Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
orange808

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by orange808 »

Sumez wrote:
orange808 wrote: Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods.
Yeah well there are people who hold Adolf Hitler in high regard as well XD
Sure, but they're so easily distracted. :mrgreen:
https://youtu.be/UDB9oCgVHGw
We apologise for the inconvenience
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sumez wrote:
orange808 wrote: Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods.
Yeah well there are people who hold Adolf Hitler in high regard as well XD
I don't know about Thatcher's public opinion in the UK, but Regan has always had a very high approval. Compared to W. Bush he was practically loved, even among many democrats. Regan had that whole "the 80's is the future" thing going for him that really captivated people, and politics as public relations became much more sophisticated. He was the first Republican after Nixon to look good and come off charismatic in front of a camera.

Regan was like the Max Headroom of presidents.

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mischief Maker wrote:Doesn't matter what I just watched, even if it's a trans left-wing youtuber, the algorithm REALLY REALLY wants to autoplay old Peterson videos.
For some time now I've been similarly bombarded with links to articles by the Washington Examiner on both my laptop and my phone, despite their stock and trade being pants-wetting temper tantrums like this from all I've seen of them.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Actually a small thing this time.

People that go to videos talking about upscaling/linedoubling old consoles etc to drop a comment about just how cool they are because they emulate instead. It's so fucking weird and something I noticed as I've been watching Retrotink 5X reviews and some other content from the channels where I thought their review was interesting.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Actually a small thing this time.

People that go to videos talking about upscaling/linedoubling old consoles etc to drop a comment about just how cool they are because they emulate instead. It's so fucking weird and something I noticed as I've been watching Retrotink 5X reviews and some other content from the channels where I thought their review was interesting.
Noticed a lot of that in the last 3 years and yes it's a bit annoying.

''lmao just get a xXx@Raspberry^PI@xXx mate''
''lmao why do that when you can just emulate on a PEECEE ????!??1??''

it's like these people don't understand that some want to play on the OG consoles.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote: it's like these people don't understand that some want to play on the OG consoles.
I think it's like any other form of outdated or obsolete technology. Why would someone want to still use a VHS tape? Why cassettes? Why old radios?

Some people just don't get it.

On the other hand, there is probably a number of them who simply can't afford real console stuff, or don't want to spend the money on it, and it's all sour grapes.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

vol.2 wrote:
I think it's like any other form of outdated or obsolete technology. Why would someone want to still use a VHS tape? Why cassettes? Why old radios?

Some people just don't get it.

On the other hand, there is probably a number of them who simply can't afford real console stuff, or don't want to spend the money on it, and it's all sour grapes.
That's two good hypothesis indeed
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I think it also goes to the weirdness some people have of "everyone else should like what I like and do things the same way as me".
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^^
That too fo 'sho
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

orange808 wrote:Are there any figures in history that are smeared more often (or more effectively) than Napoleon Bonaparte? Now, you want to blow smoke up my ass and judge him based on woke 2021 values? What other famous figures are judged this way? The monarchs of Europe smeared him viciously, because they loved their privilege and money. Napoleon threatened their corrupt lifestyles.

Even if the net result was a transfer of power from one band of grifters to another, I don't feel sorry for the losers. Napoleon helped end your free ride? Well, sorry bout your luck. *shrug*

The smear campaign continues. Fair criticism is fine and there's plenty to criticise with Napoleon, but using woke 2021 values is nothing more than a continuation of a 200+ year smear campaign. Napoleon was a product of his time and there's plenty of blame to go around.
I'd point the arrow in a different direction. The establishment types you're attributing this to are the exact type of people who'd look back on him admiringly. He was the Kobe Bryant of the game they're all playing (Elba was his Colorado hotel). Hated for much of his own career, in retrospect he might not have been winning rings for their team, but damn if they don't respect the talent & drive.

Where Napoleon earned his enduring enemies was among leftists, and particularly Marxists. Marx wrote one of his more famous pieces, the 18th Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte, about Napoleon I's nephew Louis, president of France who had at that point led a coup which made him emperor. But Marx spared no criticism of the first Napoleon in it, referring to him as a historical tragedy and painting him as having railroaded the fruits of the French Revolution and handing it over to the bourgeoisie. This effectively continued the pattern of rentiership which separated the people from the results of their own labour and fed directly into the development of capitalism.

