shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:24 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Gigantic Army
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:02 pm 

I just bought it to see if it could rekindle the love I had for the game back then.

It's a fairly good port overall, everything seems to be in place down to individual power-up placements. The only thing really different with it are the changes to the graphics and UI. After I did a run in the Switch version, I went and watched through the ~8 year old footage of my Insane difficulty run to compare. I didn't even realize before that the action is slightly more zoomed in on the Switch version. I do think I prefer the more "bleak" graphics of the original, though. They fit the tone of the game better. Also, new UI looks dull in my opinion, and I don't like how you can't accurately see your HP/shield/vernier's maximum level. But I understand they wanted to have the game be fullscreen and not have the bottom 15% of screen real estate be covered by the gauges.

There seemed to be some very minor oddness to the controls that I'm unable to elaborate on, and it's well possible it's the same in the PC version. It has been quite a few years, after all.

One real issue I did find is the audio. When you're fighting against many enemies, or a single larger one, the audio starts to break when there's many bullets and lasers and missiles shot all at once. Hopefully that can be patched out as it's pretty horrible, especially on the final boss. And add to options the possibility to change button configuration while at it, that's currently missing as well.

Overall, a good port to get if you can't get the PC version, but the original is still slightly better in my opinion.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 pm 

oh, wow, i've wanted to play this for a couple of years at this point and have desperately wanted it to get a console part. fingers crossed it'll get a limited physical release. i hate buying digitally, but if there's no news for months i might grab this, anyway. or, heck, might get it digital sometime soon just to throw in some extra support.

lost my damn psp 2,000 and haven't been able to try the version of gunhound ex i want to scratch the itch of a new-to-me game in this genre, too. had such a rip-roaringly good time with the leynos remake and have the best runs of the game on youtube, really want to play some more stuff like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 am 

BrianC wrote:
Switch version is out. Any impressions?

I've been playing the Switch version (was unfamiliar with the game before). It's a lot of fun, and definitely controls better than Leynos on the PS4. The attacks, explosions etc. are all more visceral and feel more fun to execute, but as a game I think it's let down a little bit by the lessened variety in the missions and quite a bit by the inability to extend or modify your loadout after each mission (I haven't played through the whole thing, so maybe this happens latter, but it seems like an obvious miss). Overall probably the best execution of the formula outside of Valken for me though. Good bosses too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am 

it290 wrote:
the inability to extend or modify your loadout after each mission (I haven't played through the whole thing, so maybe this happens latter, but it seems like an obvious miss).

It doesn't. The loadout you start the game with will stick with you all the way through. Not entirely unprecedented, Wolf Fang works the same way, doesn't it?

Still no audio patch :(

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am 

If you could upload a link that's working, it would be great

Offline Profile