Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
garrz32

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by garrz32 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:eBay constantly "helping us" sell our shit by automatically turning on the "best offer" feature.

I just love it when people waste my time with bullshit low ball offers.

If I was desperate for money and wanted to sell it below the maximum value, I'd use the auction format.
Oh that's my pet hate, some people just take the piss.
orange808 wrote:I once had someone message me with some pretty nasty shit after their first 5 lowball offers were declined. I sent a reasonable counter at one point. I ended up blocking them and they made an alternate account to send me more nasty messages...
hahaha that's trolling on whole new level
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

When you've been using the same mobile for years bc you don't care about the latest fancy stuff.
...but the battery is living its last charges, and you realize only now that it's not removable/replaceable.
So you basically have to buy a new f* phone right at a time you're f* broke but absolutely need one for work anyway. :x
Will pay attention to that not-so-little detail this time. Grr.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

I’d recommend the LG G5 for your mobile needs, I upgraded to the G6 but I’ve still got mine as a gig/night out hone and it does day to day stuff at a decent speed The battery pulls straight out from the bottom, no need to mess around taking the back off. They go pretty cheap these days as well.
Anyhow, dug out the old crystal brick last night so I could re-start Silent Hill 2. Was astonished to find that the only input for the XB on the other half’s super-duper 65” 4K HDR TV is composite, no component, so it looks like dog shit. Then I remembered what a half-arsed attempt the joypad is – dpad isn’t too bad, but the face buttons are awful. I’d pay a decent price for a legacy Xbox that just worked with everything from XB-X360-XO and didn’t look like crap on a modern TV. I’m going to have to cave and find room for a CRT. I did a quick search and noticed that you can actually can an HDMI cable for it these days – anyone ever used one?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Fat women who go out drinking every weekend and then cry about how much they hate their bodies. Like... you're never going to stop being fat if you let your friends drag you to bars all the goddamn time.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
null1024

Post by null1024 »

People who go in the passing lane and sit next to a car in the other lane can just fuck right off.
Xyga wrote:When you've been using the same mobile for years bc you don't care about the latest fancy stuff.
...but the battery is living its last charges, and you realize only now that it's not removable/replaceable.
So you basically have to buy a new f* phone right at a time you're f* broke but absolutely need one for work anyway. :x
yeah, this non-removable battery shit kinda pisses me off
I miss my Galaxy S3 sometimes. It was the last damn phone I've had with both expandable storage and a removable battery. Even bought a second battery for it, so I'd just swap when I got home, the other would be on a battery charger.

nowadays, I carry a powerbank -- not nearly as good, but it works
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

null1024 wrote:
Xyga wrote:When you've been using the same mobile for years bc you don't care about the latest fancy stuff.
I miss my Galaxy S3 sometimes. It was the last damn phone I've had with both expandable storage and a removable battery. Even bought a second battery for it, so I'd just swap when I got home, the other would be on a battery charger.
Fuck. I ran a Galaxy S3 up until about 4 months ago. Always relied on the swapable battery feature. Finally had to "upgrade", got the Samsung J7 Refine. It exhibits all of the same glitches and downfalls as the 6 year old Galaxy S3. Nothing runs better on the new phone, and now it is even more bloated with bullshit and constantly pushing shit software and advertisements on me.

Related pet peeve: all the stores (I went to 4) had the 16GB J7 Refine on display and advertised at $250. When I tried to buy it, they were like nope, we only have the 32 GB model for $300.
Had to buy the 32GB model even though I have no use that. The thing has expandable memory, why do I need 32 GB internal for $50 more?

Unrelated to phones, know what I can't stand? People who say "No yeah" as an affirmative. Or the inverse "Yes, no." when they just mean "No."
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Koa Zo wrote:
null1024 wrote:
Fuck. I ran a Galaxy S3 up until about 4 months ago. Always relied on the swapable battery feature. Finally had to "upgrade", got the Samsung J7 Refine. It exhibits all of the same glitches and downfalls as the 6 year old Galaxy S3. Nothing runs better on the new phone, and now it is even more bloated with bullshit and constantly pushing shit software and advertisements on me.
Yeah I'm totally unattracted to the so-called crazy specs of smartphones when after all these years whichever model i've tried (only androids tho) still can't manage more than two-three email accounts smoothly, disconnect from data networks after a while when you're not using them, keyboard's still too small and tricky if you don't have a huge screen, hard to read in broad daylight and the battery depletes too f* fast if you raise the brightness to compensate, and many have shitty GPS reception too.
Won't even mention browsing the internet, I don't do that much anyway, it's just too small for that period.

