Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Xyga

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Xyga »

cars being money pits
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

cold. rain. snow. again. in fucking may.

haven't seen shit like that here in decades
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

One of these days I'm going to record a video of me burning my cardboard PCB boxes out of spite for this stupid market of collector fetishization of packaging materials.

After I bought a complete Cave game I remember dying a little inside when I got a message asking me to sell the cardboard box and the antistatic bubble wrap. It's generic antistatic bubble wrap, who the fuck cares if they have bubble wrap that's the exact colour and style that came with the game originally or not?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

You know you can't resist.

ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

When somebody plays like a retard in a demo video. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5CK5-NQVk
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Dreaming about your alarm waking you up just before your alarm actually wakes you up.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Apparently there are no longer any sub-300 zeni cameras that distiguish enough from smartphones in PQ to be worth the money.
Some reviewers suggest the quality is even going down, with only zoom and convenience features or gadgets to 'justify' the pricing.
I was looking for a relatively light, compact one with big zoom for all purpose + hiking/nature, and after reading plenty of reviews I must say it's no surprise this market is dying, manufacturers seem to have completely abandoned it, some of the popular available models are actually several years old releases low in stock everywhere I've looked.
Only the upper categories offer visibly better PQ like you'd expect from a speciality/dedicated device, but of course the prices (and volume/weight if you want a good zoom) are easily twice or thrice what I was planning to spend. *sigh*
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

United Parcel Smashers strikes again. I bought a refurb 23" LCD monitor online, shipped by UPS. They delivered it to the wrong address, recovered the package and delivered it. Only problem is, they "inspected" it. And by "inspected", I mean "picked it up by the display and damaged the fuck out of it, leaving a permanent thumbprint sized mark on the screen". So, I slapped it back in it's box (which they had put back in upside-down), and called their dumb asses so they could return the thing. Except they didn't show up. I had to call them again to schedule a second pickup. I'm currently waiting on my refund.

http://sk8tokyo.com/udder/!crap/fuckUPS.jpg
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Shopping for displays is still ridiculous.

There's no good options. Big box stores and small stores are equally awful. Retail deserves to die from the internet. If I can't check the display out in the store and get customer service in person, why the fuck would I bother to buy it in person? I can check it out at home and return it using Amazon. Retail sucks and it deserves this death.

I'm not allowed to touch the remote. One guy told me "the manufacturer controls the input feed." (I don't even know how to respond something that ridiculous.)

I'm tired of listening to retail stores whine and complain that they are losing because of taxes or some other bullshit. They are losing because they suck at their jobs.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

That's kinda wierd, last time I was at The Source they even let me plug in my netbook and switch inputs to it to play around with the display and test input lag ..
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Udderdude wrote:That's kinda wierd, last time I was at The Source they even let me plug in my netbook and switch inputs to it to play around with the display and test input lag ..
A wise choice. The Source wants to survive and have jobs in the future. Unfortunately, we don't have any of those where I live.

In my case, I literally have to know someone that is working to see anything besides stock demo modes or the store's demo video feed--and come in at a convenient time when management won't stop us.
We apologise for the inconvenience
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

How hard it is to find well-written articles on protein powders. Look at these juicy tidbits:
One of the bеnеfitѕ [of the product being reviewed] iѕ thе роrtаbilitу.
This inсrеаѕеѕ thе biоlоgiсаl vаluе оf whеу.
That’s what hарреnѕ whеn уоu hаvе tо take thе way thrоugh еxtrа рrосеѕѕеѕ tо еliminаtе thе fat аnd lactose. But in rеturn, you’re gеtting a mоrе uѕаblе whey.
I hate the health product industry.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

WelshMegalodon wrote:How hard it is to find well-written articles on protein powders. Look at these juicy tidbits:
One of the bеnеfitѕ [of the product being reviewed] iѕ thе роrtаbilitу.
This inсrеаѕеѕ thе biоlоgiсаl vаluе оf whеу.
That’s what hарреnѕ whеn уоu hаvе tо take thе way thrоugh еxtrа рrосеѕѕеѕ tо еliminаtе thе fat аnd lactose. But in rеturn, you’re gеtting a mоrе uѕаblе whey.
I hate the health product industry.
It most probably wont be what you want to hear but I'll give it to you straight;

Biological value/valence/availability; its all bollocks.
Whey protein, is an inside joke.
Protein intake, as it pertains to muscle building and nutrition in general, is a scam.
Ingesting refined protein sources as a means to obtain amino acids, is akin to consuming glucose powder as a means to obtain your carbs.

By all means, feel free to ignore all I've said and continue to give away your hard earned cash, put stress on your kidneys and shit back out your nitrogen investment.

Oh, and have a nice day! :wink:
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Regardless of your stance on protien powders, shakes, etc yes real food is ALWAYS a better option but how is having balanced macros not something to consider when going for muscle growth? You don't balance carbs fats and protien based on if you are cutting or bulking?
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Macro's are calories.
Re. cutting, bulking, growth; Calories in and calories out, is primary.

Re. my "stance on protein powders";
1. Do you have the means to assay what is claimed to be in the tub?
2. Do truly believe you have the Metabolic/Anabolic ability to utilise the protein/mystery power?

All of which is secondary to the following; have you ever known anyone that was protein deficient?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Zen wrote: It most probably wont be what you want to hear but I'll give it to you straight;
It's actually exactly what I'd like to hear, being that I'm only shopping for protein powders at the suggestion of a health-conscious friend after regular diet and moderate exercise for a year and a half with visible but inadequate results.

Let's see, as for food intake, I eat generous amounts of meat, fresh vegetables, and fruit on a daily basis, with the obligatory 3/4 bowl of rice because Asians. I don't drink anything other than water. I don't drink or smoke, rarely eat out, and have soda or sweets maybe a few times a year. I also don't eat outside of meals and don't consume any dairy.

I'm 5'8" and ~118 pounds.

Is the secret to bulking just eating a lot of protein-rich foods and working out a lot? I already eat plenty of tofu, nuts, beans, and the like.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
bottino

Post by bottino »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Zen wrote: It most probably wont be what you want to hear but I'll give it to you straight;
It's actually exactly what I'd like to hear, being that I'm only shopping for protein powders at the suggestion of a health-conscious friend after regular diet and moderate exercise for a year and a half with visible but inadequate results.

Let's see, as for food intake, I eat generous amounts of meat, fresh vegetables, and fruit on a daily basis, with the obligatory 3/4 bowl of rice because Asians. I don't drink anything other than water. I don't drink or smoke, rarely eat out, and have soda or sweets maybe a few times a year. I also don't eat outside of meals and don't consume any dairy.

Well, as a P.E teacher/instructor the best ( online ) advice that I can give you is: beware of the things that you read regarding training and/or nutrition on the internet :wink:

Your diet seems adequate and healthy enough to me, but the best thing to do in that regard is to consult with a nutritionist and explain to him/her that you're engaged in a training program, that you want to build muscle mass, how's your daily routine, etc.
Is the secret to bulking just eating a lot of protein-rich foods and working out a lot? I already eat plenty of tofu, nuts, beans, and the like.
Broadly speaking, the "secret" is having a balanced diet, an adequate and well-assisted resistance training program and getting a lot of rest/sleep ( something that's often neglected ). The quality and regularity of your training are the key factors - in a lot of ways, it's not different from working into achieving a high-score in a STG :)

Also, keep in mind that neuromuscular adaptations takes precedence during the early stages of training.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

bottino wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:

Well, as a P.E teacher/instructor the best ( online ) advice that I can give you is: beware of the things that you read regarding training and/or nutrition on the internet :wink:

Your diet seems adequate and healthy enough to me, but the best thing to do in that regard is to consult with a nutritionist and explain to him/her that you're engaged in a training program, that you want to build muscle mass, how's your daily routine, etc.
Broadly speaking, the "secret" is having a balanced diet, an adequate and well-assisted resistance training program and getting a lot of rest/sleep ( something that's often neglected ). The quality and regularity of your training are the key factors - in a lot of ways, it's not different from working into achieving a high-score in a STG :)

Also, keep in mind that neuromuscular adaptations takes precedence during the early stages of training.
I don't mind chiming in on all this but perhaps a mod could move it to the Weightlifting/exercise thread? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42347&hilit=training+thread
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

do GOMAD+SS
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Spend hours reading about cameras, carefully narrow it down to a couple of models you feel are the right value...
...the next day prices increased by 10% :|
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Zen wrote:Macro's are calories.
Re. cutting, bulking, growth; Calories in and calories out, is primary.

