Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by drauch »

CMoon wrote:
drauch wrote:Rewatched "Keoma" last night. One of the best Spaghetti Westerns ever.
Not my favorite, but pretty decent. Have you seen The Great Silence?
Yeah, The Great Silence may be my favorite. I used to be really into Italian exploitation and used to watch tons of Giallo, Spaghettis, Euro-crimes, and the like. Really like The Big Gundown, Red Sun, Run Man Run, and Day of Anger to name a few. Might start watching more again...
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

My copy of the Big Gundown is a little screwed up since I could only get it as a homemade bootleg. Companeros is also pretty good, but definitely doing something pretty different. I love those films too, but like the kung fu genre, there aren't many entries that are worth seeing more than once. And yeah, Run Man Run is pretty damn good.

A question with a very obvious answer, but you've seen The Wild Bunch, right?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Ip Man 2. I give it 3/5. Very predictable. But the beginning is very entertaining.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
drauch

Post by drauch »

CMoon wrote:My copy of the Big Gundown is a little screwed up since I could only get it as a homemade bootleg. Companeros is also pretty good, but definitely doing something pretty different. I love those films too, but like the kung fu genre, there aren't many entries that are worth seeing more than once. And yeah, Run Man Run is pretty damn good.

A question with a very obvious answer, but you've seen The Wild Bunch, right?

Yeah, just rewatched Companeros a couple of weeks ago, actually! And oh yes, I love the Wild Bunch. I actually got to see it on a big screen. Definitely a highlight in my movie watching career! :D
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I just mention it (the wild bunch) because it is one of my favorite films--and I came to it after being into the Italian western stuff. Alfredo Garcia is good too, but Wild Bunch is among the best westerns ever made and really belongs among the top american films.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

TaygetaVendetta wrote: Pandorum - I remembered this showing in theaters for like 2 days before leaving and now I really regret missing it on the bigscreen. While there is a really dumb moment or two toward the end and theres one character too many, it is still a very well put together and entertaining horror film. The sets of the film are fantastic, even moreso when I learned how small the budget for the film was. I won't spoil it, but the conclusion/revelation at the very end is clever and something I never saw coming. Hadn't seen him in any films before (tho after an IMDB it appears he was in 3:10 To Yuma, however I was intoxicated while watching that and don't remember much about it at all), but I believe I am gay for Ben Foster. Not since seeing 1986-era Val Kilmer in Top Gun has a man stirred my loins in such a fashion.
I just rewatched Pandorum. When I saw it in the theater I was tripping pretty hard and I thought that may have colored my impression of the movie but I still liked it sober. Second viewing takes a bit of the impact of some of the stuff away but that just made me pay more attention to details.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
TaygetaVendetta

Post by TaygetaVendetta »

Saw Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill last night. Tokyo Drifter had its moments, but felt fairly bland overall. Branded To Kill, however, was very entertaining and I can see how it gained its cult status and has been so influential. It was made just a year after Tokyo Drifter and it's hard to believe its from the same director, with BTK being so unhinged and having so much nudity/violence that Branded To Kill lacked. I recognized a few scenes from it right away, as quite a few films have paid homage to it (most recognizably the sink scene from Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai).

I haven't seen many Yakuza films made before the 80s, so it is definitely interesting to go backwards and see the genre's beginnings.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

TaygetaVendetta wrote:Saw Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill last night.
I enjoyed both those films, that director just kept getting weirder and weirder until you end up with movies like this...

Edit: and this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pxVJhp ... re=related
SHMUP sale page.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I thought the first Ip Man was really average. The story was better than most Donnie Yen movies, but the fight scenes were cut badly.

@Cmoon - I haven't seen Altered States in years, that one's a real brainfuck.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:I thought the first Ip Man was really average. The story was better than most Donnie Yen movies, but the fight scenes were cut badly.
The best film I've seen with Donnie Yen is New Dragon Gate Inn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Dragon_Gate_Inn

I have the excellent DVD release from now defunct Hong Kong Legends.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
drauch

Post by drauch »

TaygetaVendetta wrote:Saw Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill last night. Tokyo Drifter had its moments, but felt fairly bland overall. Branded To Kill, however, was very entertaining and I can see how it gained its cult status and has been so influential. It was made just a year after Tokyo Drifter and it's hard to believe its from the same director, with BTK being so unhinged and having so much nudity/violence that Branded To Kill lacked. I recognized a few scenes from it right away, as quite a few films have paid homage to it (most recognizably the sink scene from Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai).

