shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 3:11 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 1243
Location: Guildford, UK
Yup, that's how the recent Ticketmaster breach happened - random third party code running on the website was compromised. I got stung because I had to turn NoScript off to get the payment to go through, the whole site was so reliant on external content - but because I had to do that, I made sure I used my credit card. Glad I did.

But it shows just how little direct control website owners elect to have and how little they know about what's running on their sites. Heaven help anyone who is blindly navigating these sites in a plain browser, blissfully believing that SSL is protecting them. Using NoScript really highlights how bad it is when you get a tangled mess of a website that won't even display anything unless you permit a tonne of external content to run.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5398
Location: Canada
I always love it when I go to a website I haven't been to before, and half a dozen random domain names (plus obviously sketchy ones consisting entirely of random letters) are trying to run who the fuck knows what, but have been blocked by NoScript. :lol:

uBlock Origin also has a Malware Domains section .. highly reccomend turning all of those on as well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm 



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 397
Location: US
Third-party inclusions is the bane of the same origin policy and the entire trust model around www security. We do have solutions, for example, use CSP to limit all, and CORS to relax where necessary, and do this properly. Usability sucks though, and the cost of adapting existing web applications to work correctly under these new mechanism is high. Add to that the fact that 99% (made up number, but close) of even very senior engineers and CS folks won't have received formal/proper training on security. No wonder folks get it wrong, or simply give up. /rant
_________________
Sex, powerups, and rock 'n' roll.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 225
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
What happen to instruction manuals for games nowadays??..I really miss those esp the art in them.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 1243
Location: Guildford, UK
Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1100
Fucking ebay scalper sonuvabitches.

I see some asshole is busy selling the Corio2 machines that were going for $40 at a ridiculous mark up.

Fuckers.

That's why I didn't post anything about downscaling with it on the open forums, but the news eventually got out... and here we are.

Before you know it, these assholes always swoop in and this community always lets them win.

It's not worth the money! Stop letting the bastards rape you!
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 225
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.


I miss them for complex games 8)

I had this friend at school who read those manuals cover to cover, fighting games esp.

I swear no one could beat this guy playing SFII/ MK etc , he knew all the moves (while most of us were still looking at the pad trying to figure it out) he had already wiped the floor with us. Even at the arcades he would make a bee line for SFII , line of kids trying to beat him, he's on there all night until the older kids threatened to break his fingers hahahaha great day's


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2368
Location: Brooklyn NY
garrz32 wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.


I miss them for complex games 8)

I had this friend at school who read those manuals cover to cover, fighting games esp.

I swear no one could beat this guy playing SFII/ MK etc , he knew all the moves (while most of us were still looking at the pad trying to figure it out) he had already wiped the floor with us. Even at the arcades he would make a bee line for SFII , line of kids trying to beat him, he's on there all night until the older kids threatened to break his fingers hahahaha great day's


New game? New instructions? That was prime toilet reading material.
_________________
"Yes, That Should Work."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 225
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
Stevens wrote:

New game? New instructions? That was prime toilet reading material.



:lol: Hell yeah!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 4876
Location: Denmarku
When you finally get around to picking up a game that's been on your backlog for a while, and someone else on the internet talks about memories of "playing it in their childhood"...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18338
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Oof, I had that happen to me a while ago.

Related, seeing "epic fail" on a billboard and realizing it's basically a dad joke now.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1100
Troll moderators on lame shitty zombie "game sites" that no real gamers read. aka: nintendolife.com.

Here's an asshat attacking the guy that hacked Duck Hunt to work with LCD screens.

Quote:
"Not only are you advertising your project, you're actually advertising a ROM file... please advertis your rom hacks in some other site that cares."


Ohs noes! A ROM! ;)

Comedy gold!

Gosh, where else could a person possibly go to write "I loves mah Mario gamez on mah Switch!" :) Good thing we have nintendolife.com!

Spoiler: show
[img]
Image
[/img]


What a shitshow.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 4876
Location: Denmarku
orange808 wrote:
Comedy gold!


So funny that a website doesn't want people posting blatantly pirated software on their forum?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18338
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
If they're distributing an IPS file it really is no different from modding a game or console you own, no?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 4876
Location: Denmarku
I'd say so. But according to both orange808 and the screen shot, it's a ROM image?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18338
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Yeah, I mis-wrote my post. But the quote also makes it sound like Nintendon'tlife folks don't like projects, either. And suggesting an IPS file would take care of the ROM distribution worries, the way any Reddit moderator polices these things. These guys don't sound like the smartest gamers on the block.

Also, they're worried about the legality of Duck Hunt? Don't they make chairs out of them?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:06 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 4876
Location: Denmarku
I'd be more worried about the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers than any game specifically. :)

The NesDev Wiki even took down a tiny animation using footage from Super Mario Bros to demonstrate how the game loads in stage data while scrolling, and replaced it with a homebrew open source game...

