shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 pm 

I may have posted this before, but seeing people upload a longplay of a game without having the smallest idea of how to play it. Case in point: A longplay of Phantasy Star Generation One in which the uploader went for three 10-minute chapters wandering around looking for the way to get the roadpass. Granted, the game doesn't make it terribly obvious, but don't we have the Internet for that kind of things?

Exhibit B: The room on fire in Dead Space 2. A computerized voice states repeatedly that it's necessary to deplete the oxygen in the area to suffocate the flames, with three atmospheric purifiers visible nearby, with blinking lights indicating activity. Player proceeds to shoot at the base of the flames or even try to walk through them. WTF.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:24 am 

This is why I never watch gameplay videos unless they're 1CCs, scoring videos, glitch expos, speedruns, and the like. Even video walkthroughs suck most of the time if you ask me.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 am 

Hmm.. I dunno, some people enjoy watching the process.
Like I enjoy seeing blind plays of Dark Souls, depending on the person playing.

If they looked everything up it'd lose some of that magic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:21 am 

It depends on the game. In general "longplays" completely fail to properly demonstrate the gameplay experience.
Hell, I don't really mind the blind play as much, as that's how most people would experience the game for the first time (Dark Souls is especially a good example, and an expert playthrough would give you no indication of what it really feels like to play)
But when they start using savestates to "luck" their way through every section of a game, just winging it with absurdly ineffecient strategies, they can easily end up completely miscommunicating elements that might be central to the gameplay in especially arcade or puzzle games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 am 

The only good videos of bumbling through games is GameCenter CX.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 pm 

how I don't understand the term "Immersive Sim" what it means and what distinguishes it from other games.
correct me if I'm wrong (purpose of this post) but isn't it a distinction without a difference?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:25 pm 

Blinge wrote:
how I don't understand the term "Immersive Sim" what it means and what distinguishes it from other games.
correct me if I'm wrong (purpose of this post) but isn't it a distinction without a difference?

I think it's the difference between "Sim City" and "The Sims," but that's just my casual understanding of it. "Second Life" also comes to mind. Anything where you are immersed rather than managing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:59 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Blinge wrote:

I think it's the difference between "Sim City" and "The Sims," but that's just my casual understanding of it. "Second Life" also comes to mind. Anything where you are immersed rather than managing.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but genre classification gets out of hand.

I'm not a huge fan of making up thousands of (often subjective) genre and subgenre names to pretentiously flame people. Not saying that anybody is doing that now, it's just a general observation.

Anyhow, in terms of "sim" games, I would put The Sims and Second Life in one catagory. Ultima Online also managed to partially inhabit the same genre. UO defies clarification. It also seems criminal to reference those games with saying the word: "grind". :) Some later entries to the Harvest Moon series also devolved into grind gameplay with increasingly bloated designs.

On the other side, there's Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing. Although, I would still argue that Animal Crossing was a bit of grinder. I haven't played the new ones, but the Gamecube punished me for not playing everyday. I logged in one day, the town was a mess and I turned it off again--forever. (Never punish the player for having real responsibilities, that's poor design.)

Also: (Sorry for not using the Japanese name for Animal Crossing, because that's always so "important"!! Ya know, for American kids to call the US localised version they are playing the Japanese title.. Not pretentious at all... Pfft...) Once again, a general observation from years of knowing other gamers. It annoys the hell out of me. Read the label and the title screen. That's the name of the software.

Anyhow, I see grindy micromanaging sim games versus more relaxed ones. Not sure what "immersive" means. All good game designs feel immersive.

grind =/= immersion

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 am 

I don't think you'd ever consider a game like Sim City "immersive" no matter how well designed it is?

vol.2's definition honestly makes a lot of sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 pm 

Man, just earlier this week I decided to hit up HG101 for fun and noticed they had an "immersive sim" category. Like, uh, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hmm. Yet they don't distinguish Strategy and turn-based/real-time and tactics. Lovely site.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:08 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I don't think you'd ever consider a game like Sim City "immersive" no matter how well designed it is?

vol.2's definition honestly makes a lot of sense.

At it's heart, SimCity is a straightforward strategy game. :)

Although, for me, I don't need an in-game individual avatar that directly influences the environment to feel invested.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 pm 

When lefties own and watch 300.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey also missed the mark by a mile. Two side quests about the Helots?

Crack a history book some time, kiddo. No. You cannot BLM and 300.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm 

drauch wrote:
Man, just earlier this week I decided to hit up HG101 for fun and noticed they had an "immersive sim" category. Like, uh, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, and Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hmm. Yet they don't distinguish Strategy and turn-based/real-time and tactics. Lovely site.

Lovely meaning trash?

With the genre nitpicking, once you've been around metal communities everything else pales in comparison.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 pm 

No way man, hardcore gamers only within.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm 

orange808 wrote:
When lefties own and watch 300.

Would you make an exception for lefties who watch it with Rifftrax?

