The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ryu

Re: Catherine (PS3/360) US release in Summer

Post by ryu »

all i want to know if the game is actually scary and or disturbing

if so atlus got my money. i haven't heard anything about it being any scary yet, though
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
njiska

Post by njiska »

I can tell you being chased by that giant hand was exhilarating if nothing else.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

looks like a fun action-puzzle-platform... thing, in my books! wasn't big on persona, not big on the hype around ATLUS' persona team, but i think i'll be able to get into this.
drauch

Post by drauch »

ryu wrote:all i want to know if the game is actually scary and or disturbing

if so atlus got my money. i haven't heard anything about it being any scary yet, though
I don't think it's going to be scary per se, but if anthropomorphic evil sheep aren't disturbing then you're life is odd.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

An English dub has pretty much been confirmed.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/tr ... catherine/
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Rebel Ninja wrote:An English dub has pretty much been confirmed.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/tr ... catherine/
Excellent. Baker's a good voice actor.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

So you get...

The Game
Soundtrack CD
Artbook
T-Shirt
Boxers
Pillowcase
...and a Pizza Box to hold it all.

CLICK TO PRE-ORDER 360 VERSION @ AMAZON (aff.link)
CLICK TO PRE-ORDER PS3 VERSION @ AMAZON (aff.link)

Oh yea... and free shipping!
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

iquantum wrote:Wow :cry: I can't wait to buy my own PS3.
You better be careful about your identity, in that case.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
njiska

Post by njiska »

Well i just swapped the editions on my Amazon pre-order. Looks like a rather nice LE.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

The Good:

First let me start by saying I absolutely love the dark yet realistic atmosphere the SMT series has trademarked within it's games. I feel right at home, I'm already sucked into a familiar place. The aesthetics are gorgeous, the cut-scenes both animated and in-game graphics are done very well. The music is very fitting and if you enjoy music from any of the SMT games, you'll enjoy this. It's a bit more "cafe"-ish but still holds an upbeat. The game gives you a good amount of freedom outside of the puzzle sequences, you can wonder around the pizza parlor, play an arcade game, even change songs on a juke box. (In fact I'm pretty sure you unlock more songs on the jukebox by beating stages in the arcade game!) Besides wondering around a pizza parlor, you'll also be visiting a confessional booth and talking to random sheep. The game has great pacing from actual gameplay, cut-scenes, and advancing the story through TXTing on your phone. Your phone also happens to be one way to save your game which I found to be kind of cool.

As far as the actual gameplay or meat of the product goes, it's awesome! Trying to make your way up the tower of babel is not only fun, it's very addictive. You'll die but you won't give up because you want to see what is next. Let's not mention how cool the tower looks. It reminds me of the Shadowman games in terms of visual nightmarish appearance.

The Bad:

Despite praising the gameplay above, this is where the game suffers the most. No it's not how hard it is. (the rumors are true!) It's because the controls suck. Point blank, I can't even begin to count the times Vincent did something stupid "on accident" that just wasted a life. In a game where one wrong move means win or lose, I have to question what the hell atlus was thinking by mapping nearly every function to a single button. You'll want Vincent to jump up a block, instead he'll push it off the edge and your screwed. You'll want Vincent to climb up, nope he just decided to suicide for no apparent reason. You'll want him to go left, he'll go right. You want him to go up, he'll go right. You'll become increasingly frustrated with how bad Vincent controls. The thing is, in Rapunzel the arcade game within the main game, the control is nearly flawless so I don't understand what exactly got lost during the transition.

The Ugly:

The game isn't out in english yet, I can't understand this story. Such a shame, it really draws you in and makes you wish you could! (not holding this against the game in terms or rating) They could of pulled a Bayonetta here. That's it really, there isn't much of anything extremely negative to say. :)

Final:

I would give the game an 8.5 out of 10.

Great gameplay, great atmosphere, what I'm assuming is a great story. Just everything you can ask for. I'm dinging a point for control issues and half a point because as good as it is, it's not flawless.

EDIT: Post writing this, I realized you can play the game with an arcade stick to improve control.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

^ Thanks for the info dude. Shame to hear it handles like shit, but that's just 3D for ya. The rest sounds ok. Might pick up a 2nd hand copy when one comes around.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Elixir

Post by Elixir »

The story is the core of the game. Don't be fooled by the difficult puzzles, they're there simply to impede progress and make you appreciate the upcoming part of the story.

IIRC the developer wrote about the difficulty being deliberate.