Honestly I think it makes sense for any public forum to have a "no illegal bznz" policy, and just not make exceptions.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7003
Location: MD
Sumez wrote:
I'd say so. But according to both orange808 and the screen shot, it's a ROM image?


The actual site has IPS patches, but lists the games as ROMs, despite the site only having patches, as far as I can tell.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1100
Labeling important development as spam is beyond stupidity.

And, yes, it is a IPS patch on his site and it always has been; however, any and all discussion that involves evil ROM files is verboten at most of your fake corporate "fan sites".

Like I said, you can show up and say, "Mah Switch iz funz!" That's about it.

It's worthless. Absolute rubbish.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18338
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Sumez wrote:
I'd be more worried about the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers than any game specifically. :)

Dumping a ROM off a cartridge you own is legal. There's no copy protection scheme, no restrictive license to speak of, so applying an IPS patch is likely legal as well (and certainly should be).

The example about NESdev is a different kettle of fish because it involves transmission of the copyrighted materials - of course I wouldn't be surprised if nintendolife has some copyrighted materials around in their site graphics.

Anybody remember Sega's war on Shining Force Youtube videos?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:34 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 778
Every facet of modern popular "nerd culture" being obsessed with things "not aging well". You hear this the most with video games, especially those from the PlayStation generation, but it seems to be common to all nerd media:

Comics -> Silver Age Marvel/DC hasn't aged well, read post-Crisis/Whedon/New 52 instead
Tabletop -> AD&D/THAC0 hasn't aged well, play 3.5/Pathfinder/5e instead
Anime -> 70s and 80s animation hasn't aged well, go watch FMA/Madoka/Boku no Hero instead
Television -> TOS/Classic Who hasn't aged well, watch TNG/Tennant/the Abrams movies instead

etc., etc.
_________________
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:29 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3460
Location: Québec City
WelshMegalodon wrote:
Every facet of modern popular "nerd culture" being obsessed with things "not aging well". You hear this the most with video games, especially those from the PlayStation generation, but it seems to be common to all nerd media:

Comics -> Silver Age Marvel/DC hasn't aged well, read post-Crisis/Whedon/New 52 instead
Tabletop -> AD&D/THAC0 hasn't aged well, play 3.5/Pathfinder/5e instead
Anime -> 70s and 80s animation hasn't aged well, go watch FMA/Madoka/Boku no Hero instead
Television -> TOS/Classic Who hasn't aged well, watch TNG/Tennant/the Abrams movies instead

etc., etc.

Yeah this can be really annoying, One thing that exacerbates this is : on Youtube, everybody get to be an "expert" (or pose as one, I should say). Get a neat little intro, some slick branding, get a good number of views through aggressive social media campaining(often earned through clickbait) and BAM : everybody get to reach a wide audience. But that alone shouldn't qualify them as "experts" or some sort of authority on the subject matter, in an ideal world. Yet we get to hear about these guys/gals even if they don't know what they're talking about.

And a second point I want to make, and which is related to the previous one is that : they're probably often "controvertial" on purpose, because it draws views. A lot of people will go on their page and tell them to go fuck themselves, but ultimately these Youtubers are laughing all the way to the bank. Whatever you said on their vid page, it doesn't matter : you still gave them a view, and that's all they care about. they do whatever it takes.

It's all a sad state of affairs :(


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1805
FinalBaton wrote:
Yeah this can be really annoying, One thing that exacerbates this is : on Youtube, everybody get to be an "expert" (or pose as one, I should say). Get a neat little intro, some slick branding, get a good number of views through aggressive social media campaining(often earned through clickbait) and BAM : everybody get to reach a wide audience. But that alone shouldn't qualify them as "experts" or some sort of authority on the subject matter, in an ideal world. Yet we get to hear about these guys/gals even if they don't know what they're talking about.

OH MY GOD, as someone who spends way too much time watching the various Youtube guitar channels (only to always find that Phillip McKnight and Spectre Sound Studios are the only ones worth watching, and the latter is a lot less useful than he used to be), this phenomenon of "good looking chick picks up guitar for the first time and makes a channel about her beginners journey" irritates me so fucking much, especially when they inevitably make appearances on the other Youtube guitar channels. Why the hell would I want to watch someone who doesn't know a single fucking thing bumble their way through shit? If I wanted to watch someone be bad at guitar, I could just pick up my own instrument and skip Youtube entirely.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 4783
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
"Not aging well" is the go-to response of idiots.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3460
Location: Québec City
Obscura wrote:
"channel about her beginners journey"

Those are beyond pointless, I too too have ZERO interest for watching that crap... wait, that's not true : I might have negative interest. Like you said : "what's even the point". Wouldn't you think people want to watch vids of people with experience in the trade? To, you now, have insight into the pro/advanced mindset that the viewer lacks?

