Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
WelshMegalodon

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I get where you're coming from, and the best advice I can give you is to take a break from gaming for a while. Say two weeks. You'll feel much better when you come back.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Games should never feel like a chore.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Afaik no internet search engine out there features a 100% random mode.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xyga wrote:Afaik no internet search engine out there features a 100% random mode.
To be fair, tracking the movement of sub atomic particles in real time to select a website would be pretty expensive. :)
We apologise for the inconvenience
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

I'm never listening to Iron Maiden again. Screw big name owners who respond with copyright lawsuits to free advertising in shape of homages.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

CyberAngel wrote:I'm never listening to Iron Maiden again. Screw big name owners who respond with copyright lawsuits to free advertising in shape of homages.
Wait what
drauch

Post by drauch »

Iron Maiden sued 3d Realms for their (just released yesterday; it rules) game, Ion Maiden, so they had to change the name to Ion Fury. It's really shitty, but nothing will stop me from listening to Powerslave.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote:Iron Maiden sued 3d Realms for their (just released yesterday; it rules) game, Ion Maiden, so they had to change the name to Ion Fury. It's really shitty, but nothing will stop me from listening to Powerslave.
Ah okay. Yeah I don't pay them anyway and I also won't stop listening to them.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:permadeath is absolutely not a mechanic that should be in any lengthy RPG/adventure game unless it is 100% optional.
Even that is overreaching. Roguelikes are an entire genre of permadeath adventure RPGs and some are quite long.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Vanguard wrote:Even that is overreaching. Roguelikes are an entire genre of permadeath adventure RPGs and some are quite long.
Yeah, it's a genre that's designed with permadeath specifically in mind so usually that's part of the appeal. Also, there's a number of longer roguelikes such as the classic Nethack that offer a "cheat" mode that allows you to respawn instead of simply dying, which was what I had in mind when I made the comment (you should be playing the game normally but players technically have the option not to).
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

drauch wrote:I get kinda bummed looking at romhacking projects and just seeing infinite Chrono Trigger/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Mario, etc. hacks coming out, then going down to the Translation section and seeing all these people willing to translate games but everyone's working on Chrono Trigger EX 3.7 GOLD.
Final Fantasy VI received yet another fan translation yesterday and I couldn't help but remember this. Gave me a chuckle.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The heroic era of great games translations is in the past, all the work that remains today is pretty hard af stuff that's been WIP for over a decade if not nearly two, like some PS2 or Saturn RPGs.

Same on the side of hacks, after the major bugfix patches, 'mania' modes, and undubs, what pool of popular-enough games is left to attract passionate hackers and translators ?

I'm still waiting for Tales of Rebirth translation and Valkyrie Profile undub lol. Ah, and Princess Crown.

Oh yeah Tengai Makyou Zero was finally completed not long ago, but I woud have prefered 2 which will likely never happen.

Also Karous (DC) and recently Mizzurna Falls (PS1), not bad...
Steamflogger Boss

Xyga wrote:The heroic era of great games translations is in the past, all the work that remains today is pretty hard af stuff that's been WIP for over a decade if not nearly two, like some PS2 or Saturn RPGs.

Same on the side of hacks, after the major bugfix patches, 'mania' modes, and undubs, what pool of popular-enough games is left to attract passionate hackers and translators ?

I'm still waiting for Tales of Rebirth translation and Valkyrie Profile undub lol. Ah, and Princess Crown.

Oh yeah Tengai Makyou Zero was finally completed not long ago, but I woud have prefered 2 which will likely never happen.

Also Karous (DC) and recently Mizzurna Falls (PS1), not bad...
Yeah I mean we have actually seen some decent work done lately. Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.
I prefer subtitles. :P :P :P
Steamflogger Boss

Xyga wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.
I prefer subtitles. :P :P :P
Don't we all... I was assuming there would be subtitles as well. Haven't looked into it in awhile though.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ah, er...you're right I don't know. The dubs project is so big I assume there would be only that choice.

To begin maybe it's a thing because they cannot overlay.

Yeeeeaaaars ago I think I've met a guy sorta involved in the project at a NEC meet (yeah used to be a thing here), all I remember is the face he made when someone brought up the topic. Apparently from the beginning it's been tough stuff.
drauch

Post by drauch »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
drauch wrote:I get kinda bummed looking at romhacking projects and just seeing infinite Chrono Trigger/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Mario, etc. hacks coming out, then going down to the Translation section and seeing all these people willing to translate games but everyone's working on Chrono Trigger EX 3.7 GOLD.
Final Fantasy VI received yet another fan translation yesterday and I couldn't help but remember this. Gave me a chuckle.
:lol:

That Mizzurna Translation got pulled btw, because I guess some guy threw it together before addressing the bugs properly, so it supposedly frequently crashes. Haven't given it a shot myself though.

