The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Drum
Banned User

Re: Catherine (PS3/360)

Post by Drum »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Is it too much to ask to make a few HD RPGs instead of what is essentially a glorified puzzle game?
Yes.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

mesh control wrote:Demon's Souls, heard of it?
Demon's Souls is made by From Software....was only published by Atlus in the US. In other countries it was published by other companies.
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

:oops:
lol
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Horror and tits never go out of style.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
njiska

Post by njiska »

Really like the style of the demo and the puzzle stages are fun, but this is definitely a game where you need to know the language to appreciate it. Hoping an Asian region version with English subs is released before too long.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Really like the demo. Wish I understood what was being said. Going to still buy this and again when in english.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Elixir wrote:There's the whole dating sim text message love meter thing going on, so it isn't import friendly. Sorry guys.
I don't think I've ever seen someone use the phrase "import friendly." What do you mean? Saying that most English-speaking people wouldn't understand the game or that its just not something that will lend itself to be translated/brought overseas? I definitely agree on the part about most people not understanding it, if that's what you meant. The dialog is often pretty quick and very laden with different Japanese dialects and slang, and also the fact that you have to read the text in the e-mails pretty carefully sometimes. But anyway, just wanting to know what you meant by it.

I may buy this when it comes out, but I'm not going to pre-order, cause even though I like the puzzle elements quite a bit, I'm wondering if there are other facets as well besides the relationship stuff.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Elixir wrote:There's the whole dating sim text message love meter thing going on, so it isn't import friendly. Sorry guys.
I don't think I've ever seen someone use the phrase "import friendly." What do you mean? Saying that most English-speaking people wouldn't understand the game or that its just not something that will lend itself to be translated/brought overseas? I definitely agree on the part about most people not understanding it, if that's what you meant. The dialog is often pretty quick and very laden with different Japanese dialects and slang, and also the fact that you have to read the text in the e-mails pretty carefully sometimes. But anyway, just wanting to know what you meant by it.
A bunch of games are import friendly, mainly.. shmups, rhythm games, that sort of thing. Usually games where the language barrier doesn't stop you from enjoying the game.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
MachineAres 1CC

Elixir wrote:A bunch of games are import friendly, mainly.. shmups, rhythm games, that sort of thing. Usually games where the language barrier doesn't stop you from enjoying the game.
That's what I figured, but keep in mind a lot of people who say they will play this will buy it merely because it is by the makers of Persona and they're so blindly obsessed with it that they don't even care if they can't get past the first level and don't understand a word of Japanese.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I wouldn't say that Catherine's too hard to figure out to importers. Depends on how open minded and determined they are. After all, it'S basically an instant entry into a game that hasn't had a localization announcement as of yet. For some people, that's a big thing. All of the text messages are scripted, and there'll no doubt be a guide posted on Gamefaqs soon after release.

In any case, you had PS3 owners importing Tales of Vesperia and playing through that, despite never being localized, even though there's an English 360 version.. so importing's nothing new. Although that I don't quite understand myself, I mean, if there's an English version readily available, don't let your console fanboyism take control of your common sense.

I'm still on the fence about this shit. The game's a puzzle game, which I hate, but the game's also really unique and so far I'm liking the characters and, well, everything that isn't the puzzle game. Since February's full of stuff for me already (DFK BL, MMP/PS and iM@S2) I'm not sure if I should just wait for a price drop or not.

Whatever happens, I'm still curious to see what else this game has. I see some combat and adventure elements in there too, so maybe it isn't all just as straight forward as the demo portrays.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Downloading the demo atm. Got the game in preorder.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

apple arcade wrote:Really like the demo. Wish I understood what was being said. Going to still buy this and again when in english.
Found a subbed version of the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvLPcly3Eas

Story segments start at 5:10.

Cliff notes-

Cafe:
Katherine has been with Vincent since they were kids. He's 32 now.
She says her parents are bothering her about marriage.
She says he looks tired, he says it's because of work.
He asks if she's had dreams about death; she says she's had dreams about killing.
(He says that's just like her.)

