414528
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Following my previous page 'Windows 10 is shit'

I got my hands on one of those weak-ass cheap 'mommy laptops' running Home on a tiny 32 GB ssd.

People complain they're slow-ass from first use and even hang on system updates too big to even finish instaling (check my story about the old lady's laptop)

So I've cleaned a few GB of the usual bloat you get on any new aptop, but in the end there's only 11 GB left free on the SSD.

So I've connected to the internet and watched Windows Update start the process of doom... after a few minutes it began listing a ton of shit I couldn't believe, even Adobe etc.
And it being Home edition there's no way to select 'only download the necessary/critical updates'. After like 5 minutes the computer was already showing alarming 100% cpu etc.

BUT looking at the device's connectivity settings, I've realized ONLY NOW that there's an option to select something like 'limited data plan type of connection' or something like that (the system's in French right now so I don't know the precise wording yet)

A minute or two after choosing it the list of downloading/installing updates shrinked to 3~4. So I was thinking 'nice workaround'...

And guess what? the regular Defender definitions update is stuck at like 10%, and the cpu is again bottlenecked. Probably because of that limited connectivity option I've activated. Meaning they haven't anticipated that scenario.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What shit OS, seriously.

OK I'll shove an Avast in place and see if that does the job.
Later I'll try reinstalling a fresh Win 10 from scratch using a thumb drive and see if it's any better.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Get yourself a proper Operating-System, Xyga and thank me later.

I have no idea why people use Windows these days - Linux user for 20 years, bitches!
More Bromances = safer people
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's not really for 'me', I'll use it (Win 10) only for work and even though I'd rather do without I somehow need to know what people face every day with that shit.
That'll save me time, really.

My personal everyday desktop uses 7 Pro, and laptop 8.1 Pro, they're both fine in comparison.

As for Linux sorry but it's not my thing, I've been there more than once and I'm rather in the camp of the 'fuck it' now. I don't need it actually.

EDIT: update on...windows update: aside from Defender freaking out, the rest has become completely quiet, Fall Creators Update didn't download/install, which is labelled as 'failed'.
So apparently that 'limited connectivity' option is a functional workaround to prevent those cheapo mommy laptops to beg for someone to kill them on their very first day/boot.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xyga wrote:It's not really for 'me', I'll use it (Win 10) only for work and even though I'd rather do without I somehow need to know what people face every day with that shit.

My personal everyday desktop uses 7 Pro, and laptop 8.1 Pro, they're both fine in comparison.

As for Linux sorry but it's not my thing, I've been there more than once and I'm rather in the camp of the 'fuck it' now. I don't need it actually.

EDIT: update on...windows update: aside from Defender freaking out, the rest has become completely quiet, Fall Creators Update didn't download/install, which is labelled as 'failed'.
So apparently that 'limited connectivity' option is a functional workaround to prevent those cheapo mommy laptops to beg for someone to kill them on their very first day/boot.
I feel your pain.

Support for older versions of Win10 will end this month. :(

The Creators Update has been giving me fits this week. I'm also not happy about having to move on from EMET.

Anyhow, that machine will eventually need to get the Creators Update installed. The update assistant that's included in the Creators Update should help smooth things out (for Home users) going forward, but that's cold comfort when we can't get the update to install.
We apologise for the inconvenience
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Xyga wrote:It's not really for 'me', I'll use it (Win 10) only for work and even though I'd rather do without I somehow need to know what people face every day with that shit.

I tend to use Linux for general stuff and work stuff but I prefer to use OS X for music work and the tiny bit of digital art that I ever do. Windows is a pile of shit that even housewives no longer need to suffer.
More Bromances = safer people
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

When you click on a thumbnail showing the cover or back of a game box, and the picture you get is exactly that instead of a larger resolution one.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Fucking blackbirds stealing my dog's food, right in front of me. It's both amazing :shock: and annoying :x to see!
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

That downpour since yesterday and I have a ton of things to to outside. Plus a leak around the chimney dammit.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

this doesn't really annoy the hell out of me but i dunno where else i would put it.

the maker of this game: https://youtu.be/6UAamG6cg5I

(stephen's sausage roll)

says he has never heard of this game: https://youtu.be/ifTzwDMgUlQ?t=5m57s

(tsumu on ps1)

now admittedly tsumu is a pretty obscure JP only ps1 puzzle game, but if i was looking to make an indie puzzle game that is probably where i would go to look for inspiration. the similarity is pretty striking if you ask me.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Aren't they all basically Sokoban style games though?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ehh kind of. the way you move is very particular to the puzzles in these games though and makes them feel very different from a sokoban game. you take up two tiles and move like a tank so your fork often stops you from being able to move round a tight corner. it sounds like a small thing but it's a pretty big factor imo.
pandaphantasm

Post by pandaphantasm »

Every once in a while some action adventure game manages to stump me when I reach a boss or some other random harebrained combat segment where I'm not sure what the mechanism is for damaging the enemy or whatever and I'm having enough trouble to warrant consulting a walkthrough. Now, this is really stupid but I automatically make that Jackie Chan meme face when the author of the guide describes the part I'm having trouble with as being incredibly easy. Or worse still, they refuse to explain how to handle said part / go in depth because they feel as though nobody should have any trouble with it. Meanwhile my brain is still full of fuck and some Prince of Persia boss is kicking my ass around the moon and back, and it takes me two days to finally figure out some arcane detail about the controls which gives me the fighting chance I tried to mine the walkthrough for. Dagnabbit.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

When the exams for Comp Security barely even started until a false fire alarm goes off and everyone has to evacuate, after which the exams are called off.
So once everyone comes back to get their stuff you just fill in some mock answers on the answer sheets before the exam papers are retrieved.

