Katamari Damachii Freak, or Too Much Time...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
silvery wings

Post by silvery wings »

Ghegs wrote:My two cents: I played it for the 3-4 hours it takes to finish the "story mode" if one can call it that, unlocking few Eternals in the process and felt absolutely no desire to continue playing after that. I had fun playing it, yes, but to me there was no long-term appeal.
"The game doesn't end. It breaks up with you."
http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/katamari/

heh, somewhere in there are some interesting ideas about the game's strange lack of replay value (for most people). Its not entirely true though, I played it a few days ago after not touching the game since november.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:*Spoilers*
I also noticed something the second time, that I didn't see the first time.
At the end, during the staff roll/credits, you can control the prince. He's pushing the moon. (the Katamari becomes the Moon) around the Earth.
Well, you can pick up and collect continents!!! I'm not sure how many there are, but the game was keeping track in the upper left corner of the screen. I think I had 172. Weird!!!
I believe I got 183 on that one.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I know that I'll play it again.
My current high score for "Make the Moon" is 867m30cm2mm...which is pretty fuggin huge!

I have no real desire to find all the presents and every item in the listings, and most likely will erase my memory card of the game. That way, when I return to it at a later date, I will be able to start again fresh and new.

KD doesn't have much replay value in the "mainstream" definition, but as far as it being a fun challenging game, it is. Its well made and the music fits it perfectly. I always can appreciate original music in games more so than say, a game with a bunch of "trendy radio flunkies" in it.

All in all, "Eternal Mode" sucks! Strip a simple challenging game of its challenge and simple goals, and you have NOTHING.
Eternal mode is far lamer than playing Pac-Man with an invincability code.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Yeah, the Eternal levels pretty much suck. They're near-clones of their non-eternal counterparts, but with somewhat less stuff in them. Specifically, Make the Moon allows you to get just over 880m, while Eternal 3 only lets you get up to about 830m. This makes Eternal 3 completely useless, because you can get 880m in Make the Moon well before the clock runs out.

My Make the Moon record is 880m 19cm 1mm...the largest verified size I've seen is 880m 84cm 7mm.

As far as presents and shit, I pretty much ignore all of that. I never got the 'gotta catch em all' fever with the collecting aspect of KD.

All of KD's replay is very arcade-like...play the exact same levels over and over again, steadily increasing your proficiency.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

silvery wings wrote:"The game doesn't end. It breaks up with you."
http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/katamari/
Wow, that sounds accurate :) Granted, I've never played the game--I've been around enough people playing it that I don't find any appeal in trying myself [even if it didn't make me motion sick], but that's me and Animal Crossing right now.
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

Its an all right game, certainly not worthy of the attention its receiving on the net lately from complete morons such as these. Oh wow "original" game with a quirky style and music from Japan SOMEBODY STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Huh...

I thought I was the only one who got motion-sick playing KD. I really, really liked this game, but by the time I got to the fourth stage, I was getting pretty queesy. I had to lie down for an hour, but damnit, I got up and started playing some more, only to feel even worse.

So it was back to Gradius V for me. :)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

MadSteelDarkness wrote:I thought I was the only one who got motion-sick playing KD.
No, I got a bit of it, too. It wasn't bad, but enough to know it was there. Weird really, I've never experienced motion-sickness from games before.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Well, it doesn't help that the first times I would ever see it in action were on my ex's projector [now burnt out or something]. Motion-sickness on a HUGE scale :(

Watching Kiken's mum play hasn't been as bad :) well, minus the learning curve for her ;)
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
TWITCHDOCTOR

More Katamari Geekery!

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Even more obsessive bored geekdome, found here for your pleasure.

http://www.geocities.com/wmhunt311/katamari.html

I'm almost curious what some bored shmup fans may do...
Anyone? Where's 8 1/2 when you need him?