Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
orange808

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by orange808 »

Blaming mass shootings on video games.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

orange808 wrote:Blaming mass shootings on video games.
Is this a thing being done again?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Had some work open in Windows 10 on my laptop, was starting to run low on battery and had to go out, so just pressed the power button for hibernation. Came back and pressed the power button - LOL, Windows decided it had wanted to do a proper power off instead or some shit. My work wasn't lost, because I had saved it, but why can you no longer trust a Windows computer to hibernate? The fans went quiet, so it must've powered back on after I left. Sneaky fucking Microsoft.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Given how many people still have the unresolved issue of their laptops not being able to wake back up after Sleep / Hibernation, I'm surprised they even still have the feature :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

All these green incentives to save the world when 60000 additional people are born every single day (including those who died).

I really don't see the point in our actions if we do not drop the population.

The other day I saw a train in India stuck in a flood. According to the BBC news 9 pregnant women were on the train. 9 :shock:

What kind of life are those 9 people going to have?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

IIRC U.N estimates are that we should peak at 10~12 billion around the end of the century, but they don't tell what they think comes next, though it's easy to guess.
Global population will probably decrease as quickly as it increased (likely bc of mass shortages of vital necessities like food/water, medicine etc) it's impossible to predict down to how many, back to 1bn like before the end-19thC/20th explosion? who knows. Anyway the Earth ecosystem self-regulates and it doesn't wait for our consent, it does the necessary even if the price is a minimal biosphere with poor life diversity for an entire geological period.

Or not, because all this time we were actually livestock for an alien species company that'll collect us to fulfill an order. :twisted:
(just imagine if we end up low grade burger meat, that would be humiliating)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Steamflogger Boss

Glad I won't be around to see it. Depressing af tho.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's fine, we'll run out of working antibiotics soon and that'll sort it.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Who the bloody hell thinks that MM/DD/YYYY is a good date format? Why would the month be more important that the day to you? It just makes zero sense overall.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Going in "size order" from day to month to year makes more "mathematical" sense, but I always figured the other way caught on because it most closely matches how we tend to say dates out loud, i.e. most folks say "August sixth", not "the sixth of August", though that's just a guess.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Probably, and my native language always saying day first is probably a factor too, but I'm perfectly okay with it when month is written in letters (three-letter shorthands like AUG are convenient in this case). But when you use only numbers AND include the year... sorry, there's just no excuse for breaking the ascending (or descending) order.

Then again, stuff like this mostly comes from the cultures that still can't let go of non-decimal weight and length units so...
ryu

Post by ryu »

Of the many forums I've been active on this one is now pretty much the last one breathing :?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steamflogger Boss

ryu wrote:Of the many forums I've been active on this one is now pretty much the last one breathing :?
I too have witnessed many heat deaths. :(
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, definitely much quieter in just the past couple of years. I used to refresh this bad boy at work daily and have tons of updates. Now I don't visit on the weekends and only see a few thread updates of interest come Monday.

I really love forum layouts; I can't stand reddit's hot mess, but I'm also a troglodyte and don't try to learn.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

reddit is very hard to read and structured dumbly. same goes for pretty much any modern social media thing. old school forums ftw

e: post 444 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URkBbDsF9o
Last edited by mycophobia on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Shmups that don't move you slower when you move diagonally along the edge of the screen. I never realized how much I appreciated this for allowing you to fine tune your left/right dodging speed in a vertical shmup by moving diagonal down to move slower than left/right against an attack you were dodging at the bottom of the screen until I was playing one that didn't have this as a thing and realized I missed it.

I can't think of what game I was playing that didn't have this though now. It's done in pretty much every CAVE, Raizing, Takumi, and Psikyo game from what I remember, but for the life of me I can't remember what game I was playing that annoyed me by not having this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ryu wrote:Of the many forums I've been active on this one is now pretty much the last one breathing :?
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I too have witnessed many heat deaths. :(
drauch wrote:Yeah, definitely much quieter in just the past couple of years. I used to refresh this bad boy at work daily and have tons of updates. Now I don't visit on the weekends and only see a few thread updates of interest come Monday.

