The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Post by Blinge »

cj iwakura wrote:they added cringey modern tropes like blushing portraits and stuff. Kaneko would be flipping in the broom closet if they ever let him out.
Have literally not noticed. There's been no reason for anyone to blush tbh.

Only that one guy who perves on demonesses but that was funny.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Blinge wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:they added cringey modern tropes like blushing portraits and stuff. Kaneko would be flipping in the broom closet if they ever let him out.
Have literally not noticed. There's been no reason for anyone to blush tbh.

Only that one guy who perves on demonesses but that was funny.
Zelenin has one.

I kind of like that classic SJ had portraits that basically just told you everything you needed to know, variable portraits weren't necessary.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It really strikes me as a non issue.
I'll look out for Zelenin

But as with most women I interact with, i'm yet to see her blush.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Maybe it's more of an issue if you've played the original version and can notice the difference?

As for the difficulty, the original version remained rather difficult throughout the entire game but I still thought it got a bit easier after you spend some time in a new dungeon. That's not to say the game becomes downright easy-peasy but I think it goes like this :
-> Discover a new dungeon : high difficulty due to unknown enemies and dungeon layout
-> Map the area and enemies, make the plot progress a bit within the dungeon : medium difficulty as you get used to the enemies and level up a bit
-> Find the boss : very high difficulty, and you have to set up a plan/strategy
Rinse and repeat.

In any case, it's a fantastic game. I really like the Antarctica/sci-fi set-up which is a very unusual choice for a mainline SMT game but that works very well. The cast having adult characters instead of animu teenagers is very believable for such a mission and that's a great match for the Kaneko art style.
Blinge wrote:Only that one guy who perves on demonesses but that was funny.
This guy's sidequest was so damn funny lol. What makes it even funnier is the meta aspect of it, as I am sure there are plenty of fans that are just like him.
MX7 wrote:I have such a love for vanilla Str range Journey. It feels like a Super Famicom Megaten done right.
When playing it, I was often thinking its engine and dual screen set-up would be really perfect for SMT 1&2 remakes! What a missed opportunity, but SJ itself is already very good anyway.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Does analyzing demons do anything other than just get their source?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Blinge wrote:It really strikes me as a non issue.
I'll look out for Zelenin

But as with most women I interact with, i'm yet to see her blush.
Lol, you're in for a world of disappointment if anime set you with that expectation.

Though most modern shows would have you thinking women have a bleeding disorder since they have blush 24/7.
bottino

Post by bottino »

Regarding the very first Megami Tensei for the Famicom, is anyone here familiar with this game? I know that there's a remake for the SFC in the same vein of the Shin Megaten games, but I'm still very interesting to see how it all began. I started the game a while ago and even mapped out the first floor, but had to take a break from it and ended up losing my password...

Any tips without spoiling things too much would be greatly appreciated.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

It's extremely archaic, even more so than something like the first Dragon Quest. While it's not as extreme as the original Sir Tech Wizardrys, you're going to be in a world of pain. I finished the first dungeon using save states then played Kyuuyakyu instead. It's siky smooth, has the same layouts, and even has a remixed score by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

bottino wrote:Regarding the very first Megami Tensei for the Famicom, is anyone here familiar with this game? I know that there's a remake for the SFC in the same vein of the Shin Megaten games, but I'm still very interesting to see how it all began. I started the game a while ago and even mapped out the first floor, but had to take a break from it and ended up losing my password...

Any tips without spoiling things too much would be greatly appreciated.
I dabbled in both the FC and SFC versions, and I think the FC version has better music, but the SFC one is more accessible, so pick your poison, I suppose.

It's very much a 'town hub, nothing but dungeons after that' game, from what I gathered.
bottino

Post by bottino »

Thanks for the input guys. Not the most encouraging scenario then haha.

I'll try to clear the first dungeon and then see how things goes from there. As someone who has Phantasy Star II as it's favorite within the JRPG realm, I can at least attest that patience is not something that I lack when tackling these games :wink:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I can't speak for the FC original(s) but Kyuuyaku is great, assuming you're into dungeon crawlers.
The first game takes place entirely within a dungeon and the towns/settlements are spread out within it. The second game introduces an overworld with random encounters, though the bulk of the game is still inside first-person dungeons. I'm still working on this one. It has a great intro, where you play an in-game videogame; a very simplified version of the beginning of the first game, except in a topdown perspective. This game-within-a-game was sort of reused in SMT2.

In my opinion, all classic MT/SMT games are great, again, assuming you're into classic dungeon crawlers; Both MT games are pretty similar to the three SMT games in gameplay, so if you liked those you'll likely enjoy these as well.