Re. my "stance on protein powders";
1. Do you have the means to assay what is claimed to be in the tub?
2. Do truly believe you have the Metabolic/Anabolic ability to utilise the protein/mystery power?

All of which is secondary to the following; have you ever known anyone that was protein deficient?
Macro's are not distinctly calories in vs calories out. You can lose weight by dropping calories of course but depending on your goal with bulking WHAT you eat is important.

Again you don't get macros with the protien joke. Seeing as its all about joke please post a pic of yourself because you're ripped ;)
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Strikers1945guy wrote:Macro's are not distinctly calories in vs calories out. You can lose weight by dropping calories of course but depending on your goal with bulking WHAT you eat is important.
Not as important as you might think. That it is a calorie, takes precedence over secondary matters, as far as the body is concerned. The nutrient partitioning that you allude to, is also broadly speaking, a myth. But I will concede, that of the three, Fat is vital for anabolism in males.
Strikers1945guy wrote:Again you don't get macros with the protien joke.
Protein is a macro. What joke do you mean?
Strikers1945guy wrote:Seeing as its all about joke please post a pic of yourself because you're ripped :wink:
Are you formally calling me out, sir?! How dare you! :lol:
As you are walking blindly into this . . . this, Juggernaut, I will allow you time to reconsider! :lol:
(ps. there is already a sneaky pic of me on here.)
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

When you ask someone a question and they start their response with, "sure".
-
It's like bitch I didn't ask you a yes or no question!!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

google's "designers"
Who in fuck's name thought it would be a good idea to put a big fucking pause icon in the middle of video while the controls are visible? Why don't normal things like spacebar to pause/unpause work?

see, there used to be this thing called UI testing, where you got a bunch of people not in-the-know to provide feedback on the interface looks and feels
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

When you want to delete a file in Windows by right-clicking it and end up creating a shortcut instead because your touchpad skills are subpar.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

the most popular files sharing service on the french-speaking web recently applied the most agressive anti-adblocker policy I have ever seen. basically they blacklist you for having even dared to visit with a an adbloker (any of them) installed on your brower, even if it's turned off completely.
clean everything, come back, change browsers, use a proxy: nope, no way, they give you the finger for good.
people complain, traffic must have fallen by like -70% over a week, yet they won't budge.

not the only place i've seen that sort of stupidity of course, it's a global trend, but it's beyond my understanding that some sites and services would commit traffic suicide while actually killing even more ad revenue in the process, yet still believe that's the smart thing to do.

more ads than ever, more blockers needed, more anti-blockers in the way, more and more sites dying because of that abysmally stupid war.
I miss the 2000's internet.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Xyga wrote:the most popular files sharing service on the french-speaking web recently applied the most agressive anti-adblocker policy I have ever seen. basically they blacklist you for having even dared to visit with a an adbloker (any of them) installed on your brower, even if it's turned off completely.
clean everything, come back, change browsers, use a proxy: nope, no way, they give you the finger for good.
people complain, traffic must have fallen by like -70% over a week, yet they won't budge.

not the only place i've seen that sort of stupidity of course, it's a global trend, but it's beyond my understanding that some sites and services would commit traffic suicide while actually killing even more ad revenue in the process, yet still believe that's the smart thing to do.

more ads than ever, more blockers needed, more anti-blockers in the way, more and more sites dying because of that abysmally stupid war.
Google for an anti-anti-adblocker solution. I'm not shitting you.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I know you're not joking, but this has become tiresome really.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:the most popular files sharing service on the french-speaking web recently applied the most agressive anti-adblocker policy I have ever seen. basically they blacklist you for having even dared to visit with a an adbloker (any of them) installed on your brower, even if it's turned off completely.

Don't tell me it's 1fichier, because it seems to be working fine on my end.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It is, I haven't been able to use it at all for a while, tried FF, Chrome, abp/ublock off then uninstalled. Tried a proxy browser too but their shit is picky enough to give it the finger as well.
Really suspect some agressive targeted blacklisting, which isn't necessarily the same for every country. Probably a mistake on their part or a bug because this is going too far.