I really love forum layouts; I can't stand reddit's hot mess, but I'm also a troglodyte and don't try to learn.
Some happy news - I was heartbroken to see Bladesaw Babe's forum was gone. :sad: Then I realised it'd only moved! Image
daminmancejin wrote:oh yea her boots are gone for sure
edit: man, all the noob posts by me and others calling Hayate "Joe." We were all so young! At least we didn't call him Yamato, that'd be really embarrassing! :shock:
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote:Yeah, definitely much quieter in just the past couple of years. I used to refresh this bad boy at work daily and have tons of updates. Now I don't visit on the weekends and only see a few thread updates of interest come Monday.

Troglodytes unite.
mycophobia wrote:reddit is very hard to read and structured dumbly. same goes for pretty much any modern social media thing. old school forums ftw

e: post 444 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URkBbDsF9o
Yuppp
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Put me in the camp who likes old-ass forum layouts. I much preffer that, plus there's a bunch of swell people in here

Reddit's structure is weird, but even more of a problem is that it's a site frequented by just about everyone, when it all comes down to it. Which means douches and basic-bitches galore(Reddit frontpage is disguzting). And even though you're deep down in that niche subreddit : the vibe of a mainstream/basic people-frequented site, still seeps through. You never feel completely invested in it, because it's not specialized in your thing, and dabbles in pretty much everything

Here though I truly feel comfortable being the Troglodyte that I am! (man, isn't my cave dope? Sure, it's a little dank in here, but it's still cozy af!)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ryu

Post by ryu »

mycophobia wrote:e: post 444 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URkBbDsF9o
fantastic album. thanks for posting this

I only used Reddit when I had a job because of its tame content. But even there the subreddits I had subscribed to weren't very active. No need to say the concept of the site is awful. No sense of community whatsoever.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It's because of our great dodging skills.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Or shameless credit feeding. :P
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

I really like the slower pace and organization of forums.

1. I chat on IRC quite a bit but beyond some logs in your client-it's all lost to time.
2. There is new kid shit like Discord and it's like IRC with pictures, again no organization history and it's lost to time.
3. Forums like this are great for people making games to get feedback. F**K Github for not doing a better job of creating community around projects.
(And by the way, help the poor bastards trying to please you all in the development section. They get ignored too much.)

In some way, I like the anticipation of people replying to posts. It's like waiting for mail from a girl you like.
Time sweetens the message.

And it's fun to look 5 years back and see how you've changed as a person, or, maybe you've not.
There are a lot of interesting characters *cough* *shoesama* *cough* to review too. :twisted:

Plus, you can always revisit posts originally created by the Old Ones and catch a bit of Zeitgeist.
Some of those Xenocide files on the main site have some rad delivery style. 8)
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
ryu

Post by ryu »

(And by the way, help the poor bastards trying to please you all in the development section. They get ignored too much.)
That section is heavily undermoderated. Like 80% of threads are non-users coming here to advertise their games. I used to frequent it more it when it was rather about members from the community making games and discussing gamedev.
Steamflogger Boss

