shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:58 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1479
My next movie will be none other than Rambo: Last Blood. Look forward to it, guys.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2852
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
At this point, the main reason to watch the Mission:Impossible movies is to see what insane stunts Tom Cruise will do this time. The plots are entirely predictable (basically you get one villain-of-the-week or another trying to get their their hands on nukes and/or start a nuclear war and Tom Cruise has to get through 3 or 4 big-budget action setpieces to stop them) but they are reasonably entertaining, and Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames do quite well in their supporting roles. That said, at some point (probably around Ghost Protocol) they went from being spy thrillers to being basically Fast and Furious movies with motorcycles and rubber masks. They do make for some good popcorn flicks though.
_________________
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1485
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Master Z: Ip Man Legacy
Very stylish look to this movie, and the fights are good, and the music is good too. Nothing too flashy with the plot about gangs, drugs and a fallen master wanting a simple life, but the action was great. Final fight plays well to the strengths, and Michelle Yeoh does a good job with her screentime and one fight. Nothing felt out of place at all in this. On an unrelated note, that Ip Man 4 teaser looks like that one will be full on Chinese propaganda. lol
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1486
Location: Eating the Rich
Yeah Chinese cinema has taken a hit, heh. My favorite is HK stuff from before it got handed back over.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 2013
Location: polar malortex, illinois
Was just thinking about how much I miss HK cinema after watching Police Story the other night. Kind of a huge bummer really.
_________________
Image
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
Infernal Affairs (2002)
HK crime thriller about a cop who infiltrates a Triad, and another one secretly working for the same gang. The first 10 minutes really take you in, the music seems epic and out of place, but so cool. Give it a watch, people.
Martin Scorsese remade/copied/whatever this movie in 2006 as The Departed, with a seemingly amazing cast.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1485
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
soprano1 wrote:
Infernal Affairs (2002)
HK crime thriller about a cop who infiltrates a Triad, and another one secretly working for the same gang. The first 10 minutes really take you in, the music seems epic and out of place, but so cool. Give it a watch, people.
Martin Scorsese remade/copied/whatever this movie in 2006 as The Departed, with a seemingly amazing cast.

The Departed is a remake, and a good one at that. Infernal Affairs II is a great prequel that should be seen as well.
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Was always curious about II. Might put that one in the queue. I never jumped on the HK cinema train when I should have. What the hell happened now?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
New Jack City (1991)
Someone mentioned this one, decided to give it a watch. Glad I did, pretty raw stuff, great soundtrack, Wesley Snipes acting great?! It's all in there. :lol:
Now I feel like replaying GTA San Andreas...
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Legendary film, famously adored by David Lynch. While I found it very enjoyable, I really should have done my homework. I don't have the best knowledge of actors and directors from that time, and this was eerily meta for those days. Some people playing themselves, while others played slightly fictionalized versions of themselves in this dark look at the underbelly of fame and the Hollywood scene in general.

Samsara (2011)
Documentary by Rob Fricke, following in the vein of Chronos and Baraka. After watching Koyaanisqatzi, this showed up in things I might like on IMDB, and it did not disappoint. Similar to the aforementioned, this one starts of somewhat slow (although beautiful) moving from nature, to primitive civilizations, and later making it's way to modern day civilization. Includes some aspects of humanity that aren't so easy to stomach. Some of the time lapse is stunning. There was one scene I found quite awkward but whatever.

Belladonna of Sadness / Kanashimi no Belladonna (1973)
Quite a sorted history with this one. The Music Box played a 4k restoration of it last year, which I missed. Billed as a lost piece of Japanese animation history, it piqued my interest. Coming from the studio which employed Osamu Tezuka (although he left early on in production and is uncredited) it features mainly static water color shots, but there is a fair amount of animation, and what is animated is quite impressive. It showing in an art house theater, and being available on Amazon Prime, I didn't expect anything too racy: I was wrong. A far cry from hentai, but it is categorized as an adult animated film, and has a ton of suggestive imagery (and some that's quite blatant). One of the main characters is also voiced by Tatsuya Nakadai (Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Ran). I guess if I knew what I did I wouldn't have watched it on an airplane. :| Part of a triology, this one seems to have done the best of the three with western audiences, although it bombed in Japan and lead to the demise of the studio. For shame. Might check out the other two.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7528
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
GaijinPunch wrote:

Belladonna of Sadness / Kanashimi no Belladonna (1973)
Quite a sorted history with this one. The Music Box played a 4k restoration of it last year, which I missed. Billed as a lost piece of Japanese animation history, it piqued my interest. Coming from the studio which employed Osamu Tezuka (although he left early on in production and is uncredited) it features mainly static water color shots, but there is a fair amount of animation, and what is animated is quite impressive. It showing in an art house theater, and being available on Amazon Prime, I didn't expect anything too racy: I was wrong. A far cry from hentai, but it is categorized as an adult animated film, and has a ton of suggestive imagery (and some that's quite blatant). One of the main characters is also voiced by Tatsuya Nakadai (Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Ran). I guess if I knew what I did I wouldn't have watched it on an airplane. :| Part of a triology, this one seems to have done the best of the three with western audiences, although it bombed in Japan and lead to the demise of the studio. For shame. Might check out the other two.


