Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Blacksheep
Banned User

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Blacksheep »

orange808 wrote:I hate it when I click on a link with an interesting title and website has no text. All I get is a link to a YouTube channel or podcast. I don't have time to watch or listen to your show! Just write down what you want to share.
This, so much. Slowly, but surely, there is a general movement away from text towards video, and it's maddening (and this is coming from a millenial).
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker wrote:No, youtube algorithm, I DON'T want to watch 4-year-old Jordan Peterson videos.

Doesn't matter what I just watched, even if it's a trans left-wing youtuber, the algorithm REALLY REALLY wants to autoplay old Peterson videos.

Somebody with money wants him to come back in a big way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXxlYzBCno
Had to google to know who this was. Seems like an asshole.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Youtube video essays where they flash an entire paragraph of text for all of a second, forcing me to rewind and pause at the exact moment.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Shaders for low res games/emulators that completely destroy the original pixel art into a blobby mess. Just look at this. This is a crime against art.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Water and wine indeed. :lol:

More like water and
Spoiler
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Just look at this. This is a crime against art.

WFT? That's disgusting.

Why?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL, that response is perfect. :lol:

I wouldn't have been so annoyed I think had he not insisted that not only does this look good, it should also be the only graphical option in the game:
In my personal opinion, the game should present only one type of graphic image: wine!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Why not just go whole hog and AI upscale the entire thing? Let me see those fake textures.
Steamflogger Boss

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:BIL, that response is perfect. :lol:

I wouldn't have been so annoyed I think had he not insisted that not only does this look good, it should also be the only graphical option in the game:
In my personal opinion, the game should present only one type of graphic image: wine!
Undoubtedly the same kind of person that stretches 4:3 content to widescreen to not have those awful "black bars" on the screen.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Undoubtedly the same kind of person that stretches 4:3 content to widescreen to not have those awful "black bars" on the screen.
stretch
Steamflogger Boss

Why must you hurt me, Roo.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I like that the uploader didn't even try to hide his use of save states.

Seriously, though, a tate game in widescreen? How can anyone play like that?
I know it may be a bit off putting for players used to the standard aspect ratio, but it's how I play the game and I think that it (probably?) looks better to people that aren't players of the game and just like to watch these types of videos.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mischief Maker wrote:Youtube video essays where they flash an entire paragraph of text for all of a second, forcing me to rewind and pause at the exact moment.
Even worse when that paragraph of text is placed in the bottom of the video where the YouTube interface blocks out all of the text while the video is paused if you watch the video in certain contexts like on a TV.
Tim Rogers can f the right off with that crap XD
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: stretch
Wasn't there some famous review video where all the footage of the game is stretched like that, and then like in the tail end of the review he lambasts the game for looking all stretched in the only video mode option that was able to take up the entire screen. :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, the problem with the game was that you have to manually stretch it all the way to fill up the whole screen :D
Thanks Elixir for keeping the video on the internet
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I like that the uploader didn't even try to hide his use of save states.
In fairness he wasn't trying to hide it; he just wanted to show off a no miss of that particular pattern and a bunch of other TLB patterns. But, as he's been told previously, there is obviously a difference between learning a pattern using practice mode / savestates, and pulling it off at the end of a 1cc where you'd be feeling way more pressure at that point.
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Why must you hurt me, Roo.
I'm sorry. ;w;
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Once upon a time I was a microbio major, and I was having a conversation today where mitochondria came up, but I kept blanking on the correct term and the only word that came into my head for them was "midichlorians." :evil:
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Blu-ray.com has been down for a couple of days and that's the primary resource that covers the majority of physical releases. It's only been manageable for awhile that I know what movies I want, but without that resource I'm fearing I'm going to end up with either bare-bones versions or quality on par with Anchor Bay's sorry efforts should they be gone for good.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

headlesshobbs wrote:Blu-ray.com has been down for a couple of days and that's the primary resource that covers the majority of physical releases. It's only been manageable for awhile that I know what movies I want, but without that resource I'm fearing I'm going to end up with either bare-bones versions or quality on par with Anchor Bay's sorry efforts should they be gone for good.
They won't be gone for good. They edited their post on the facebook page to say they will be down longer as they're moving the site to an OS that is actually supported and they will be back at some point.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

https://www.amazon.com/Puella-Magi-Homu ... 014Q0VUIK/
What in the absolute hell happened here? Why is a physical copy of this pushing upwards of $800 used? The new copy is cheaper, but still over $700.
For reference, volumes 1 and 3 are new for $17, and used for $8.

Absolutely baffling.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's algorithmic pricing. It's the ruin of online shopping. Always with books, it's horrible.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

EATDATPUSSY445 got outed as a fuckin chomo. Image

I barely know who that is. Some fat fuck youtuber. I'm still annoyed though! Way to taint a hilarious username.

Takes me back to JUNGLEMANIA, the boomer chomo with a great SN who never wastes a load. >_>
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote:It's algorithmic pricing. It's the ruin of online shopping. Always with books, it's horrible.
Yep, the robots are taking over. This has been annoying me for years now.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Fighting game story modes that are immutably set to one round only.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Are there any figures in history that are smeared more often (or more effectively) than Napoleon Bonaparte? Now, you want to blow smoke up my ass and judge him based on woke 2021 values? What other famous figures are judged this way? The monarchs of Europe smeared him viciously, because they loved their privilege and money. Napoleon threatened their corrupt lifestyles.

Even if the net result was a transfer of power from one band of grifters to another, I don't feel sorry for the losers. Napoleon helped end your free ride? Well, sorry bout your luck. *shrug*

The smear campaign continues. Fair criticism is fine and there's plenty to criticise with Napoleon, but using woke 2021 values is nothing more than a continuation of a 200+ year smear campaign. Napoleon was a product of his time and there's plenty of blame to go around.

