Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Just download Hentai like real men ffs.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

When people beg for a new release in a series that they haven't even finished all the existing releases in.

Seen recently with salivation over a new Armored Core by those who admit to having played, like, two. Of fifteen.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
kitten

Post by kitten »

^ imho in armored core's case this is actually pretty justified (i say this having played most of them). most of the expansions are notably worse or insubstantial compared to their base game and there's a lot of reason to not want to play 4 & 5 at all if you were specifically a big fan of like anything before that because they're quite different.

e.g. if someone had only played 1 & 2 and wanted a new armored core "kind of like the old ones," i'd think that was fine, and for many that's about the case. the base 1 & 2 are still my favorites despite all the many expansions and there hasn't been a game exactly like those in quite a while. the base 3 kinda sucks and none of the expansions totally fix what is wrong with it - it never hits the excellent atmosphere, pacing beats, and structure of the very first game again, and it never hits the parts balance of 2 again (one again making lightweights extremely-the-fuck-better-than heavy cores).

daemon x machina is pretty slick, though! basically the new core game. hits somewhere between old-style and 4 with a few unnecessarily cumbersome things added on (looting system, anime stuff, etc.), frankly a pretty dang good game.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

kitten wrote:^ imho in armored core's case this is actually pretty justified (i say this having played most of them). most of the expansions are notably worse or insubstantial compared to their base game and there's a lot of reason to not want to play 4 & 5 at all if you were specifically a big fan of like anything before that because they're quite different.
I concur with this. Project Phantasma felt incredibly unsatisfying after playing the first AC, as an example.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I very much agree about Project Phantasma being insubstantial after the awesome AC1, but there are still more than a few installments worth looking into. Depending on how generous the criteria are, I might name Master of Arena, Another Age, AC3, Silent Line, Last Raven, and For Answer.

AC2 is something I'd put near the bottom of the pile with Nine Breaker, though of course I won't blast anyone for liking it. From clearly didn't have a handle on PS2 development at the time they pushed it out, and so we have a sloooow game, with small stages, extreme aliasing, pad-only controls, and severe bugs. I've had sound glitches on multiple occasions and even fallen through the bottom of the map into oblivion.

The one thing that makes AC2 stick out within the series is the Martian revolution theme, but a much better mech game using that was released the prior year: Starsiege.

Good to hear praise for DxM, in any event, I haven't played that yet.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Walked past the television while the family was watching Stranger Things. There's a CD Tradepost store! What year is it supposed to be, again?

Yeah. That shit didn't exist, then.

Got it wrong. There weren't any used CD stores.

Also, why produce content in that f*cked up aspect ratio when Netflix knows they are targeting 16:9 screens?

Apparently, no attention to detail and obtuse letterboxing (for the sake of letterboxing!) is "cool". :)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Belt scrollers where your life drains when you use a special move.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Repairing a coffee machine.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Leader Bee wrote:Belt scrollers where your life drains when you use a special move.
I'm by no means an expert on beat-em-ups, but off the cuff I'd imagine the list of them that don't do that in some form is considerably shorter than those that do...or perhaps someone better-versed in the genre could correct me?

While I'm passing through, let me add being informed by postal tracking that your incoming package has been delivered...but it's not here. This is gonna be a fun way to spend my lunch break tomorrow...
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Leader Bee wrote:Belt scrollers where your life drains when you use a special move.
I'm by no means an expert on beat-em-ups, but off the cuff I'd imagine the list of them that don't do that in some form is considerably shorter than those that do...or perhaps someone better-versed in the genre could correct me?
Indeed, otherwise the games wouldn't be much fun seeing how special attacks are usually not only powerful but also take precedence over enemy attacks (which is the reason they are also called desperation moves, I would guess). Some games do allow limited usage of them without costing health (such as Bare Knuckle 3, if I'm not mistaken, where you have a free use when the power bar is full) or only allow them when some condition has been met (such as Rushing Beat, where you get one for every ten enemies defeated).
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

I much preffered the style of being able to call in the cops in streets of rage 1 than the desperation attacks they introduced later and even collecting the magic bottles in golden axe to a life draining move
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

The biggest problem with single use specials like BK1's is that once you've used them you're defenseless, whereas with health draining specials you at least have the chance to get out of nasty situations. And health pickups have a double duty of providing HP and allowing more specials to be used, whereas single use specials are usually in short supply.
I think some of the games that include a health draining special would be considerably more difficult should they have one-time specials instead (eg. Final Fight).

The no-special stage 7 of Bare Knuckle is great, though.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Streets of Rage Remake allows the best of both worlds; you get a bomb that works in most open areas (with a few characters who break the rules and use them anywhere) as well as a recharging special meter. It uses the Japanese health settings though, where using a special at minimum meter often costs more than simply eating a hit. Personally, I think the best would be a special meter that used a health penalty somewhere in between Streets of Rage 3's spam encouragement penalty and Bare Knuckle III's massive penalty for using the meter unless you let it recharge at least halfway.

I believe the Sengoku games on Neo-Geo also have specials that recharge over time (in addition to a health draining desperation attack).

Games that only had a "bomb" style special were kinda dull honestly. Streets of Rage 1 is almost nothing but repeatedly poking the enemies with jabs, Golden Axe has a pretty bare-bones movelist too. Games like later Capcom beat em ups with a more expanded special move list, the later Streets of Rage games where you had a blitz as well as offensive and defensive specials... those were all a lot better honestly. I used to hate games where you had to steal from your health stock to use special moves, but honestly the amount drained in SoR2 is pretty minimal for instance, and in a lot of games it costs no health to use a defensive move unless it hits something, so it can be used for dodging projectiles at no cost.
kitten

Post by kitten »

^ yeah i particularly like when a desperation move only drains health on actual contact, meaning it has a second fuction as an i-frame dodge.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

People with god-awful hygiene, I'm talking clearly didn't brush their teeth or bathe that morning. Had to sit a roundtable full of them 9 to 5 today, wanted to heave.

