Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by BryanM »

The trailer to the new Matrix movie makes it look a lot better than I thought it'd be.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM wrote:The trailer to the new Matrix movie makes it look a lot better than I thought it'd be.
as long as i can see it without watching 2&3 then i would consider it. i long ago decided that i will never, ever watch those two movies
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

vol.2 wrote:
BryanM wrote:The trailer to the new Matrix movie makes it look a lot better than I thought it'd be.
as long as i can see it without watching 2&3 then i would consider it. i long ago decided that i will never, ever watch those two movies
You made the correct decision.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Natural. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Classic Robert Redford and Wilford Brimley.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Ahhh I can't believe they used the Jefferson Airplane song in the real trailer so on the nose.

On one hand I like how the answer to all his problems is punching authority figures in the face. On the other, that he's been unable to punch them hard enough after thirty years is kind of a bummer.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Will wait for the VJ Emmie cut. His alchemic powers can turn dogshit to platinum!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

drunk bus was kinda fun and touching and seemed to be a first full length movie for the director duo

I could bear to finish 12 mighty orphans and it's hard to take luke wilson seriously in the role even though I've enjoyed him in a few other things: wes anderson flicks and the skeleton twins which I guess are all the same role. I thought it would be kinda corny full of cliches which is fine for a feel good sports movie and turned it on in the background with the intention of paying half attention while going through some board game components and still couldn't get through it.

seeing the thing on 35mm over the weekend and pretty stoked on that.

also interesting seeing riz ahmed in another musician role right after sound of metal. I really enjoyed seeing him in jacques audiard's the sister brothers however many years ago and it's cool seeing him continue to land interesting roles after first seeing him in four lions.
a creature... half solid half gas
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Kate was definitely one of the better Netflix movies.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Titus (1999) - I remember this one's getting some fairly mainstream distribution outside of festival circle. Just a moment before internet film piracy went mainstream. Consistently brutal, and some kind of guys should watch it not in the least for its OST - much like The Rover (2014), or Stanley Kubrick films. I read Page Hamilton played guitar on it, and Mark Stewart (not sure which one) was involved, somehow. Mind you, the DVD I played last night was originally distributed with a ladies' illustrated magazine. Pretty must-see, long as it is.

Promising Young Woman (2020) - something straight-to-DVD about it, and I so fall for the type (watched rented online this time, but I would otherwise totally buy a cheap DVD of it - these are the best). Very good script indeed, kind of everyone who's into storymaking would like to make.
Carey Mulligan splendid in this one - I see she was in Never Let Me Go screen adaptation that I have been refusing to watch, might get tempted after all ('though I've been imagining less "Germanic" type of girl when reading the book, this hardly makes of breaks a movie). I read it features voice-overs - now that's ill-boding. These, like, 99.9(9)% times spoil films badly. Practically - whenever I hear about screen adaptation of a book I know to be told via first-person narration (like seemingly EVERY one by Ishiguro), I assume the film will suck. And I found only TWO films doing it excellently, as well as one doing it decently. Ask yourself in how many films you've watched voice-overs were any good.

Funan (2018) - difficult to comment on this one. Left me speechless for a while. My part of the world is overflown with this kind of stories, just not stories told in such a way. I cannot recommend any other spoken tongue version than French, mind (I doubt any other exists anyway).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Malignant (2021) Oh heck no! Esteemed doctors are being Hardcore Murdered in their homes. Can our dishwater-dull heroes Not Sandra Bullock and Not James Franco solve the case?

Fun concept, beige execution; a crazed kernel of giallo-styled bodyhorror, drowsily cocooned. Overblown production aside, its neat killer and Wiseau-calibre bathos help offset the tedium. Far from You're Next, It Follows and The Guest in my venerable B-Horrors That Should've Been Halloween IV stakes, but intermittently batshit enough for a patient night.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Titus (1999) - I remember this one's getting some fairly mainstream distribution outside of festival circle. Just a moment before internet film piracy went mainstream. Consistently brutal, and some kind of guys should watch it not in the least for its OST - much like The Rover (2014), or Stanley Kubrick films. I read Page Hamilton played guitar on it, and Mark Stewart (not sure which one) was involved, somehow. Mind you, the DVD I played last night was originally distributed with a ladies' illustrated magazine. Pretty must-see, long as it is.
Love that movie, I own it in the special two-disk set.

Aaron the Moor is one of my favorite Shakespere characters. Starts out the most gleefully evil character in the play, and by the end he's the only one who acts as a decent parent should.

"Thou hast undone our mother!"

"Villain, I have DONE thy mother!"
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Mischief Maker wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Why are there giants?
Spoiler
Mushroom trip. Same ones that made his hand seem to turn to moss.
It's also a metaphor for him trying to take the easy way out(standing on the shoulders of giants), or so I heard.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Copshop was entertaining!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

We Need to Do Something, awful. The girl from The Vast of Night is the only one who turns in an okay performance (though Ozzy Osbourne's offscreen, four-word role is worth... something).
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Dune (2021) - 4/5

First movie I've ever seen in Imax, so I that might skew my points upward. Too bad it's just the first part.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Just saw Dune today. I thought it was really good, and remarkably close to the book. I was skeptical about Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, but he surprised me and nailed the role. Overall, the cast is pretty solid. The visual design is quite nice, too. Only the soundtrack didn't do a whole lot for me and is the only real letdown, even though it has a single memorable standout moment with the bagpipe-led Atreides theme.

While I don't hate Lynch's version (a valiant effort marred by technology not being quite ready as well as some questionable casting choices), Villeneuve's movie is in a whole other league.

Can't wait for part 2. I hope it will be made.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've been watching every James Bond movie to get ready for No Time to Die. Not just the Daniel Craig ones, but every Bond film. Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me. Now I'm on Moonraker.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, the James Bondathon! Classic. :cool: I always come away thinking that while Connery's first three are unparalleled - marvelously escapist, yet grimly mortal - the last three fell hard into gimmickry, and that while Roger never reached the same darkly suave heights, he was great at what he did. And also an underratedly Violent Bond! He may be a cheeky chap and the maddest shagger of the lot, but if you're a Russkie or a Chicom, he'll put two in your liver and another in your fuckin dome! The Spy Who Loved Me has a champion villain dispatching, and Octopussy got the best headshot of the whole damn canon Image Not to mention - For Your Eyes Only spoiler - the definitive BOND REVENGEONER Image

Also, License To Kill starts off like a fucking TV special but pulls up hard once they GTFO Burgerville for Extreme Revenge Bond Action. Also caused much hilarity in the book canon, as poor Felix gets PWNED the same way twice! - with the same one-liner! :shock:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm so excited for No Time to Die, especially since it's set to be Daniel Craig's grand finale. Plus, it's the longest Bond movie to date, clocking in at 163 minutes.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I love Moore so much. Speaking of For Your Eyes Only, I loooooove the intro where Blofeld gets chimneyed. It's so damn fun and evil and just fawkin' great.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

That's the one scene I remember the most when it comes to For Your Eyes Only. So much for one of the most feared and evil terrorists in fiction to go out like that.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Herr Schatten wrote:Just saw Dune today. I thought it was really good, and remarkably close to the book. I was skeptical about Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, but he surprised me and nailed the role. Overall, the cast is pretty solid. The visual design is quite nice, too. Only the soundtrack didn't do a whole lot for me and is the only real letdown, even though it has a single memorable standout moment with the bagpipe-led Atreides theme.

While I don't hate Lynch's version (a valiant effort marred by technology not being quite ready as well as some questionable casting choices), Villeneuve's movie is in a whole other league.

Can't wait for part 2. I hope it will be made.
How are you people being able to see the new Dune movie so early? I thought it doesn't come out until October 22nd.
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:I love Moore so much. Speaking of For Your Eyes Only, I loooooove the intro where Blofeld gets chimneyed. It's so damn fun and evil and just fawkin' great.
My favourite is the cat going "Oh fuck this" and scarpering as Bond PWNs Blofeld. :lol: "Alright alright, keep your hair on." *smack smack* Image They got their money's worth out of that voiceover artist, too. :mrgreen: :cool:

MEESTER BOOOOOOND!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

xxx1993 wrote:How are you people being able to see the new Dune movie so early? I thought it doesn't come out until October 22nd.
Maybe there are regional differences regarding the start date? It opened regularly on September 16th in theaters here.

Re: Bond
It seems to me that the series always oscillates between a more serious, grittier tone and one offset with infantile comedy elements. The change between the two often coincides with a change in the lead, with Connery, Dalton and Craig falling (mostly) in the former camp, and Moore/Brosnan in the latter. Moore can pull it off due to the strengths of his performance already mentioned, but Brosnan can't, and his run is the weakest so far as a result. Tomorrow never dies and Die another day are downright painful to watch.

I used to enjoy the comedy-oriented movies more when I was younger, but they get old quickly when re-watching, so I prefer the more serious ones today, with Goldfinger and and Living Daylights being my firm favourites. I will also fiercely defend On Her Majesty's Secret Service against all naysayers. Lazenby certainly isn't the greatest actor around, but the rest of the cast makes up for it and the movie is good all around.

@xxx1993: I don't know if you're willing to include unofficial Bond movies, but Never say never again beats the one it's a remake of (Thunderball) on all fronts, not least due to Brandauer and Basinger.

If the new movie really turns out to be Craig's last, it will be interesting to see where the series will go next. I expect the tone to get a little lighter again. As for who will be the next person to take on the lead role, I'm hoping for Tom Hiddleston after he's already handed in his application in form of The Night Manager.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I do hope the James Bond franchise returns to its lighter and campier tone. Not every tone for a franchise needs to be like Batman, Bourne, R-Type, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

xxx1993 wrote:Not every tone for a franchise needs to be like Batman

I am vengeance!
I am the night!
I... am Batman!

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I was referring to the DC Extended Universe, animated series, and Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight with the tone, by the way.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Solaris (Tarkovsky, USSR 1972) on the TV. Oh boy. Watched this one theatrically some years ago and I thought it was alright, judged against my memories of the original novel. I did not think all that much about novel when I read it first, mind, and I still was a child then. This time, a number of occurences piles upon us all, such as - the orignal novel getting read on the Polish Radio 2 by the actor my 7 years old nephew knows from another film altogether. So, whenether it starts under our roof, and he's here - he's all ears, for he knows the actor's voice. Furthermore, I used to be quite successful at mimicking said very actor in yet another radio role, as I have a similar voice, apparently (baritone). All in all - this is some HARD Science-Fiction.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Throw Down
Johnnie To showcases wild fantasy and no good wastes of space in an epic about Judo fighters, gangs, and a failing nightclub. This movie movies at a quick pace, and has some pretty dreamlike sequences in it. I'm glad this is one of the few restorations Fortune Star has paid for that didn't get smothered in that awful yellow tint.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

lilmanjs wrote:Throw Down
Johnnie To showcases wild fantasy and no good wastes of space in an epic about Judo fighters, gangs, and a failing nightclub. This movie movies at a quick pace, and has some pretty dreamlike sequences in it. I'm glad this is one of the few restorations Fortune Star has paid for that didn't get smothered in that awful yellow tint.
Really like that film. Love some of his films and Throw Down is definitely an highlight.
Sad to know some of their restorations aren't up the par. Sometimes the materials don't help as well. In other cases and if the Director is still alive.. they might be responsible for the new color choices and direction...

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk