Your new music thread **formerly 'Music Production Thread'

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
louisg

Re: Music Production Thread

Post by louisg »

Schrodinger's cat wrote:Any Max/MSP/Jitter or Max for Live users here? You can do some mindblowing stuff with it- check out some patches people have made on youtube.

Patches look a bit complicated at first, but the program is pretty easy to get the hang of thanks to its simple tutorials. You'll be addicted to making really cool stuff for days on end once you start. You can make synths, guitar processors, beat slicers, reverse delays, sequencers, theremins, video processors, etc. The list goes on and on.
Also don't forget there's Pure Data, which is a free MSP clone (started by the MSP guy). You can do some pretty awesome stuff with it (though I think I'd recommend real sequencers/VSTs over it for getting actual stuff done :)).

And, for anyone who'd like to learn DSP theory (how synthesizers work), Miller Puckette has written a textbook on the subject that is all Pure Data examples: http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm .. some patience required of course, but it's a fascinating subject
Humans, think about what you have done
flux

Post by flux »

louisg wrote:
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Any Max/MSP/Jitter or Max for Live users here? You can do some mindblowing stuff with it- check out some patches people have made on youtube.

Patches look a bit complicated at first, but the program is pretty easy to get the hang of thanks to its simple tutorials. You'll be addicted to making really cool stuff for days on end once you start. You can make synths, guitar processors, beat slicers, reverse delays, sequencers, theremins, video processors, etc. The list goes on and on.
Also don't forget there's Pure Data, which is a free MSP clone (started by the MSP guy). You can do some pretty awesome stuff with it (though I think I'd recommend real sequencers/VSTs over it for getting actual stuff done :)).

And, for anyone who'd like to learn DSP theory (how synthesizers work), Miller Puckette has written a textbook on the subject that is all Pure Data examples: http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm .. some patience required of course, but it's a fascinating subject
And text-based languages like Csound, SuperCollider, and ChucK.
I've played around with PD and the Max/MSP demo. I think they're really cool, but something about dragging boxes and lines around just doesn't quite click with me. Probably the same thing that makes me dislike sequencers- I prefer using the keyboard over the mouse. Being able to code patches in a text editor feels so much better to me.
I should actually play around with SC or ChucK again. It's been a while since I've used either. That would require some free time, though :(
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

More screwing around with old-ass MOD samples from the old Hornet archive: http://rydia.net/udder/mods/udd_lurker.mp3

Dem samples: ftp://ftp.scene.org/mirrors/hornet/music/samples/
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

louisg wrote: Also don't forget there's Pure Data, which is a free MSP clone (started by the MSP guy). You can do some pretty awesome stuff with it (though I think I'd recommend real sequencers/VSTs over it for getting actual stuff done :)).

That manual seems like a nice reference to have. Having it paired with PD and being able to tweak examples yourself makes it a lot more interesting than just plain reading a textbook on the subject. That's the really cool thing about the Max/PD... the help files for almost everything you want to learn is in the form of a patch you can manipulate or cut/paste into your own works.
flux wrote: And text-based languages like Csound, SuperCollider, and ChucK.
I've played around with PD and the Max/MSP demo. I think they're really cool, but something about dragging boxes and lines around just doesn't quite click with me. Probably the same thing that makes me dislike sequencers- I prefer using the keyboard over the mouse. Being able to code patches in a text editor feels so much better to me.
I should actually play around with SC or ChucK again. It's been a while since I've used either. That would require some free time, though :(
I get what you mean about the workflow. However, I don't consider myself to be much of a programmer, so using Max's graphical interface helps gets my ideas out much quicker than having to sit down and troubleshoot lines of code.

Csound is pretty good for rendering really complicated sounds. Want 1000 table lookup oscillators modulating each other through FM? It's almost just a matter of copy/paste. I do find it a bit lacking for real-time performance purposes though. It's a little too slow and unstable for me to be performing with it. Plus the community seems to be more comprised of academics talking about what math equations sound like through the program (they usually sound boring for the most part) than artists doing really creative stuff with it.

