shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 3010
Location: Portugal
Oh damn, he's the Rocketman! :lol: Man, me and my old buddies used to fawn over that line and how cool the scene was...
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: sweets for the sweet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2014
Posts: 207
Location: Devil Worldo
soprano1 wrote:
did this guy deliver his creepy lines in his creepy as shit voice. :shock:


Helen. Be my victim.

The cool thing is when you watch it for a second time around. Despite the title and TT's performance.

Spoiler: show
It's actually Helen's urban legend origin story. :!:


Did you know they're planning a remake/sequel? Jordan Peele is supossed to write and produce.
_________________
AN' YO' KNOW WHUT THET MEANS!!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 3010
Location: Portugal
I think I read that somewhere, yes. Let's hope for the best.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 3010
Location: Portugal
Ivan the Terrible (1944/1958)
Superb Soviet two-part epic by the director of Battleship Potemkin. Very propagandish, which is to be expected, but the amazing wardrobe and sets, the camera shots, and the great acting made up for it many times over.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 6056
Location: UK
Well I saw Joker tonight.

Ignore the drama in the media, it's not even about what they've been saying. It's a fantastic character study drama, and the acting and cinematography are on a level we haven't seen for years. If Phoenix doesn't get an oscar for that one, then something is very badly wrong. The people who did the trailers also need special recognition, there are some big aspects of the film which aren't even hinted at - appreciated in the days of "showing the bad guys death scene is no problem" trailers.
_________________
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 403
Paprika - The only Satoshi Kon work I've seen before this was the Paranoia Agent TV series years ago. Seems like he had a thing for doing psychological-themed stories, since Perfect Blue (which I've not yet seen, but it's in my backlog) dealt with a similar subject. I rewatched Paprika with the director's commentary and at one they mention that the dolls in Himuro's apartment that appear throughout most of the dream sequences were inspired by J.B. Sebastian's toys in Blade Runner. I always thought it was inspired by the giant teddy bear scene from AKIRA, seeing how apparently Kon started off as an assistant for Katsuhiro Otomo on the AKIRA manga. Really good stuff. Shame he only made a few movies in his short lifespan. I'm looking forward to discovering the rest of his filmography.

Brazil - I'm a bit more familiar with Terry Gilliam, having seen Tideland and parts of 12 Monkeys on a TV airing, and of course, the Monty Python movies and TV show. This was quite a trip and feels a bit more relevant now than ever before. The protagonist is a bit of an annoying self-serving putz and somewhat deluded from the very beginning, but I don't think he was ever intended to be the "unlikely hero" type anyway. I want to track down the "Love Conquers All" cut, since I only have the 1-disc DVD version of the Criterion release.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2068
Location: polar malortex, illinois
First Love—Takashi Miike, 2019. As you might expect from a Miike yakuza action drama, this one is just straight up fun from beginning to end, but also carries some real emotional resonance. Every actor is perfectly cast and the script is full of fun little surprises and twists and turns. Really glad I got a chance to catch this one on the big screen.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
it290 wrote:
First Love—Takashi Miike, 2019. As you might expect from a Miike yakuza action drama, this one is just straight up fun from beginning to end, but also carries some real emotional resonance. Every actor is perfectly cast and the script is full of fun little surprises and twists and turns. Really glad I got a chance to catch this one on the big screen.


Assume you went to Music Box? I thought about heading over but I don't think I'm going to make it. Travelling a lot this month and it's hard to get the gal on board for anything at music box due to the horribly uncomfortable seats. It's also not super convenient as we don't live near the red line.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
The Mirror (1975)
Probably would have enjoyed this more w/ a bit of a warning about it being so disjointed. I actually was not tired and paid careful attention. Generally a collection of musings of a dying man. Some actors playing two roles [from different time frames of his life] and some subtitles that admittedly don't read perfectly well in English made some parts a bit hard to follow. Like with Stalker, we see film stock switch from color to monochrome, which at first seems like it is used to distinguish the time frame but then that rule is thrown out as well. Of course, the imagery is god tier.

