Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Mischief Maker »

Stand-alone DLCs.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

how come?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

vol.2 wrote:how come?
Well I finally bought Spellfoce 3 on sale which only has standalone DLCs. It encapsulates everything I hate about them:

1. The hard drive space devoured by all the redundant files from the separate standalone installs is insane.

2. Having to click between multiple executables to run the same game with different factions is annoying.

3. I HAVE TO install all 3 DLCs on the machine to mix and match the different factions in skirmish games.

4. The GOG version of Spellforce 3 doesn't detect the presence of DLCs located in entirely different file folders properly.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Littlest of little annoyed hells imaginable, requiring an unfathomably powerful alien microscope to detect: all the record label-provided tracks on Youtube having comments disabled by default. While YT comment sections do tend towards diarrhoea treatment plant explosions, sometimes it's nice to browse. You can find some decent recs to similar music, if nothing else.

Still, beats Napster, or reading about shit and wondering what it sounds like. Image
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There's a translation of Tales of Destiny's PS2 remake finally... but it has several translation errors. Specifically, instead of using the actual names of characters and objects, it appears to inconsistently pick and choose whether or not to use the PS1 English version's names (that renamed characters and objects):

• The Eye of God (Kami no Me) is localized as the Eye of Atamoni, its PS1 name.
Spoiler
• Miktran uses his correct name in cutscenes but is suddenly NAME CHANGED in battle to Kronos and Kronos EX, reflecting his PS1 names instead of the correct Miktran and Miktran Excessive (ミクトラン エクセシブ)!
• Woodrow Kelvin is NOT renamed to Garr Kelvin, an instance where the PS1 change doesn't apply. I'm happy about this, mind you!

• "Disillusion Blast Caliber" was edited to the far blander "Hi-Ougi Mystic Arte" to reflect official localization in an early release, then they simply removed the word "Disillusion" and moved the word "Blast" up, leaving gigantic empty spaces that look uneven during the cut-in of the attack.

• They've taken serious liberties in translating attack names to the point where the names are in many cases worse than official localized attack names in other games. Mary's "Shinrabassai", 森羅爆砕 (something like Forest Wide Explosion Blast) gets localized as "Gaia's Fury". Who the heck is Gaia in the context of the game? Why refer to such a specific deity name when it's not used at all in the game lore? Furthermore the word "fury" is not in the original attack name at all! "Bakujinkyousatsu", 爆神狂刹 (Explosion God Insanity Temple) gets changed to "Infernal Rampage", stripping it of any original meaning. And neither of these attacks have ever been in an official English game. I realize there's a character limit for attack names, but "Demonic Tiger Blade" fits the character limit so surely they have space to come up with something more accurate like Forest-Wide Blast and Explosive Insanity.

I mean, it's all playable and understandable, and these are minor nitpicks, but these sort of unnecessary translation changes smack of someone trying to make their mark as a localizer rather than a translator and makes my eyes twitch.
JBC

Post by JBC »

FromSoft lore hounds who pretend to be into the lore of games they haven't even experienced yet and make *shocking reveal* fan theory videos on YT about characters no one could possibly have any genuine connection to or investment in because it isn't even out.

Maybe I'm just being a scrooge but it annoys me. I know other fandoms do this too but it's especially egregious with From Soft because the nature of it's storytelling from game to game just doesn't seem conducive to this kind of thing. There isn't much of a through-line here and it's also a world of magic where literally anything could be. There's *no rules* and nothing has to make sense so where is the justification for fan theories about a high fantasy game no one has played beyond just collecting views off the hype? I don't care who the Elden Lord is or whatever yet, I have no context for it.

I don't watch them or anything, it's just always in my feed even when I tell the algo to stop showing them to me by clicking the 'not interested' or 'don't reccomend channel' buttons. It's like they don't work because I still see Dreamcast Guy's terrible mustache and RGT85's click bait at least once a day.
Godzilla was an inside job
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Have you tried "Don't reccomend channel"? I know that kind of obnoxious "Wildly unsubstantiated theory" clickbait is fucking annoying.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

"don't recommend channel" is highly recommended. take control over your curation. block the duds.
JBC

Post by JBC »

it's just always in my feed even when I tell the algo to stop showing them to me by clicking the 'not interested' or 'don't reccomend channel' buttons
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

When the butter packaging says its spreadable but it isn't without turning your bread into a patty.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

i hate that and my solution for the past 20 years is to just to melt the butter in a cast iron skillet and fry the bread in the butter. i do not fuck around with solid butter patties
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Rightsholders who claim to care so much about the consumers outside their country, but refuse to actually grant said consumers access to consume product.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

People that invent the idea that a rightsholder actually does "care" about people outside their market. :-)

Obviously, if there was a genuinely profitable and worthwhile reason to care, the product (in question) might become available. Dealing with international transactions isn't worth it for a lot of us. In my experience, some international customers are more likely to be scamsters. Have to stick with trusted regions. Returns get very expensive, because buyers demand their initial shipping cost refunded and they demand sellers pay for return shipping. Things can get too expensive fast. I acknowledge that everyone wants to buy high quality products, but should a mistake cause financial ruin? How much risk should a seller take on? In some cases, you want all the bugs out of your hobby project before you even think about shipping out of country.

