The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ruldra

Re: Catherine (PS3/360) Winter 2010

Post by Ruldra »

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Monster design is intriguing. Might be an interesting game after all.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

yup, seen it - I like his fucked'up nightmares. a lot.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Game's gonna be craaaazy.

Youtube'd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEQ4SXNWTbA
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201009/11033165.html

This wasn't mentioned here. Katherine is the bruenette, age 32. Katherine and Vincent are long time lovers and old friends, but Vincent cheated on her with Catherine, the blonde, age 22.

Anyway, day one purchase for me. Since it's only 20 hours long and choices determine the ending, it keeps reminding me of a cross between a visual novel and Heavy Rain. Looks like there's going to be a lot of replay value, if that really is the case.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Rebel Ninja

Re: Catherine (PS3/360)

Post by Rebel Ninja »

Release date confirmed for 17th of February 2011 in Japan.

http://cathy.atlus.co.jp/blog/2010/10/post-10.html
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

If they can pull it off and it holds its intrigue for 20 hours I might roll the dice and pick this up when it comes out. I'm interested in why Atlus decided to go as edgy as possible with at least the subject material.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I decided long ago I'm buying this so I'm avoiding all the new media as to avoid any (even potential) spoilers.

In an article on Siliconera, Atlus apparently stated that they expect to sell ~150k copies of this. That actually seems a little low in my mind as an expectation for a next-gen RPG. I imagine it wasn't cheap to develop...

Note that I don't where those numbers are for precisely, I _think_ but am not sure that they're just talking about Japan... which I suppose on reflection is a reasonable expectation in a place where game sales have largely plummeted (if you're not Pokemon).
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
"You're at shmups.com. We're all psychics full of righteous indignation!"
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

Absolute day 1 purchase on Japanese release. Cannot wait.

Looks absolutely crazy
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

dcharlie wrote:Absolute day 1 purchase on Japanese release. Cannot wait.

Looks absolutely crazy
I've already preordered this in my mind.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
xris

Post by xris »

I watched the most recent gameplay vid for this, and I'll say that some of it looks interesting. Kinda what I expected to be honest, a bunch of mad dashing through puzzle type levels of nightmare doom. I'm excited about the story line for this, in a twisted kind of way I find this semi relatable. It's always when you are being pressured to be serious about a relationship that a young nubile girl comes along and fucks everything up for you. I'm really happy that there is going to be a demo for this, at least I'll be able to give it a look as we wait and see if this gets a localization.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

I hope this gets ported....
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

I really enjoy the general SMT aesthetics, though the only game I ever finished was Nocturne. My backlog is overflowing as it is. Regardless, I'll pick this up if/when it has a US release. When I explain the concept to people I'm surprised that they find it more interesting rather than creepy. Maybe Inception has changed the way Americans look at dream-themed works.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
drauch

Post by drauch »

So...is this getting an American release, or does it have English subs, or do you all just know Japanese? :oops:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Lots of people are presuming that it's getting a US release, but those people are also choosing to ignore the fact that Atlus US disappeared into a hole last year and only popped their heads out once or twice to publish guaranteed sellers. Given how conservative the company became over the last twelve months - especially when compared to their activity in the previous couple of years - I wouldn't consider anything to be certain.

That's leaving aside the thematic content of Catherine, which obviously presents its own difficulties for any US publisher.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Lots of people are presuming that it's getting a US release, but those people are also choosing to ignore the fact that Atlus US disappeared into a hole last year and only popped their heads out once or twice to publish guaranteed sellers. Given how conservative the company became over the last twelve months - especially when compared to their activity in the previous couple of years - I wouldn't consider anything to be certain.

That's leaving aside the thematic content of Catherine, which obviously presents its own difficulties for any US publisher.
Yeah, Atlus in general got bought out by a bigger entertainment company so I imagine there was quite a bit of re-structuring and the US division seemed to go underground. Everything you mentioned is basically what I would've said.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Yeah, I'm more than a little worried about Atlus USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1rxqXFzoss

Preview 4.

I already preordered the import.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It's quite doubtful Atlus would pass up the opportunity to localize their sole current generation game. If you're worried about the rating, it's CERO C, which is 15+. Just like Persona 3 and 4, it would receive an ESRB T rating.

No More Heroes for PS3 was censored, and in more recent times, so was Disgaea 4. I guess if any censoring is going to be done, it's for the PS3 version, as Sony seem to really dislike having CERO D/CERO Z games on their console. In comparison, the 360 has a lot more, and even seems to welcome it.

cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

P3 and 4 both got an M rating.

This has explicit sexual(implied) content and people being gored and exploded into bloody chunks.

No way this won't get an M.
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

I was just browsing Play-Asia and I noticed that even the 360 version is not "available in my territory". This is the first 360 game I have seen with this notice on Play-Asia.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

This game is an absolute must have. Gameplay is like nothing I own, it's by the SMT and seems interesting. It has so much win on it's side. I love being this excited about an upcoming game! it doesn't happen very often these days.
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

The demo is out on PSN and LIVE. Has anyone played it yet?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'll have to give it a shot on my 360 once Silver Hobos like myself are allowed in...assuming I can figure out what's going on.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Rebel Ninja wrote:The demo is out on PSN and LIVE. Has anyone played it yet?
what region? It does not appear to be on US PSN. I assume it hasn't been translated into English yet. I'm probably stupid for even looking.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, you need a Japanese XBL or PSN account to get at it.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Demo consists of 2 stages, both of which are puzzle games, which indicates that the entire game is just a puzzle game. There's the whole dating sim text message love meter thing going on, so it isn't import friendly. Sorry guys.

Anyway I probably won't be buying it, unless there's actually more to it than what the demo's actually letting on.

Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Didn`t like what I saw of the game. It`s been more than five years since the start of the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and the only thing Atlus has managed to produce in all this time is this strange thing.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Didn`t like what I saw of the game. It`s been more than five years since the start of the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and the only thing Atlus has managed to produce in all this time is this strange thing.
Uhhh.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Drum wrote:
Jonathan Ingram wrote:Didn`t like what I saw of the game. It`s been more than five years since the start of the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and the only thing Atlus has managed to produce in all this time is this strange thing.
Uhhh.
What "Uhhh"? Where are Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner and Persona? PSX and PS2 had plenty of these. Is it too much to ask to make a few HD RPGs instead of what is essentially a glorified puzzle game?
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Demon's Souls, heard of it?
lol