LTTP: Ys - where to start?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
kozo

Re: LTTP: Ys - where to start?

Post by kozo »

As a long time Falcom fan - been playing their PC games since the 90's - I thought I would share my disorganized and unwarranted thoughts in the mix for reference to newcomers. :)

LONG POST FOLLOWS!

Ys I: Play it once so you know what's up, but one of the weaker games. Has some little quirks like the dreaded Darm's Tower and a bad guy named Dark Fact/Fukt/???
Best Version: PC (Ys I & II Complete). PSP version is good, but runs @ 30 FPS. Avoid DS version if possible - it works, but it isn't pretty.
English: Yes, fan patch for PC. PSP version has retail English release too.

Ys II: One of my favorites. Picks up where Ys I left off, but is faster, crazier, shmuppier. and just better. Fun story that never gets in the way. Gorgeous 2D graphics on the PC. A must play.
Best Version: PC (Ys I & II Complete). PSP version is good, but runs @ 30 FPS. Avoid DS version if possible - it works, but it isn't pretty.
English: Yes, fan patch for PC. PSP version has retail English release too.

Ys III: Weak story about a bad man named Chester and Damsel in Distress #103. :) Quite cheesy. Oddly, a sidescroller, like Zelda II.
Best Version: X86000 and MegaDrive are the strongest, SNES is serviceable, PCE is poo but has awesome music, PS2 is beautiful but has some funky gameplay.
English: Yes, for various systems, but you really don't need to know what's going on.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana: Ys III re-imagined in the style of Ys VI. Much deeper than vanilla Ys III.
Best Version: PC. PSP version is good too, and has voice acting, but obviously is not as pretty as the PC version.
English: Yes, fan patch for PC. PSP version has retail English release.

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun: Canon version of Ys IV, but IMO not as cool as Dawn of Ys (more on that in a moment.)
Best Version: SNES. PS2 remake (Taito) could have been nice, but it's very rough.
English: Yes, fan patch for SNES.

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys: Hudson's own take on Ys IV. Though not canon storyline-wise, it's a dynamic, awesome game for its time, with killer music and cutscenes. A must play.
Best Version: Only on PC-Engine, and very well done. Takes advantage of the CD-ROM's storage.
English: Yes, fan patch for PCE.

Ys V: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand: One of the very few console games Falcom developed in-house. Very misunderstood game among fans and the black sheep in the series. Story and scope are epic compared to the usual Ys stuff. Plot is miles ahead of others in the series and the locations are fantastic. Crazy magic system where you brew your own spells. New gameplay system where you can jump, swing/stab, block, etc. in the vein of a traditional action RPG. Massive cast of characters. Only Ys game with a more orchestral score, very FF6-sounding - lovely. Re-released with a higher difficulty later as Ys V Expert (play this one.) A must play - I adore this game!
Best Version: SNES, which also had a direct PC port (emulated). PS2 remake from Taito is very rough and doesn't capture the spirit of the original.
English: Supposedly a patch is in the works.

Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim: Falcom's attempt at modernizing the Ys series. Scope of the game is smaller than Ys V, more in line with the older Ys games, but retains Ys V's expanded combat style.
Best Version: PC - cleanest textures, 2D sprites, 60 FPS. PS2 version is okay, runs slower and muddier but some people like the 3D characters. PSP version has 2D sprites but is slow.
English: Yes, fan patch for PC. PS2 and PSP versions available in English.

Ys Seven: Total revamp of the series, and the point in the series where Falcom officially dropped PC development, despite promise of a PC version later. Crazy, fun, Secret of Mana-esque gameplay on crack. Jump is gone, but character switching is in. Boring, long-winded plot with cheesy translation and character stereotypes - good thing the game is fun.
Best Version: Only on PSP, though a licensed-out PC port (not remake) will come out in China later.
English: Yes

Ys Origin: Ys VI engine expanded for new gameplay styles. Three characters - one Adol-style, one shmup-style, and one crazy-fast melee style. Unique aesthetic, really cool. Takes place centuries before Ys I.
Best Version: Only on PC, and looks and plays fantastic.
English: Patch in the works.

Ys Strategy, Ys Online, etc.: Non-Falcom licensed games. Avoid. :)

Also, to quickly delve in to some non-Ys choice bits that should not be missed:

Dinosaur Resurrection: Remake of the 1989 original. Very dark turn-based dungeon crawler with an usually strong (and evil) narrative. Combat is visually minimalistic but VERY fast, which I love. Check out the intro video on YouTube.
Best Version: Only on PC, and looks and plays fantastic.
English: Nope.