This work would go on to significantly influence the later Marxist critique of fascism, which was highly influential in the post-war period. Napoleon I and his regime, as right wing dictator of a modern industrializing nation, came to be seen as a protoype for fascism.

Napoleon as a colonialist villain is a late development, as post-colonial theory didn't really arrive until the 1990s (precursors like subaltern theory & similar fields had been around but were smaller & less widely influential).
Here's an idea: Let's use this woke criteria on some other leaders: starting with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. This isn't really about feminism or racism, is it? No. It's about a smear campaign.
Reagan, and particularly Reagan's CIA is widely seen as one of the worse actors of the latter half of the 20th century. It's only US conservatives who've deified him for 'defeating' the Soviet Union.

Thatcher likewise was roundly despised in her own country by non-conservatives, mentions of Thatcher's dreary England show up in all sorts of music & literature from the time.

Also, in my personal Injustice League score rankings, she literally backed Pol Pot, who I think might well have been the actual worst monster of the 20th century; he just didn't have the same demo/geo-graphic base to work from as Hitler & Stalin. Neither of those two went as far as to start shooting everyone with glasses for being a suspect counter-revolutionary intellectual.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Overused buzz phrases like "the new normal" or "there's no there there."
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

"I don't like horis" :?

I assume these people lose their mind in DFK stage 5 when it starts scrolling horizontally. :lol:
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

well yeah that's the laser-wheel part
the part that kinda feels like it spawned from the depths of IREM :lol:
damn man now i'm kinda wondering if the choice to scroll horizontally there is actually some kinda of sick meta-joke

it also for whatever reason gave me the horrible idea of a hori where the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Actors screaming in TV drama. Can't act? Just start screaming your head off.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:it also for whatever reason gave me the horrible idea of a hori where the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall
If the shot fits, you must acquit :mrgreen:
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

konami pls :shock:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:
mamboFoxtrot wrote:it also for whatever reason gave me the horrible idea of a hori where the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall
If the shot fits, you must acquit :mrgreen:
Konami quality hitboxes strike again.
Last edited by Udderdude on Sat May 29, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:well yeah that's the laser-wheel part
I actually forgot the laser wheel part scrolled horizontally, I was thinking the bit at the end of the stage that scrolls to the left. :oops:
the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall
I remember the giant crates in Ikaruga actually do this; you can just barely squeeze through them in a pacifist/Dot Eater run without having to actually shoot them.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I generally get along decently with my supervisor at work, but one thing she regularly does that drives me nuts is suddenly telling me to drop what I'm doing in favor of something unrelated when I'm literally a minute or two away from finishing my current task, and overruling me when I tell her as much. This usually means that I need to put away whatever equipment I'm currently using to make room for what I need for the new assignment, only to have to switch everything back out again later on just to finish my last two minutes of work from earlier, which adds insult to injury.

It gets even worse if she says she'll take over something I'm halfway through, which results in me attempting to give her a quick summary of how I've set things up and what my process is so she doesn't unintentionally screw up the end result, only to be shooed away before I can finish because my attempt to explain the situation is "wasting time".

The kicker is that she's both knowledgeable and a hard worker, so she's definitely not someone I'm generally inclined to badmouth, but I honestly wish I had some empirical way to measure how frequently her efforts to save time (which, to be fair, are almost certainly coming from above her) end up wasting it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Yeah that sounds awful. I guess if she's just following orders than maybe it's not her fault, but I hate inefficiency at work, and I detest when people think they know something and refuse to listen to someone who clearly has more experience just to satisfy their own egos. It's usually a sign of emotional immaturity, and is infuriating in an adult in a work situation. The only way I can cope with crap like that is to just disconnect myself from it and cover my own ass any way I can in case they fail hard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I honestly don't think it's an ego thing, I think she's just very accustomed to juggling numerous proverbial chainsaws at once on a moment's notice (again, almost certainly at the insistence of management) while I much prefer to, insofar as is possible, do one thing at a time and only have to do it once, so having to say to myself "...okay, what was I doing before this again?" on a regular basis tends to grind my gears.

