shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:55 pm 

I think it looks great! Though I have a fetish of sorts for these lo rez textures and moody sprites. It just ain't Megaten unless the graphics genuinely depress you. I remember playing through part of The Dark Spire on wireframe mode before I realised how bloody minded this actually was.

Still holding out for a remake of SMT1 using the EO4 engine a la DSJ, though they'd probably balls it up too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:04 pm 

I tend to think the same way - I played through SJ on DS for the first time last year and found it stunning. The 3D mazes look superb - by turns bleak, psychedelic (in a good way) and sardonic - and more so than in any other first-person dungeon crawler their repetitiveness works to create a heightened feeling of suffocating, oppressive claustrophobia and hopelessness. The game was also pretty much the last hurrah for good Kaneko demon artwork.

It'd be a mistake to play through all of The Dark Spire without seeing the 'modern' graphics, though, for sure. It has a really unique kind of charioscuro you don't often see in games - I've never seen anything use colour quite like it. Part of this is due to the DS screen itself, I think, which lent itself to a lot of strong aesthetic choices in all of the Atlus dungeon crawlers (e.g. one thing EO, SJ and The Dark Spire all have in common is beautifully crisp fonts - even the menus are a pleasure to look at).

It's just occurred to me that it was one of your posts (commenting on either its miraculous localisation or its low price) that got me into Soul Hackers, which quickly became one of my favourite games. So, thank you! This gives me a good excuse to share this belter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm 

That's awesome I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Soul Hackers is great in just how '32-bit' it feels. All those lo rez polys, mid-90's psychedelic touches and that crazy good soundtrack. I also love how you can just hold down B and STRAFE DOWN EVERY CORRIDOR AT 100KMPH which completely flips the idea that dungeon crawlers have to be 'slow'. I also really like how it feels like SMTI/II/If... but with knobs on, complete with millions of deadends and the city overworld. Strange Journey might have the best narrative/'story telling' and II might be my all time favourite but Soul Hackers is probably the most fun to play overall.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 pm 

Demons and their compatibility with me:
Is it based solely off my neutral alignment? Or is it affected by the fact that i'm walking around with 3 chaos boiz atm.
So will i find it harder to recruit angels atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 am 

MX7 wrote:
That's awesome I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Soul Hackers is great in just how '32-bit' it feels. All those lo rez polys, mid-90's psychedelic touches and that crazy good soundtrack. I also love how you can just hold down B and STRAFE DOWN EVERY CORRIDOR AT 100KMPH which completely flips the idea that dungeon crawlers have to be 'slow'. I also really like how it feels like SMTI/II/If... but with knobs on, complete with millions of deadends and the city overworld. Strange Journey might have the best narrative/'story telling' and II might be my all time favourite but Soul Hackers is probably the most fun to play overall.

Yeah, all of this!

One of my favourite things about the 3DS port is its commitment to the original game's aesthetics, not just in terms of keeping the original soundtrack and visuals etc, but as much of the package as was possible, right down to holding onto the original compressed-to-fuck FMV cutscenes/boss battle transitions and including them essentially untouched. The game really nails a specific Gibson-esque conception of cyberspace, and I'm so glad that the 3DS update leaves its very mid-90s aesthetics completely intact, because they're irresistible.

I like how off-kilter the gameplay is, too - the demon loyalty system being such that if a boss fight is proving too tough, it's less a matter of levelling up and more a matter of finding the right pals and getting them drunk. The demon dialogue/negotiation is a fair bit more robust than in most of the other SMT games, too. They're still just talking in weird non-sequiturs most of the time, but you haven't exhausted their lines after three battles. Thanks to this and the trippy nightmare-spaces you encounter them in, the battle situations never get old. I also very much enjoyed this one magic-draining boss that I defeated by... continuing to use magic until it fucking exploded from it.

Glad I picked it up when I did, too - I got a physical copy for £8, and I see it already fetches £40-50. Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 am 

Blinge wrote:
Demons and their compatibility with me:
Is it based solely off my neutral alignment? Or is it affected by the fact that i'm walking around with 3 chaos boiz atm.
So will i find it harder to recruit angels atm.

Unless anything was changed, it's based on your alignment alone. I think it might be impossible to chat up opposite alignment demons, but I spent most of my time in Neutral so can't remember for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:13 pm 

So what changes my alignment... hanging with demons of a certain alignment?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm 

IIRC it's mostly based on choices you make at certain points in the story - I ended up with Chaos and I think it was mainly because I repeatedly ignored Mastema/told him to shove it. You can get subapps that make negotiations easier (like "Relax Spray") but I can't remember if there are any that make demons ignore alignment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm 

MX7, what makes II your favorite? Haven't played it, just curious if you can give me that huzzah to check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm 

Klatrymadon wrote:
IIRC it's mostly based on choices you make at certain points in the story

Yeah, dialogue choices. There's a place (in the first zone iirc?) in the original near the end that you can go to change it to whatever you want at will. ... grindy, but at will. Lets you see all of the endings on one save file if you save before the fork.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 pm 

drauch wrote:
MX7, what makes II your favorite? Haven't played it, just curious if you can give me that huzzah to check it out!

Because it's absolutely batshit insane. There's a few quality of life adjustments over the first one, including hitting one of the shoulder keys to access the automap, and way more dungeon textures than the first.
But really it's because it's so weird. The world ends in the first game (spoilers! It happens very early on) and II is set several years after the world has been rebuilt. It's eccentric and inventive, with fairy princesses with huge LCD monitors, cyberspace, underground discotheques, and then a demon eats an entire city with you in it. Tonally it's all over the place.
It's standard Megaten monotony, but for some reason the fever dream presentation ticks my boxes. But if you want a pure SMT experience definitely play the first SMT first. There's a cool hack called by Orden that adds easy automapping to the Aeon Genesis translation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:16 am 

Klatrymadon wrote:
The game really nails a specific Gibson-esque conception of cyberspace,

I'm sold.

Edit: Man the new area in SJ: Redux appears as early as sector Bootes!
I think this is the new area anyway, after a bloody altercation with the hottie from the art..

I don't know when the best time to tackle it would be..
Honestly though this game gives me life when i'm commuting home utterly shattered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am 

Any advice on how or when to use demon sources?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:55 am 

I guess the best advice is to fight the impulse to hoard stuff as much as possible - one day your save file will mean nothing to you so there's no reason to hoard or do content you don't feel like. If you can use the skills now, put them on there. Most of them will only have their value lowered as you progress through the game as better attacks and heals become available. And unless they've changed things very drastically, it should be possible to "graft" over skills through fusion using low level demons with high level skills.

(I say this, and still never once used a TM in a Pokemon game back when they had limited uses. Or a Mega elixir in a Final Fantasy game.)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28