I haven't seen many Yakuza films made before the 80s, so it is definitely interesting to go backwards and see the genre's beginnings.

Both awesome films!! I've been wanting to watch Branded to Kill again lately.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:I thought the first Ip Man was really average. The story was better than most Donnie Yen movies, but the fight scenes were cut badly.
It was actually the story and setting I enjoyed more than the fighting. I found the pre-occupation scenes rather trivial, but atmosphere of oppression in the later parts was powerful. To be honest, I got more satisfaction from Ip Man stomping the shit out of those Japanese soldiers approaching his wife than I did the conventional fight scenes.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

BIL wrote:It was actually the story and setting I enjoyed more than the fighting. I found the pre-occupation scenes rather trivial, but atmosphere of oppression in the later parts was powerful.
+1

Actually, I much more enjoyed the Jet Li starred Fearless' fight scenes than Ip Man's. But.. Fearless had Yuen-Woo Ping instead of Sammo Hung as fight choreographer. 8)

Sammo Hung was really great in Ip Man 2 btw.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

You're both fairly easily pleased, I thought Ip Man was fairly cheap in it's sensationalisation of a true story and the horrors of Japanese occupied China, and Fearless was generally pretty shit.

But then again martial arts movies out of Hong Kong and otherwise are lacking these days. Donnie Yen stuff is usually poor in narrative but decent in fight scenes. SPL had good fights but boring story, same with Flashpoint which had some superb fights (better than SPL). The fights in both the aforementioned were better than Ip Man's but I agree Ip Man told the better story.

It's really all about Police Story anyway.

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:You're both fairly easily pleased
Can't speak for BIL, but I sure am. I prefer taking movies for "what they are" instead of taking the high road. 8) When I'm watching Asian Cinema, I don't expect stage trained character actors or deep story lines peeling away in unexpected ways. Flashpoint, is that that movie with Police Men in Hong Kong fighting crime on top of glass windows elevated in wires, miles up into the sky? I remember seeing that in a trailer once, then renting the movie only to understand that was the single great scene in an otherwise mediocre flick.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:You're both fairly easily pleased, I thought Ip Man was fairly cheap in it's sensationalisation of a true story and the horrors of Japanese occupied China
I wasn't expecting a documentary on Japanese war crimes, or an accurate biopic of the title character, and I certainly wouldn't go to a martial arts movie for either. Much like I wouldn't expect similar of Saving Private Ryan or Dragon. I could still suspend disbelief and enjoy it as a martial arts movie with a strong historical context.

emphatic wrote:Flashpoint, is that that movie with Police Men in Hong Kong fighting crime on top of glass windows elevated in wires, miles up into the sky?
Don't remember that bit from Flash Point. It is an HK "cop on the edge" movie though. It does indeed have better fighting than either Ip Man or SPL, but the pacing is god-awful. I'm an exceedingly patient viewer, so it didn't really bother me, but a good fifty percent of it should've been chopped. The last fight scene was worth it all, though. Absolutely punishing.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Finally got around to watching Heat. This is how I remember films looking - though my closest point of reference in actually watching a film in theaters at the time is "Mission Impossible." (Which, by coincidence, has a not entirely dissimilar structure.)

I'm not big on coincidences, fate, or any of that other fairy tale stuff, but coincidences do seem on the track of my movie / television watching habits. (Sample coincidence: We've been talking up Star Wars, and here I am with Heat - so who more appropriate to appear in Google's news ticker than Hayden Christensen? I semi-consciously look up stuff that's from the same group of people, or on the same theme. Sometimes the same director. I wasn't thinking about the fact that Michael Mann directed this movie when I picked it up - actually I think it was a post here that got me thinking about it - but it's interesting to note that only recently have I been working my way through Miami Vice. Heat definitely has a lot of what I'm starting to guess are Michael Mann's trademarks: Loving out-of-focus night lights shots, face close-ins, arguably inappropriate slo-mo gunfights and reaction sequences (thankfully just one this time), high-speed night drives to classy music, and scripts filled with details about how cops and robbers get on with business - with a big focus on snitches and the guys' women. Just as Miami Vice used the speed-draw skills of Jim Zubiena, additionally showcasing the Mozambique Drill and the SPAS-12, in "Calderone's Return Part 1," Heat has been argued to have inspired crooks to make their own homemade breaching charges and take down armored cars, and also even perhaps influencing the firearms wardrobe selections of would-be perps by showcasing other firearms lesser-known to 1995 like the HK91 sniper rifle (Kilmer's character uses one at the "package delivery" scene, I believe) and even what appears to be the Galil or maybe a FN-FAL rifle (Sizemore's character at the bank robbery).

