NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
RaidenViper

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by RaidenViper »

Ghegs wrote:Alright, got mine. Took two weeks to arrive. DHL does not impress me.

My first impressions are positive, but more in-depth comments are still forming up. I recorded my first credit, so people can see how the game looks and works during normal gameplay and not just trailers. Fumbling play approaching: http://youtu.be/JR7cHhwXMsM
Looks awesome! Still waiting for mine.... Damn you DHL!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Thanks for the video! :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
JBC

Post by JBC »

The only nitpick I spotted was your sprite floating slightly above some platforms. Background animations are quite nice!
Godzilla was an inside job
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

One more video to show approximately the first half of the game.

Alright, so:

The game and stages are long. It takes around an hour to beat the whole thing, probably a bit more if you're going for every secret and diamond. And there's no saving or passwords or even a pause button. Better make sure you don't have to go the bathroom or answer the phone before starting the game up. I'm assuming the DC port will have at least a pause button, and the game does feel much like a console game to begin with, not an arcade game. Would be cool if there's a hidden code for stage select, though.

While the stages are long and labyrinthine, it's usually easy to get to the end thanks to the arrows showing where to go. It's also sort of easy to find secrets, just go the other way to look for stuff and shoot around to find the hidden platforms. Bit of a shame the shmup stage (I think there's just the one) is, in comparison, so short and even barren in gameplay.

There's a truckload of weapons, which is cool. There's the spreader, the bouncer, the Big Ball of Fire, hidden weapons that only last for a while, etc. It doesn't really feel like there's much of a reason to choose (or avoid) a specific weapon though, everything seems to work well enough. There's the always available "Snake Laser" which is fairly powerful, goes through walls, and you can aim it accurately. You could probably play through the game with it alone. The only downside is is that you can't move while using it. You can jump though, and it looks pretty hilarious. The "Super Wave" or bomb as we call it, is in limited supply but the game throws them at you like candy. Handy for taking out the small, weak enemies, which are the most deadly, to me at least.

The bosses are kind of pushovers. They have fairly easy and predictable patterns, so it's not uncommon to destroy them even on your first attempt. Most of my hits happen in the stages themselves, there's often little enemies that I don't notice until it's too late. Part of this is because the screen doesn't always seem to scroll properly, or it takes a moment too long for the "camera" to re-adjust itself.

The graphics look very nice. Second stage is absolutely gorgeous to look at, how I wish they could've used that style and level of detail with Last Hope: Pink Bullets. Would've been great. The main character could use a tad more animation here and there. The music's pretty spiffy too, shame there wasn't an OST CD included in the package this time.

There are some bugs, as you can see in the video, but it has already been confirmed a 1.1 version is coming which should fix all of them.

Overall, I'd say it's a good game. Maybe not a good arcade game, but a good console game anyway. The game might feel most at home on the DC. I think a lot of people will like that one.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And there's no saving or passwords or even a pause button
set the game to console mode (can be done with the bios remaining in arcade mode) - and voila - you got yourself a pause function.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

great vids ghegs, thanx for sharing :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
1up

Post by 1up »

Just watched your video ghegs. I get a serious Amiga vibe from the graphics and music. And the Turrican style gameplay adds to the Amiga game impression. Looks well made, but not my cup of tea. Nice to see new Neo Geo games being released.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ghegs' post could have been a Turrican review from way back when. I'm kind of interested to play this for the nostalgia value alone.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Finally, got mine.

Made it to stage 5 on 5 credits first run... I'm not very good at Turrican games :P
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

1.1 patch is coming today, apparently. NG:Dev posted this list of changes over at Neo-Geo.com:
Version 1.1

This update is mandatory to save scores on ranking.ngdevteam.com site.
Version 1.1 is considered the new official game. All future releases are based on it.

Changes:

General:

- Reduced menu speed
- Removed auto centering
- Beam is now limited in use, its power recharges slowly but can also be replenished with violet orb items. A violet energy bar was added to the bottom of the HUD.

Bosses:

- Reworked all bosses to provide a more interesting and challenging fight.
- Each boss got additionally attack patterns.

Reworked stage 2 / Air Stride:

- added bullets patterns and suicide bullets for enemies
- spiced up stage
- added some enemy death fx

Details:

- Added visible boss energy bar in boss fights
- Improved pause button handling
- Stage 1: Reworked mountain color palette
- Stage 4: added big enemies to elevator fight
- Added level skip cheat (not usable in coinop mode) -> no hiscore save

Bug fixes:

- Stage 3 boss scrolling bug
- Stage 9 mcu bug fix
- Various minor fixes
Sounds pretty good, the patch seems to address many of the things I mentioned my post above.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Is the Gunlord MVS user-upgradable ?