I frankly always resented "ability to multitask" being listed as a skill requirement on every job application I ever saw for years running (though "willing to take on additional tasks as needed" still beats it out on the red-flag-o-meter), but I can't exactly blame her for fitting that sort of profile better than me, especially since she's a genuinely capable worker; I can, however, gripe about our incompatible work styles in the darkest corners of the internet, heh.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BulletMagnet wrote:I generally get along decently with my supervisor at work, but one thing she regularly does that drives me nuts is suddenly telling me to drop what I'm doing in favor of something unrelated when I'm literally a minute or two away from finishing my current task, and overruling me when I tell her as much. This usually means that I need to put away whatever equipment I'm currently using to make room for what I need for the new assignment, only to have to switch everything back out again later on just to finish my last two minutes of work from earlier, which adds insult to injury.

It gets even worse if she says she'll take over something I'm halfway through, which results in me attempting to give her a quick summary of how I've set things up and what my process is so she doesn't unintentionally screw up the end result, only to be shooed away before I can finish because my attempt to explain the situation is "wasting time".

The kicker is that she's both knowledgeable and a hard worker, so she's definitely not someone I'm generally inclined to badmouth, but I honestly wish I had some empirical way to measure how frequently her efforts to save time (which, to be fair, are almost certainly coming from above her) end up wasting it.
Ah yes, married life.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah sounds like she's trying to flex authority and nothing else.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Eh, I'm still inclined to give her more credit than that; if nothing else she's far from the worst supervisor I've had, and I have had ones that were explicitly in the "and what are you gonna do about it?" camp. In any event, it's kind of a moot point: whatever her motivations, that's the way she works, and it will annoy me to the point of wasting everyone's time here griping about it. :P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Maybe that's a career of being used to stepping in and fixing messes, then?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

This sounds so familiar to me as I've encountered this same thing in jobs and relationships. And I'm always in the do one thing well, finish it and move on to the next camp.

Which brings me to another little thing that annoys me, when people repeat the statement that "men cannot multi-task."

That being said, my thinking is that in a work scenario you have two good options. Either confront your supervisor and explain what you're feeling (if you have a good working relationship there's probably more leeway to express yourself than you think). Although if you've already said hey I really need to finish this now and I think it'll save time and they override you, not much you can do.

Second option is take a deep breath, accept the reality that it's out of your control and do your best to begin focusing on the next task. 20 minutes in you'll be back in the zone.

Where I go wrong in these situations is I end up going with the flow, but bitterly fuming about the situation on the inside which is even more distracting than the forced task switching scenario. You can't always control if and when you have to switch tasks, but you can learn to transition better.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:That being said, my thinking is that in a work scenario you have two good options.
Yeah, things tend to go something like that: when asked to switch gears when I'm close to finishing something I'll ask if I can tie things up beforehand, but if she says "no, I need this first" I do it, any resistance beyond that point is frankly more trouble than it's worth. As I mentioned in my first post we do tend to get along pretty well all things considered, no need to let one point of contention overpower everything else.
Blinge wrote:Maybe that's a career of being used to stepping in and fixing messes, then?
Could be, though I should also note that she, unlike myself, is married with kids, and thus presumably more accustomed to "seat-of-pants chaos" as a modus operandi in general, heh.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Meaningless game tags. Of course I like "Indie" games but I'll break down my all time favorite 360° eye roll: RPG.

The annoyance comes from 99% cases (and I'm not exaggerating) - oh right, it has HP and MP. Sure, I know some "arguments" - dialogue, story, characters. Well just look at Touhou: we have a lot of it, we take the role of a flying girl, talk about dream RPG! I started calling Space Invaders RPG, that's how it's used over past 20 years.

What seems to elude most people is that this is a gameplay tag not a content tag: Role Playing Game, the part that's played here is the role itself. It doesn't qualify by choosing how to do it (or how to kill it), the choice is what to do you want to do, why, last it shines with alternative methods to achieve it. No, choosing to play the game at all doesn't count yet.

On side I don't think the problem came from introducing jRPG. At least for a time the tag was maintained for clarity, if anything these should've been called Chinese RPG but overall oh-kay... What I think contributed the worst for this state were actually the masters themselves: for bringing Neverwinter Nights as something that it is not.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I now identify as non-octal. I've gone full hex. :-) I'm so not decimal and binary be so basic! Next, imma encode my identification in quantum states and stick in Schrodinger's Box.
We apologise for the inconvenience
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Itchy foot when driving.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.