Now, I don't suppose there's a connection between snitches and women, but I have to wonder: Did Heat get an Oscars pass because people were disappointed with its treatment of women? Alright, I'll say this: It wasn't (mostly) painful to watch, poorly acted, or unrealistic (compares favorably with the unbearable Millennium episode "The Wild and the Innocent" which treads similar ground and tries to do it "seriously"), but absolutely none of the leading ladies struck me as people you could commiserate with or even really understand. Here we go (obviously referring to the characters, not the actual actresses):

Natalie Portman: Cute (man, she's only a few years off my age) but hopeless. Launches into a silly tirade and hysterics early in the film. I'll chalk it up two ways: One, the actress Natalie Portman is playing a silly role; two, kids probably look silly when they break down like this. All the same, not a performance that really grabs you - you're supposed to just go "oh, the poor cute girl" and instantly feel bad for her. It doesn't help that she's not allowed screen time to develop - we do get the fundamentals of her situation though, so that helps. Yes, she does have some high-impact scenes later on, but she's literally an inert performer there. In a strange way, it vindicates what the character did because she gets her dignity back. Weird and I'm not really sure I like the implication...moving on then.

Diane Venora: Has some strange, never-quite-explained relationship with Natalie's character (who has a different last name) but is likely her mom by the previous marriage. If the excessively langorous treatment her character gives to getting up (hysterically unbalanced by Portman's excessive hyperactivity at the beginning) didn't scream "THIS CHARACTER DOES NOTHING, TAKE NOTE," the next immediate revelation that she was married to a bum previously should be the clue. Seems to sit around all day and (by the character's own admission, in a less self-absorbed moment) pops pills and smokes cigarettes. She isn't seen cooking too many meals, thank god for women's lib! Unfortunately, the movie doesn't come up with any ideas to demonstrate that she does anything on the part of Pacino's hyperactive detective other than go out to fancy dinners with him (and complain when she has to stay in same all night with lousy company, poor girl!) The part that's galling is that the character has the temerity to lecture Pacino's character about being a poor absentee husband (she gets undercut on this by the girl) and reject what he does (by equating him with the killers he pursues, LOL) and other stuff. Pacino has a wonderful comeback for this on wondering aloud how appropriate it would be to announce that he'd spent the day working on a case involving microwaved babies just to "share" something with the household. It's not clear who makes the bread in the house, either - the famous yacht and speedboat from Miami Vice made sense in the context of police work, but Pacino's character is obviously just dressed and housed as he is because of that movies-only superdetective largesse. Real detectives don't make that kind of money...unless they're Vic Mackey or involved in the Rampart scandal. Wrap-up of Venora's character: Just a hateful, spiteful character that would fit right into a Miami Vice episode, to be arrested and / or Crockett "NOOO!" freeze-frame yelled at by the end of the episode. (Speaking of which, the lady character from the early Miami Vice episode "No Exit," starring Bruce Willis as the bad guy, shows guts and actually has to put up with some nasty abuse from his character before taking decisive action. Aside from the psychological torture the Heat "Criminal Team" guys must have subjected their girls to for years, she has it rougher than any of these lightweights.) Fun fact: At the beginning of the movie I was thinking "is that the killer from Goldeneye (Famke Janssen)?" No, and too bad; she could've brought a bit of needed fire to balance Pacino's character, though I fear she would've fallen into the same trap of not really being able to demonstrate her character had anything worth complaining about.

Ashley Judd: Starts off sympathetic against Val Kilmer's gambling addict character; she wants to break out of the cycle. But combine these with the distinguishing characteristics of a poor choice of replacement boyfriends, a severe pout that finds a way to creep into every situation, and plain simple not trying fucking hard enough to get out of a bad situation - and you have another worthless accessory to crimes without any redeeming value other than a lame plot point meant to get the audience to react because she's a (not terribly convincing) mother figure. Not sympathetic by the end in the slightest - I don't give a shit if you love your hubby and fell in with another wrong guy, you've got a duty to put him away. It's odd to think that Kilmer's character gets a "reward" for sticking to his girl - they both outwit the police. The unplotted denouement is probably him wasting whatever little cash they have left on gambling and throwing around more furnishings while she makes ultimately empty threats to leave him.