Bar:
Vincent says Katherine is bugging him about marriage.
Jonathan's a bachelor; says he's waiting for the right person, and won't get married to anyone else.
He's seeing girls regularly, and won't commit to any of them. If he can't find the right one, he won't marry.
Jonathan says his divorced friend was found dead by his mother.
Vincent's been having horrifying dreams lately, he used to have them when he was young too.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

MachineAres 1CC

Rebel Ninja wrote:Rumour of a US release

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/28/ga ... 26th-2011/
Good god, if it happens I sure hope its subbed (not dubbed) and not censored.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Atlus tends to be pretty good about that sort of thing these days - of course, I unfortunately wasn't impressed with the demo for the game, so it's not likely to matter much to me either way.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Been playing the PS3 version lately. It's an excellent game.

Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

I red somewhere they have confiremd the West release now with places taking preorders for summer 2011.
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
Rebel Ninja

Re: Catherine (PS3/360) US release in Summer

Post by Rebel Ninja »

Lordstar wrote:I red somewhere they have confiremd the West release now with places taking preorders for summer 2011.
You're right!

http://www.catherinethegame.com/
njiska

Post by njiska »

Rebel Ninja wrote:
Lordstar wrote:I red somewhere they have confiremd the West release now with places taking preorders for summer 2011.
You're right!

http://www.catherinethegame.com/
Day before my birthday. Oh man has my day been made with this news.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

This game seems like such a hype machine. "Oh my god, it's sexy, dark, and edgy! This never occurs in videogames, I must buy it!"

Come on people. Sure it looks like a pretty interesting horror story, but is anyone honestly interested in the game specifically because of that? How about the gameplay? Is anyone seriously interested in how well the game will actually -play-?

I get the feeling that everyone is excited about it only because it's risque.
MachineAres 1CC

Blackbird wrote:This game seems like such a hype machine. "Oh my god, it's sexy, dark, and edgy! This never occurs in videogames, I must buy it!"

Come on people. Sure it looks like a pretty interesting horror story, but is anyone honestly interested in the game specifically because of that? How about the gameplay? Is anyone seriously interested in how well the game will actually -play-?

I get the feeling that everyone is excited about it only because it's risque.
This is what I've been trying to say on many various sites that I go to and everyone lashes out when I say stuff like that, probably just because they don't want to admit that's the only reason they're interested in it. That, and/or because its made by the Persona team, and people shit their pants over boring J-RPGs or anything associated with them.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Yeah, people didn't even know what the game was about and they were going crazy already. Can't see what's so special about this one.

Watched a demo playthrough on youtube and wasn't at all impressed. So the game is all about climbing blocks to reach the door at the top?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I like climbing blocks in video games, can't wait.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Rob wrote:I like climbing blocks in video games, can't wait.
"Catherine: It's like Mario but with erotic fanservice!" Ok, maybe I'm interested now.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Hell yes. I was hoping we would get this news. Hopefully they keep the cool cover designs and don't dumb them down for America. (look at the 3rd Birthday's JP VS US cover art. ewwwwww)
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
MachineAres 1CC

drauch wrote:Hell yes. I was hoping we would get this news. Hopefully they keep the cool cover designs and don't dumb them down for America. (look at the 3rd Birthday's JP VS US cover art. ewwwwww)
The original covers are confirmed on the official website, or so it seems. They show the exact same covers on there.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ah, thank ye.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

drauch wrote:Hell yes. I was hoping we would get this news. Hopefully they keep the cool cover designs and don't dumb them down for America. (look at the 3rd Birthday's JP VS US cover art. ewwwwww)
Huh? I thought the US got the same cover art as Japan did for The 3rd Birthday?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh, shit. Just checked it out again. Looks like they changed it. ANYWAY, you know what I mean :wink:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

It would be nice if this came to PAL it probably never will and even if it did itll be so long away that some twat will give out plot spoilers

I know altus are just US-JPN how often is it for 3rd party euro publishers to pick their games up for localisation?