I don't know if it was posted already but a translation for SMT If... SFC was released a few months back.
bottino

Post by bottino »

Okay, I got through the first dungeon (Daedalus Tower). The beginning of the game was tough, died several times until I found an adequate way to distribute the heroes starting stats, which gave me a good edge through this first part.

The labyrinth itself was easy, the main problem being that, until you defeat the boss and acquire the Calm Gem, you have to walk all the way back to the 8F in order to restore health, get the password, fuse monsters etc. It's a pain, but it helps that the dungeon layout is simple and the monster encounter rate is surprisingly low (especially when compared to the first Shin Megaten...), so you can get back to the spot where you were in a matter of a few minutes - assuming that you have made your own little maps, that is :wink:

Of course, not being able to save and instead having to input a huge ass password is the most aggravating feature of this game; which means that you have to re-summon your demons, which costs money, and everything is very expensive in this game, so...damn.

Speaking of the boss, he killed my heroes several times, even though my levels were good and i was easily defeating normal enemies with the help of Cerberus; had to fuse two of my monsters into a more powerful one, which packed more powerful spells (Psycho and Hama, which dealt 70-80 pts of damage per turn, a huge plus), in order to kill that bastard.

Now it's on to the Valhalla Corridor. Let's see how far I can get in this game...

Here's my stats and password so far, just in case someone wants to check this game out:
Spoiler
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Nicely done. In the classic MT games, I usually focus on increasing the main character's STR since he can't use magic, and on MAG for the girl. I also don't spend much on weapons for her, given that her focus is pretty much on magic.

It's a bit early to worry about this, but later on, be careful about the enemies that can lower your characters' levels. There's a spell you can use to prevent this (I can't remember its name) but when I was playing through the game I didn't realise it could happen until I lost a few. :o

Also, assuming the FC game is the same as Kyuuyaku:
Spoiler
To beat the final boss you'll need to find an item that seals its full heal spell. Otherwise he'll keep spamming it and you'll never win.
It's been awhile since I've played this so I'm a bit hazy on the details at the moment, but I remember Kyuuyaku being quite fun; and it has an automap too. :)
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The art really took off after Kaneko came on board, but there's a charm to the earlier spritework as well. I'm digging the Nosferatu / Uncle Fester guy in the first screenshot.

Actually, if you don't mind me using your screenshot...
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
bottino

Post by bottino »

Many thanks for the tips __SKYe. I'll keep my eyes open for that bullshit magic, although I don't think there's a way to protect my characters from that in the FC version, since such spell isn't listed in the game manual. Let's see how that will work out.

And regarding that item you mentioned, the manual thankfully also mentions some important items not to be missed, so I'm assuming it's one of those listed there.
Spoiler
Mortificator wrote: Actually, if you don't mind me using your screenshot...
Not at all, but are you gonna give me a password?
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

bottino wrote:Many thanks for the tips __SKYe. I'll keep my eyes open for that bullshit magic, although I don't think there's a way to protect my characters from that in the FC version, since such spell isn't listed in the game manual. Let's see how that will work out.
I've checked and the spell is called Tetraja, and according to the wiki it also exists in the FC original. I guess the manual just doesn't have a complete list of spells/items. I don't recall which enemies can lower your characters' levels though, so be on the look for when an ememy does something that appears to have no effect (like if a message appears but you take no damage) and check your characters' levels after such a fight to see if they have changed. I also don't recall if you can lose Yumiko's spells from leveling down (if she recently learned one). The MT series has always been pretty cryptic about what the spells and item do, especially in the early games, so the wiki really comes in handy in these cases.
bottino wrote:And regarding that item you mentioned, the manual thankfully also mentions some important items not to be missed, so I'm assuming it's one of those listed there.
Also according to the wiki, the item is called White Dragon Jewel so it appears it is not listed in the manual. I had completely forgotten about the one used against Medusa though, so the manual at least hints at the requirement of procuring special items to be able to beat bosses. I do believe you get hints in-game as to what items are required to proceed as well.
I also didn't know that the Amethyst had a use other than being used for trading.
It's interesting that the game allows you to fight the bosses without having those items, essentially ensuring your demise, though I'd argue that it is for the best as this sort of game really favours exploration.

Good luck. :)
bottino

Post by bottino »

Much appreciated SKYe! The manual actually mentions all the magic spells, including Tetraja (have no idea how I missed that...), but it's description is "sets up a shield, boosting defense". In any event, I've actually met a Vampire and used the spell to successfully protect my heroes, so it's all good.