Coherence (2013)
This was a re-watch for me, and will say the perfect in-flight movie, assuming you're wide awake. Not the same tier as Primer, but definitely falls in the mind-bending category. It was fun to look for subtleties I missed the first time. Impressive work by the cast as it's almost entirely unscripted and filmed in 5 nights.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2019
Posts: 43
Night of the Living Dead 1990 Big fan of the George Romero zombie films, particularly the original trilogy. I tend to go back to this remake more than the original 50's one now - it's basically the same film, but with better acting and better Zombie / gore effects. The 50's original is a classic, but the low quality of the filming make it hard work to watch on modern displays these days I find - it was always a VHS on a 14' CRT film for me.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: coming to get you barbara
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2014
Posts: 207
Location: Devil Worldo
:roll: Ok, I'm that kinda guy.
Dude, the first Zomero is from 1968. Just clearing that because of the times and the subtext you have a very different movie next to one from the actual 50s. Flicks like I Was a Teenage Werewolf and The Thing and The Fly and Invasion of the Saucer Men. Paranoia and the countering of subversive elements a major flavours. The most offensive thing I could find in The Fly is the depiction of women. When mom's not a-cleaning and a-cooking, she's squealing and close to a nervous breakdown. Real horror preserved.
_________________
AN' YO' KNOW WHUT THET MEANS!!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
I caught One Cut of the Dead down in Long Beach over the weekend. I went in having no idea what to expect which was definitely the right call. Hilarious! Highly recommend.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2068
Location: polar malortex, illinois
GaijinPunch wrote:
Assume you went to Music Box? I thought about heading over but I don't think I'm going to make it. Travelling a lot this month and it's hard to get the gal on board for anything at music box due to the horribly uncomfortable seats. It's also not super convenient as we don't live near the red line.


Yep. They're showing this in the smaller theatre, which as I'm sure you're aware is...small, but the seats are definitely more comfortable. I hear ya on the location—I'm in Logan so it's a bit of a pain to get over there, but as it was a beautiful October day it served as a nice excuse for the missus and I to take a stroll.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
it290 wrote:
Yep. They're showing this in the smaller theatre, which as I'm sure you're aware is...small, but the seats are definitely more comfortable. I hear ya on the location—I'm in Logan so it's a bit of a pain to get over there, but as it was a beautiful October day it served as a nice excuse for the missus and I to take a stroll.


Yeah, when the weather is nice, it's nice. Didn't know it was in the small theater... I never bother w/ that one. I mean... why play 70mm there? It's like printing medium format on 5 x 8 (which I've actually done before even though it was a waste). :|

I went to buy tickets at a nice "lay down" theater here in town for tonight (Tuesday) and they only had front row left. This movie is gonna make bank. Good for the DC guys. About time they had a win.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1552
Location: Eating the Rich
The Machinist 8/10
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 3010
Location: Portugal
Purple Rain (1984)
Too good for words. Some bits of amateur acting, some good ones. The best wardrobe ever, straight from the best times, and the music is self explanatory. My only criticism is the ending scene, should have ended right after Purple Rain finished.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2068
Location: polar malortex, illinois
GaijinPunch wrote:
Yeah, when the weather is nice, it's nice. Didn't know it was in the small theater... I never bother w/ that one. I mean... why play 70mm there? It's like printing medium format on 5 x 8 (which I've actually done before even though it was a waste). :|


It's not in 70—I saw First Love, not Joker. :)
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 3336
Location: Western-MA USA
Kon and Gilliam are 2 of my absolute favorites. I am somewhat a blind fanboy when it comes to these things, but I don't think either have done wrong. Tokyo Godfathers, Fisher King, Baron Munchausen are some of my all time favorites. Tideland and Paranoia Agent are both remarkable. I heard Tideland almost didn't get a distributer because of the questionable relationship between two of the characters. Such an odd dreamlike movie, very surreal vision.


Jonny2x4 wrote:
Paprika - The only Satoshi Kon work I've seen before this was the Paranoia Agent TV series years ago. Seems like he had a thing for doing psychological-themed stories, since Perfect Blue (which I've not yet seen, but it's in my backlog) dealt with a similar subject. I rewatched Paprika with the director's commentary and at one they mention that the dolls in Himuro's apartment that appear throughout most of the dream sequences were inspired by J.B. Sebastian's toys in Blade Runner. I always thought it was inspired by the giant teddy bear scene from AKIRA, seeing how apparently Kon started off as an assistant for Katsuhiro Otomo on the AKIRA manga. Really good stuff. Shame he only made a few movies in his short lifespan. I'm looking forward to discovering the rest of his filmography.

Brazil - I'm a bit more familiar with Terry Gilliam, having seen Tideland and parts of 12 Monkeys on a TV airing, and of course, the Monty Python movies and TV show. This was quite a trip and feels a bit more relevant now than ever before. The protagonist is a bit of an annoying self-serving putz and somewhat deluded from the very beginning, but I don't think he was ever intended to be the "unlikely hero" type anyway. I want to track down the "Love Conquers All" cut, since I only have the 1-disc DVD version of the Criterion release.
_________________
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 403
chempop wrote:
I heard Tideland almost didn't get a distributer because of the questionable relationship between two of the characters.


