shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 521, 522, 523, 524, 525
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 pm 

GaijinPunch wrote:
I'll have to check that out.

Personally, I feel like ワンダフルライフ is one of those creative works that transcends what it originally set out to be. Not to get too poetic about it, but I think sometimes it's a result of forces outside of the control of those involved. (the stars were aligned just right et al.)

I really like his other films, and he clearly has a defined art, but that one is different. 何とか、ちがうかんじ。

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm 

Like Terminator: Dark Fate, The Predator was actually good despite most of the internet assuring me it wasn't.

Also made time for Robocop 2014 which failed to capture the tone and point of the original but was still pretty interesting as it's own thing.

1CCS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:27 am 

The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires

This had everything, somehow I'd never seen it before. Dracula, Van Helsing (Peter Cushing), decaying vampires, undead that bounce, half the cast are kung-fu masters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:40 am 

Gretel & Hansel

It's basically The Witch: PG-13 version. I'm not sure if its heroine is less talented or just had less to work with, as the script often calls for her to pointedly NOT emote. Decent first act, draaaaaags once they get to the witch hut, and finally rushes through the climax.

The one thing it has over The Witch is... the witch. In the earlier film, any witchy women were mostly offscreen. Here, Alice Krige is the only substantial character Gretel interacts with - Hansel is a dunce - and is great at projecting a sinister aura. But she ultimately comes to such a lame end that splashing her with water would have been more epic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 pm 

Mortificator wrote:
The one thing it has over The Witch is... the witch. In the earlier film, any witchy women were mostly offscreen. Here, Alice Krige is the only substantial character Gretel interacts with - Hansel is a dunce - and is great at projecting a sinister aura.

I have so much to tell about Satanism and Witchcraft (La Sorcière) book by Jules Michelet that I don't even start (would drain way more juice out of me than it's really worth, I feel). At the very least, it's worth READING as a rageously anticlerical supplementation of The Golden Bough by sir James George Frazer, if you can dig XIXth Century's ways of reasoning as we can get to know them from books.* (It was not quite as long ago as the ongoing "acceleratrion of (life-)time" would have you believe; all that crisis of faith seems to bring forth is re-birth of faith, most lately in transhumanism, unless that's yestrday's news already.)

*) And strictly, exclusively from books. Surely, reading NEWSPAPERS from their time and age would enrich the picture greatly. Or visiting a handful of surviving cycloramas...

Apologies for digressing so in a thread not quite about books, but La Sorcière had been haunting me for so long that, still not feeling like writing a review it quite deserves, the above W-word was enough to trigger me like that.

By the way, there's a Japanese animated film (not quite "anime") based on the - generously fictionalised - first part of La Sorcière, titled Kanashimi no Belladonna/Belladonna of Sadness.
Spoiler: show

That's as witch-centric as they come a movie.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 521, 522, 523, 524, 525