Am I being paranoid?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Tar-Palantir

Am I being paranoid?

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Is there any kind of Trojan/spyware that manifests itself by making new Internet Explorer windows get reduced to just the top bar's dimensions? Or am I being paranoid?
system11

Post by system11 »

Get adaware/whatever installed and find out.

Next step is to install Firefox, and stop using IE.

Happy days are then ahead.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

bloodflowers wrote:Get adaware/whatever installed and find out.

Next step is to install Firefox, and stop using IE.

Happy days are then ahead.
Exactly.. get FIREFOX web browser.. its a TON safer and more reliable. IE is satan when it comes to browsers.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I use Opera and love it. I like Firefox too, but I feel more comfortable with Opera for some reason.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I guess you can choose between Opera, Firefox or Mozilla, and you are set. Just test all 3, and see what is more confortable to you. I do prefer Opera myself too.

I really CAN'T understand how ANYONE can still use Internet Explorer these days. It's not only unreliable, it's SLOW, it's BIG, it's CRAP.....
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Yeess, but does such a thing exist?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I think it's more like adware or simple pop ups from sites. Now if you are getting those pop ups when you visit a site that normally doesn't use them, then your system may be infected all right. Time to download Ad Aware, Spybot SD, Hijack This and CWShredder.

Boot in safe mode without networking, run those babies, repeat, install firefox. Live a happy life, raise a kid, write a book, pass on your knowledge. :P
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Please. I didn't say 'I get pop-ups'. I said 'new windows I make always get resized to a minimum'. And so...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Ok. I am surprised your windows don't get saved the size you close them at. Run the aforementioned tools, anyway. If it's spyware or a trojan, they'll find it. It's the only way to know for sure.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Shatterhand wrote:I guess you can choose between Opera, Firefox or Mozilla, and you are set. Just test all 3, and see what is more confortable to you. I do prefer Opera myself too.

I really CAN'T understand how ANYONE can still use Internet Explorer these days. It's not only unreliable, it's SLOW, it's BIG, it's CRAP.....
I prefer Opera as well. I've been giving Firefox a test run for the last couple of weeks. Things I like about it: plugins (especially translation utilities). Opera and Firefox are pretty comperable - however, Firefox is WAY more bloated than Opera - talk about memory hog. And firefox's UI is a bit more clunkly than Opera's, I have to move stuff more to get where I want to go. Ugh. Moving.

IE is especially suck because its tied into explorer.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!