Yeah pretty much the same, only few guitar teaching channels grab my attention. Spectre sound studio and Rick Beato(notguitar-only, but still lots of it).

There's not THAT MUCH quality content on youtube, as it turns out. only a couple channels per field/specialty. I NEVER venture outside of my sub box. only watch those couple channels I love dearly(there are some). Outside of those, I'm pretty disenchanted with the platform... used to check recommendations but not anymore, I'm sick of it


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 3239
Location: Villa Straylight
I remember seeing some pretty young idiot trying to cover about a quarter of the Theme of Laura from SH2.

A well meaning nice boi comments that it's a good attempt (lol)
and her response was "attempt?? I thought I did quite well thank you."

She was actually a half step off, on several notes. Sounded awful. :mrgreen:
_________________
ImageImage
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1100
It's always tough when an open source project outgrows its founder--and there's a period of awkwardness. There's a certain project with a smart guy running it, but he's fucking clueless on lag and the target audience.

If people are physically building the device from parts, why worry about getting HDMI standard 60Hz output? Average everyday people don't order parts and solder together an open source project. Why would we need to cater to shit displays? Plebs don't solder and assemble DIY gaming systems.

Lag fucking matters. Asynchronous USB polling at 8ms really does create worst case scenarios of 1 1/2 frames of latency with retro gaming emulation. If the USB polls my input just under 8ms before the system polls the controller (and the next USB polling falls just after the system polls the controller) and my last button press was between the USB polling and emulated console polling, my input is delayed by about a frame and a half.

USB polling ----------------------USB polling-----------------------USB polling---------------
--------------------button press--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------USB registers button---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------Emulator poll--------------------------Emulator poll--------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------emulation receive input

See that shit? That really happens.

Then, the guy starts saying that PS4 is laggy. Except, we aren't fucking emulating a PS4. We're emulating older consoles. So WTF does that have to do with anything? Nothing. It's got nothing to do with anything.

Add in the latency from the scaler and the lag starts getting ridiculous.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14163
Location: Chicago
drauch wrote:
"Not aging well" is the go-to response of idiots.


I think it can be used but in specific confines. Skykid has said a few times he thinks T2 has shown it's age on each successive view -- this is coming from a fan. I think if you once adored something but have started to outgrow it, fair game. If you were born after something you are criticizing... probably best to just see if you have any new IG followers or whatever you do on your phone.

And to be fair, 70's/80's animation looks better than all the computer shit today.

Quote:
There's not THAT MUCH quality content on youtube, as it turns out. only a couple channels per field/specialty. I NEVER venture outside of my sub box. only watch those couple channels I love dearly(there are some). Outside of those, I'm pretty disenchanted with the platform... used to check recommendations but not anymore, I'm sick of it


As with everything else, you gotta dig. I've been seriously stumped on trying to figure out some sewing techniques, and reading about it just doesn't cut it. I've had a few Youtube clips that were pretty short, sweet, and to the point. Maybe it's just pop-culture Youtube jackasses that are the inept ones making channels? I needed to learn how to do a welt pocket for this (admittedly, fucking dope ass) vest I made. I read a few articles, watched a few videos until I found one and this chick showed how to do it not only in a few steps, but that it could realistically be done in 90 seconds. Bless her heart... Mind was blown. Probably a different beast though... I feel w/ anime and games (vintage anyway) it's all been discovered.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12190
Location: Wherever.
GaijinPunch wrote:
I read a few articles, watched a few videos until I found one and this chick showed how to do it not only in a few steps, but that it could realistically be done in 90 seconds. Bless her heart... Mind was blown.

Presumably this all transpired once it occurred to you that you needed to search specifically for "fucking dope ass" sewing tips.
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3460
Location: Québec City
GaijinPunch wrote:
As with everything else, you gotta dig. I've been seriously stumped on trying to figure out some sewing techniques, and reading about it just doesn't cut it. I've had a few Youtube clips that were pretty short, sweet, and to the point. Maybe it's just pop-culture Youtube jackasses that are the inept ones making channels? I needed to learn how to do a welt pocket for this (admittedly, fucking dope ass) vest I made. I read a few articles, watched a few videos until I found one and this chick showed how to do it not only in a few steps, but that it could realistically be done in 90 seconds. Bless her heart... Mind was blown. Probably a different beast though... I feel w/ anime and games (vintage anyway) it's all been discovered.

That's for how-to videos.

Are there a lot of channel that you like to kick back on the sofa and watch, for entertainment?
Not for me...
ANd I dug and I dug and I dug...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ZacharyB and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group