NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
JBC

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by JBC »

Mega Turrican is my fav. I still remember the first time I rented that game. Something else was rented out, I think maybe Contra Hard Corps and it was the only other choice. I thought I was gonna hate it but then I kept going back and re-renting it even after I had beaten it. I still go back and play it through emulation every now and then to this day.

The Psygnosis style visuals in this game are great, I love those statues. I can't freakin' wait to play this.

EDIT - Also I just realized that Vanessa is the pilot of the ship in Last Hope. Apparently the game takes place in the same continuity. Neat!
Godzilla was an inside job
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I just picked up mega turrican for the 1st time about a week ago. Man did I miss out when it originally came out. I love it, way more than I was expecting. I love run n gun games and this one is a REALLY good one. It's like metroid and contra had a baby and over clocked it.

Good grafix and tunes... really fun to play also. In fact it has left me carving more and now I'm pretty excited about Gunlord after the videos.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

louisg wrote:Ok, this is the first NG Dev trailer I ever watched and thought "I need to get this". I liked Turrican back in the day, but I never had a good version of the first couple (didn't have the Amiga one, tried the horrible Genesis port, eventually played through 1 & 2 on a C64 emulator). I'm excited that the levels are non-linear, unlike the console Turricans.

But, holy crap, is this game a rip off of Turrican! Art, music, abilities.. wow.
The Amiga Turrican is good.

When it was ported to Genesis by The Code Monkeys, they messed up a lot of things:
* game speed (too fast, probably since the conversion from PAL to NTSC was botched)
* the way you use the power lines and grenades (you hit a select button, and get your ass kicked while trying to rush out a power line/grenade)
*the BGM (the Genesis sound system doesn't help, but Chris Hulsbeck would surely have handled porting over the BGM better than the two guys who did it here).

Super Turrican is probably the best one on console. Unfortunately Super Turrican 2 is too linear- it's not a bad game, but it digresses too much from what Turrican is. It's still good if you can adjust your expectations.

I don't mind the Euro-style in Gun Lord, esp. with it being a Turrican homage. I'm impressed so far.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

You know what, the game looks fantastic, but the trailer was awful. The whole "Ken Burns" intro was too slow-paced; the game restricted to a tiny frame, that's just stupid; and the music is terribly bland.

Okay, Rafael Dyll can do ambient music. But seriously, fuck ambient. This is a goddamn run and gun! A game like this needs something catchy, grandiose, wild, exciting, operatic, bombastic. For example, the jungle theme from Contra, the final level from Strider, the air base from Revenge of Shinobi, or the sunset city from Gunstar Heroes. That kind of music.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I thought the music was awesome. Last Hope and Fast Striker both had damn good soundtrack's, and I think GunLord's is right in line with NG-Dev's style.

Game certainly reminded me of more than just Turrican, also had some Shadow of the Beast, Commander Keen, and Duke Nukum in there too. Really nice sprite art, and I was mesmerized with the trailer's opening concept art. I'm sold.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Maybe I should get around to playing Mega Turrican.. had it for a while now
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Looks like this may have gotten rid of the one thing that annoyed me with Turrican games - the time limit. My first few runs were all about finding where stuff was, then it's about getting to it all before the time runs out. What looks like severely limited health is easily a better way of managing difficulty.
Super Turrican for the NES (PAL only, but runs at the same speed on NTSC units) got rid of the time limit in 1992.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

... which must make it about the only Turrican game to do so? Yeah, forgive me for not having played every port, particularly one on a console which did pretty badly in the UK compared to its competition.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Got an e-mail from NG:DEV:TEAM noting some of the production numbers. They don't mention the number of regular edition copies they have, but I imagine that's because it's less important and because they will likely do a reprint in the future.
NG:DEV:TEAM wrote: Dear customers,

we decided the final production numbers for our Gunlord games:

Gunlord DC "Dragon Box" Collector's Edition : 300 units worldwide (50% are left)

Gunlord AES/Homecart LE English+Japanese : 120 units worldwide (both combined) (25% are left)

Gunlord MVS Shockbox LE : 60 units worldwide (30% are left)

As soon as those are sold out they go out of print. Remaining stocks will be auctioned on Yahoo Japan in 2012.

