shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:06 pm 

KAI wrote:
Junji Ito was also working on that cancelled game
Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck Konami!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Konami...such greatness...such disappointment.

Who the heck took over?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 am 

I've been replaying Silent Hill 1-4 casually since halloween.

I was really reminded how much of a good game 2 is on this playthrough when I've stopped to smell the shitty roses.

However with added exploration of outside sections, I collected so much ammo and healing items!
The game gives you absurd amounts of resources. So in actual 'levels' or inside sections I killed every enemy possible, by shooting.
Or rather the optimal 3 bullets, then a stamp of the foot to finish them off. Doormen earned my shotgun wrath, iirc.

Eddie's first phase was a one and done with the Great Knife for lols. That overhead swing catching him coming in from offscreen is one of my favourite moves to pull in the game.

I used the Hunting Rifle on PH and the final boss, yet even with all this shooting happening I had at least a hundred pistol rounds and shotgun shells by the end. Health kits coming out of my ears.

Lying Figures, Legz, Nurses can be stunlocked by simple melee weapons as far as i'm aware.

Silent Hill 2 is incredibly easy, Silent hill 3 reaches into your anus and pulls your teeth out.

Basically every enemy is a bullet sponge compared to 2. I thought after a couple of shots I might score a knockdown for that foot finish but nope, often they would die from 6-7 bullets before falling down. My aspiration of killing everything quickly evaporated after i spunked the original pistol ammo on the first few enemies, especially the big arm brutes outside the mall bakery.
Ammo + health items are much more scarce in this game. I ran past most of the enemies and still ended up completely out of ammo for the final boss.

So i feel like in traditional survival horror fare, you're supposed to run past the enemies, and that's a lot harder in this game too. Barely anything can scratch you in 2 if you run past, even when rubbing shoulders. In 3 you might get grabbed or a lot of the enemies have a fast swinging style move designed to catch evasive players. Also the level design of tight dark twisty corridors full of fast enemies or them screeching fucking pendulums does not allow for easy dodging.
I fucking hate them pendulums.

The dogs and crawling cunnilinguists are nightmare fuel. Good luck hitting the latter with pretty much anything. If you try to melee them, these underwear boys gonna crawl right up Heather's snatch.
In the otherworld office building I'd put another kind of beef jerky down then sneak up from as great a distance as possible and use the ridiculous mace. That worked on them pretty well.

I've seen people complain that 3 has more of a combat focus than 2 but I don't know man, you can do a lot better for yourself via combat in 2, with 3 you're shooting yourself in the foot if you try, for the most part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 am 

I apologise for the disordered thoughts but here's another post about the pacing of each game.

3's pacing is just so... off, compared to 2.
With SH2 James arrives and discovers there's strange things afoot in the town, the level of horror builds slowly, from the iconic fog to your first eventual venture into darkness.
3 is like fuck you lol! Dream sequence! nightmare amusement park! all guns! horrific sounding enemies, it totally bludgeons you from the beginning, THEN tries to do a chill start in the mall. I think this beginning sucks, personally.

The chill start is very shortlived however as bad things gradually start but really their effect is totally lost on the player who has already been through the dream sequence. Why do a 'scary' reveal to heather of the hulk/shopping bag enemy who we've already seen, killed or ran away from in the dream!? :|

Lets compare the buildup of intensity in both games

Spoiler: show
SH2.
James arrives
> Unnerving walk to town (nothing happens) > Sees lying figure, gives chase
> Monster revealed in a cutscene > radio
> Apartment Building [the horror begins fo real]
> Break, out in the open again, meet Maria, eddie bowling cutscene
> Hospital > Otherworld [intensify]
> Low moment, james alone at night, scarier open section
> historical society [really heats up] > shit gets real underground > Eddie
> boat+ early hotel [brief respite before the end] > big reveal > illusions collapse, final bosses.

While the horror and intensity is at its peak during the prison/underground sections, I'd argue dialling back the pressure a little bit for the Hotel and End is a good idea, it allows you to focus more on the personal element of James' story.

SH3.
> Nightmare [Already intense from the get go]
> Heather wakes up, meets douglas [briefest glimpse of normality] > First enemy in a cutscene shortly after
> Mall "dungeon" immediately [several enemies to deal with at once, often.] > Claudia + otherworld [as intense as sh2's otherworld hospital already ] > dogs, pendulums > Penis boss
> Subway [quick breather before horror and dogs come back, confusing layout, instadeath puzzles]
> Sewers [intense AF, you're running away in the dark]
> office block [straightforward level, calm at first but still tough enemies in tight spaces] > Otherworld variant [intensity dial at 10]
> Story, Heather reaches home. > Missionary boss battle
> Heather + Douglas drive to Silent Hill, cutscenes [jesus. finally you can relax for a minute]
> Open exploration in the foggy town that you've wanted since the beginning, but a tiny variant thereof, little more than a throwback to 2. Asset re-use.
> Hospital [Good horror, nurses, of course. easy enough] > Otherworld [Intensity 10 again. It's tough.] > Leonard.
> Amusement park [Absolute hell, crank that dial up to 11 baby] > Haunted House, genius section [unsettling, but chill]
>More amusement hell > intense memory of alessa boss.
> Church [Pretty much a climax. makes sense here.]