And slightly OT: have there been updates to the Fast Striker and Pink Bullets MVS carts ? I have bought the later two 2nd hand, so I have no idea which versions would be on the carts (in case there have been different ones).
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Yeah, NG:Dev's MVS carts USB ports inside them so the software can be updated. I don't think Pink Bullets ever got an update, but Fast Striker did, adding most notably the Omake mode.

My videos
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I've just updated mine. I will record a gameplay video regarding the new update, and upload it to my youtube channel later today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile you guys can check out my other gameplay video before the patch, with later stages Ghegs did not show :wink:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

To anyone who's done the update: how does the game feel with the auto-centering removed ? I found it weird during the first level, but actually got used to it pretty quickly.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I can barely notice any difference :?

For now, I can't get past the stage 5 boss. The camera keep getting stuck at the bottom of the screen during the boss battle. Is that suppose to happen? It just makes the whole fight unfair.

But I like the extra boss patterns they added.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Turns out I didn't have a working mini-usb cable in the house, so my update was a bit delayed. But I just did it, and the game's definitely better now. The bosses actually fight back and take a bit longer to kill, the laser isn't quite as god-tier as before, the shmup stage is waaaaaaaaay more fun...overall, the patch really brings out the game proper. Now I'm stuck at the stage 3 miniboss fight, which is both embarrassing and awesome. He used to be a zero-threat pushover. Good job, NG:Dev.

Don't really notice any difference in the auto-centering, that could still be improved upon a bit.

My videos
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Never thought I'd see a Neo Geo cart with a USB upgrade port, but there it is. Color me impressed.
gatsu25

Post by gatsu25 »

Does anyone have an idea of when the Dreamcast version will be for sale? I usually pick these NG:Dev games up in Akihabara when they are released, and I would hate to miss this (and Sturmwind).
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Here's some footage of 1.1 I recorded earlier today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_qF6WR-VE
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

gatsu25 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when the Dreamcast version will be for sale? I usually pick these NG:Dev games up in Akihabara when they are released, and I would hate to miss this (and Sturmwind).
Their store says 14th June at the moment, but that's shifted a fair few times thus far.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Has anyone found all extends/timeups in stage 3? I'm still missing two there...
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

For those who care, Gunlord (DC) is now up on Play-Asia: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-4-49-en.html
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I'm at 11 of 12 timeups/extends now for stage 3. Is nobody playing this?
I like chocolate milk

drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Man, just watched Ghegs' videos, really want to pick this up now.

Why is the only version on the NGDev site that comes with those posters the redundant pack with 2 copies of the game? Grrr....
AKAperly

Post by AKAperly »

Plasmo wrote:I'm at 11 of 12 timeups/extends now for stage 3. Is nobody playing this?
I'm playing plasmo, been posting in the ng.com thread.

updated my cart last week to 1.1, 1cc'd story mode last night [final boss is much harder after update]. going to stick with arcade mode from now on though.

when is ngdev going to update the scoreboards so we can start tracking online?

after the stage 3 dragon boss, do you know how to get those diamonds in the upper right hand corner? i've been coming out of most levels with 75% of the extends.
support western shmups.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

AKAperly wrote:when is ngdev going to update the scoreboards so we can start tracking online?
The internet ranking for all versions is supposed to go online together with the DC release of Gunlord. It won't take too long from now I guess.

AKAperly wrote:after the stage 3 dragon boss, do you know how to get those diamonds in the upper right hand corner? i've been coming out of most levels with 75% of the extends.
These are a bit tricky to get. There are three enemies to the left of the diamonds. You need to lure these, so that they fall down on you and then jump on them. You have to jump on all three to get to the diamonds. Probably the hardest diamonds to get in the whole game.

I'm also trying to speedrun the game since collecting everything is boring. My best effort up to now is around 21min (Original mode), but I'm sure that sub-20 is possible.

Looing forward to see you in the ranking once they're up. :)
I like chocolate milk

Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

NG Dev mentioned that they have another game scheduled for this year. After that, there's going to be an Ikari Warriors-style overhead shooter in 2013, which will be their first 2-player game. I wish they'd make it more Out Zone-style! I think they're going to do a Kickstarter for some or all of these.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

The game scheduled for this year is probably Redux.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

RaidenViper wrote:The game scheduled for this year is probably Redux.
Nah, that one is not neogeo.