I especially liked the confession room's questions and their online influence. It pretty much means you're never able to use a walkthrough and breeze through the game as the "correct" answers change based on others.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Pretty awesome LE package! But why oh why does the t-shirt and pants have to be in a 'large' size? Are Atlus fans really all fat?
Jon

Post by Jon »

MX7 wrote:Pretty awesome LE package! But why oh why does the t-shirt and pants have to be in a 'large' size? Are Atlus fans really all fat?
It always seems to go this way with promo t-shirts, be thankful its not XL or larger. :(

Over sized clothing aside, the LE looks like it could be worth picking up.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

MX7 wrote:Pretty awesome LE package! But why oh why does the t-shirt and pants have to be in a 'large' size? Are Atlus fans really all fat?
Fat?

It's too small.
lol
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Elixir wrote:The story is the core of the game. Don't be fooled by the difficult puzzles, they're there simply to impede progress and make you appreciate the upcoming part of the story.

IIRC the developer wrote about the difficulty being deliberate.

You're recalling incorrectly actually. The developer wrote that the difficulty was due to the developers getting too good at the game during the design process.

However, while the game is difficult ...it is far from impossible. I haven't finished yet but every time I die, I try to figure out something I could do different to advance. Really, the difficulty makes the game much more rewarding. (regardless of story) Every time I finished a new section, I would clench my fist and shout YES!!! (I play on normal-unpatched for the record)

...as for the game being scary, sorry, it's not Fatal Frame. seeing a giant butt with teeth and eyes is kind of creepy. (especially when it shoots out a "rain" of hearts. lol
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

apple arcade wrote:You're recalling incorrectly actually. The developer wrote that the difficulty was due to the developers getting too good at the game during the design process.
http://cathy.atlus.co.jp/blog/2011/03/post-35.html

Katsura mentions the difficulty's to give people a sense of accomplishment in progression like "those days". Sounds deliberate to me, even if they created an easy patch.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/cath ... s%3Bvideos

English voice footage. I preferred Katherine's JP voice but the rest I'm ok with.

Apparently they messed with the difficulty even further for western release.

cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

According to Atlus staff, the easier difficulty is still optional.

I hope.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Elixir wrote:http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/cath ... s%3Bvideos

English voice footage. I preferred Katherine's JP voice but the rest I'm ok with.

But have they stated if English is OPTIONAL or just forced? This is what will decide whether or not I buy this.

EDIT: Looks like they've fairly stated that they are NOT including dual audio. Going to cancel my pre-order now.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

maxlords

Post by maxlords »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:

But have they stated if English is OPTIONAL or just forced? This is what will decide whether or not I buy this.

EDIT: Looks like they've fairly stated that they are NOT including dual audio. Going to cancel my pre-order now.

See I don't understand that...unless you speak Japanese? Personally I prefer the English voice acting....it makes games more accessible. I've never understood why anyone wouldn't unless it's an extremely poor translation.
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
njiska

Post by njiska »

maxlords wrote:See I don't understand that...unless you speak Japanese? Personally I prefer the English voice acting....it makes games more accessible. I've never understood why anyone wouldn't unless it's an extremely poor translation.
It all depends on the quality of the voice work. Usually I prefer the original language, but there are exceptions. Cowboy Bebop i prefer to watch in English because I like Spike's VO better. DOA I perfer to play in JP with English subs because the English VO sucks. With film it's always the original VO that's best, but with games I don't think it matters either way unless one is truly bad.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

The dubbing is what made me back away from ordering this game.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

JP voices win every time. It's how it was meant to be. The way the tone fall, high-pitched or down-pitched, and the voice itself. When developers of anime and games make a game they always have in mind how this and that character sounds, and they make it work. Take Serah from FF XIII for example. She sounds much more innocent and fragile with the JP voice actor. And Griffith's voice in Berserk. Just perfect. No American studio can replicate that.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

Exactly. The intonation and inflections are part of the sound of the speech. Just as I dislike US movies dubbed in Spanish and vice-versa, I wouldn't watch Japanese movies dubbed in English. Looks as if I will be spending the money intended for this game on an import 8)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Looks like Europe will be getting this too.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I really, really hate Atlus and Cave trying to lead me unto temptation, into sucky consoles.

Had heard some checkpoints might be added in the localization.

Chris did a review of this a couple weeks back. You should read it. Chris is a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything. And by that, I mean he actually looks at things from a design point of view, not the typical vapid anon point of view.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I know some of you have already posted your reviews, but I just played the demo and although I enjoyed it, I worry that basically this game will be three things: cut scenes, texting on your cell phone, box game. Is there something else here I'm missing? Honestly, I don't think the box game could hold my interest for more than 30 minutes (and that's actually a stretch.)
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Like many of you, I'm think the voice
acting could have been much better and it's bullshit that dual audio is not an option.
Regardless, I will be buying Tuesday. El Shaddai was scheduled to be released the same day but
they've pushed that back 3 weeks. :(