NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
JBC

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by JBC »

"Flesh against steel. Gun against mind. What's right. What's wrong? Who cares? I'm just a fool, entrusting my life to nothing but a gun!"

"Finally after a dramatic battle the evil empire was destroyed. The captain of the Z 42 Warpstar, Vanessa Gaiden, escaped and returned to celebrate her victory. But she never made it home, missing in action to this very day.
But out of nowhere a new evil has burst into the galaxy. A mysterious Planet Lord called the Master. The Master can create and control evil beings made of steel. These beings, the Lords of Steel, are evil creatures terrorizing the galaxy and enslaving humans by absorbing their souls.
While our hero Gordian Gaiden searches for his newlywed wife Vanessa he feels an evil presence. The master Gordian dons his Gunlord suit, jumps in his planet shuttle, and dives into the atmosphere of planet Kairos II.
What evil creatures and adventures are awaiting him? Will he find Vanessa?"

It's so damn cheesy I love it. How can Gordian and Vanessa be newlyweds if she never made it back? I guess they got married and then she went and kicked space ass. Anyway the screenshots are fantastic, I can't wait to play!
Godzilla was an inside job
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sumez wrote:Wouldn't be anamorphic then. Anamorphic means you're using the same resolution as 4:3 mode, but displaying it in 16:9, meaning the pixels won't be shown in a 1:1 ratio. (or whatever ratio the game is made to work with)
Then again, I'm not sure if Dreamcast isn't technically capable of rendering enhanced horizontal resolution. My understanding is that anamorphic trick in SD consoles is essentially about keeping the performance steady in both modes rather than impossibility of drawing more pixels per line. PS2 outputs 1280x1024 (interlaced) if needed, but no games known to me are actually rendered like that (just upscaled). Heck, apparently Saturn can render in 704×480 prog-scanned, even though no first party component leads were officially released.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

This game is covered in skulls and fire. Will they please just open preorders for the Dreamcast version, already?
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Pre-orders open Monday for Dreamcast and AES.
TransatlanticFoe

Pre-order is live: http://www.ngdevdirect.com/index.php

May as well stump up for Blast Wind and Radiant Silvergun if I can commit to dropping just over £100 on a pre-order for a dead system (and all because it's technically pay day) :roll:
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

99€ for the collectors edition!!!??

That's a premium price, even with all you get for it.
Got to think about that for a while....

It looks cool enough, but will get regular edit first for now.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shouldn't have bought Last Hope a couple of months ago, when they have that "newcomer pack" now >_>
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

First trailer is now up.

So much Turrican. That said, it looks pretty good and fun. Though for some reason I find the main character's sprite isn't quite as badass as I hoped. He looks...skinny, sort of.

Regardless, will be looking forward to playing this come December.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I like it a bit. Its not 16:9.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Ok, this is the first NG Dev trailer I ever watched and thought "I need to get this". I liked Turrican back in the day, but I never had a good version of the first couple (didn't have the Amiga one, tried the horrible Genesis port, eventually played through 1 & 2 on a C64 emulator). I'm excited that the levels are non-linear, unlike the console Turricans.

But, holy crap, is this game a rip off of Turrican! Art, music, abilities.. wow.
Humans, think about what you have done
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

louisg wrote:
But, holy crap, is this game a rip off of Turrican! Art, music, abilities.. wow.
Get with the time its called homage these days. 8)
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

"Turrican rip-off" sounds funny to me considering how many games were ripped off by Turrican. Metroid/Psyco Nics Oscar/Aldynes/Aero Blasters/Hawkeye etc.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

That Dragon Edition surprised me. Of course, since this game looks absolutely gorgeous, I'm in. Preordered it and a regular edition for my best friend to help us save on shipping. With shipping this has officially cost me more than Border Down. I am going to frame those posters and hang them on my wall. Might as well go all out, right?

I love the grimdark theme though. It's the right blend of awesome and overkill. The health system looks unforgiving as well, which means it will be time to stop letting modern games hold my hand and learn to be a precise 2D killing machine all over again.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

psoslayer wrote:"Turrican rip-off" sounds funny to me considering how many games were ripped off by Turrican. Metroid/Psyco Nics Oscar/Aldynes/Aero Blasters/Hawkeye etc.
Turrican (2) got all things right though, seemingly without trying too hard.

Gunlord may pay tribute to it, but it remains to be seen whether it gets 'it' right. :|
will preorder regular edit. in any case.