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:37 pm 

drauch wrote:

How's anyone gonna lump in Deus Ex, SS2, Stalker with The Sims...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm 

I was hoping they did something on Sim City or The Sims to find out, but no luck, not Japanese enough I'd presume. BUT! They do have a Simulation category, not to be confused with "immersive sim". In here we've got Populous, Simcopter, and then Syndicate, and Gangsters: Organized Crime. Love it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:31 pm 

I had an argument with my family over the things I was spending money on, in particular a SCART cable I ordered for my PS1 was a point of contention. I tried to explain using picture comparisons that RGB SCART provides a significantly improved picture over the blurriness of composite, but they didn't want to hear it, they just kept saying "Both pictures look the same, they're both old" and "If you want better picture play the PS4 instead of spending money going backwards to the PS1, then spending more money trying to 'fix' it". and "Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present". Basically they're accusing me of trying to polish a turd.

Granted, I think that it wasn't really that they were upset I was spending money on retro gaming, I think it was more they were upset I was spending money in general on non-necessities given I'm essentially a NEET manchild, but in graduate school (a NET?), and not bringing in any kind of actual income beyond potentially TrumpBux, which I may not actually see being a dependent. Admittedly, I have a lot of obsessive and compulsive tendencies (probably as a result of my OCD), and I tend to get fixated on constantly tinkering with different projects (which requires a variety of parts and cables), and I have very noticeable compulsive spending behavior.

Still, I just found it very annoying that any explanations I tried to bring up were dismissed with "lol that shit is too old, you can't polish a turd, etc."

Last edited by cave hermit on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm 

cave hermit wrote:
I had an argument with my family over the things I was spending money on, in particular a SCART cable I ordered for my PS1 was a point of contention. I tried to explain using picture comparisons that RGB SCART provides a significantly improved picture over the blurriness of composite, but they didn't want to hear it, they just kept saying "Both pictures look the same, they're both old" and "If you want better picture play the PS4 instead of spending money going backwards to the PS1, then spending more money trying to 'fix' it". and "Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present". Basically they're accusing me of trying to polish a turd.

Granted, I think that it wasn't really that they were upset I was spending money on retro gaming, I think it was more they were upset I was spending money in general on non-necessities given I'm essentially a NEET manchild, but in graduate school (a NET?), and not bringing in any kind of actual income beyond potentially TrumpBux, which I may not actually see being a dependent.

Still, I just found it very annoying that any explanations I tried to bring up were dismissed with "lol that shit is too old, you can't polish a turd, etc."

Lol. JFC.

There's way too much here to want to tackle it all but what a straight up ignorant view. Some of us do happen to like old game design.

As for Trump Bux you get them if you filed a tax return. So from what you've said, it's unlikely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 pm 

I mean, it is true that S-video is good enough for 99% of people who play PlayStation games and already a huge step up from composite.

Quote:
"Why do you keep spending money on old game systems when everyone else has moved on to the present"

This is just straight-up dumb, though.

I wonder what your family would think of the people buying $400 upscalers.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 am 

Games that don't even change the system resolution that still only offer resolution settings based on what your video card accepts.
Seriously, just give me a percentage slider or let me type in my own numbers, there's no technical reason for it if you're just going to scale the result up to native res anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:35 am 

yeah just hit mousewheel button to scroll to the bottom of a thread, then clicked off but I had moused over muh emulator in the taskbar which brought up the preview menu for a milisecond so my mousewheel click-off in fact closed my emulator. AGAIN

can't figure out how to disable this lovely feature of mousewheel closing windows.

edit: guess i'll try and re-train to click off with leftclick

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:17 am 

Blinge wrote:
yeah just hit mousewheel button to scroll to the bottom of a thread, then clicked off but I had moused over muh emulator in the taskbar which brought up the preview menu for a milisecond so my mousewheel click-off in fact closed my emulator. AGAIN

can't figure out how to disable this lovely feature of mousewheel closing windows.

Wow, yeesh, that does sound annoying. I like middle-click close on tabs and the lot, but those little mini preview windows pop up at the worst times.
They take two seconds of hover to come up, and who in the world who uses middle-click to close things is going to wait multiple seconds for the ability to do so?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:09 pm 

Jesus Christ, reddit's default thread view is AIDS. Is there a way to make it display messages like a fucking normal forum? Trying to follow conversations gets exhausting, and they're usually full of shit to begin with. It's like a box of chocolates where every one is triple-shrinkwrapped and half are actually turds.

DURR CLICK TO SHOW VERY BAD NOT GOOD MESSAGE how about you let me decide whether it's a bad message or not, using this amazing technology we call "eyes?"

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 pm 

BIL wrote:
Jesus Christ, reddit's default thread view is AIDS. Is there a way to make it display messages like a fucking normal forum? Trying to follow conversations gets exhausting, and they're usually full of shit to begin with. It's like a box of chocolates where every one is triple-shrinkwrapped and half are actually turds.

DURR CLICK TO SHOW VERY BAD NOT GOOD MESSAGE how about you let me decide whether it's a bad message or not, using this amazing technology we call "eyes?"

I've boiled reddit down to only the subreddits that I care about at all and saved a link to sort-by-new. I've found that's a good way to not see the worst of it.

It got so bad over the last year that I dropped several subreddits I liked because of suck. r/mildlyinteresting was the last one on the chopping block. It was good weird fun while it lasted, but now it's just filled with assholes who think that every post is supposed to be a revelation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 pm 

Blinge wrote:

"Use the keyboard, Luke". :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:18 am 

BIL wrote:

Reddit is a worse medium of communication than conventional forums in every possible way. It's insane.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320