That Legend of Xanadu one... has there been an update in a while? I remember reading a while back about people lending their voices and the contact just dropped and their site hasn't updated in a while. TBH not really looking forward to an amateur dub; subs would certainly be much more welcome.
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:
:lol:

That Mizzurna Translation got pulled btw, because I guess some guy threw it together before addressing the bugs properly, so it supposedly frequently crashes. Haven't given it a shot myself though.

That Legend of Xanadu one... has there been an update in a while? I remember reading a while back about people lending their voices and the contact just dropped and their site hasn't updated in a while. TBH not really looking forward to an amateur dub; subs would certainly be much more welcome.
I haven't seen any new info on it. My point of contact with them is a forum that is now dead though. Both of the main people involved are super busy so I figured it would be years if ever.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

drauch wrote:That Mizzurna Translation got pulled btw, because I guess some guy threw it together before addressing the bugs properly, so it supposedly frequently crashes. Haven't given it a shot myself though.
Sometimes this happens and then it's never to be seen again. Wouldn't be the first hasty patch to die shortly after release.

EDIT: yeah just read the story: it's dead. :?
EWIT: maybe not, anyway i've grabbed the unfinished one in case, apparently with an emulator and regular saves it's okay.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Just sharted at work :(
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

drauch wrote:Just sharted at work :(
lmfao
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

mycophobia wrote:
drauch wrote:Just sharted at work :(
lmfao
That shit ain't funny.
Well, just a bit.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Xyga wrote:I'm still waiting for Tales of Rebirth translation
The Japanese ones for the PS2 desperately need translations. Thankfully there are some good translation guides to make them playable, though last time I played Rebirth mine was missing some info on post-game content sadly. The guides out there are playable, but they're such good entries in the series that it's a damn shame we haven't had an official English release or a fanpatch, or even a subtitles only official release (to save money on voice acting).

Also it seems that some of the Tales of PS2 games crash when emulating them at random in cutscenes, so it's harder to showcase them when streaming unless you actually use the original hardware with a capture device that can stream live.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I almost always burn and play on the actual consoles, but anyway, if Rebirth translation comes out it'll be the PSP version first, while PS2 isn't certain at all, so it's PPSSPP compatibility that will matter.

Still, even for that PSP version we're probably talking about several more years...
Steamflogger Boss

As someone who has played through games way back in the day with printed off translation guides stapled together... It's a huge pain in the ass. Actual translations are such a more pleasant and natural experience.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I've been using Wacom drawing tablets since college and I really like how they feel and how responsive they are. I like them on a hardware level. But it is pretty fucking shocking how SHITTY their drivers are... It's beyond baffling, I have no words

I had no problems in the Win XP days but since using mine in Win 7 I had to constantly jump through hoops to get it working properly. I'd start a drawing and then realize that the pressure sensitivity was not working... (*sigh*). Then I would look online and see a SEA of comments on forums about people also having this problem.

So I'd have to try all combinations of the following tricks (and I mean ALL combinations. considering the number of parameters present here... that's a LOT of fucking combinations to try) : install earlier driver(tried several ones), restart PC but hold F8 at boot and enable "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", run Services.exe and restart "Wacom service", run Tablet Setup utility AS ADMIN, run Tablet Preferences utility and erase said preferences, unplug and plug the tablet at different stages of the process...

And I'm writing in the conditional tense here but srew that, because I'm STILL having these issues in 2019. so it should be in the present tense, really. I have it working right now but I can say that getting this thing set up is pure Voodoo, there's no rhyme or reason to it you just gotta try stuff and pray... so damn frustrating(was legit pulling my hair here). I paid this $150 at the time, I don't want to buy a new tablet when I have a "functionning" one.

How good is hardware when drivers are as crummy as this -_-
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Friends (well, acquaintances) who read superhero comics well in their '40s and take them seriously. They tend to come in the "white, anglo-saxon, bald, obese" variant. It is hard not to discriminate certain types of minorities when they cite "Spidey" as a moral compass and cultural inspiration.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

People who ass-blast the toilet bowl.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Steamflogger Boss

Specineff wrote:People who ass-blast the toilet bowl.
So, fat people?

If you go into a public bathroom enough times you will some nasty stuff. One of the worst would have to be when a toilet is filled with shit and no toilet paper...
drauch

Post by drauch »

This janitor I used to work with had it the worst. I one time asked him what the nastiest thing he ever saw was in his career as a janitor. He thought for a second, then said someone miscarried in a toilet and all over the floor. Nothing will beat that.