Supercollider seems a lot more stable for real time/DSP stuff but I've yet to do more than your basic mouse theremin patch. Getting back into it would take a lot of free time I seem to be lacking these days.
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

flux wrote:
Yeah. Most of the time I just make patches without any plan in mind. Most of the stuff never ends up in a song, but it's fun to play with my toys. I used VSTs for ages but it wasn't until I got a hardware synth that I really learned about sound synthesis and design.
Bar analogue synthesis most of the time I'm just twiddling knobs at random until I hear something I like. Much prefer hardware (apart from on my SY22, much easier to use SY Edit) and have had a fair few hardware synths in the past, but always have to sell them to fund getting another one. Would there be any advantage in getting a hardware FM synth over software? I've looked at a couple but the button menus and tiny LCDs make me think no.
Udderdude wrote:
TFM Maker is a good way to get started with FM. It's on this page : http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml
Thanks, downloaded. From a quick look I'm still as clueless, but I downloaded the tutorial video too.
louisg wrote: It's not too bad, but it takes a little practice. Start with a pair of operators first, and then slowly add more to get a feel for it. Just a quickie run-down: when one operator is at 1x frequency ("modulation") and the operator feeding into it is at 1x, you get sawish sounds. If the operator feeding into it is at 2x frequency, you get squareish sounds. Adding feedback makes the sound "sharper"-- you can get almost a pure saw, or almost a pure square, or noise, out of that. I think a common beginner mistake though is to make the operator that feeds into the other (the 'modulator') too high of a volume.. this makes it very tinny and hard to hear what you're doing.

BTW if you need a few FM VST, try VOPM
Thanks for explaining it. My problem with FM might be because a few of the introductions and tutorial's language on it baffle me a bit too, perhaps because I'm so used to using analogue emulations. Yours I can understand though :D

I downloaded VOPM a while back actually, but not given it much of a go yet. Reason being as I've been without monitors for several months now - the crappy PC speakers I have now drive me nuts, especially as having a mobile anywhere near them causes them to go doolah. Not handy when my PC is on a mobile broadband dongle. Mentioned I ordered some new monitors, buggers still haven't come nearly a month after paying so I've asked for a refund. I'm thinking I'm going to put my budget at a bit over £100 this time and get some slightly better (second hand) ones. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would need to be active and near-field as my pc room has a terrible shape.
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

Ended up getting a pair of Fostex PM 0.5 MKIIs for just over £100. Should be just what I need. Can't wait to get them and dive back into making some sweet sweet synth noises!

http://en.woodbrass.com/product_info.ph ... 222&af=833
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

Not production but DJ'n

I am a couple of days off getting my S4 controler. Just having a word with a mate who works in a music store trying to nab that 20% off :-p
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
cools

Post by cools »

Two days worth of screwing around: http://soundcloud.com/rogalian/nsl001

Just happy I've done something I'm pleased with for the first time in years...
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Nice!

That takes me back....pure old school sound.

Renoise?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Click here to watch Soundcloud completely fail to do anything .. :/
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Udderdude wrote:Click here to watch Soundcloud completely fail to do anything .. :/
I'm not sure why you seem to have so many problems with soundcloud?

I rarely have issue with it aside from trying to upload large wav files to my account occasionally.
X-Tech

(Summer Carnival 92) RECCA - remix - AD20XX HIENER

Post by X-Tech »

Here is my recca (SUMMER CARNIVAL 92) NES SHMUP - tune - remix.

Enjoy !

http://soundcloud.com/variax-operations ... x-hiener-2
Hardcore shmup gamer.
Shmup music fan.
Shmup creator.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Nice remix. Recca's soundtrack is one of the more interesting ones on the NES.
cools

Post by cools »

oli_lar wrote:Ended up getting a pair of Fostex PM 0.5 MKIIs for just over £100. Should be just what I need. Can't wait to get them and dive back into making some sweet sweet synth noises!
Decent monitors make a world of difference, enjoy them :D
jonny5 wrote:Nice!

Renoise?
Yup. Edit 1 is up - http://soundcloud.com/rogalian/nsl001-edit-1 - few small tweaks to the sequencing but a much less murky mix. Oh, and 20 more BPM :D
X-Tech wrote:Here is my recca (SUMMER CARNIVAL 92) NES SHMUP - tune - remix.

Enjoy !

http://soundcloud.com/variax-operations ... x-hiener-2
Mix seems a little drab compared to your other stuff on soundcloud which is all kinds of awesome - Demon Unit 0002 and Trumpet For All are superb.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

cools wrote:]
jonny5 wrote:Nice!

Renoise?
Yup. Edit 1 is up - http://soundcloud.com/rogalian/nsl001-edit-1 - few small tweaks to the sequencing but a much less murky mix. Oh, and 20 more BPM :D
Awesome! Just by kicking up the BPM and adjusting the mix its almost like a different track; way more trancy now and almost completely lost the old school vibe I got off the first mix.

Like when I heard the first mix it instantly reminded me of the early 90's rave stuff before hardcore and drum n bass branched off into seperate genres.