Amy Brenneman: Nosy all-American type of girl character, who lives in an artist's loft that looks like a slightly updated version of Midge's from Vertigo, complete with conspicuously-framed draftsman's table, random confetti bits hanging from the ceiling in mobiles, and a series of books with a Japanese title visible on one of many shelves. Unlike Midge she wastes no time getting the man she wants, putting eyes on him even before we know the character is part of the film (look at the girl walking by in the scene where DeNiro's leaning into a book rack or something at the library). It starts out sweet and nice, and is helped by DeNiro's character's determination to be a gentleman, but it goes straight to hell when it's revealed that he's actually a murdering criminal. All she does is sit doe-eyed and unbelieving in front of the tube before he returns, in order to ask him searching questions like "that was you on the news?" instead of getting the hell out. Appropriately spends the end of the movie sitting helplessly in a car, doing nothing.

Thankfully that's it from the terrible triumvirate. Three characters, only one of which is arguably unsympathetic from the start, all of which end up being unlikable. Cripes, at least Miami Vice has the good sense not to fit more than one helpless woman into every episode - then again, if you divide out Heat's running time, I suppose you've got ample time for Vice-style shenanigans.

Aside from that the movie does better than fairly well, and despite its nearly three-hour running length is just as dense and overall well-done as the best Vice episodes I've seen so far (which actually probably covers most of them). I was smiling and thanking our good luck when the insane scumbag (you know who he is) got what was coming.

Yes, it's a remake of a made-for-television movie (which I haven't seen) but the look is classic Vice in LA. Lots of pretty circular (and even oval) out-of-focus city lights (occasionally they get octogonal from stopping-down of the lens, which is ugly and has appeared sometimes in Vice - but I can't criticize it since I don't know what the ambient lighting was like). It's also reminiscent of another West Coast cops 'n' robbers flick (can't comment on The French Connection, haven't seen it start to finish) - Bullitt, which also ends up chasing around planes at an airport.

I looked up some reviews and stuff for this film, and was surprised how often the phrase "scenery-chewing performance" comes up when the topic is Pacino's acting. Now, I haven't really cared for what I've seen of Al in Scarface - shock, I know - hammy performance in The Devil's Advocate, etc. etc. - but I found his character in this film is sincerely likable, due in part to the barely constrained attitude of recklessness and eagerness to bruise (which is not explicitly seen often, but it's made clear at least one snitch gets information beaten out of him by Detective Vincent Hanna). You are so far away from feeling the gentle curves of womanhood when he yells "GRREAAAT ASS" that you can't help admire it: As a bonus, he's brutally honest. How much farther does it go? There are odd moments, like mugging for McCauley's camera in the "we got made" scene, but somehow these filter into a plot that, while seriously unlikely in the real world, definitely keep the film moving.

DeNiro here reminds me very strongly of what I've seen of Goodfellas - just an adult presence, somebody who is competent at what he does - so it's part rugged looks, part reassuringly calm delivery, part good lines.

Kilmer's character looks drugged much of the time. It's the character, I can't say much more. Hell, some of the time he IS drugged (and not because he enjoys that part of the high life, though it was in relation to his "occupational hazard.") Sizemore is likable, and I was pretty saddened when his character got offed, actually - even though he was just "more muscle" for the crew. He was certainly less threatening than Kilmer's character. Danny Trejo, playing himself (so say the credits: "Trejo") has a great scene in the film, one of the best.

I was waiting to see what William Fitchner was done, again after having been clued in here on Shmups that it was kind of an homage or something. Actually, his character's reasoning in the "I'm gonna kill the bastards" struck me as poor, but it moved the script along. If I had been holding his end of the line: "Sorry, if I accept this money, even at your generous discount, not only is it going out on the grapevine that I'm running a scam, but my insurance drops me and I probably go to jail as a bonus. Good luck pawning that somewhere else. Also, did you at least get rid of the loose cannon in your crew? All three of those armored car guards were the sole breadwinners in their households, which is not a unique relationship in this film but devastating to offscreen characters all the same. Bye now."

So: Not a bad film at all, and the things I'm complaining about are probably only problems to folks who think that movies are perfect vehicles for social engineering, instead of being social reflections of the times. I think that the action and the serious "guy talks" (Pacino talks are bonuses) balance out the grueling dramas with the backup-chromosomed gender. It's hard not to take notice of it though, even though the take is more adult and seemingly more nuanced (by good acting all around, if nothing else) than the usual "guy and girl fight (circumstances and poor acting skills!) to make it work out!" play of many other films.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That particular shootout with the police in downtown L.A. is one of cinema's greatest gunbattles ever concieved with the bad guys using armored piercing rounds while the cops use underpowered guns but later on upgrade to M-16 weaponry to get the job done properly. Looks great when viewed in Blu-Ray format compared to it's earlier DVD released counterpart.