If you're talking software, localization can be expensive and difficult. Often, people clamoring for game X are a vocal minority. Emulation solutions and community localization efforts all have restricted licensing. Turns out, many emu devs are only all about preservation if it involves a free rom download. If someone wants to sell the game (instead of just downloading romz), everyone suddenly has their hand out. So, now the dev of an old game is supposed to author an emulator on multiple platforms, do a belated translation by hand, and make sure you finally get your "unreleased" niche game? Dream on. Or, they could cut some crap deal and not make any money (assuming there's any real market for the game) out of pure passion and love?

Maybe the rightsholder doesn't care. Maybe there is no love. If it's profitable enough, it will happen. If not, that's a shame.
We apologise for the inconvenience
null1024

Post by null1024 »

vol.2 wrote:"don't recommend channel" is highly recommended. take control over your curation. block the duds.
Youtube's recommendations have been soundly garbage lately and have basically no relation to what I'm interested in. It really doesn't matter who I'm subscribed to, what videos I say not interested in, and even when I click "don't recommend channel", there are still dozens of channels that are nearly identical with how garbage they are, and stuff I'm subscribed to or is related to what I'm subscribed to often gets buried under trash now.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
JBC

Post by JBC »

"Actually shit is good to eat" - Most Redditors
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

When I spend my holiday days answering work e-mails from people who spend their holiday days catching up with work, for reasons that certainly escape me now.
"Sorry to disturb you on a holiday day, but it is an urgent matter [...]" is the clearest proof that your interlocutor is a Darwin award waiting to happen.
Outlook pretending that I did not turn on the "do not disturb" function also deserves robust doses of fisting punishment. With spiked iron gloves, spikes being rusty and covered with chilli peppers of course.

EDIT: OK, it was a grand total of 2 hours, but srly, d00ds: never again.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I might be the only one, but hey ho.

Radio stations that keep playing recordings of previous winners of their competitions screaming into my car speakers that they won £10000. I don't know them, i'm not benefitting from that money and its not entertainment. They also don't advertise that 99% of callers get a "you didn't get through this time" message when they call the number, clocking up countless amount of call charges.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

When emulation developers find out their emulator (software) is being sold and they start lecturing people about the sanctity of their fucking IP. :mrgreen:
We apologise for the inconvenience
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Contrary to popular belief, emulation isn't all about piracy :)
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Emulation is the reason i don't have to pay some asshole $1k for a game he bought for $100 a few years ago.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Speaking of which, awbacon making videos on topics he has no right to be discussing with any kind of claim to authority, including emulation.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I assume you're talking about this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlwzp7hMqc

I don't see anything terribly offputting about it outside of the fact that it doesn't really focus on making any conclusions, and instead spends a weird amount of time talking about the tone of the colors which has nothing to do with emulation. If your emulator gets the color wrong, it should be a lot more obvious, the rest is just a calibration.
JBC

Post by JBC »

WelshMegalodon wrote:he has no right to be discussing with any kind of claim to authority, including emulation.
I've never heard him claim to be an expert. Anyone has a right to make a video about anything they're interested in, even if you don't like them for whatever reason. His comparison videos are pretty useful imo
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Sumez wrote:I assume you're talking about this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlwzp7hMqc
Teh video wrote:MiSTer FPGA DE-10 - FPGA Emulation vs Software Emulation in MAME - which is "better"
No steel cage match; not worth watching.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Software all trending towards web/browser-based (or mobile-only), no matter how simple the task performed or how potentially personal/sensitive the data you might want to put into it. Everything shifting towards Subscription sux too

When they said "you'll own nothing and you'll be happy" I didn't expect to have to wonder (even if only half-jokingly) if even the concept of creating and storing text files or w/e on your computer could one day be on that chopping block :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

YouTube videos with an intro
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Software all trending towards web/browser-based (or mobile-only), no matter how simple the task performed or how potentially personal/sensitive the data you might want to put into it.
It's more of a consequence of people not having developed a proper cross-platform toolkit for making GUI applications yet that covers every platform conceivable (cross-platform between Windows/OSX/Linux and cross-platform between desktop/mobile) while actually taking advantage of the native UI elements. Meanwhile every platform can render identical enough output through web browsers, which is why Electron is so popular as a GUI development framework nowadays despite essentially being a Chromium shell for web apps and having tons of performance overhead. It Just Werks, until a new Electron update comes out and then it doesn't.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Sumez wrote:YouTube videos with an intro
Hey, drauch here. In this post I'm going to talk about how I fucking hate this shit, and how I don't understand why everyone fucking does this.

Yeah man. It's so bad. Nobody fucking cares who you are and we all know what the video is about from the goddamn title. This drives me maaaaaad. It's sad when you know that almost no matter what video you click on you're already primed to move forward anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Is it the sort of thing that largely happens with Youtube types that are trying to sell their personality as their brand, rather than relying on the quality of what they're posting itself? I assume that's what leads to those sort of fluff intros being tacked on to the start of each video, gotta market yourself for the clicks, etc.
JBC

Post by JBC »

YouTube in general has gotten so bad. Thanks to the algorithm and monetization it's nothing like what it was originally intended to be.

Luckily you can still find interesting and useful vlogs through searching but every YT'r who's successful tends to end up in the same place, churning out the same shit.

Side note, the Do Not Reccomend and Not Interested buttons still don't work. I still see RGT85 & SpawnWave's click bait nothing burgers in my feed every day.