Nice work cools!

I'm currently working on a zombie track in Ableton. It's my first time using the software so I'm using this track to learn the ins and outs of it. Should have it done in a week or so hopefully; it's pretty much finished now, just tweaking and mixing at this point until I get it to where I'm happy with it.

I've gotta say though, I am hella impressed with Ableton. It's obviously quite a bit different from working with hardware, but in some ways it makes certain aspects that were a pain with hardware a lot easier and faster to work with.

Although I must admit, I'm not really looking forward to trying to upload a 7-10 minute long track to Soundcloud, even in MP3 format; Soundcloud seems to be fine with smaller files, but it often drops larger ones half way through. :?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I want to listen too, but nothing happen when I press play. Fucking crap site.

Edit: worked for me in IE. Sounds good, cools. Reminds me of the Blutonium stuff.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
cools

Post by cools »

emph: Enabled downloads :D

Ableton looks interesting. If I ever pick up some hardware I'll give it a shot :D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Cheers. I uploaded a couple of tracks of mine I had on the hdd: http://soundcloud.com/dj_emphatic/

All trance.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
X-Tech

Post by X-Tech »

Thx Cools, and Udderdude for comments.
I will produce more shmup inspired tracks most inspired by recca and with better sound. Still progress.
Hardcore shmup gamer.
Shmup music fan.
Shmup creator.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

This is typical. I post something... then crickets.
cools

Post by cools »

I commented on soundcloud :D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

cools wrote:I commented on soundcloud :D
A-ha! :lol: Thanks!

Edit: Also figured out why I was having issues with Soundcloud in FireFox. The Flashblock extension needs to allow soundcloud.com to use it's flash stuff.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Sorry Emph, I saw your post and then people started to show up for my meet.

Sounds really good! Do you mix with turntables or software?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jonny5 wrote:Do you mix with turntables or software?
Both. When I DJ that is. I picked up a cheap Traktor Final Scratch 1.54 a couple of years back. Works much better in Windows7 than in XP strangely enough. Too bad Microsoft put a stop to drag and drop in Windows7 though, as it's the main song import solution for the software.

But lately I haven't had room to keep my decks hooked up, so I tend to make mixes (for my own listening pleasure first and foremost) in Mixmeister Fusion.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

emphatic wrote: Too bad Microsoft put a stop to drag and drop in Windows7 though, as it's the main song import solution for the software.
ummmm, what?

I'm on 7, and iz steady draggin' and droppin', ya heard?

Shoot me a Pm if you want to discuss. 8)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

New track is up on my Soundcloud account. It's my first track done in Ableton Live, so I used it to learn the ins and outs of the program.

This track is going to be part of an album I'm working on called "Songs in the key of 'Z'". A little something for the zombie headz! 8)

Feedback is appreciated.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jonny5 wrote:Feedback is appreciated.
That flanger sound totally give me a 80's slasher/zombie vibe. I haven't really watched much of that, but I saw a documentary once on Dario Argento, and this reminds me of the music featured in that. I think the drums sounded a bit dry, but I don't know what sound you're going for. I think it would sound better with some hall reverb on the snares.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

That's Soundcloud's fault; it kinda messes with EQ levels and dynamics a bit, and it seems to bring the bass up higher than it should be. It sounds way better in .wav format, I might even try uploading that version instead to see if it sounds better. I just listened to it myself through Soundcloud and it does sound kinda off. :?

I'm going to try and upload the .wav now, would you mind downloading it and listening to it straight and not through Soundcloud and let me know if it's any different/better. In fact, it's funny that you mention the drums sounding dry, because when I was mixing it I was actually worried they were to wet, so something's definitely up there.... :|
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I have a ton of old improv jams recorded on cassettes from band rehearsals over a 6 year period that I'd like to transfer to my computer and edit. Anyone have any recommendations for ripping cassettes to wav and a decent program to edit them in?
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

You could either use the line in on your computer or get an audio interface and then just record them into Audacity, it's a free audio program that also has some DAW functions. It's super easy to use. Then you can tweak the recordings and re-work them however you like.

I've uploaded the lossless .wav file to my Soundcloud now, it sounds a lot better than the uploaded MP3, at least on my end. It sounds pretty much exactly as it should now.

I know its long but make sure to listen to the whole song, it changes a few times.

Downloads are enabled on both, 320kbps MP3 is like 15mb and the uncompressed .wav is like 65mb. If you like the song, download it and listen to it straight, some of the subtleties are lost through Soundcloud.