I got a copy on DVD for free when I ordered Tsui Hark's "The Blade" released on DVD by a fan.
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
What was the quality like? I got the impression before this it was quite rare.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7528
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
GaijinPunch wrote:
What was the quality like? I got the impression before this it was quite rare.


On The Blade or Belladonna Of Sadness?
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:06 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Belladonna of Sadness -- and was it subtitled? The restoration project makes it sound like this was really hard to watch until recently.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2852
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Dumbo (2019): **

One of the latest in the ongoing parade of ill-advised Disney remakes. Piles the trauma on the main characters nice and thick right away (the Pugsley and Wednesday Addams wannabes that are supposed to be the protagonists lose their mother in the flu epidemic and then have their father come back from the war without an arm, and it just goes downhill from there) and keeps it coming. The end result is a kids movie that no kid is ever going to want to watch more than once, and maybe not even that.

Oh yeah, there's also a flying elephant in it too, but apparently that's just a minor detail.
_________________
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
Menace II Society (1993)
BIL wasn't kidding about the rawness and the tragedy, damn. :(
Pretty good watch, but I think Boyz n the Hood was better. It also has a crappy title, sounds like a late 90's/early 2000's Scary Movie-type parody.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 11335
Location: COLONY
soprano1 wrote:
Menace II Society (1993)
BIL wasn't kidding about the rawness and the tragedy, damn. :(


YO WHATSUP NOW PARTNER

Yeah. :sad:

Quote:
It also has a crappy title, sounds like a late 90's/early 2000's Scary Movie-type parody.


Aw! It was that early 90s jam! :cool: Incidentally, are you aware of "Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood?" :wink: Can't recall if it's actually any good or not, but I have a soft spot for the old Wayans Bros show, so I'm probably a bit biased either way.
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [MUH YOUTOOB]
FLAMES ROARED IN THE DARKNESS OF THE CITY


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
BIL wrote:
Incidentally, are you aware of "Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood?" :wink: Can't recall if it's actually any good or not, but I have a soft spot for the old Wayans Bros show, so I'm probably a bit biased either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAAhQwcJ20U
I can't believe that's the actual title... :lol:
Never heard of this before, but Marlon Wayans was the shit as Shorty in the Scary Movie franchise (as well as his brother Shawn as Ray).
Funny story, the first time I saw G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, I laughed my ass off and accidentally said out-loud: "That's Shorty from Scary Movie!". Every single time he said anything serious, someone in the theatre would do his crazy laugh or say one of his lines from Scary Movie. :lol:
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 11335
Location: COLONY
Yeah I couldn't even begin to take him seriously in GI Joe. :mrgreen:

"Lemme introduce y'all to... the house that crack built!"

He was also pretty good in the Coen Bros' remake of "The Ladykillers," I thought. Some sad shit near the end. :lol: Absolutely ridiculous, but that's what the part called for!
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [MUH YOUTOOB]
FLAMES ROARED IN THE DARKNESS OF THE CITY


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1485
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
The Final Cut
This could have been a lot better, but sadly it is too short to actually develop the plot in a fleshed out way. Robin Williams is good in this though.
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 366
BIL wrote:

Quote:
It also has a crappy title, sounds like a late 90's/early 2000's Scary Movie-type parody.


Aw! It was that early 90s jam! :cool: Incidentally, are you aware of "Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood?" :wink: Can't recall if it's actually any good or not, but I have a soft spot for the old Wayans Bros show, so I'm probably a bit biased either way.