In short they're not so good at the basics, which is too bad since it's practically all i'm interested in.

For one I'm in the camp of those who think foldable screens (turn into a small tablet) will be a massive progess, the device remains as portable as before when folded, and becomes much more useable unfolded, much more comfortable for typing/reading/browsing.
With foldables no need to go for a ridiculous 'phablet' bigger than your hand.

Mini-periscope optical zooms if they develop well over time, will also be good progress, that upcoming 10x from Oppo will probably suck but it's a nice step forward.
The camera side of smartphones is probably the only other useful function besides communication, assuming they become decent, and i'm in the camp of people who like a zoom in their compact/pocket camera.

I like when the hardware actually improves with real innovations, don't care about how much cores or ram they carry nor how thin the borders are or if the resolution is 4K, if that doesn't make a difference in practice.
I mean smartphones as they are - simple palm sized screen with everything flattened and stuffed behind in a limited/closed monolithic design - can't fully replace dedicated devices, so of course the hardware has to evolve physically.
Meh, the walkman era was more fun.

So I haven't looked for a new phone seriously yet but it'll certainly be low end. Just browsed a few reviews around and they're all so annoying, like entire pages dedicated to the damn screen, camera, performance in games etc. I've read several that didn't make clear if the battery is removable or not! and apparently the quality of reception of the various networks isn't much of a concern to the reviewers. Are they reviewing atual tech devices or are smartphones some sort of fetish ? :?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Fat women who go out drinking every weekend and then cry about how much they hate their bodies. Like... you're never going to stop being fat if you let your friends drag you to bars all the goddamn time.
It's much harder to put in the effort to lose weight when you could fill the void of depression with more alcohol ! It's not even the booze that gets people for weight gain, it's all the late night snacking afterwards along with the doing fuck all the entire next day.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
guigui

Post by guigui »

When that great Subnautica game suddenly decides to spawn you in a room with no way to get out. Game Over, have to restart from the beginning.

Great game, no kidding, though.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Xyga wrote: So I haven't looked for a new phone seriously yet but it'll certainly be low end. Just browsed a few reviews around and they're all so annoying, like entire pages dedicated to the damn screen, camera, performance in games etc. I've read several that didn't make clear if the battery is removable or not! and apparently the quality of reception of the various networks isn't much of a concern to the reviewers. Are they reviewing atual tech devices or are smartphones some sort of fetish ? :?
If the battery isn't outright mentioned as removable at this point... it isn't. Shit fucking blows.

For most random people, the screen, camera, and game performance are the most important things -- the screen should be nice since they're going to stare at it all day, the camera should be nice because smartphones have all but entirely replaced standalone consumer digital cameras, and game performance matters since that's probably what's going to be running on the phone most of the time.
Hell, connection quality doesn't matter so much, not when people are often just going to use WhatsApp over wifi anyway.

reviews in general suck though
I've given up on trusting paid reviewers for anything whatsoever. They don't have the time to examine a product, nor do they actually care, and that's long before we get into the whole "we're kinda sorta getting sponsored by the company so we can't review this item badly" thing.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Sharted super hard at work and had to go home and change since it bled through and got on my pants. What a shitty day.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Lol gahhht damn. What did you eat last night?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Cashew chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, and a protein shake. So I partially had it coming. I accept these things.
Steamflogger Boss

Oh definitely. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

This actually reminds me of another (albeit considerably milder) one I've been meaning to add: when you're alone at work all day, barely seeing another soul until the moment you need to pass gas, and all of a sudden you're completely and perpetually surrounded.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

drauch wrote:Sharted super hard at work and had to go home and change since it bled through and got on my pants. What a shitty day.
Yeah. Why don't you tell them about the prolapse, fatty?
This fucker had to kneel across the back seat of a cab, all the way home.

