Tour of Duty (TV series) fans......

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
postman

Tour of Duty (TV series) fans......

Post by postman »

I was just wondering if there are any fans of TOD out there in shmups land. I recently picked up the DVD box sets of season one and two of this great series. I love Vietnam ear war movies, and this is one of my favorites up there along with Apocylipse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

For anyone who hasn't seen them and is a fan of war stories, they are certainly worth checking out. Since they are made for TV, there isn't much graphic violence as in a typical war movie, however the main attraction of TOD is the storytelling and characters. The series really examines the problems the army faced with drugs, deserters, and inside corruption, along with fighting the enemy.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Yeah kinda liked the series years ago. Not enough to buy the DVD set, but enough to purchase "paint it black" on cd! :D

Oh and I am very happy you didn't mention the series in a sentence also having "ApocAlipse Now" in it. ToD is not worthy! ;)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I loved that show as a kid. I heard that the DVDs don't have Paint it Black in the intro and am both shocked and horrified.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Acid King wrote:I heard that the DVDs don't have Paint it Black in the intro and am both shocked and horrified.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I followed the show when it aired here and absolutely loved the intro. Did they buy the rights to the song for only a certain amount of years or what?

Oh, I suppose the series itself was good, too. :P
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
postman

Post by postman »

Yeah, they changed the music tracks......I don't remember seeing the original series, so I never heard any Stones songs on the series, but all the music sounds like something real, but is off a bit. There's a theme that starts like Purple Haze, then gets really off track. Also Tracks of my Tears, which again trails off into something not copyrighted. Though they do sing "we gotta get outta this place", that's the only real song I can think of.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Ghegs wrote:
Acid King wrote:I heard that the DVDs don't have Paint it Black in the intro and am both shocked and horrified.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I followed the show when it aired here and absolutely loved the intro. Did they buy the rights to the song for only a certain amount of years or what?

Oh, I suppose the series itself was good, too. :P
I assume that they would have had to pay royalties to use the songs and figured it would be more profitable for them to not use them.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb