Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cj iwakura

Re: Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

Post by cj iwakura »

The early trailers for Wizardry Online did look pretty cool, in a King's Field sort of way.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ruldra wrote:Permadeath, eh? I expect a lot of deaths to be caused by lag.
Realm of the Mad God, at least, has been quite gentle in this regard, although that game seems to use much different client-side prediction than most FPS games; you can reposition yourself in lag spikes to wherever you'd like in order to get out of harm's way, and the game seems pretty good in defaulting to kicking you back to the Nexus (safe overworld) in other cases.
Ganelon wrote:This game, and The Elder Scrolls Online, don't make sense to me though. Yeah, the scene is a lot clearer in 3rd person but it's difficult to connect these online installments to their original series.
TES Online makes perfect sense, and people have been clamoring for it for years (and Bethesda has been making fun of the rumors at least as long). The game's "you are the only hero!" shtick made little sense (although perhaps marginally more sense overall than a "the hero was always whatever random feeble sort the player plays as") but almost everything else about the series since Morrowind at least - if not earlier - has been pretty well-suited for an MMO. It will be odd to see people acting in the usual MMO ways instead of the usually sedate Tamriel citizenry.

This game, though - well, I even see a Taru in there. What the?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:So, only question is this: what are the menu options below the language toggles?
Monster name: Japanese / English
Item name: Japanese / English
Spell name: Japanese / English
Monster display: classic / PlayStation
Dungeon: line art / polygon
Sound: stereo / monaural
BGM: on / off
Sound effects: on / off
Combat effect: on / off
Automap: on / off
Controller config

Japanese (2) uses original message phrasing and item/monster names from the original JP computer translations that were revised for Japanese (1), the Llylgamyn Saga version. FYI, the SS version of Llylgamyn Saga has, amidst other minor advantages and disadvantages, an extra dungeon over the PS version.
Ed Oscuro wrote:TES Online makes perfect sense, and people have been clamoring for it for years (and Bethesda has been making fun of the rumors at least as long).
I was referring to the forced 3D perspective of both traditionally 1st person RPGs. For a TES MMO itself, yeah, I've been clamoring for one for a long time. One of the first questions I asked Bethsoft developers back in 1997 was about an online RPG that would rival the real-time 1st person hit Meridian 59. Even back then, they said they were interested in pursuing an online installment. It's unfortunate that I don't really care anymore.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ganelon wrote:Japanese (2) uses original message phrasing and item/monster names from the original JP computer translations that were revised for Japanese (1), the Llylgamyn Saga version. FYI, the SS version of Llylgamyn Saga has, amidst other minor advantages and disadvantages, an extra dungeon over the PS version.
Thanks, that's interesting to know!

How easy/accurate are SS games to emulate? You think it'd be better vs the PS1 version? I've never really emulated PS1 or SS games and was just going to see if I could import a copy of the PS1 game to play on my PS2. Any idea what that extra dungeon is? I know that the Wonderswan port of Wizardry I apparently had a special extra dungeon, was that actually just the extra SS dungeon?
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:How easy/accurate are SS games to emulate? You think it'd be better vs the PS1 version? I've never really emulated PS1 or SS games and was just going to see if I could import a copy of the PS1 game to play on my PS2.
You`ll need SSF if you want to emulate Saturn games. It has by far the highest compatibility of all Saturn emus and is the only one that`s still being worked on; all the others(like GiriGiri and Satourne) had long been discontinued. It also has rather steep system requirements - a fast CPU is pretty much a necessity if you want to run games at full speed. Unfortunately, it doesn`t support hardware acceleration, so Saturn games can only be played in their original resolution.

PSX emulation is a much more simple matter. It`s been mostly perfect for close to a decade now. Some PSX emus will run full speed even on Pentium 3 machines.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:How easy/accurate are SS games to emulate? You think it'd be better vs the PS1 version? I've never really emulated PS1 or SS games and was just going to see if I could import a copy of the PS1 game to play on my PS2. Any idea what that extra dungeon is? I know that the Wonderswan port of Wizardry I apparently had a special extra dungeon, was that actually just the extra SS dungeon?
No clue how any of the Wizardry installments work in emulation; I always play games on the original hardware when possible.

The bonus dungeon in the SS version is just that—another full-featured multi-floor dungeon with enemies and items from all 3 games in the trilogy as well as some new stuff. I don't have the WS Wizardry for comparison but since that game was only Wiz I and each of the DLC "dungeons" was just a 1-floor map, I would deduce that they're completely different.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ha!