By year's end, he is going to have the ring of a red-arsed Baboon.

Your life is already over. You know it, I know it and the farm knows it.
For the love of God, will you not do the decent thing, once and for all?!
drauch

Post by drauch »

That would only please myself too much, and I'm all about having the worst possible time ever.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

religion man.. islam in this case.
cut a bit off my child's dick and he looked like stallone!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

BulletMagnet wrote:This actually reminds me of another (albeit considerably milder) one I've been meaning to add: when you're alone at work all day, barely seeing another soul until the moment you need to pass gas, and all of a sudden you're completely and perpetually surrounded.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
namcokid47

Post by namcokid47 »

I get real irritated when people call a game "an X clone" or an "X ripoff" when the game they're calling a clone came out before it.

Seriously, it drives me nuts.
"I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi." - Darius II
Marc

Post by Marc »

The price / scarcity of video game vinyl in general.
I passed on the OutRun one at the time, because I was a bit lean and convinced myself I didn't need it / wouldn't play it etc.
Now I'm sort of OK again, and the record costs a goddamn fortune. Even though one Soundtrack I did pick up (CVIV) seems to have doubled in price (at least going off Discogs).
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

/me goes to HG101 like a fool, looks at Ghost In The Shell (PS1) 'review'

literally 10 paragraphs about the entire history of shirow & character profiles
still going strong on para 11: "The franchise overall is huge." this review is where the phrase 'definite article' goes to die
para 14: oh, we might be getting close to some thoughts on the game?
(four paragraphs of assorted production history minutiae & anime fan gushing later)

"If you ask around, however, those who’ve played it will attest both to its quality and the fact that it has aged better than the majority of 3D games on 32-bit hardware." who's writing the review, John?

next graf has the SHOCKING gameplay revelation, along with some sections of bold text & Drudge Report style flashing red lights.

"It’s basically an arcade-style shooter with fairly simple controls: you move, jump, strafe, and launch power bombs (holding up to a maximum of three), plus fire machineguns by tapping shoot, or holding shoot to charge up to six lock-on missiles which are infinite in supply. All very conventional. What makes it unlike anything else is that you can walk on any flat surface, at any time, for as long as you like." [...] "think back to 1997 – how many other games allowed it? And those that did, was it all the time, or only as a temporary gimmick? Toy Commander for the Dreamcast, released years afterwards, allowed you to roam around the walls of a house, but only in certain vehicles and only when ramps permitted it. Looking at the TV Tropes page on the subject, few games utilise such an idea, and when they do it’s often in a limited capacity so as not to “break” the game. GitS in contrast is built specifically around the ability to walk on any surface, during all but two missions, with the level design reflecting this in intelligent ways."

I would have gone with Aliens vs. Predator's Alien mode released just the next year, myself. I also probably wouldn't have mentioned that I was researching an article for HG101 on TV Tropes.

next paragraph: here's some gripping reasons why GitS is not Jumping Flash or Descent. They aren't, because they are different in basic ways.
next paragraph: detailed breakdown of which stages are indoors and which are outdoors
7 more paragraphs that I can't adequately characterize due to extreme dullness
next: Merchandise section with gigantic picture of an obscure VHS tape case, which is in a superposition of being "the most interesting thing ever posted on hg101" and "the most hg101 thing ever posted"

Overall, I rank this review at 55.5 out of 5 Survivalists Preppers DIY Faraday Cage Kits. For the price, it is an expensive way to secure your computer from brain waves & ions, and the shiny material used flexes & (probably) tears easily, giving the impression it isn't high quality. But the price ($149) & uniform metallic color of the plastic material put my doubts to rest.

edit: on second thought this probably should have been in that reviews thread, hi everybody
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I randomly played some video with Ryan Reynolds that popped up on my Facebook feed, out of boredom.