Btw.:
Fast Striker MVS LE is sold out / out of print
Last Hope Pink Bullets MVS LE will be soon gone too, only a handful of units are left.

Best regards,
NG: DEV.TEAM

P.S:
we will soon start "early bird" pre-orders for Fast Striker AES and Last Hope: Pink Bullets AES.
Unfortunately, the e-mail leaves us with nothing to speculate concerning the nature of the game itself. Oh well.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Just downloaded the presskit from the main site and have been admiring the screenshots again. My head is really in this game right now. I've been tooling around with Amiga emulation lately & playing the original Turrican games. Plus I finally checked out Hurrican and was pretty impressed although I'm not a fan of the visual style. Gunlord however... looks beauuuuuutiful.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Small detail, but it's bugging me: no timer. Doesn't feel like a legitimate arcade game without a timer, even if they rarely ever had any significance in run-and-guns.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Isn't this thing supposed to be shipping soon? The site looks kind of dead.
Humans, think about what you have done
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I and many others were expecting to get the MVS version last month, but I started wondering about the same thing you did when nothing happened. So about a week ago I e-mailed NG:Dev and got this in response:
NG:Dev Team wrote:sorry for that. We assumed it clear that there is no official release date yet. But we were wrong, we got recently a lot of mails regarding that.
Even though on the official site it even still reads "Release: NEO·GEO™ MVS December 2011, Dreamcast™ 2012, NEO·GEO™ AES 2012" and the store page used to state that it will be in stock on December 2011.

Shortly afterwards they posted this to their Facebook page:
NG:Dev Team wrote:In February 2012 we will announce the official release date of Gunlord for NEOGEO MVS. As you will see then in the next video, we put the extra time in good use and added a lot of new GFX and stages.
So now there's an announcement of an announcement...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TransatlanticFoe

Their shop now says the Dreamcast version is 15th March, whereas at the time of pre-orders I think it was January.

There wasn't any indication of confirmed release dates in any e-mails I received as a result of pre-ordering though.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Site still says 15th of March, but here's the e-mail I just received from NG: Dev Team.
NG: Dev Team wrote: Dear customers,

as we got a lot of requests from customers we decided to accept pre-orders for the AES version of Fast Striker early.

The "early-bird" pre-order opens 28th January 00:01 AM GMT+1 (midnight) .

The limitation is for now set at 150 units overall.

The release for Fast Striker AES is planned for 2 month after the Gunlord AES release.

You can find the AES versions here:
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/index.php?cPath=21_31

Due to popular demand and increased costs of the Gunlord development we decided to raise the limitation of Gunlord AES back to the initially planned amount of 150 units. Please understand that it was necessary.

We will show in February a new trailer of Gunlord with the new features/stages

The release date of Gunlord MVS/AES/DC will be announced in February.

Best regards,
NG: DEV.TEAM
So basically it's a modified announcement about an announcement.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
system11

Post by system11 »

So is the MVS allocation sold out yet, and can you run the MVS cart on an AES if you wanted, with some kind of adapter?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, still available online. And yes, the store website states that the MVS can be used on a AES using the Super MVS to AES converter II (and the Daedalus likely as well).
system11

Post by system11 »

It is tempting, I was a huge fan of Turrican games. Not sure about paying for it all up front though.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Make a demo version and distribute it with an emulator plz. :3
system11

Post by system11 »

I caved in and pre-ordered the MVS LE.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Anyone know anything about a Neo Geo CD version? I had read they were considering one but haven't heard anything since.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

@circuitface: I really doubt that's going to happen. I recall them mentioning at some point that Fast Striker's NGCD-version was also originally considered, but was soon dropped.

On a sort of positive note, their Facebook page was updated a few hours ago with this:
NG Dev Team wrote:We will release next week the final trailer and the release date of Gunlord MVS.
So, yeah, they missed the February deadline for the announcement, but here's hoping we'll get the info and the trailer next week.