PS. Sturmwind looks more promising but gets no attention at all... why?
SW looks like coming from a wet dream to me. And they took notice of feedback here...
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

Super Laydock wrote: PS. Sturmwind looks more promising but gets no attention at all... why?
Graphics aren't everything... :!:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Nothing wrong with ripp offs as long as there are good, in fact we need more rip offs of old classics imo

That trailer looks great, im defo picking this up. Hopefully itll emulate well on the PC cos I know that if I buy the console I wont stop at buying a couple of games, im only just keeping the collector inside me in check as it is :)

Im curious as to how the controls work as its been many moons since I last played Turrican. Since there's 7 weapons and only 6 buttons on the dc, there's cycling, is that every weapon or is there one or two primary weapons with a dedicated button?
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Nothing wrong with ripp offs as long as there are good, in fact we need more rip offs of old classics imo

That trailer looks great, im defo picking this up. Hopefully itll emulate well on the PC cos I know that if I buy the console I wont stop at buying a couple of games, im only just keeping the collector inside me in check as it is :)

Im curious as to how the controls work as its been many moons since I last played Turrican. Since there's 7 weapons and only 6 buttons on the dc, there's cycling, is that every weapon or is there one or two primary weapons with a dedicated button?
I'm going to speculate that some weapons might be power-ups or attacks like the Metroid-style roll might be a button combination. Most likely is weapon toggling with special attacks linked to triggers.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

psoslayer wrote:Psyco Nics Oscar
I'd rather buy this again than Gun Lord.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

psoslayer wrote:
Super Laydock wrote: PS. Sturmwind looks more promising but gets no attention at all... why?
Graphics aren't everything... :!:
I blame that annoying Mash Tactics presenter for knocking the wind out of sturmwind's sail :lol:
I'm going to speculate that some weapons might be power-ups or attacks like the Metroid-style roll might be a button combination. Most likely is weapon toggling with special attacks linked to triggers.
I thought Turrican was more like Radiant Silvergun with ammo pick ups? My guess would be like you said triggers for weapon selection, jump, roll, primary weapon, secondary weapon, with primary either spreadshot or that bullet destroying gun. Or both as primary with jump mapped to the dpad.

Edit or roll as a button combo of down and jump, with jump mapped to a button. That would work best for me as im not a lover of using the dpad to jump.

Hopefully the dev will include more than one control option
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

emphatic wrote:
Why? :|
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

psoslayer wrote:
emphatic wrote:
Why? :|
Because the overall visual style, presentation and game mechanics of O.S.C.A.R. screams ARCADE, not homebrew, that's why. Nothing wrong with NG DEV, they are very good at what they do, but IMHO, none of their efforts so far feel at all like real arcade games. Even Bullet Soul is closer in that regard. I think it might be the Euro-style thing I find so off-putting.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
nem

Post by nem »

It looks and sounds great, however, I'm not digging the exploration angle at all. Was never a fan of Turrican.

However, there's a bit in the video that's forced scrolling (skip to the four minutes in), and oh wow, I wish the whole game was like that! Forced scrolling platformers for the win
louisg

Post by louisg »

nem wrote:It looks and sounds great, however, I'm not digging the exploration angle at all. Was never a fan of Turrican.

However, there's a bit in the video that's forced scrolling (skip to the four minutes in), and oh wow, I wish the whole game was like that! Forced scrolling platformers for the win
The console ones are a lot less explorey. Have you tried those?
Humans, think about what you have done
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Hmmm, 99 Euros for the 'Dragon Box' seems quite pricey to be honest.

Whats the big difference between that and the offer to buy the Double Bundle for 68 Euros - a fancier box??

I've always bought all of NGDev's Dreamcast and Neo Geo games- but I'm a bit put off with apparent cash in.

Am I really getting charged 31 Euros for a fancier box just to own the Limited Edition 'Dragon Box'?

Ordinarily I'd be right in there with a preorder for the LE and the Regular -but I'm going to wait and see if there is a price reduction.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hopefully it will have a good sprite collision system. In the Genesis version of Turrican your health pretty much disappears.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

NAVVARR wrote:Hmmm, 99 Euros for the 'Dragon Box' seems quite pricey to be honest.

Whats the big difference between that and the offer to buy the Double Bundle for 68 Euros - a fancier box??

I've always bought all of NGDev's Dreamcast and Neo Geo games- but I'm a bit put off with apparent cash in.

Am I really getting charged 31 Euros for a fancier box just to own the Limited Edition 'Dragon Box'?

Ordinarily I'd be right in there with a preorder for the LE and the Regular -but I'm going to wait and see if there is a price reduction.
In addition to the fancy shmancy box they give you extra stickers, a special postcard, and three posters that are each about a yard tall. It's expensive, yeah, but I love the way it looks. And it's Dreamcast-related, so my hands are pretty much tied.
TransatlanticFoe

Ordinarily I'd have been happy with the limited edition. But I simply cannot resist fancy packaging - the posters won it over for me.

Looks like this may have gotten rid of the one thing that annoyed me with Turrican games - the time limit. My first few runs were all about finding where stuff was, then it's about getting to it all before the time runs out. What looks like severely limited health is easily a better way of managing difficulty.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

I never liked the original Turrican much, yet loved Mega Turrican and Super Turrican. From the trailer, this one "feels" more like Super Turrican.
Super Laydock wrote:SW looks like coming from a wet dream to me. And they took notice of feedback here...
You just don't understand! :roll:
nem

Post by nem »

louisg wrote:The console ones are a lot less explorey. Have you tried those?
I haven't -- even though I have a Super Turrican II cart right here :oops:

I probably should get around to trying it one of these days
sven666

Post by sven666 »

super turrican 2 is bareley a turrican game at all, more of a contra style run'n'gun, very similar to rendering ranger - great game.

gun lord looks fantastic, i guess im a bit dissapointed that its such a blatant ripoff of turrican 2 and nothing original tho..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..