Killed Medusa and Loki, and now it's on to the Mazurka Corridors, that has a really nice soundtrack (reminds me of Castlevania!) to keep me company while I draw some maps and kill some demons...
bottino

Post by bottino »

The Mazurka Corridors... :lol:
At this point, I'm just pushing myself to see how far can I get into this game. What keeps me going is that fact that I'm Megaten fan and wanted to see how it all started, something that I like to do with every game franchise I like - weird I know, but what can I do about it?
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Don't give up now. Only a couple areas to go through. :)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Does anyone have any experience with those PAL/US Kyuyaaku/SMT repro carts? Do they use a decent translation, run well enough, etc?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh boy.. things really came to a head in Strange Journey.

Gore didn't much like my Law alignment.
Not that I'm a particularly law aligned person IRL but i just decided before this playthrough that I wanted to play law and see how it is.
So i'm making decisions in RP mode i guess, and it doesn't feel great having to
Spoiler
kill Gore (again) and side with Zelenin and her horrific plan!

The Gore fight itself was pretty brutal, especially with the resurrection ability. My MC (Ulysses Sofia) went down like 5 times, thank fuck two of my demons have Samarecarm. I didn't realise until the end that I could actually take a hit if i was blocking.
Imagine blocking in a jrpg loool.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Demon form Jimenez was a looong tough fucking fight.

Now Horologium is mostly down and I just met Mem Aleph.
It was a very short meeting.

Fuck knows how i'm gonna prepare for this one.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Blinge wrote:Demon form Jimenez was a looong tough fucking fight.

Now Horologium is mostly down and I just met Mem Aleph.
It was a very short meeting.

Fuck knows how i'm gonna prepare for this one.
To quote Winston from Corpse Killer,
welcome to hell, sucka'.

What build do you have? I had AGI, so I was lucky enough to preempt her(which is a godsend).

RNG helps, too.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

heh, and they made it ez in this version where there's not the ~36% of just instantly losing just because?

What the law brigade had to defend themselves with, not terribly impressive. Which I think is kind of laudable that all the route bosses aren't equal - makes it feel less like a video game.

(I picked Neutral my first time and there was much angst.)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Honestly I don't know if i could ever replay this again with a different alignment.

I saved just before the Gore fight too so I could feasibly go back, change my alignment and do the last sector again for a different ending.. but my god, the amount of time even that would take. I don't see myself doing it.

As for Meme Aleph..
cj iwakura wrote: What build do you have? I had AGI, so I was lucky enough to preempt her(which is a godsend).
This game has.. builds?? :|

I've been preparing. got a couple more levels, managed to get a demon with mediarhan and debilitate. In fact, two with debilitate if i bring Rangda, who reflects all physical, along. Team alignment will be fucked but Aleph apparently has no elemental weakness so meh?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Yeah, it's way easier to do on New Game+. You just mindlessly steamroll everything. Mem Aleph can be crushed by grinding just like anything else. (It might even be as extreme a difference as what I experienced with Persona 3. The Level stat is crazy strong.)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well i bring out a demon and it immediately dies.
I even had all her stats debuffed to -4 at one point too. I can't deal any damage because i'm constantly on the backfoot healing or reviving. she's fully healed herself.

am i just... fundamentally missing how to play this fucking game?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Mm, just like I mentioned, the level stat has massive weight in these games. A massive multiplier on damage dealt and taken in favor of whomever's higher. Mem's level 80.

If you have some almighty renzokuken attacks to avoid her random elemental shields, you should be able to clear it after gathering enough EXP.

Like the Cautious Hero, you wouldn't go and fight God without at least reaching the level cap, right? Doing otherwise would be reckless!

(Level 75-80 should be enough, 99 isn't really needed.)
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Yeah you're probably underleveled. It's even a problem even in the earlier megatens, where you can smash through every boss on auto battle after halfway through the game. I didn't even think about what demon's I was fusing in this one. SMT IV (the next mainline one) is even more prone to just being annihilated through playing at a leisurely pace. Have you been running from encounters or dashing through the game with a walk through?

Seeing screenshots from Persona 5 Royale or whatever its called, I'm pretty tempted to give it another crack now the translation has been tidied up. Got 50 hours in first time through and gave up in abject, existential horror when I looked at a guide and realised I was only halfway through.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

hee, yeah these ain't ~60 hour long games if you read all the text.

And it's very immersive how God is far higher level than the trash mobs you crush like insects. Very unvideogame-like. Not like how you immediately take a literal chainsaw to God's face in Saga without any special training for it or anything.