When I hear of Menace II Society, I always think of the Dennis the Menace parody from The Critic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK6MD46Bbug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7528
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
soprano1 wrote:
BIL wrote:
Incidentally, are you aware of "Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood?" :wink: Can't recall if it's actually any good or not, but I have a soft spot for the old Wayans Bros show, so I'm probably a bit biased either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAAhQwcJ20U
I can't believe that's the actual title... :lol:
Never heard of this before, but Marlon Wayans was the shit as Shorty in the Scary Movie franchise (as well as his brother Shawn as Ray).
Funny story, the first time I saw G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, I laughed my ass off and accidentally said out-loud: "That's Shorty from Scary Movie!". Every single time he said anything serious, someone in the theatre would do his crazy laugh or say one of his lines from Scary Movie. :lol:


While you're exploring the "troubled black teens with guns" genre, you should also check out I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! (starring too many funny people), CB4 (more fun), and Juice (excellent drama with Tupac Shakur and Omar Epps).
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1003
Location: Indonesia
Star Wars: Episode III

My younger bro finished this while ago, looks like he had out-of-body experience the whole time he saw it especially middle-to-last act. He really liked it when it's going full circle to originals, and ROTJ will be his next watchlist.

I think Revenge of the Sith is my personal favorite Star Wars movie (Empire still the best-made). Yeah I said it.
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2852
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
The Secret Life of Pets 2: ***

Better than the first one, but that's not a particularly high bar. Another CG animated film from Illumination (known mostly for inflicting Minions upon the world) with a rather high profile voice cast, the end result is probably about as violent as you can get away with and still get a PG rating (although the first was the same way).
_________________
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
emphatic wrote:
While you're exploring the "troubled black teens with guns" genre, you should also check out I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! (starring too many funny people), CB4 (more fun), and Juice (excellent drama with Tupac Shakur and Omar Epps).

Thanks, appreciate the recommendations. :wink:
I saw Sucka already, amazing comedy with an equally fantastic cast. CB4 seems to have a great cast too.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 2994
Location: Portugal
Juice (1992)
Four Harlem friends who just mess around get their lives caught in a spiral of violence after one of them, played by Tupac, watches White Heat and decides he needs to become like James Cagney's character. Things escalate A LOT, and without spoiling much, tragedy occurs for everyone involved.
_________________
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 708
Location: Dallas, Texas
New Lovecraft adaptation inbound: The Colour Out of Space (titled "Color" for Americans), directed by Richard Stanly (of Hardware and The Island of Dr. Moreau fame), and staring the brilliant Nick Cage


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 11335
Location: COLONY
Might give that a watch. >_> At least it doesn't star Marky Mark, mirite! Image High standards abound. :lol:

I've been putting off Hardware forever, IIRC it's quite well-regarded? Looked/sounded rad from what little I saw. Lemmy cameo gets my frothing approval at any rate.

I thought German effort Die Farbe was a decent attempt by the chequered standards of HPL adaptations. Shoots itself in the foot with some silly off-scripting, but it's fairly pardonable.

The HPL Historical Society's wonderful Dark Adventure Radio Theater aside - I still maintain Wolfteam's Mega Drive adaptation of The Dunwich Horror is where it's at for HPL in the digital age. Image
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [MUH YOUTOOB]
FLAMES ROARED IN THE DARKNESS OF THE CITY


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
soprano1 wrote:
I saw Sucka already, amazing comedy with an equally fantastic cast. CB4 seems to have a great cast too.


What about rap mockumentary Fear of a Black Hat? Not the best trailer. It is hilarious though.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 7084
rapoon wrote:
directed by Richard Stanly (of Hardware and The Island of Dr. Moreau fame)

I did like Brave the movie by Richard Stanley a bit (much moreso than the score by Marillion). I think the director was into it. Hey, it's less than one hour long. More of a ponderous music video than feature film (I don't recall any sound except for the music and off-screen narration to it). Spunky little thing for its time and age.

emphatic wrote:
GaijinPunch wrote:

Belladonna of Sadness / Kanashimi no Belladonna (1973)
Quite a sorted history with this one. The Music Box played a 4k restoration of it last year, which I missed. Billed as a lost piece of Japanese animation history, it piqued my interest. Coming from the studio which employed Osamu Tezuka (although he left early on in production and is uncredited) it features mainly static water color shots, but there is a fair amount of animation, and what is animated is quite impressive. It showing in an art house theater, and being available on Amazon Prime, I didn't expect anything too racy: I was wrong. A far cry from hentai, but it is categorized as an adult animated film, and has a ton of suggestive imagery (and some that's quite blatant). One of the main characters is also voiced by Tatsuya Nakadai (Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Ran). I guess if I knew what I did I wouldn't have watched it on an airplane. :| Part of a triology, this one seems to have done the best of the three with western audiences, although it bombed in Japan and lead to the demise of the studio. For shame. Might check out the other two.


I got a copy on DVD for free when I ordered Tsui Hark's "The Blade" released on DVD by a fan.

Matter of fact, I learned about its existence when you mentioned getting that freebie on here some time ago. There, interestingly, seems to be no agreement among the viewers as to whether it's "graphic" or "suggestive". Another World style.
_________________
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BIL, Bloodreign, null1024 and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group