I feel the latter game is all over the place. The latter half seems to have decent pacing and the last areas really ramp it up, as you might expect! It's the early game that's a real problem for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am 

Yeah, SH3 is kind of "take it or leave it" for me, for a lot of the reasons you've mentioned. It's got some setpieces I absolutely love, and I like that it's significantly harder than 2, but as an overall thing, it just doesn't work as well.

I loved SH2 both times I played through it, but I don't feel the need to ever play it again. It's so hard to die that it ends up lacking any real teeth; the "survival" part of "survival horror" goes right out the window.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:48 am 

3 is still my favorite but a lot of it may be my crush on Heather, which is just creepy now that I'm getting older and she isn't.

1-4 will forever remain the only true Silent Hills. I hope one day we see another series that is so unique and special, but it hasn't happened yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:11 am 

8BA wrote:
3 is still my favorite but a lot of it may be my crush on Heather, which is just creepy now that I'm getting older and she isn't.

I laugh because i'm in the same boat.
Still, every fresh replay makes me cringe at her voice actress that little bit more.

Although, my absolute favourite line by her is the vitriol in 'looks like God didn't make it.'

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 pm 

BIL wrote:
Not to mention that you shouldn't be fighting sniffer dogs at all, early in the game, but sneaking past them. They'll ignore you as long as you don't run or get too close. If you have to fight one, let it walk into your striking range, floor it with a flurry of light hits, stomp on it and walk away while any others in the area flock over to cannibalise it.

Just tried this in the forest world round 1.

It doesn't work birru :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 pm 

If I'm remembering the right area (downward-sloping path lined by several relaxing sniffers), I seem to recall idly luring out and killing them one by one with the starter Iron Pipe, last time. Dead sniffers attract other sniffers to feed, leaving them open for a beating.

It's been years though. Still, I've single-sessioned SH4 Hard enough times to stand by my sniffer handling technique. The trick is to walk slowly. Too quick, or worse yet running, will instantly put them in chase mode. If approached carefully they'll get up but remain off-guard while wandering into pipe range.

IIRC, the intro movie showcases some in-game footage of the player booking it through that exact area and getting mauled by the entire pack. :lol:

That comment was aimed more at the subway, specifically the couple of long corridors with a few sniffers each, prior to getting the handgun. Not that you should be wasting ammunition on them, but it's not even an option there. They're pretty easily brought down by the aforementioned pipe flurry (don't bother charging up, it'll just let them get hits in).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 pm 

BIL wrote:
Too quick, or worse yet running, will instantly put them in chase mode.

Ah. that's it, was moving too fast probably.

Still the wooded areas are brief enough for me to wanna just run from them, as we're still in the free-heals part of the game. (intro scrub notwithstanding)

This just in from FB group - Spotted in Ashfield!! :o

SH4 really is a master of unnerving gameplay compared to the others imo, even though I know what's coming i still struggle to gain momentum and keep playing. Makes me very squeamish.
But maybe it's because the game trains you to be a voyeur always peeking through the door and hole in the wall hoping for a glimpse of eileen's sweet ass.

Edit: Well I started to get into the game a lot more in water world on, remembered how good it is..

Buuuut then i spent aages trying to pin Cynthia and i can tell babysitting Eileen's gonna be a drag. I'm not sure if it's okay to ditch her in little monster-free rooms or not. The only safe one i know of is the middle area at Wish House
Going for the mother ending.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am 

Finished my replay of 4.

Man, I really love and hate this game. It creeps me out in a way that no other SH or even horror game does. The slow creep of creepy things into Henry's little world is masterfully done. I could complain about the protag's lack of character but Walter Sullivan's kinda the main character of this game isn't he.

Annoyances, though: you're juggling so many mechanics by the end of the game that it feels overwhelming, I don't want to enter another room because of all that could go wrong.
Which ghosts to leave swords in, which places to fight or avoid, where to leave Eileen, how to get Eileen to follow you, Walter, where to use holy candles, especially when doing the heal Eileen 'glitch', inventory management. Ruh!

Not to mention Building World Stair Days Re-visited Gaiden Part 2: Stairs edition Stairway to hell

You could argue that if a horror game makes you want to stop playing it, it's a successful horror game, ha.

I think if I ever return to the game ima just let her die.
Shame, really. best ass in Silent Hill.

Christ has anyone seen the 10 star rating requirements for these games!?
4's is obscene.
Difficulty: Hard
Play time: Less than 2 hours
Saves: 1
Continues: None
Enemies defeated: Greater than or equal to 120
Memo items found: 52/52 (Having about 50/52 memos will still earn you 10 stars.)

How you supposed to do all that killing and finding within that tiny time frame!? one save! :shock:

Last edited by Blinge on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: mum bills
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 am 

Blinge wrote:
one save! :shock:

To push you further into the mouths of madness, that one save that's pardoned is reserved for clearing the game and save it, see?
Have no confusion.
You have to clear the game with no saves or continues for max points. :lol:

AN' YO' KNOW WHUT THET MEANS!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 pm 

Wha, really? :|

Also damn is this SH4 !? :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9