Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Skykid

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by Skykid »

boagman wrote: Yes, and all Marvel movies (and basically all major western summer popcorn blockbusters) are terrible because you say so. Dude, you earn every bit of the stripes you have.
I would hope so, I've worked hard to earn those stripes.

Most "major western summer popcorn blockbusters" are factory formula churned dogshit yes, but I never said 'all'.

Marvel movies are the realization of cinema as a 100% purely commercial, zero artistry form, carefully modeled to appeal to the lowest common level of mental engagement. They essentially cater to an audience of whooping baboons who love more of the same.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

MintyTheCat wrote:The Day After

I am in a bit of a 'cold war' / 'atomic annihilation' mood lately and I found out about this film. It is fairly long but does not feel long to watch. Essentially, the bombs are dropped and all hell comes of it. Quite an old film from the early 80s but well done.
Have you seen Threads (1984) ? British drama/pseudo-doc on nuclear aftermath. Pretty strong stuff, the horror and futility hasn't aged a bit. Several images and scenes coming back as I type this... I was in the supermarket shortly after first viewing and really appreciated all the non-radioactive produce and running water and electricity. Fucking hell.

I keep meaning to watch its 1960s inspiration The War Game, which apparently ruffled some establishment feathers in its day. AFAIK both of these were responding to the popular notion of nuclear war being something you'd hide under your desk from.

And oh FML, I go to look up the latter's formidable "enormous door slamming in the depths of hell" quote, only to have it forever ruined. :lol:
The Davenports Pop Man wrote:If what i've just read is true, and not the WN over egging a bit of weather, this could be very serious. I urge anybody with empty watering cans... FILL THEM UP WITH WATER NOW. The noise from an empty watering can, bouncing around a garden, has been likened to an enormous door slamming in the depths of hell.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:Several images and scenes coming back as I type this...
Same as it ever was. Keep fear levels high and farm them like mushrooms.
The whole thing, from the "duck and cover" nonsense, to the hellish, gov. funded, Threads (1984) was theatre. We got raped by our masters. Wasn't the first time. Wont be the last.
When the Wind Blows (1986), at least went some way to show how we were being "farmed". On a more positive note, it also gave us Roger Waters & the Bleeding Heart Band's soundtrack to the film and also this Bowie/Erdal Kızılcay classic; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLZgXm4EoHI
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If you want a nuclear apocalypse movie, try 1959's "On the Beach."

Then reassure yourself that such an awful event could never come to pass because we have Donald Trump's finger on the button.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:If you want a nuclear apocalypse movie, try 1959's "On the Beach."
Yes, I have seen it. Mushrooms.
Mischief Maker wrote:Then reassure yourself that such an awful event could never come to pass because we have Donald Trump's finger on the button.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Zen wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:Then reassure yourself that such an awful event could never come to pass because we have Donald Trump's finger on the button.
Sorry, I just listened to the Cuban Missile Crisis episode of "Hardcore History" and the implications are still burning in my mind.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:Sorry, I just listened to the Cuban Missile Crisis episode of "Hardcore History" and the implications are still burning in my mind.
Oh yeah? Remind me, what happened at the end of that show? Oh, yeah . . . . nothing. PSA to all mushrooms; you do know thats shit your eating, right?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

"Mushrooms?"

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:"Mushrooms?"
Thank you, no. I'll have some some identity politics-free positivity as a side order with my film recommendations if you have any left though :wink:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Rave reviews for the new Pirates of the Carribean:

"Productions like this come and go, crumbling tentpoles to be replaced by new timber, but they are self-fulfilling prophecies, and dire ones, about the future of the theatrical movie business. They're accomplices in a soul heist."

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

As beautiful a quote as this is:

"Productions like this come and go, crumbling tentpoles to be replaced by new timber, but they are self-fulfilling prophecies, and dire ones, about the future of the theatrical movie business. They're accomplices in a soul heist."
And as accurate it is when looking at modern day Hollywood as a whole - and certainly applicable to the new PotC movie - it wasn't actually as shoddy as I expected based on its predecessors.

There's certainly something to be said for no expectations, but even then it worked as entertainment in places, which is more than can be said of something like Avengers 2 or Captain America: Civil War.