Here's an idea: Let's use this woke criteria on some other leaders: starting with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. This isn't really about feminism or racism, is it? No. It's about a smear campaign.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Are you implying people don't typically criticize Reagan and Thatcher?
They strike me as two of the most commonly disliked first world leaders of the most recent decades.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Shit, dude, if we're gonna start cleansing antique propaganda from our modern consciousness, we should probably start with Matthew 22:25 in the Bible:
22“What then should I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked. They all answered, “Crucify Him!” 23 “Why?” asked Pilate. “What evil has He done?” But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify Him! 24 ”When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but that instead a riot was breaking out, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “You bear the responsibility.” 25 All the people answered, “His blood be on us and on our children!”
How fortunate when Christianity became the state religion of Rome that this crowd of people took responsibility entirely off the Roman state that actually tortured Jesus and actually crucified him! And how double-lucky that they also thought to lay blame at their children's (and children's children's, and so on) feet so someone in current times who might get angry about the crucifixion would direct their ire away from the Roman state itself.

Fun fact: "The Boogeyman" is Napoleon. Back before the fat diminutive Napoleon image caught on in British colonies, they called him "The Boney Man" and parents used his name to frighten their children.

Please don't use the conservative framing of the term "woke." Allowing them to dilute left-wing terminology ranging from "political correctness" to "virtue-signalling" into vague notions of cultural aggrievement only strengthens the fascist project.
Last edited by Mischief Maker on Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orange808

Post by orange808 »

Sumez wrote:Are you implying people don't typically criticize Reagan and Thatcher?
They strike me as two of the most commonly disliked first world leaders of the most recent decades.
Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods. Their audience remains loyal and (around many areas) criticism is likely to end in a shouting match or a brawl.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Mischief Maker wrote:Shit, dude, if we're gonna start cleansing antique propaganda from our modern consciousness, we should probably start with Matthew 22:25 in the Bible:
22“What then should I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked. They all answered, “Crucify Him!” 23 “Why?” asked Pilate. “What evil has He done?” But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify Him! 24 ”When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but that instead a riot was breaking out, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “You bear the responsibility.” 25 All the people answered, “His blood be on us and on our children!”
How fortunate when Christianity became the state religion of Rome that this crowd of people took responsibility entirely off the Roman state that actually tortured Jesus and actually crucified him! And how double-lucky that they also thought to lay blame at their children's (and children's children's, and so on) feet so someone in modern times who might get angry about the crucifixion would direct their ire away from the Roman state itself.

Fun fact: "The Boogeyman" is Napoleon. Back before the fat diminutive Napoleon image caught on in British colonies, they called him "The Boney Man" and parents used his name to frighten their children.

Please don't use the conservative framing of the term "woke." Allowing them to dilute left-wing terminology ranging from "political correctness" to "virtue-signalling" into vague notions of cultural aggrievement only strengthens the fascist project.
You have to own a label to take away the power. So, you have to stop letting Trumpers and Reagan-youth get to you.

No doubt, the Roman bureaucracy was unfair, but history is littered with all kinds of similar issues. Then again, when Jesus' fans took over, we burned the books and watched the aquaducts fall apart. So, there's no hero in the story.

Spanish people tied a knotted rope around the Incan emperor's neck and twisted it until his head popped off for Jesus. What was his crime?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was looking up TASVideos on Rad Racer 2 because I'd like to potentially beat the game, much as I loathe how the sequel feels compared to the first game due to various changes like far more nasty traffic (the traffic is nasty and isn't spaced out naturally, there's frequent walls where two lanes are blocked by cars side by side so you have to memorize which lane to be in, it's a far more demanding game and doesn't feel at all the same as Rad Racer, Outrun, Outrunners, etc). Even if I'm not terribly interested in TASes, they are often a source of useful meta tricks under the run comments) and noticed there was a run for the first game, yet not the second.

It appears that the decision to publish a run on the frontpage is entirely a cheap, meaningless popularity contest entirely divorced of whether the tool assisted run is technically proficient or not. I've previously complained about this bullshit with the Wizardry 1 NES run where multiple people proclaimed it not being worth publishing despite it being possibly one of the most technically proficient and interesting runs on the site.

There are in fact three submitted Rad Racer 2 runs, all by the same person. The forum post that rejects the fastest of them is especially stupid. Just read the posts from the people voting against it; some of the arguments include claiming it's not worth posting because there's already one for the first game (a totally separate game). Not a single argument against it is based on if it is technically proficient or not. It's purely rejected because it doesn't have enough "entertainment" value. As the runs are hosted on Youtube it's not a matter of eating up web space or bandwidth, and yet despite there not being a published run for the game you have to go hunting under the rejected submissions tab by searching for the game. The judging community there is cliquey and stupid from what I've seen in their judging forums when deciding whether to reject or approve a video, and the submitter basically said fuck it and bailed from the TAS community over it (good for him, screw 'em).

The Youtube channel being used to host the runs on TASVideos (which has the RR2 run hosted on itfor some reason despite it being rejected from the actual TASVideos website?)also has comments disabled, making it impossible to have a localized place to discuss them. Ugh.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

nowadays they publish stuff regardless of entertainment value but stick uninteresting runs in "the vault" http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html

it could be nobody's submitted runs for those games since then

that webnations youtube channel isn't affiliated with tasvideos but i remember they used to publish rejected tasvideos runs on their own site, i had a couple of them on there way back in the day
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

orange808 wrote: Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods.
Yeah well there are people who hold Adolf Hitler in high regard as well XD