TALKATIVE AF TOO. >_< Nod, smile, scream internally :shock:

I know it's nothing compared to the utter workplace horrors drauch alone has posted ITT, but god fucking damn. Some people don't make the slightest effort. IT ALWAYS COUNTS YOU ANIMALISTIC FUCKS, SOMEONE'S GONNA HAVE TO SMELL YOU FFS

BRUSH YOUR TEETH AND WIPE YOUR FUCKIN ASS
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That the Switch has a maximum screenshot storage capacity of 100.
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:That the Switch has a maximum screenshot storage capacity of 100.
lololololol

Just fuckin why Nintendo...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:Game reviews partitioned into segments like "graphics", "gameplay", "replayability", etc. It consistently distracts the writer from keeping a focus on the things most relevant in the context of the game, and often makes it really difficult to gauge what their tastes are really like.
You asked if GameFAQs reviews always seem to do this because it's encouraged. It's not; there's several more verbose user reviews written that don't segment the review into specific chunks. I think a lot of reviews split things up that way though because it's what they were used to seeing in mainstream media reviews with separate ratings for each, and it became the popular style to format reviews in. I agree it's actually not a great way of formatting reviews for natural readability.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

People who don't know me always commenting "You're still alive!" after me uploading the first video on YT in some amount of time. :lol:

I realize that's internet speak for "Oh, nice! You uploaded a video which I did not expect.", and that's nice and all. But still.

Somebody make a meme of it. p:
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Spending half the day repeatedly trying to login to my bank's website with every computer and every OS and every internet connection and every non-Chrome browser and every spoofed user agent at my disposal, because the dicks decided to start silently closing connections from any user agent other than their secret love. (I did finally get in!)

Fuck web developers and fuck Chrome. I will never use it and they can't make me.

Actually, fuck user agent strings too, they are a pointless thing that never should have existed and could only lead to rampant abuse.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

orange808 wrote:Troll moderators on lame shitty zombie "game sites" that no real gamers read. aka: nintendolife.com.

Here's an asshat attacking the guy that hacked Duck Hunt to work with LCD screens.
"Not only are you advertising your project, you're actually advertising a ROM file... please advertis your rom hacks in some other site that cares."
Ohs noes! A ROM! ;)

Comedy gold!

Gosh, where else could a person possibly go to write "I loves mah Mario gamez on mah Switch!" :) Good thing we have nintendolife.com!
Spoiler
[/img]
What a shitshow.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/1 ... stmas_gift

lmao!

Complains about rom patch and posts a write up about a STOLEN IP with stolen assets and stolen gameplay as a major feature on the site. It's also a ROM! A dreaded EVIL ROM! (Oh no! NOT A ROM!)

lmao!

Dumb shits.

Still a fucking shitshow.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I take offense to the STOLEN VALOR of Contra Spirits veterans by Rogue Corps, which ascribes Earth's victory to some "vortex cannon" instead of heroic somersaults and crush guns.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

People who continue trying to zip past you at like 80MPH while ignoring the fact that it's raining and visibility is dogshit. It wouldn't be quite so bad, but since everyone else is slowing down too, they do a bunch of fuck you drives and cut and swerve to go around on wet roads in low-visibility conditions at night.

bonus points if they don't let you get out of the lane to let them by and they just try and undercut you while another guy passes on the correct side
fucking Florida drivers
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I just ordered a BD-XL compatible burner drive off newegg. It arrives in a box with only chinese text. Seems to work fine, but a little research today revealed that Newegg has nosedived in quality since I last built a computer.

Adding insult to injury, the identical drive with english on the box and a free BDXL M-Disc included is $40 cheaper on Amazon. And here I thought I was still Mr. Cool in-the-know Nerd. D'oh!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

You probably want to check http://pcpartpicker.com too.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Youtube, why are you recommending me Peppa Pig videos after watching a series of Phantasy Star reviews?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Does anyone here fly regularly?

I noticed when flying to Orlando recently that so many people are buying up reserved seats that everyone else has to sit apart.

When I asked for a seat next to my wife they wanted an extra £60. So the airlines are prioritizing people who want to pay for a particular seat rather than allowing people who booked together to sit nex to each other.

I thought it was bad on American airlines on the way there, but British airways did the exact same thing on the way back. :?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

neorichieb1971 wrote: When I asked for a seat next to my wife they wanted an extra £60. So the airlines are prioritizing people who want to pay for a particular seat rather than allowing people who booked together to sit nex to each other.
That's crazy, and definitely a part of their money making scheme.

Every time I've flied and been unable to get adjacent seats, the airlines have tried to ask around for people to switch seats so we could fit people.
Steamflogger Boss

Salvation Army bell ringers.

Usually I just ignore them and generally avoid going to the store this month (for real) but I had to get some stuff yesterday. So I had a headache yesterday as well and put my hand on my head instinctively, the bell ringer saw this and amplified their effort. Fucking bitch.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was actually at a major mall the other day and wondering if the people trapped in retail stores beside them must get sick of that non-stop bell-ringing. Like, is it even worse than having to listen to christmas music all day long if you're not into christmas music?