I think the strongest asset was minimising Orlando Bloom to about three lines and a minute or so of screen time. That's a start. He was still completely useless and ruined the scenes he was in - upstaged marginally at one point by a 12 year old boy who also couldn't act - but at least they didn't make the mistake of bringing him back into the ensemble.

That left two newcomers who were better than both Bloom and Knightley while still being pretty awful, and then the flip side cast who were all kind of excellent: Depp, the eminient Geoffrey Rush, and Javier Bardem.

The dialogue ranged from absolutely terrible to ok and actually funny at points, and they managed to actually get the whole Pirate adventure thing tripping along fairly well, which is more than I can remember seeing in any previous entry.

Anyway, it wasn't anything I'd watch twice or willingly pay for, but it was better than I expected it to be. 30%? No, I'd give it a strong 6. Equal in entertainment factor to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - possibly even more so as there were fewer points where I was bored and waiting for something to happen.

But whatever, it's all garbage really; this feels like choosing which shiny turd smells best.

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

BIL wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:The Day After

I am in a bit of a 'cold war' / 'atomic annihilation' mood lately and I found out about this film. It is fairly long but does not feel long to watch. Essentially, the bombs are dropped and all hell comes of it. Quite an old film from the early 80s but well done.
Have you seen Threads (1984) ? British drama/pseudo-doc on nuclear aftermath. Pretty strong stuff, the horror and futility hasn't aged a bit. Several images and scenes coming back as I type this... I was in the supermarket shortly after first viewing and really appreciated all the non-radioactive produce and running water and electricity. Fucking hell.

I keep meaning to watch its 1960s inspiration The War Game, which apparently ruffled some establishment feathers in its day. AFAIK both of these were responding to the popular notion of nuclear war being something you'd hide under your desk from.
Thanks, I will have a look at Threads.
More Bromances = safer people
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Logan (2017) - James Mangold

Well, its x-men and its Hollywood, so you know going in that you are going to be preached at but in Logan (2017) the social narrative is relentless. I mean, this fucker is jump the shark, film breaking relentless. On the plus side, some of this forced messaging was laugh out loud funny.

The hype, at time of writing;
metacritic 77. Nope
IMDb 8.3. We know that IMDb is an astroturfed joke, right?
Rotten Tomatoes 92%. Hahahahahahahahaha :mrgreen:
Also woth noting, is that the "big/featured" reviewers on youtube loved this film. What is the current situation with full disclosure? None, I guess?

I can enjoy a popcorn film like anyone else. If it was just this, fine but the price of enjoyment here is, too high. As bill hicks used to say, "Suck Satans's Cock". Co-opted entertainment at its finest.
Also; that "fat acceptance" bit, was fucking genius. It forced you to check your privilege, by DARING you to laugh. I regret to say, that it didn't work on me and I disgraced myself in company, spitting out beer and making a mess of my snacks.

The film itself, or what's left of it after all this shit has been stuffed into it, was just plain bad. Special mention going to the dialogue.
(During "emotional" later scene;)
Laura; "Daddy".
Logan; "So, this is what it feels like . . . ." Cue the fans losing their shit "OMFG!. So sad! The tears!".
In between trying to breath between the laughter, one of our group was trying to sign "you complete me". Fucker nearly gave me a heart attack :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hellboy (2004)
Never saw this one beginning to end. Very cool looking, nice effects, story was nice. I never read the comics, so i really can't compare the movie to them. Is the sequel worth a watch? Not too big on fairy stuff...
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

@zen

Apparently the studios have 67 superhero movies slated for release over the next 6 years. That will certainly put cinema back on the map.

boagman

Post by boagman »

soprano1 wrote:Hellboy (2004)
Never saw this one beginning to end. Very cool looking, nice effects, story was nice. I never read the comics, so i really can't compare the movie to them. Is the sequel worth a watch? Not too big on fairy stuff...
I think it is. It takes on a lighter air, but it's still quite good.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Zen wrote:Logan (2017) - James Mangold

metacritic 77. Nope
Also woth noting, is that the "big/featured" reviewers on youtube loved this film. What is the current situation with full disclosure? None, I guess?
fk this generation .. super shit heroes movies getting 90's rating for what!!!!!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: ***1/2