Also, for the DC crowd:
NG Dev Team wrote:The release date of Gunlord for DC will be announced a few weeks after the MVS release.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
JBC

Post by JBC »

Ghegs wrote:@circuitface: I really doubt that's going to happen. I recall them mentioning at some point that Fast Striker's NGCD-version was also originally considered, but was soon dropped.
Damn, I feel left out. I went to buy Fast Striker for iOS a moment ago and found out it isn't available in the US app store. I suppose I'll have to break down and re-buy a Dreamcast because it's the only thing remotely feasible as far as my price range goes. I'm not worried about getting the limited editions of either so hopefully the reprints will be widely available by the time I'm set up.

I was mostly hoping for the Neo CD version because the emulation of Last Hope is great through Nebula. However, I still want to support this company because Gunlord looks wonderful and I could play the disc through my PC connected to my TV with proper resolution. Dreamcast emulation is crap no matter which way I go about it, so I'd rather just re-buy the system. It's also of note to me that NeoGeo is the intended platform, as it's even in the company's name.

I don't have a standard def television and I'm almost certain DC is gonna look like crap on my screen so I'll probably have to break down and buy an SD monitor for it. Arrg. Just to be clear before I do all this, I'm assuming the discs of all 3 games won't be region locked right?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

@circuitface: Somebody asked on NG Dev's Facebook page about the Neo Geo CD release (maybe it was you?), and they replied that their "NG games are not compatible with the NGCD anymore due to use of custom hardware on our cartridges".

My videos
JBC

Post by JBC »

Yep, that's me. Too bad :(

I'm looking into using the VGA adapter for Dreamcast to display it on my PC monitor, which will give me a clear 640x480 resolution, but I'm not sure if the DC NG Dev games support this mode. If all else fails I'll just pick up a nice SDTV, but I really just want to get the best picture possible when playing Gunlord.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

szycag wrote:
Jeneki wrote:I'm just glad their announcing the Dreamcast version right away instead of going arcade-exclusive for several months ala Fast Striker.
They're probably not doing an arcade release at all. It looks like a Turrican style game and those aren't really arcade run-n-guns.
Score counter + 2 lives max in their screens.

My only concern...Some of the tiling work isn't that great here. (i.e. the gray "cavelike" tiles, mainly.)
nem

Post by nem »

circuitface wrote:I'm looking into using the VGA adapter for Dreamcast to display it on my PC monitor, which will give me a clear 640x480 resolution, but I'm not sure if the DC NG Dev games support this mode.
I'm sure it will be VGA compatible. No reason why it wouldn't be.
TransatlanticFoe

Fast Striker was VGA compatible, so it'd be a backward step if they removed that from Gunlord.

btw the NG:Dev releases are region free but use MIL-CD, which apparently excludes some late release Japanese DC models where support for the format was dropped.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
szycag wrote:
Jeneki wrote:I'm just glad their announcing the Dreamcast version right away instead of going arcade-exclusive for several months ala Fast Striker.
They're probably not doing an arcade release at all. It looks like a Turrican style game and those aren't really arcade run-n-guns.
Score counter + 2 lives max in their screens.

My only concern...Some of the tiling work isn't that great here. (i.e. the gray "cavelike" tiles, mainly.)
Hmm I dunno, I'm pretty impressed in general for such a small scale effort. You just reminded me: I was hanging out with some indie game guys the other day, and one of them is making a NES-style hockey game. He finally got "real" art in for it, and it's something crazy like 1200 frames of animation. I'm sure the sheer number of still images in GunLord is pretty staggering.

I wonder if the 16-bit era was really the end of the bedroom programmer. There were suddenly so many things you couldn't get away with!
circuitface wrote:Yep, that's me. Too bad :(

I'm looking into using the VGA adapter for Dreamcast to display it on my PC monitor, which will give me a clear 640x480 resolution, but I'm not sure if the DC NG Dev games support this mode. If all else fails I'll just pick up a nice SDTV, but I really just want to get the best picture possible when playing Gunlord.
I'm hoping for TRUE LOW RES ;D No, seriously, I didn't even know the DC could do that until I got Fast Striker. It's a shame many of the professional efforts for the system didn't take advantage of it.
Humans, think about what you have done
JBC

Post by JBC »

louisg wrote:I'm hoping for TRUE LOW RES ;D
Yeah fuck it, I'll just go the simple route and get an SDTV. I wanna see those scanlines baby 8)