Brandish VT: Very cool twist on the old Brandish formula. Isometric, non-rotating viewpoint, multiple characters with separate storylines, and nice hi-res 2D graphics. Ported to Windows later as Brandish 4. My avatar is from the game. :)
Best Version: VT is on the PC-98, but Brandish 4 works with modern PCs.
English: A friend and I are working on one, but it's on indefinite hold for now.

Brandish: The Dark Revenant: Cleaned up, smoothed out, beautified remake of Brandish for PSP. Highly recommended for a good old-school dungeon romp.
Best Version: PSP.
English: None that I know of, but XSEED might release it?

Legend of Xanadu II: The original was cool, but LoX II distills it down to a focused and fast-paced experience. One of the few in-house console games from Falcom, and they really used the power of the PC-Engine here.
Best Version: Either the PC-Engine original or the PC Windows port emulated are just fine.
English: None that I know of.

Xanadu: 1985: Second game in the Dragon Slayer series, lays down foundations for the entire action RPG genre, sells more than any Japanese PC to date, and kicks ass. Wonderfully archaic, lonely, and unrelenting. HARD. Had an excellent expansion pack (Xanadu Scenario II)
Best Version: The original PC-88 version (and it's PC port) has an awesomely old, dank, hardcore feel to it. However, Xanadu Revival for PC-98 and Falcom Classics for Saturn are a lot easier on the eyes, and more playable too.
English: None that I know of, but most of the game is in English anyway.

Xanadu Next: My favorite Falcom game and a masterwork of classic, pure gameplay. Rock solid mechanics, beautiful artwork, cool level design, legitimately good plot and haunting music add up to gaming nirvana. Please track this down.
Best Version: PC, by a huge margin. Only other version is a scaled down N-Gage port with totally different graphics, gameplay and plot.
English: In the works, eventually.

Sadly, Falcom has announced they are no longer supporting the PC platform - mostly due to a small Japanese PC market and their distributor backing out on them - and have moved to PSP and NGP development. They also seem to be focusing a lot on their easy-to-sell Sora no Kiseki brand, which I haven't been able to really get into. Not to sound like a jaded neckbeard, but I fear "old Falcom" has jumped the shark, especially ditching the PC after 20+ years of dedication. :( Need moar Xanadu and Brandish, less cute, mass-market, anime rip-off stuff. /rant

Also, Falcom really needs to release their catalog on Steam.
drauch

Post by drauch »

What is bad about YS III on the Turbo CD?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
kozo

Post by kozo »

Mostly janky parallax scrolling. Very rough on the eyes after a while. It seems to be, graphically, on the lower end of the Ys III spectrum.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

drauch wrote:What is bad about YS III on the Turbo CD?
Nothing, it's an excellent game! I say get it.
I agree, the parallax is beyond terrible, but it's only in the few outdoor scenes, and in no way a game breaker. It's bad in the other versions of the game as well, just not THAT bad.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

As for Xanadu and Xanadu II I finally got around to buy them last year, and then what happens, a tiny rubber cog in the CD drive of my PC Engine breaks a tooth, and in the meantime prices of PCE CD Drives seem to have soared sky high! (anyone got a broken one for spare parts, get in touch with me :P)

And apparently neither of these games seem to work on the emulator I have.
Last edited by Sumez on Thu May 26, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Looks like they are working on a Legend of Xanadu II English translation on the Falcom forums. I've been waiting for the Xanadu Next one forever now. Is it true that both Legend of Xanadus came with Xanadu Next?
kozo

Post by kozo »

Sumez wrote:As for Xanadu and Xanadu II I finally got around to buy them last year, and then what happens, a tiny rubber cog in the CD drive of my PC Engine breaks a tooth, and in the meantime prices of PCE CD Drives seem to have soared sky high! (anyone got a broken one for spare parts, get in touch with me :P)

And apparently neither of these games seem to work on the emulator I have.
Not to be picky, but this is a pet peeve of mine. :)

Xanadu and Legend of Xanadu are two different series. What you are talking about is LEGEND of Xanadu, for PC-Engine. Totally and utterly different set of games than Xanadu (and Xanadu Scenario II, Revival Xanadu, Xanadu Next, etc.).