Yup, pretty much classic Wizardry right there.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
fjenna89

Post by fjenna89 »

Hi I just picked up a cheap cart for Wizardry Empire - I know some of the JP Wizardry games have a menu with 'Select Switch' to change parts of the game to English. Wizardry Empire has a menu, however I cannot read Kanji. I could not even select the 9th option until recently.

Anyone out there able to decipher this? Many thanks.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7210/w ... empire.jpg
Danny

Post by Danny »

Sorry for necroing but since this is pretty much the Wizardry thread...

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wizardry_6_7 ($6)

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wizardry_8 ($10)

YYYYEEEEAAAAHHH!! :)
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Ugh...I'm STILL waiting for a price drop for LoLS. The game has been out for almost 2 years now and they never bothered to make a single sale or a bundle, even though it didn't sell that much. No way I'm paying $30 for the full game, especially when it's not all that great.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Uh, isn't it $19.99?

And awesome news for the older Wizardries!
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

$15 for the base game, then $5 more for the lower levels of the first dungeon then $8 more for the second dungeon. A bundle would be perfect here but looks like XSeed completely forgot about the game.

At this rate I might get Legasista instead. Same price but much more content.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

That seems to be the case. Anyway, I think $15 is a great price for the core game, but YMMV. I love the game so much I did a FAQ on it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/981422-wiza ... faqs/64323

And only the Red Shadow DLC is worth it, trials is just more levels without story I believe.
Last edited by cj iwakura on Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I should read through your faq and replay it..didn't care for it much first time 'round.

The 6 & 7 pack is completely worth it...if only to have a functional version of those games on a modern computer. I wish something modern could capture my imagination the way those games did back then.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I had completely forgotten that Wizardry Online: Gaijin Edition existed. Until I read the announcement about its upcoming closure.

Technically I guess that was already a given with the initial "Sony Online is launching a game" announcement, but eh.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

BryanM wrote:Technically I guess that was already a given with the initial "Sony Online is launching a game" announcement, but eh.
Wrong. It was a given the moment it became known that a game with 'Wizardry' in the title was being localized. Wizardry may be one of the two most influential RPGs ever(the other one being Ultima), but the fact remains: the name Wizardry has almost zero pull outside of Japan.

I started a new playthrough of Wizardry: A Tale of the Forsaken Land a few weeks ago, reached the sixth floor(which is about halfway through the game) in three days or so, then got sidetracked by something else and haven't touched it since. I'll need to get back to it one of these days. I went with a Good/Neutral party this time around since I don't remember there being any benefits to the evil route aside from the cursed weapons. Will move on to the Japan-only sequel once I'm finished with it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:but the fact remains: the name Wizardry has almost zero pull outside of Japan.
This is so sad, and yet so true.
RegalSin
Banned User

Post by RegalSin »

WIzardry is what is called a FPS RPG, and this RPG in Japan alone is what gave people the idea, to use that, however many other FPS/FPV RPG were also released, like Dragon Knight ( seriously all I can say it is auwsome, and has an entire series for itself, and the IV game to this was released over and over, again ).

I am looking at Eye of the Beholder for the N64. I thought this was a FPS, when I had first saw it, or a remake of an NES game, but now, knowing what I did not know, it seems like a decent play. The PSX/PS2 also have this photo camera game, that made it to the NDS, I forget the name, I think it was "Dark Dungeon" or something like that.

Otherwise in the west, FPS/FPV games like Doom are the result of Wizardry, and well as the Elder Scrolls, or even many comic adventures/point and click games we take for granted.

While I could get sucked into a good FPS view RPG, right now, games like that can also bore the living daylights out of me, once I start realizing, how much work I am doing, just to see a phantastic ship fly away.

Did I mention I have Wizardry V: Heart of the Malestorm, for the SFC, along with some other RPG. You know what is nice when you buy videogames? when they have a save file on it.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Shit, I thought you would've been banned on every forum in the entire planet but I suppose not (look up RegalSin and you'll see what I mean).
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:the fact remains: the name Wizardry has almost zero pull outside of Japan.
It's true that you have to keep a steady output to keep brand recognition up - 20 years of no Mario games would fuck that franchise up something serious, too.

And for something as venerable as Wizardry, it needed to keep a chain going from the first releases. If someone introduced Chess in 2014, not a single human being other than its creator would care about it. If Etrian Odyssey's ceiling is currently 200k'ish, what hope did WO have..

