Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Immryr

Re: Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

Post by Immryr »

i really like the map marking in EO. personally i don't draw in all of the walls and stuff, that would be a little tedious for me, i only put walls in when there is a dead end or something similar, then i mark in all the important things like pits, gathering spots and doors etc.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

guigui wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Sumez wrote:The drawing your own map is the best aspect of the Etrian Odyssey series, and I really hope they find a way to keep it for future games, now that they aren't making any more for 3DS.
It's a core gameplay aspect that I can't imagine they would get rid of. It would be kind of odd without a stylus though. The series can't get off that garbage ass 3DS system fast enough for me. When there is a Switch installment I might give it another shot.
Hum, the drawing your own map really annoyed me in the EO 1. I can not see the point in having you doing this boring task. Maybe I have not played it enough and some aspect of the map drawing only appear later in the game ?
I'm not a fan of it at all. It's just something that has always been a part of the series.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh what's this. looks like an Etrian Odyssey rip off to me.

Edit: oh shit nvm this is awesome just like my hentais ;]
https://youtu.be/6MLzbqO3_lc?t=13m55s
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Automapping is usually the way to go. You can still get the pen and paper aspect of the game from manually writing down notes about the actual map itself, if the map does not mark where events are. This is how the Wandroid games for Android work - map needs to be uncovered by moving onto each space, but any spaces you've been to will appear in the mapping spell. Events and ladders however are not marked on the map, so it is handy to keep a notepad or a text document you can fill in with details on map coordinates.

It can still be interesting to play older games that were rough around the edges and requires manual mapping and whatnot. I imagine Etrian Odyssey wanted to capture some of that. Swords and Serpents is a similar game I want to go through at some point, though it doesn't appear to require as rigorous mapping as other games?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:Oh what's this. looks like an Etrian Odyssey rip off to me.

Edit: oh shit nvm this is awesome just like my hentais ;]
https://youtu.be/6MLzbqO3_lc?t=13m55s
LOL holy shit.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Automapping is usually the way to go. You can still get the pen and paper aspect of the game from manually writing down notes about the actual map itself, if the map does not mark where events are. This is how the Wandroid games for Android work - map needs to be uncovered by moving onto each space, but any spaces you've been to will appear in the mapping spell. Events and ladders however are not marked on the map, so it is handy to keep a notepad or a text document you can fill in with details on map coordinates.

It can still be interesting to play older games that were rough around the edges and requires manual mapping and whatnot. I imagine Etrian Odyssey wanted to capture some of that. Swords and Serpents is a similar game I want to go through at some point, though it doesn't appear to require as rigorous mapping as other games?
Well, etrian odyssey also auto maps every tile you walk over, so if you're happy with that you don't need to do any extra map marking. It's a good system imo, I especially like being able to make notes directly on the map.

-edit- oh and being able to put arrows on the map can be insanely useful.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

well i'm now mourning the passing of my ps2 and can't play wizardry TotFL :cry: need to buy a new one asap as i was loving this game. been looking into what other similar games are around and it looks like there is a pretty decent number of them on steam, which is nice.

guigui: labyrinth of refrain: coven of dusk released on switch today i believe. i haven't played it, it looks anime as fuck, but looks like it could be a decent dungeon crawler.
Last edited by Immryr on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tnc

Post by tnc »

Immryr wrote:well i'm now in mourning for the passing of my ps2 and can't play wizardry TotFL :cry: need to buy a new one asap as i was loving this game. been looking into what other similar games are around and it looks like there is a pretty decent number of them on steam, which is nice.
If your computer can handle it, you could emulate it on pcsx2. I was thinking about playing this and Shadow Tower Abyss and get my dungeon crawling on.

By the way, which games have caught your eye on Steam?
Last edited by tnc on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

unfortunately i just have a laptop with integrated graphics, it can't handle ps2 emulation. i'd really love to play shadow tower abyss -_-

the stuff on steam is mostly either vita games, or the older games like the numbered wizardry games.

elminage original
elminage gothic
stranger of sword city
labyrinth of refrain
operation abyss
wizardry 6,7,8
legend of grimrock 1 + 2 (although these games are more puzzle based and have real time combat)

from what i've seen of these games stranger of sword city is the one that interests me the most.