Xanadu:

Legend of Xanadu II:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Hcxs4GEfPUM/S ... /xan29.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Hcxs4GEfPUM/S ... /xan29.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Hcxs4GEfPUM/S ... xan211.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Hcxs4GEfPUM/S ... /xan26.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Hcxs4GEfPUM/S ... /xan27.png

Silly naming on Falcom's part, for sure.

Have you tried using Magic Engine?

And just to make things more confusing: drauch, yes, both Legend of Xanadu games came as emulated versions for Windows in the Xanadu Next limited edition. Great deal, though it adds to the confusion between the two sets of games! :)

EDIT: Man, looking at that screenshot of LOX made me remember just how awesome those two games are (and the music.)
drauch

Post by drauch »

Is it just the limited edition Legend of Xanadu that came with the games? I'm not completely sure which version I have...If it is exclusive to one version, are you able to post a link showing the box? I've tried, but I do not read Japanese and can't find good enough info.
kozo

Post by kozo »

Yes, just the LE. It's a thick box.
Pic: http://pwned.com/gamecovers/pc/12881276 ... duNext.jpg

You'd know if you had LoX I&II, it's in a special DVD case inside of the Xanadu Next case. Cover art:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/gam ... eid=510049
drauch

Post by drauch »

Gah...I guess I don't. That is really disappointing :(. I knew about those games before Xanadu Next and thought they were really great looking, and when I found out they were with Xanadu Next AND a translation was in the works I got super excited...oh well, I imagine I can always play them on Magic Engine if it happens...or just learn Japanese :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

kozo wrote: Xanadu and Legend of Xanadu are two different series. What you are talking about is LEGEND of Xanadu, for PC-Engine. Totally and utterly different set of games than Xanadu (and Xanadu Scenario II, Revival Xanadu, Xanadu Next, etc.).
I know there's a billion different games with the "Xanadu" title, but yeah I thought you were talking about the "legend of" games. I'm not too into that series, the only one I actually played was "Faxanadu".
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

kozo wrote:Not to sound like a jaded neckbeard, but I fear "old Falcom" has jumped the shark, especially ditching the PC after 20+ years of dedication. :( Need moar Xanadu and Brandish, less cute, mass-market, anime rip-off stuff.
Exactly my sentiments.
I know for sure that with the "modern falcom" I won't get that feeling I got the first time I ran out of food in Revival Xanadu and the music started to distort.

The PC-8801, PC-98 and later the win PC boxes of their various games were full of awesome. We won't see them again. :cry:
(Oh and you forgot: needs moar Sorcerian.)

Pessimistic predictions aside, great post - agree pretty much on every thought about the different Ys entries. Too bad there's a lack of Brandish 3 in the other suggestions. :D

drauch wrote:Gah...I guess I don't. That is really disappointing :(. I knew about those games before Xanadu Next and thought they were really great looking, and when I found out they were with Xanadu Next AND a translation was in the works I got super excited...oh well, I imagine I can always play them on Magic Engine if it happens...or just learn Japanese :wink:
Sadly, the better one of the two won't be translated.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Hey Kozo, I am curious to hear from a Falcom expert what you thought of Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer? I have it sitting on my shelf, along with about 100 other rpgs, and I was wondering if its worth a play? I suppose I could just play it and find out, but I am too lazy :lol:

In case I got the name wrong, its the Super CD rpg they released. Pretty sure thats the name though
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

"The Legend of Xanadu" - every time I hear it, I wonder what they actually made that swishin'-clashin' sound with. Always been imagining some fancy SF weapon, like a whip of steel tape or something (never seen that video before, mind you).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:"The Legend of Xanadu" - every time I hear it, I wonder what they actually made that swishin'-clashin' sound with. Always been imagining some fancy SF weapon, like a whip of steel tape or something (never seen that video before, mind you).
Makes me think of a Devil Wears Prada song. Don't know why, haven't listened to them in over a year. lol.
kozo

Post by kozo »

dunpeal2064 wrote:what you thought of Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer?
I'm not a huge fan, personally. :) It's not a bad game, but it's super generic. Really bland graphics and story, gameplay is dull and bog-standard.
LOH2 is a step up, but a small one. The series doesn't really take off (IMO) until Legend of Heroes III, which is slow paced but unique, and Legend of Heroes IV, which is Falcom's best turn-based RPG.
Also, it's been said before, but avoid the PSP Namco Bandai ports - they are awful and get everything wrong!