I think I liked this more than I liked the first one, even if the plot was basically a standard "Superhero with daddy issues" throwaway. It dragged a bit in some parts, but made up for it pretty well. Baby Groot ended up getting some of the best parts (I'm sure that anyone who has ever tried to get a toddler to do anything can relate) and Yondu, basically a one-note bit player in the first movie got his due as well. I also have a bit of a soft spot for incompetent villains (think the Dr. Evil type) and enjoyed watching the Sovereign bumble around. A few more items in spoiler text:
Spoiler
- Seriously? A Zune? Wonder how they got Microsoft to sign off on that one?[/list]
- What exactly was Ego trying to accomplish by turning the entire universe into Blue Goo anyway? It sounds like the kind of thing you'd expect from a low-rent Bond villain.
- How the heck did nobody notice the ominous glowing space spore thingy behind the Dairy Queen for 30+ years anyway?
- Much like what Fate of the Furious did with Jason Statham's character from Furious 7, it felt a lot like they were making up for Yondu's relatively minor role in the last movie by giving him some of the most badass parts in this one, even if the way they killed him off in the end felt a tad contrived.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
NYN

Post by NYN »

soprano1 wrote:Hellboy (2004)
Is the sequel worth a watch? Not too big on fairy stuff...
Yes, I'd say.
Not one for the fairy-tales myself, I like to think this one does the right measure with both practical and CG.
Basically, del Torro uses non-practical effects only for creatures very small or gigantic. Everthing else is as palpable and it shows.
If you're into that than you going to dig the Troll Market and things related to that.
Mr Wink is a suit with face animatronics and I couldn't believe it. There's only one shot where his mouth is digital and it blends very well.
Also a plus are the fast fights. Just fun.

So go get it, if you didn't already.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hellboy The Golden Army (2008)
I'm glad i watched it, it was entertaining and beautiful to watch. Watching the Troll Market scenes was amusing as hell. I liked Johann's concept too.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Factoid time: The creator of the Hellboy comics went to Modesto Junior College back in the day.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Alien: Covenant

Movie was only okay for me...the CGI Alien sucks...
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

kaicooper wrote:
Zen wrote:Logan (2017) - James Mangold

metacritic 77. Nope
fk this generation .. super shit heroes movies getting 90's rating for what!!!!!
For monetary gratuities and because of a new breed of journalistic employee who was born in an era where they were weaned on shit and came to believe that shit was good.

Logan is nothing special, just better than the average superhero fare.

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Skykid wrote:For monetary gratuities and because of a new breed of journalistic employee who was born in an era where they were weaned on shit and came to believe that shit was good.
It was inevitable. Certainly there is a dumbing down. This happens naturally with all things , when you have no real challenge anymore.
The money is the thing though. Journalism, in all areas, has fallen to the status of mere marketing. Its a sorry situation to find ourselves in and its only going to get worse because it works. People love to be entertained and the hype-train is more stimulating than the actual product.
We have been Bernays'd right up the arse.

On that note and staying on topic, I'd recommend a glorious mess of a film; Branded (2012) - Jamie Bradshaw, Alexander Dulerayn. Featuring Ed Stoppard, Max von Sydow, Jeffrey Tambour and leelee Sobieski . A film that takes on this issue in a unique way.
As comparison to the Logan (2017) scores, Branded (2012) current scores are;
metacritic 20. Interestingly, it got zero positive reviews by "critics" :lol: but got an 8.1 score from"users", which metacritc explains as; "user score Universal acclaim based on 74 Ratings"(note: thats 8.1 out of 10. metacritc uses a 1 to 10 scale for "users" and a 1 to 100 scale for "critics").
This result is interesting. Could one explanation be that film critics tend to have have a brain fart when reviewing a film that outs their bullshit?
Maybe it is a bad film. What do I know. Its definitely not mainstream but I have got to say this; a film that dares to actually show the "cremation of the red heifer", to expound its point, wins all the fucking prizes. Full-retard but in a good way, you know?
IMDb 4.7
Rotten Tomatoes 10%. Again, Hahahahahahahahaha :mrgreen: While Logan (2017) gets 92%? These cunts are standing in front of you, smiling right into your face while taking a piss on your leg and most people are too busy trying to get aboard the hype-train to see or even care.
Again, the product being sold and ravenously devoured, is not the film. It is the hype .