Q: One of your friends claimed she has found a way to gain unauthorized access into the college student database and change everyone's grades around. What do you do?
A: Ask nicely.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

When you have a slightly magnetic screwdriver that fucks up precision work by moving the screws out of the hole everytime you've managed to finally get it back into place while still not being magnetic enough to hold on to the screws/helping out.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

FOSTA.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So, I'm more pleased than annoyed because this time I've managed to install the latest Win 10 creator's update (April 1803) with much less trouble than the previous (1709)

Although as expected things began to fail the same way (Win Update downloads the upgrade but utterly fails to install it, does so multiple times and in various fashions) there were notable differences;
- much less CPU usage, no 100% bottlenecking whether during the downloading or the (supposed) installing. yet again labelled as 'failed' after it's done.
- after a first restart of my own it remembers it's actually downloaded a big upgrade file and that it needs to install it. cool.
- if you happen to miss enough space to do the job it prompts you to either clear enough of it or shove an external drive from which the upgrade will install
- you manage to free enough space and it proceeds to install, then it asks for a restart...only to tell you when you're back that in fact it couldn't install because there still isn't enough space, this time quoting a requirement twice the size (was 4GB now 8GB!) :D :D :D
- ran the troubleshooting app to see if it could manage to clear what might be a little confusion, it supposedly fixed a couple of issues in Windows Update's journal but was otherwise utterly incompetent in finding what was wrong, just telling me 'er...update?'

So as usual I googled it and although it's only been a few days there's already an encyclopedia-worth of articles and discussions on how to fix that mess avaialble on the webs, same chaos as with the previous version.

Except this time one thing caught my eye: the 'Windows 10 Update Assistant', a small Microsoft app that simply does right the job that Windows Update miserably fails at: downloading and installing the new version with the right diagnostics and prompts.

No need for the fucking Media Creation Tool and a thumb drive (failed for me last time), nor to download and mount a full iso just to click setup.exe (worked for me last time but actually meant reinstalling the OS entirely)

But there was one issue: the nearly 8GB package Windows Update actually did download before, sneakily occupying the space I need. Bet this is what created the space confusion, yet I did clear the Win Update 'folder' in system files via the hard drive cleaner. Running it again it couldn't actually detect that 8BG file, lol.

So I went and erased it manually, found it in C:/windows/SoftwareDistribution/download (I've identified it by its size), and then could proceed to install 1803 smoothly.
Success!
Had to go back to the disc cleaner to erase the previous version to get back my precious free space (and yes it was 'seen' by the disc cleaner this time) and done.

So far it's the best and smoothest/safest and fastest way I've managed to get one of those dreaded creator's upgrades on a low end shit pc running Home with little disk space.
It's baffling that they can't make their OS do what that little app - also of their own - does.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: livestreamers who suck at games.

The new Chaos expansion is coming out for Sanctus Reach and the only source of info, aside from a couple screenshots, is a livestream recording.

But it's painful to watch this moron leave vulnerable units fully exposed near victory points clearly marked as under the control of the enemy, charge melee demons with ranged troops, and char-broil his own troops with flamers.

Plus there's the fact that half the screen is taken up by donation stats and stupid animations every time someone throws money at him like a stripper. I mean there are actual strippers online you can virtually throw money at, why instead are you stuffing bills down the g-string of a fat scotsman who sucks at games?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

my catte got into munching cables. usb, hdmi, power, game controllers etc. this is becoming a problem idk what to do.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Mischief Maker wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: livestreamers who suck at games.
This, so much. Especially the "Blind Plays" and "LEL, I don't know how to play the game".

RTFM, you cockwaffles. No one is enjoying your Chris-Chan's level of pathetic fail.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:my catte got into munching cables. usb, hdmi, power, game controllers etc. this is becoming a problem idk what to do.
I remember buying my first optical sound cable for my home surround sound. I turned everything on a few days later and started to watch a movie, but the sound was dead. My cat had chewed the cable off. When I bought a new one, I wrapped it in electrical tape. I think the cat either lost interest or hopefully didn't like the smell/taste of the glue in the tape.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Mmh, tape is an idea yes, but if I want to protect all the exposed cables I have around I'm gonna need miles of it, because she will attack any inch exposed, cats don't miss opportunities. :mrgreen:
I see some repellent fluids advertised but that means I wont avoid getting some of the smell on my hands every day and my catte will be miserable.
Maybe a combination of hard plastic tubes and tape then...*sigh*

They never tell you about that in cable management classes, but the problem is real for many scenarios in life.

"- Dont worry no country leader will ever push the nuke button and start ww3
- I get that but what if theres a cat...somewhere...imagine the chill when someone at the bunker suddenly asks btw wheres the cat?"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:Mmh, tape is an idea yes, but if I want to protect all the exposed cables I have around I'm gonna need miles of it, because she will attack any inch exposed, cats don't miss opportunities. :mrgreen:
I see some repellent fluids advertised but that means I wont avoid getting some of the smell on my hands every day and my catte will be miserable.
Maybe a combination of hard plastic tubes and tape then...*sigh*
This looks neat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Neoprene-C ... Sw3h1ZWwpI

Or: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Wire-Org ... SwXftZ4Z2r
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

First time seeing these, very interesting and unexpensive! thanks.