ZOM, you make some good points. And Brandish 3 and Sorcerian are also quite awesome. :)
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

Sweet post Kozo! Mostly agree with your opinions. However Ys III has a special place in my heart because it was one of my first Turbo CD purchases.

Sad you didn't mention my Brandish 2 English patch!!!
http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1442/
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The Oath in Felghana (and Brave Fencer Musashi which I'm about to finish) make me wanna revisit I-Ninja. By what seems to be a mere coincidence (I-Ninja and Ys VI came out in 2003, thus neither is likely to be directly influenced by another), both display certain degree of kinship in the controls, the movesets and the marriage of chibi-ness and over the top graphic violence departments. It's friggin' amazing how I-Ninja schools just about EVERY western 3D platformer that isn't Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I mean, really.
The way out is cut off

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Haven't found any official announcement decipherable to me, but reportedly Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees (Vita) is going to be a remake of Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, gameplay-wise in the vein of Ys Seven.
The way out is cut off

Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Haven't found any official announcement decipherable to me, but reportedly Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees (Vita) is going to be a remake of Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, gameplay-wise in the vein of Ys Seven.
Nice. Not that I think the game needs a remake, it follows the vein of Ys I&II well and plays even better IMO. But being Ys Seven styled instead of the felghana stuff should keep it interesting. Hoping for a pc release as well :/

Also, looks like the Ys Origin translation is having its final beta tests and stuff, so anyone who wants to play that in english will be able to soon :)
undamned

Post by undamned »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:It's friggin' amazing how I-Ninja schools just about EVERY western 3D platformer that isn't Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I mean, really.
I picked this up ages ago and it's been sitting unplayed on my shelf :( New years resolution 2012: play games you haven't touched since you purchased them!
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Haven't found any official announcement decipherable to me, but reportedly Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees (Vita) is going to be a remake of Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, gameplay-wise in the vein of Ys Seven.
DAH! It seems every time a new Ys game is announced, it's for a platform I don't own (Ys Seven, and now this)!
Zaarock wrote:Also, looks like the Ys Origin translation is having its final beta tests and stuff, so anyone who wants to play that in english will be able to soon :)
I'm pumped for this! I purchase/played through/enjoyed the game around 2 years ago, but I'd love to know the storyline!
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yup, Siliconera has some screens and a trailer.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

undamned wrote:
maxlords wrote:I REALLY enjoyed Ys Ark of Napishtim for PS2
As big of an Ys fan as I am, I found the PS2 version a bit soulless. I've discussed this w/ folks who've played both the PS2 and PC version and they say that the PC version didn't seem this way. I'll have to throw it on the ol' Ys Box and see for myself.
-ud

The PS2 version of Napishtim really blows in comparison to its source material. Who the hell thought PS2 3D models would be better than the pre-rendered sprites? This also caused a reduction in the enemy count. Also, Konami did threaten to change the BGM until fans raised Cain about it. Thank God this latter thing didn't happen.

Hopefully Ys Celceta is being set up for a USA release also.

Bummer about Falcom quitting the PC market, but I'm hoping they start working on PS3/360 (i.e. porting up Ys 7 & Celceta).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gct

Post by gct »

Yeah! I played a fan-translation of Mask of the Sun recently, couldn't help but feel it is quite dated. I've not played Dawn of Ys before, so I will surely get a Vita if this game is released in English!

Eagerly awaiting the translation patch for Ys Origin... I'll have to get another XP partition set up ASAP!
gct

Post by gct »

Kind of off-topic, but it looks like an English patch for Xanadu Next may be coming soon also.

I have had both YsO and XN sitting on my shelf since January, would be nice to finally play them. Now if only I can figure out how to get them installed on Win7...
drauch

Post by drauch »

Man...that patch was supposed to come out months ago...I've got stuff to play in the mean time, but I hate when they say a beta is going to be leaked in a week and it turns into 3 months.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

The English patch for Origins just came out -- http://www.figlidigaucci.eu/
gct

Post by gct »

And an English patch for Xanadu Next was just released two days ago!

Damn, I haven't even started Origin yet!
undamned

Post by undamned »

gct wrote:I have had both YsO and XN sitting on my shelf since January, would be nice to finally play them.
Haha, I couldn't help myself and played through them a couple years ago. Now with English patches, I will have my action RPG selection for 2012! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Waaaah! Finally time to unseal my Ys Origin Limited Edition! :D Thanks for letting us know! Can I use my Saturn pad with Origin?

*edit*

Ys Origin + Satpad = win!

Need to get Ys VI and Xanadu Next for PC next.