Still. Sony Online doesn't run games so much as roll a bunch a dice and throw away everything that isn't a 6. Honestly I suspect they keep making Everquest expansions solely as a front for some kind of money-laundering operation or something. I'm going with the "they expected to close WO in six months" theory. Occam's razor and all that.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Necroing this thread to ask if there is a Switch game that could give me the dungeon crawling thrill like Wizardry games seem to do ?

I remember playing Dungeons & Dragons Warrior of the Eternal Sun on the Genesis as a kid, used to love the dungeon exploring part.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

I dunno about any available now (I don't have a switch), but the next etrian odyssey game will more than likely be switch exclusive.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Right now, Vita is the DRPG console. But as it fades out, I'm absolutely certain Switch will take over. Except maybe with fewer obscene anime tiddies.

edit: Nevermind, the next Omega Labyrinth game (not first person) has already been announced for Switch, so I guess anything goes.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Oh wait, are you two saying that there are none Dungeon Crawlers on the Switch right now ?

I played a little Etrian Odyssey 1 on the DS. Got a bit turned down by the all-kids characters designs, and the fact that you have to draw your own map. Hope they somehow ditched those elements in the numerous sequels ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The drawing your own map is the best aspect of the Etrian Odyssey series, and I really hope they find a way to keep it for future games, now that they aren't making any more for 3DS.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sumez wrote:Right now, Vita is the DRPG console. But as it fades out, I'm absolutely certain Switch will take over. Except maybe with fewer obscene anime tiddies.

edit: Nevermind, the next Omega Labyrinth game (not first person) has already been announced for Switch, so I guess anything goes.
Lollers. I burned out on this genre a bit due to the inundation on Vita. And yeah the lewds weren't helping. Fucking Omega Labyrinth. I beat that and um, Demon Gaze, Op Abyss, Dungeon Travelers 2 etc... I don't even remember all the titles there were so many.

I'm looking for an excellent dungeon crawler right now tbh. Doesn't have to be roguelike though, Dead Cells is scratching that itch.
Sumez wrote:The drawing your own map is the best aspect of the Etrian Odyssey series, and I really hope they find a way to keep it for future games, now that they aren't making any more for 3DS.
It's a core gameplay aspect that I can't imagine they would get rid of. It would be kind of odd without a stylus though. The series can't get off that garbage ass 3DS system fast enough for me. When there is a Switch installment I might give it another shot.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

If you don't mind seedy anime Nippon Ichi games, the US NX port of Labyrinth of Refrain is coming out in like five days.

I believe it did well enough that the company is planning a sequel.
guigui wrote:I remember playing Dungeons & Dragons Warrior of the Eternal Sun on the Genesis as a kid, used to love the dungeon exploring part.
Heh, such an exploitable game that was. Remember going into that cave at Lv.1 Exp.0, and killing defenseless Fire Giants for ~4,000 exp each? So broken.

Music was pretty rockin' too.

Miss Dungeon Master quite a bit, too.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BryanM wrote:If you don't mind seedy anime Nippon Ichi games, the US NX port of Labyrinth of Refrain is coming out in like five days.

I believe it did well enough that the company is planning a sequel.
I'm a huge weeb tbh. The visuals look EXTREMELY NIS which I don't mind.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Sumez wrote:The drawing your own map is the best aspect of the Etrian Odyssey series, and I really hope they find a way to keep it for future games, now that they aren't making any more for 3DS.
It's a core gameplay aspect that I can't imagine they would get rid of. It would be kind of odd without a stylus though. The series can't get off that garbage ass 3DS system fast enough for me. When there is a Switch installment I might give it another shot.
Hum, the drawing your own map really annoyed me in the EO 1. I can not see the point in having you doing this boring task. Maybe I have not played it enough and some aspect of the map drawing only appear later in the game ?
bryan wrote:
guigui wrote:I remember playing Dungeons & Dragons Warrior of the Eternal Sun on the Genesis as a kid, used to love the dungeon exploring part.
Heh, such an exploitable game that was. Remember going into that cave at Lv.1 Exp.0, and killing defenseless Fire Giants for ~4,000 exp each? So broken.

Music was pretty rockin' too.
Exactly ! Though the Red Dragon further in the cave was better, more like 7k exp.
I remember re-rolling my team like crazy in the beginning, killing a lot of Fire Giant + Red Dragon, then saving before leveling my party, reloading if the stats gained were not high enough, repeat. With this method I could get the perfect Fighter at 110 HP, which equals to 11HP gained for each of the 10 levels max you could achieve. All of this was doable even before completing the first dungeon.
This game taught me grinding.