with the vita games your enjoyment will probably depend pretty heavily on how much anime you can handle.
Last edited by Immryr on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You can play Shadow Tower Abyss from an external harddrive using a FreeMcBoot. I don't think the console even needs to be modded. It's the only fan translation I've ever played on PS2. :)
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

last time i looked into freemcboot it seemed like i was going to have to buy a bunch of things to be able to install it (although i don't remember what, it was quite a while ago), and iirc it didn't work on slim ps2s, which is what i have.

now i need to buy a new ps2 anyway so maybe i'll look into what i need to get this working.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Immryr wrote: guigui: labyrinth of refrain: coven of dusk released on switch today i believe. i haven't played it, it looks anime as fuck, but looks like it could be a decent dungeon crawler.
Not out yet in the EU eshop, I'll be sure to watch it though. Heroes of Monkey Tavern has been out for some time though, looks slow paced. Anyone tried it ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote:last time i looked into freemcboot it seemed like i was going to have to buy a bunch of things to be able to install it (although i don't remember what, it was quite a while ago), and iirc it didn't work on slim ps2s, which is what i have.
You just need to have FreeMcBoot on a memory card, so potentially you could just get one with it alread installed. Installing it requires either another FreeMcBoot or a lot of modding/hacking stuff. I'd go the former route if I hadn't already gone the latter (the first and only time I will ever put a burned cd-r into my PS2)

I used it on a slim PS2 with no issues.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

oh, you just need a memory card with freemcboot on? nice, i don't even need a new ps2 to make that work since it's only not reading discs. i seem to remember needing an old ide hard drive and a ps2 network connector last time i looked at this stuff.

the only other problem is my usb external hard drive also decided to stop working a while ago -_-. i can use a usb flash drive but i imagine the loading times will be pretty bad.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yes, most games won't work from a regular USB HDD, I'm assuming because it's too slow or something, but Shadow Tower Abyss does.

... at least as far as I played it. I'll report in details once I'm done with King's Field IV :P
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

cool, i've bought a freemcboot memory card. lets see how it works.
tnc

Post by tnc »

Immryr wrote: the stuff on steam is mostly either vita games, or the older games like the numbered wizardry games.

elminage original
elminage gothic
stranger of sword city
labyrinth of refrain
operation abyss
wizardry 6,7,8
legend of grimrock 1 + 2 (although these games are more puzzle based and have real time combat)

from what i've seen of these games stranger of sword city is the one that interests me the most.

with the vita games your enjoyment will probably depend pretty heavily on how much anime you can handle.
Oh, wow. Thanks!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i've also seen on steam a game called dungeons and darkness, which looks like some kind of doujin king's field game. again i have no idea if it's any good or not though.

i tried shadow tower abyss on my laptop again and it actually doesn't run too badly. generally at around 90% speed, although the opening cutscene went from around 80 down to 45%, which was insanely slow. maybe i will give this a go while i'm waiting on buying another ps2. (so far i've died twice in the opening area with no save spot in sight so it definitely feels like king's field. other than the insane control scheme.)
guigui

Post by guigui »

So I've been trying this demo of Labyrinth of Refrain on the Switch. For sure it looks full of contents, typical JRPG battle system with lots to customize, Disgaea style characters, lots of talking. The Dungeon Crawling aspect looks nice too.

However I must say I'm not that biggest fan of the traditionnal turn-by-turn combat system (I did love the Shining Force one where your position matters though), so I'm not seeing me spending 40+€ on this right now.

Does there exist Dungeon Crawling games where the battle system is different ? Something like almost real time battle where a bit of skill and fast decision is needed ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'd say there are two other prevalent styles. One is the more direct combat that is still based on turns, but not commands (ie. monsters only move when you move, similar to roguelikes). Games like Eye of the Beholder, but also "modern" retro styles games such as Legend of Grimrock and Id Software's Doom RPG and the high fantasy spinoff Orcs & Elves (really underappreciated game IMO)

If you are looking for pure realtime combat, my best bet would be something like Ultima Underworld or Daggerfall. And of course, based on my own recent experiences, the King's Field and Shadow Tower games. That's really good stuff.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Dungeon Master is still the OG of the realtime subgenre.

When it came out, it was the best selling computer game of all time. Of all time. Its history would be analogous if five people got together, made Super Mario Bros, made bank, and then fell into an abyss to never be heard of again.