Also; the fact that James Mangold used The Man Comes Around at the credits to end his pile of shit, is leaving a bad aftertaste. Real bad.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Re:Logan

I'm interested in hearing how Stephen Merchant was. Last thing I saw him in was Tooth Fairy.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Re:Logan

I'm interested in hearing how Stephen Merchant was. Last thing I saw him in was Tooth Fairy.
he was good actually and v funny mutant...
i suggest u guys watch Logan Noir edition
DEL

Post by DEL »

Skykid wrote:
The dialogue ranged from absolutely terrible to ok and actually funny at points
Pirates Salazar's Revenge - The above I agree. Terrible script and at no point during this movie did I feel 'engaged'.
I'll give it......37%

Oh, and the two young ones Kaya and Brenton - Something was lacking, probably charisma and talent.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Skykid wrote:Apparently the studios have 67 superhero movies slated for release over the next 6 years.
Can't wait for the one featuring FloridaMan.
Logan is nothing special, just better than the average superhero fare.
Seriously can this be considered a superhero movie? The context and setting could have been anything, it's not the topic of the film.
Watchmen did the "your superhero fantasy was hollow" much better, actually it'd be more accurate to compare logan to something like No Country for Old Men than to anything else superhero.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Well it's not a patch on No Country For Old Men if that's the case.

Watchmen is still probably the most successful comic book adaptations I've ever seen and one half of Snyder's fluke duo (Dawn of the Dead being the other), but it's not really what I would call a superhero movie, it's too complex.

ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Skykid wrote: Watchmen is still probably the most successful comic book adaptations I've ever seen and one half of Snyder's fluke duo (Dawn of the Dead being the other), but it's not really what I would call a superhero movie, it's too complex.
It's a horrible piece of shit, not only as a film version of a goddamn comic masterpiece, but also as a film itself. Here's some shit I posted about it on some other messageboard:

Watchmen Director's Cut 3/10

Watched it again just to make sure it was really as bad as the Reelapse crew made it out to be. It was. It's basically a b-movie by an almost talent-free music video director that disguises behind glossy visuals and high production values. Some of the things that sucked about it:
- horrible choice of songs for the soundtrack
- horrible acting throughout & horrible casting
- horrible, cheesy dialogue
- horrible fighting scenes (the next time I see a wired up action scene with shitty drum'n bass in the background I swear I'll... probably turn off the film) with lots of dumb posing
- Rorschach's grating voice - haha, how stupid to simply lift this from the Batman film
- shit that due to the director thinking posing and such is cool didn't make any fucking sense at all (in the Comedian's appartment: Rorschach standing on the windowsill in plain sight, cop sees him, starts shooting, Rorschach's suddenly gone - what the fuck happened? he vanished into thin air as soon as the bullets hit him? yeah, FUCK you, Zack.)
- ridiculous overuse of slomo
- shitty ending. Although I loved the Squid in the comic, I wouldn't have minded about a different ending. This one didn't make much sense, though. Besides, it removed all the muckiness of Veidt's mass murder and made it look almost clinically clean. No blood, no dead people with open eyes in grotesque poses. No impact.
- hardcore hero suits that tried to make the characters look super tuff and cool
- painfully uninspired from an aesthetic point of view.
- no sense of impending doom at all, no excitement, just boring scene after boring scene
- dumbing down of the complexities of the comic to an almost insulting level (the group's called Watchmen now, huh)

Every time I read a review that tries to make the reviewer look like an intellectual that "got" the greatness of the film I shake my head in disbelief. What a retard you have to be to think that this is either a good film in itself or an appropriate filming of the comic. There are some good things about it, but all those things were lifted from the comic and simply stuck in there without thinking a second about things like context and medium.

Btw the 3 points were for the gore scenes, Billy Crudup which was pretty good as Dr Manhatten (the Mars scene was ok, too), and the opening montage which almost led me to believe that the film might work when I saw it for the first time. Besides, I like gory b-movies.

Note to Skykid: I don't think you're a retard...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...