And apparently Facebook now thinks I'm absolutely crazy about Ryan Reynolds and won't stop giving me videos about him.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

allergies
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

People (particularly my in-laws) buying alkalines and heavy duty batteries when rechargeables are cheaper in the long run and can be recycled with greater ease, which means less pollution.
Last edited by Specineff on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Sumez wrote:I randomly played some video with Ryan Reynolds that popped up on my Facebook feed, out of boredom.

And apparently Facebook now thinks I'm absolutely crazy about Ryan Reynolds and won't stop giving me videos about him.
yeah, algorithms have exactly 0 chill when they aren't just throwing the most absolute random nonsense at you
its to the point that whenever I go to watch a video outside my usual, or clicking a YT link without really knowing what it is, I feel tempted to do it in a private tab or a different browser altogether just to avoid this nonsense
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Holy crap. ebay's listing interface is utterly terrible these days. I want to sell something. I get dumped on some page with a search box. WTF is this? No explanation whatsoever. Try an alternate route, get dumped on that same page again. Fine, I'll enter some shit. Now I've made it to the real listing page, except it's full of random selections and wrong info. I have to go through and correct it, but at the same time I'm doing that the settings are changing on their own! I even have to enter the same info multiple times because it reverted. How do I change the category? Oh, I can't. W. T. F.

I listed four items. They were all the same thing, but the listing page came up with different options barfed all over it each time. Different shipping method. Some box under the "details" heading is marked "required" one time, and the next time is missing entirely.

At least now I'll know not to rely too much on the categories when searching for something, if the category is ultimately determined by ebay's random number generator.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wild guess, this complicated setup is introduced to help categorize their products, making it easier for buyers to search for them?
Steamflogger Boss

ED-057 wrote:Holy crap. ebay's listing interface is utterly terrible these days. I want to sell something. I get dumped on some page with a search box. WTF is this? No explanation whatsoever. Try an alternate route, get dumped on that same page again. Fine, I'll enter some shit. Now I've made it to the real listing page, except it's full of random selections and wrong info. I have to go through and correct it, but at the same time I'm doing that the settings are changing on their own! I even have to enter the same info multiple times because it reverted. How do I change the category? Oh, I can't. W. T. F.

I listed four items. They were all the same thing, but the listing page came up with different options barfed all over it each time. Different shipping method. Some box under the "details" heading is marked "required" one time, and the next time is missing entirely.

At least now I'll know not to rely too much on the categories when searching for something, if the category is ultimately determined by ebay's random number generator.
Yepppppp. It used to be they had a pretty good catalog and you could enter the item UPC and it would come right up. Nowadays who really knows what will happen.
Sumez wrote:Wild guess, this complicated setup is introduced to help categorize their products, making it easier for buyers to search for them?
Eh, people still fudge listings all the time. For example you can't do "New (Other)" condition for video games so people list video games in other categories to get around this. I think collectibles is the main one. These listings also pop right up when you search typically. When I am looking to buy something unless it's a really common search term I never select a category to search in, because I know I'll miss some listings.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Disk failure.
I've probably posted complaining about it in this very thread, but it still just fucking sucks. The main SSD just started locking up outta nowhere and not showing up to boot.

I had backed up most of the important stuff, so now I've just gotta wait for the new disk to arrive.
The more annoying thing is that I'm on a MacBook Air, and all the recent, aftermarket disks available for the thing want you to be on a recent macOS [because it adds support for the disk protocol being used] -- wouldn't be an issue, except I'm on a machine without any disk in it. Internet Recovery supposedly won't work [won't actually know until I can install the disk], since it's going to pull in a fairly old release of macOS [it pulls 10.10 on my machine, IIRC the disk said it would need 10.13 or higher to work].

In the mean time, I'm running Linux off a USB drive.
Yaaaaaaay.
It's not actually that bad, except I can't get LiveUSB persistence to work for the life of me, so I'm just copying packages and files to another USB stick [because apparently no one actually bothered looking into it for GPT+UEFI machines instead of ones that use MBR and BIOS].
Again, it works, but I only have 2 USB ports, and if I have to turn the machine off, I'll have to reinstall whatever utilities and reconfigure all sorts of settings and the lot when it comes back up. For example, I've reinstalled Chromium like 4 times today. Takes like ten seconds each time, at least.