As far as I know, Wayne Holder would be the holder of the rights, though he's done nothing with them. As "abandonware" as it gets, and why Grimrock has such an empty field when it comes to competition.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:If you are looking for pure realtime combat, my best bet would be something like Ultima Underworld or Daggerfall. And of course, based on my own recent experiences, the King's Field and Shadow Tower games. That's really good stuff.
Yeah, for real-time combat, the single player ones are vastly preferable IMO. I absolutely hate the Dungeon Master/Legend of Grimrock style games; the micromanagement of combat and inventory where you're playing as essentially a four-limbed creature, the tile by tile movement for combat, the relative stupidity of a lot of the enemy AI, etc. I much prefer either turn based combat in dungeon crawls, or first person realtime exploration and movement akin to Ultima Underworld/King's Field/Elder Scrolls. Both feel more enjoyable to control and play.

If I've got party members, turn based allows for more strategic control, or I prefer games where they can act on their own with relatively decent AI (like Radia Senki/"Tales of" games) so I don't feel like I have to micromanage multiple characters in real time.

Dungeon Master was way ahead of its time though, it's like a very advanced point and click puzzle/adventure game. I felt it had more in common with Myst than dungeon crawlers like Wizardry due to the heavy puzzle elements it had, maybe I'm off here in that assessment.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BryanM wrote: When it came out, it was the best selling computer game of all time. Of all time.
What? You mean the best selling Atari ST game? :)
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

guigui wrote:Does there exist Dungeon Crawling games where the battle system is different ? Something like almost real time battle where a bit of skill and fast decision is needed ?
let it die is probably the closest thing i can think of to a dungeon crawl type game with actiony, real time combat. it's a fun game too if you can get past its gungho freemium underpinnings.

my replacement ps2 should arrive today, so i can get back to playing tale of the forsaken land :D
Last edited by Immryr on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

guigui wrote:Does there exist Dungeon Crawling games where the battle system is different ? Something like almost real time battle where a bit of skill and fast decision is needed ?
For a relatively recent game that blur genres a bit, I recommend Dungeon of the Endless. It's a mix of dungeon crawler, RPG and tower defense. Combat is real-time and while positioning is important, micromanagement is thankfully not needed to win.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Great inputs here, thank you all. None on the Switch though, but Let It Die is on PS4 ?

Oh, and what in general do you guys call "micromanagment" ?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Yeah, let it die is on ps4. The main advice I'd give you if you do decide to play it is, don't spend your death metals on continues, spend them to increase your storage capacity.

I assume ruldra means micromanagement like in RTS games where you have to simultaneously control attacking units, building units and economy type stuff.

Dungeon of the endless looks pretty cool, actually. Seems more like an FTL type thing than a dungeon crawler to me though.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Immryr wrote:Yeah, let it die is on ps4.
And Windows 7 and up.

It's kind of silly that a free to play game was one of the few apps that tried to tempt me into buying a Phantasy Star 4, but like with every other game on the system, was destined for a PC port later.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Immryr wrote:I assume ruldra means micromanagement like in RTS games where you have to simultaneously control attacking units, building units and economy type stuff.
Sort of, in this case I was only referring to the combat. My biggest gripe with real-time combat is how in some games you need to constantly reposition your units all the time to succeed in battles, Starcraft being the worst offender. Doing that in Dungeon of the Endless can have some benefits but can be safely ignored. Just move the hero to the room and let him do his thing.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i've had an insanely frustrating few days playing tale of the forsaken land. before my ps2 broke i was doing a bit of grinding on B3 to try and get the bishop's bracelet to drop, both so i could make a revive spell and to sell to the material shop, so i returned to doing this for a bit when i got my replacement ps2. i got bored of this after about an hour and went back down to B5 to make more progress. got to a boss fight with virgo, won that, continued exploring further down and....... my girlfriend knocked the power cable out while hoovering -_-;

next day i did more grinding for a bishop's bracelet for another hour and a half, maybe more, still no drop.... next day another hour to hour and a half and still no drop..... one of the things i was enjoying about this game previously was the complete lack of need to grind, now at this point i have probably been grinding for at least 6 hours for this stupid bishop's bracelet. feeling absolutely fed up i decide to just forget about it and continue back on through B5 and redo what was lost when the power cable came out.

first i go back to town, sell all my junk, make spells, rest etc then head back down towards B5. i'm just about at the spot where you fight virgo when i get hit from behind and one of my party members dies. of course, i don't have a revive spell because the bishop's bracelet is impossible to get so i teleport back to town, revive my party member, rest and head back towards B5. i'm just about to get to virgo again when, would you believe it the exact same thing happens again -_-;

fucks sake