I can see why. There were definitely some pedophilic undertones between the main girl and the manchild son of her dad's ex-girlfriend, even though nothing really happens between them. I felt a bit sorry for him when he died at the end, but it was probably for the best.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
it290 wrote:
GaijinPunch wrote:
Yeah, when the weather is nice, it's nice. Didn't know it was in the small theater... I never bother w/ that one. I mean... why play 70mm there? It's like printing medium format on 5 x 8 (which I've actually done before even though it was a waste). :|


It's not in 70—I saw First Love, not Joker. :)


Ah sorry... I lost track of what we were talking about. Yeah that just didn't make sense. And kind of a bummer that they didn't play First Love on the main screen.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 4294
Classic SJW flick Pleasantville. A movie I actually like since it actually has something to say and is pretty meta about the artificial reality of fiction. One neat way of looking at it I didn't have when I was a kid is through the lens of transhumanism: The town undergoes a change in terminal values. This kind of transformation is a horror trope. Even if the characters aren't vampires, zombies, werewolves, cannibals, wraith-thralls etc by the end of the movie, the original people of the town are effectively dead and replaced with someone else by the end of the movie.

It's a little more interesting than making a xerox copy of a Star Wars clone and slapping a girl boss into it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7533
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
JOKER | 5/5

OMFG, what an effort. Phoenix is magnetic, tension at times is on Breaking Bad levels, the music is terrifying/terrific at once. I'm over the moon.
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:27 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
Aguirre: Wrath of God

Chalk this one up to a piece of history I'd probably never have known about if not for this. However the Spanish characters speaking German kills the immersion for me. The first of Klaus Kinski's I've seen, but from reading posts about Cobra Verde it was easy to imagine where he was coming from.

Chronos
Ron Fricke's follow up short to Koyaanisqatsi. Good, but inferior to it's predecessor. There are some new tricks in the urban sequences. They are quite amazing, actually. But, despite a short running time of 42 minutes, there's a lot of shots of nature that I found dragged on. Nothing against them - they are beautiful. But there are nature videos everywhere.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:17 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 403
Desert Saints (2001) - Kiefer Sutherland plays a hitman who has a history of using emotionally-vulnerable women as his accomplices and disposes them once he has no more use for them. He befriends a hitchhiker (Melora Walters) and ends up using her as his pretend-wife when he goes to Mexico to assassinate a Presidential candidate. It's nothing particularly original and one of the movie's twists is telegraphed in such a transparent way, despite the lack of any real setup. There's one scene where a detective and some forensic scientist are trying to figure out Kiefer's motives and the detective tells her "you and I are nothing like him, were law-enforcers" or something to that effect, only for her to end up going rogue at the end. Nothing worth watching, unless you're a Kiefer Sutherland fan.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 am 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1486
Just saw Gemini Man. Yes, it's as generic as it gets, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It felt like John Wick and Bourne with a bit of Looper thrown in.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7152
Location: MD
xxx1993 wrote:
Just saw Gemini Man. Yes, it's as generic as it gets, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It felt like John Wick and Bourne with a bit of Looper thrown in.


Were you disappointed that it had nothing to do with the Mega Man 3 boss? ;)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 11454
Location: COLONY
Joker (2019) Decidedly not a capefuck! :O Troubling gutter-dive with darkly enveloping ebb and flow. Magnetic performance from Joaquin Phoenix. Not without considerable black humour and release. The debt to Taxi Driver & The King of Comedy is obvious, but it more than puts its own outre spin on things. A standout being
Spoiler: show
the tribal fever of the riots following Murray's shooting, redolent of death and rebirth as a senseless Joker is delivered from the wrecked cop car and Batman is christened in his murdered parents' blood.
Edit1: Ok kind of capefuck there but it works seamlessly. Image Edit2: also BRB goin to SHOOT UP ME LOCAL Image (did the same after I pirated FALLING DOWN :shock:)
_________________
Image
[THE MIRAGE OF MIND] Metal Black ST [THE MASSACRE] Gun.Smoke ST [MUH YOUTOOB]
It's a saga of war and man's perpetual fight for survival.


Last edited by BIL on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:25 am 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1486
BrianC wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:
Just saw Gemini Man. Yes, it's as generic as it gets, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It felt like John Wick and Bourne with a bit of Looper thrown in.


Were you disappointed that it had nothing to do with the Mega Man 3 boss? ;)

Not really. Though the title definitely made me think of it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 3010
Location: Portugal
GaijinPunch wrote:
Aguirre: Wrath of God
the Spanish characters speaking German kills the immersion for me.

It was weird in Cobra Verde as well, listening to Brasilians speaking in German, most amusing when they said names (KOBBRRAAA VERRRDDEEE :lol: :lol: ).
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14333
Location: Chicago
Ran (1985)
This one lived up to it's title. Quite the shit show, in a good way. One day I'll find out why all blood in Japanese cinema is so damn bright.

El Camino (2019)
Very enjoyable with the usual quality of the series... however, unnecessary.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Last edited by GaijinPunch on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Necronopticous, Shelcoof and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group