I'll be honest I am just not interested in that section.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ryu wrote:Like 80% of threads are non-users coming here to advertise their games. I used to frequent it more it when it was rather about members from the community making games and discussing gamedev.
Very, very much this.
FinalBaton wrote:Put me in the camp who likes old-ass forum layouts. I much preffer that, plus there's a bunch of swell people in here
This is one of two sites I post on that hasn't gone and completely ass-fucking-ruined their layout, largely by virtue of just not changing anything.
A lot of oldschool phpBB-style forums are updating to some shit with the absolute worst garbage -- of particular note is that ctrl+f brings up the internal forum search when all I want is to look through posts on the page. I don't know what the forum software is called, but it's shit. It looks like shit, it feels like shit.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I lost interest in the dev forum when it seemed that most of the games being discussed were only available on phones or DRM-infested online stores. Or when there was a post about a PC game, the link would go to some utterly terrible file hosting service that has to load 174 ads and mine $500,000 in bitcoin in my browser before I can sift through 53 fake DOWNLOAD! links to find the one that starts the 20-minute timer that maybe causes part of a file to download.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I can't seem to get over wanting to play everything with permadeath rules applied nowadays. Once I got really heavily into arcade games, going back to platformers and RPGs and just kind of dying dozens of times through them kinda felt like credit feeding them, as if I never really bothered to learn them. Sure, I get to see the ending, but if I died a few hundred times to get there it now... I dunno, it feels like a hollow victory.

If there's something like finite lives in a platformer then a restart would be on a full gameover. In an RPG a full party wipe would be a restart, and in something like a multiplayer game where players can revive each other same thing for a full wipe. If it's an online game though, stupid stuff like lag/disconnects causing a dead character obviously wouldn't count, outside of the player control due to technical reasons.

The annoying thing is now it feels like I've ruined myself with being obsessed with clearing everything from start to finish without a gameover. Some stuff I can't even get through a first playthrough of an average jRPG without feeling the compulsion to restart fresh if I get a gameover, which means I end up drowning in a backlog of games (which usually involve multiple playthroughs) for a long time. If I do say screw it and just play it through for the story, it still... I dunno, I feel dirty as if I've credit fed a shmup and called it a victory. I realize it's a ridiculous thing to obsess over in a videogame. Currently trying to get over using continues and just be able to "casually" enjoy a game without worrying about success or failure, someone gifted me Sekiro and it sorta helps that dying/revival is technically a mechanic in the story.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I can't seem to get over wanting to play everything with permadeath rules applied nowadays. Once I got really heavily into arcade games, going back to platformers and RPGs and just kind of dying dozens of times through them kinda felt like credit feeding them, as if I never really bothered to learn them. Sure, I get to see the ending, but if I died a few hundred times to get there it now... I dunno, it feels like a hollow victory.
I get that too. If a game isn't made for that type of play and can't be wrangled into it, I probably won't play it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

And yeah, there's lots of good lengthy story-based games out there which are absolutely not meant to be played that way, and permadeath is absolutely not a mechanic that should be in any lengthy RPG/adventure game unless it is 100% optional. Unless you have explicitly designed the game to be played in short bursts, permadeath amounts to gamer masochism, and games should be fun to a widespread audience, which permadeath simply isn't.

Not every game with permadeath is hard mind you; there's some RPGs like Wizardry where characters can easily die at random due to a critical hit beheading them, offering the risk of permadeath (though depending on the version you can use save file reloading abuse to avoid this) or Starcrawlers where there are no instadeath effects and losing characters generally only happens if you've badly messed up and forgot to heal, purchase supplies, etc. But it should never be forced on players and I completely recognize it can be outright stupid to choose to play it on a game where dying is as easy as one failed QTE sequence or enemies kill in only a handful of hits.

But I still feel an OCD urge to beat everything I play without continuing, even console stuff, which makes it really time-consuming and difficult to actually see the entire game... I want to, I dunno, go back to being able to play games half-assed like I did when I was a kid and not care about how often I gameovered. It feels deeply unsatisfying now playing and constantly using continues if I'm playing poorly, like the fun is sucked out of the rest of the run, and I'm aware of how illogical and silly it is to feel this way like I have to masochistically punish myself by deleting a save file on a death. I should be able to make a mistake and keep enjoying the rest of the game without feeling like a ball an chain's on my leg. It's worse when the game has like uber-hard modes where I'm just good enough to clear Normal reliably but then get determined to try and deathless clear the hardest mode when I know just clearing it alone is an absurd challenge.