Of course, in real-life, law enforcement always keep a razor sharp honed edge on keeping their own with trips to the firing range and utilizing gun training simulators (to know when to make that curcial decision of using one's firearm in split-second senarios compared to criminals whom lack that solid markmanship accuracy). Nowdays, cops and SWAT teams are better armed with the latest in weaponry and high-powered stopping ammo. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
innerpattern

Post by innerpattern »

I like Heat. I've watched it 3 times.
drauch

Post by drauch »

His Girl Friday with the amazing Cary Grant.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote: a good fifty percent of it should've been chopped. The last fight scene was worth it all, though. Absolutely punishing.
Agreed!

Just watched the lost 80's anime (apparently) Robot Carnival, a feature of short anime movies based around robot themes, headed up by Katsuhiro Otomo.

There were moments of animated genius. Although all the stories weren't 100%, it's a really beautiful piece of work overall, I loved it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention also that I decided to go and watch the Expendables. Look, after Rambo I actually had some faith in Stallone, don't blame me.

Although I was amused, I honestly can't recommend it as an 80's throwback/tribute - it just does so much wrong. It's stiff, often boring, 1 take business, and although it's an homage to movies that were a bit shit in the first place, it manages to be much shitter than they were.

And Jason Statham is the worst thing in it. It's okay when he's slitting throats, but it's not okay when he has dialogue and bonafide screen time - the guy should be working in a fish and chip shop. He's so poor it's uncomfortable to watch.

Anyway, it's about a 5/10.
Last edited by Skykid on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Con Air. Pure awesome.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Acid King wrote:Con Air. Pure awesome.
Haha, all I remember is a bunch of broken up shit in a desert, and the pedo dude's magical transformation. Anyway, how would you compare it to The Rock? (The Alcatraz flick with Connery and Ed Harris.)
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Ed Oscuro wrote: Haha, all I remember is a bunch of broken up shit in a desert, and the pedo dude's magical transformation. Anyway, how would you compare it to The Rock? (The Alcatraz flick with Connery and Ed Harris.)
I don't remember much of The Rock, but I'm planning on watching it in the next few days. My Wii has pretty much turned into a Netflix delivery service. Con Air was all kinds of awesome though.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Just watched Quest of Fire. Ron Perlman is the best caveman, ever.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Quest for Fire.

Yeah, I can't watch it that often, but it's cool in my book. Should have been called Quest for Missionary Style. I dig how that chick is naked the ENTIRE film.

Actually, doesn't Ron Perlman get bitten in the nuts by another dude? That film is crazy!
SHMUP sale page.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The ongoing thread about that bitch Lucas made me want to rewatch the old Indiana Jones movies. Wow, the first and third are excellent. Haven't seen them for about twenty years. It's nice to sit back, take in an adventure romp and feel like a kid again, but also be able to really appreciate the quality of these movies. A lot of the trademarks that seemed so trite and "through the motions" in the fourth one (vehicle chases, brawls, traps, relics wrecking stuff) feel so vital in these.

I find the second one's reputation as "the dark one" overstated, at least among mature viewers. It's just panto-ish, child slavery angle and all. Still liked it for the most part, but felt second-rate compared to the preceding and following movies.

edit: spelling
Last edited by BIL on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I saw Salt tonight with the girlfriend. I gave it a 3/5 for the decent action. She gave it a 2/5 at most. 8)
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I just watched the director's cut of Watchmen. I was pretty happy with the theatrical cut, and while this version fleshes out some moments, I'm uncertain whether it improves the film. Hollis's murder feels oddly out of place. In the book it was just another symptom of the ongoing societal collapse, but the movie's tighter focus on the main plot pulled that event out of context. Still, it was great to see the movie on blu-ray. There's some startlingly artistic direction of light and colour going on in places.
Skykid wrote:Just watched the lost 80's anime (apparently) Robot Carnival, a feature of short anime movies based around robot themes, headed up by Katsuhiro Otomo.
Where did you find it? It's not an easy film to come by.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ooops, my bad on the typo. Yeah, I couldn't believe how much sex was in the film! Weird it's from the same guy who directed the cute movie The Bear and years later Two Brothers.