The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MachineAres 1CC

Re: Catherine (PS3/360) US release in Summer

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Nico87 and xbl0x180, you guys hit the nail on the head. Dubbing can and often does ruin games and movies.. And yes, maxlords, I do understand Japanese, but that is beside the point in this case. You're basically just getting a second-hand product that has been altered from what the creators intended. If they wanted the voices in English, they would've made them so in the original version of the game, like they do with the Resident Evil games, most of Suda51's games, and a number of other Japanese-developed games.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

:roll:
lol
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Some srs business goin on in here.

I'm not quite so picky about the localization of games, especially when it comes to dubbing, so I am looking forward to this coming out tomorrow.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Started playing the US version, reached the third night in barely under an hour.
So far I'm loving this and can already feel myself getting fatter and fatter.
Def. will pick this up once it gets released in the third reich.
Icarus

Re: Catherine (PS3/360) European release confirmed

Post by Icarus »

Does the US version work on a J360?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Picked up my preordered American region 360 Catherine game from my local Gamestop just a few minutes ago. Was pleasantly surprised to see both the OST & artbook bundled together with the game itself. I thought that the bonus goodies were just an Amazon.com preorder exclusive but that isn't the case here.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Icarus wrote:Does the US version work on a J360?
Nope.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

No spoilers please. I've only obtained one ending in the JP version.

Is the soundtrack and art book the same as the JP preorder bonus?
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
PC Engine Fan X!

For Elixir,

Could you post a pic of what the cool JPN Catherine preorder goodies look like?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I don't actually have the first print any more, I gave my copy to Etrian and bought the reprint. But here's some pictures, anyway:

There's also a whole bunch of store-specific telephone cards but I'm not really into that sort of thing.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Elixir wrote:No spoilers please. I've only obtained one ending in the JP version.

Is the soundtrack and art book the same as the JP preorder bonus?
The OST, yes. The artbook, no. The US one is way better.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

iconoclast wrote:
Nope.
:'(

I'm guessing the UK version will be region locked too then. Is there by some magical chance an Asian version that has Japanese dialogue, works on a JX360, and, crucially, has English text? A quick glance at Play Asia seems to suggest 'no' :'( x2
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

MX7 wrote:
iconoclast wrote:
Nope.
:'(

I'm guessing the UK version will be region locked too then. Is there by some magical chance an Asian version that has Japanese dialogue, works on a JX360, and, crucially, has English text? A quick glance at Play Asia seems to suggest 'no' :'( x2
Nope. For us 360 peeps, we're f***ed either with region-locking from atlus or some crap dub from atlus. It's probably best to find some kind of fan translation file that you can download into a flash drive or something. I've heard of this being done with some of those comic games on the J360...
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

The dubbing is excellent.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

No dual language option, no care.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

xbl0x180 wrote: or some crap dub from atlus.
Obviously everyone has their opinion, but considering you don't like dubbing in general, I thought this might be misleading to anyone that came into this thread to get some good feedback, and that doesn't have something against dubbing in general.

It isn't crap dubbing, but there is no dual language option that would allow you to enjoy the game as the artist intended, by reading everything that they wanted spoken. :roll:
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
xbl0x180 wrote: or some crap dub from atlus.
Obviously everyone has their opinion, but considering you don't like dubbing in general, I thought this might be misleading to anyone that came into this thread to get some good feedback, and that doesn't have something against dubbing in general.

It isn't crap dubbing, but there is no dual language option that would allow you to enjoy the game as the artist intended, by reading everything that they wanted spoken. :roll:
Dubbing is almost the equivalent of colourising black and white movies or modifying a movie (i.e., pan-and-scan); it defaces the sound of the original (and is not the way you mockingly explained. at. all.). In essence, the original work has been altered/stunted and the result is a substandard product.

Unless, of course, it was originally intended to be released in various languages at the same time. Example: "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" was filmed without sound and dubbed post-production, and the movie premiered pretty much concurrently with the Italian dub. In some instances of dubbing in various languages, a few of the actors did their own voices in both languages.

In short, atlus can shove their sub-par game 8)
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Haters will hate. The dub is phenomenal IMO. Absolutely amazing. Game is like crack too...can't stop playing it! Hard as fuck in parts tho, even on normal. I'm avoiding using the backup much too.
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems Cave isn't the only one getting into overpriced game-themed Zippo lighters.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

just saw this game today. i heard the puzzles were pretty tough. can anyone speak to the gameplay? is it awesome? does it suck?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There are demos on XBLA and PSN if you want to try it yourself. Personally I found the puzzle controls too loose for my liking, but most people seem to be enjoying the game more than I did.

EDIT: First-week U.S. sales were apparently around 200K.
PC Engine Fan X!

That link that Bulletmagnet linked showing the PS3 Catherine artwork on the cake is edible using a special photo printer modified to get the job done right the first time. It ain't cheap but well worth it if you want a cool cake with edible artwork or photo on it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BulletMagnet wrote:EDIT: First-week U.S. sales were apparently around 200K.
Pretty surprising. Guess them animu boobs really do sell.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

BulletMagnet wrote:There are demos on XBLA and PSN if you want to try it yourself. Personally I found the puzzle controls too loose for my liking, but most people seem to be enjoying the game more than I did.

EDIT: First-week U.S. sales were apparently around 200K.

Did you play it with the stick or the d-pad? It's crap on the stick but the d-pad is tight.
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

maxlords wrote:Did you play it with the stick or the d-pad? It's crap on the stick but the d-pad is tight.
I'm pretty sure I used the d-pad - granted, this was on a 360, so that probably didn't help a heckuva lot, but it definitely wasn't just the hardware, it was the way Vincent's programmed to move. Other people have complained about control looseness too, but for them it wasn't enough to turn them off the game: in my own case, I had a strong feeling that eventually I'd get too frustrated with it to finish, and decided to skip it.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
maxlords wrote:Did you play it with the stick or the d-pad? It's crap on the stick but the d-pad is tight.
I'm pretty sure I used the d-pad - granted, this was on a 360, so that probably didn't help a heckuva lot, but it definitely wasn't just the hardware, it was the way Vincent's programmed to move. Other people have complained about control looseness too, but for them it wasn't enough to turn them off the game: in my own case, I had a strong feeling that eventually I'd get too frustrated with it to finish, and decided to skip it.
Never underestimate the power of animu bewbs 8)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Babel is fun, hard as hell though.

iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Elixir wrote:Babel is fun, hard as hell though.
I'm working on Obelisk every now and then. It's hard, but I'd say it's hard for all the wrong reasons. Get a bomb (or two, or three) in a bad spot? Dead. Monster block moves to the wrong spot? Dead. Mystery blocks turns into a bomb at the worst time possible? Dead. There's way too much randomness, to the point where it takes more luck than skill to beat it.

Altar and Menhir were much better. Axis Mundi seems better too, but I haven't played it yet.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As some of you probably suspected it looks like the 200K number mentioned earlier on was misleading, though it was still a good launch for Atlus.
ryu

Post by ryu »

maxlords wrote:The dub is phenomenal IMO.
i played the demo at a friend's and thought it was rather bad. can't even call it 'okay' because the main characters' VA is absolutely atrocious when he's not shouting.

game kicks ass though. i'm definitely going to buy this sometime.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.