Any RPG fans here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
drunkninja24

Re: Any RPG fans here?

Post by drunkninja24 »

drauch wrote: E.V.O. Search for Eden (super awesome and unique "evolution" rpg)
God I wish this game didn't sell for so much, I really would like to own a copy.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

ryu wrote:he said role playing strategy

i almost fell for it too, though.
how the hell I didn't see that, I'll never know. thanks for pointing it out :D
drauch

Post by drauch »

drunkninja24 wrote:
drauch wrote: E.V.O. Search for Eden (super awesome and unique "evolution" rpg)
God I wish this game didn't sell for so much, I really would like to own a copy.
Yeah, fo realz. I know when Vintage Stock gets in it (they don't) they sell it for like 40 I think. A guy I know that works there collects SNES games and has first dibs on it, though, so the odds are terribly rare. It'd be damn worth it, though.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Further Etrian Odyssey 3 discussion.
BryanM wrote:
CMoon wrote:All that said, as far as I can tell, the Ninja exists mostly to be subclassed with Zodiac for the dark ether skill. If necessary, have the ninja clone and allow the whole party to use skills for free.
It exists to cram MORE melee characters, who have the highest damage multipliers, in your party.
I took a different direction, using the ninja/zodiac to fuel warrior's might. Sho/Buc hitting 2-8 times a round, chased by arb/sho warrior's might pretty much destroyed everything. I really didn't end up needing more melee or potion users because my monk/prince could buff/cure/heal well beyond anything the monsters could dish out--this was at the ice forest level with the teleporters. I didn't end up going further than that.

Again, I think EO3 is actually the best rpg on the DS, and I do think really highly of it, but some elements of it need to be totally renovated/overhauled/rethought. Again, I'd love to have a dungeon actually look like a dungeon. Or how 'bout instead of the dumb sea quests, actually have a genuine overworld with multiple dungeons?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Argh. And the skill trees with vague descriptions, where the in-game information presented is useless.

But an up to not being well documented, is you feel a little like an explorer like this was the 80's or something.

Oh, that no class is extremely under the curve means the thing has extremely good balance for a Jrpg. The dual classing breaks that somewhat (like with the Ninja) - is there an example of a Titan-Quest style system that didn't have this issue?
drunkninja24 wrote:God I wish this game didn't sell for so much, I really would like to own a copy.
I'll sell you mine for $500 trilliiiiiiion dollars.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

BryanM wrote:Argh. And the skill trees with vague descriptions, where the in-game information presented is useless.
You were using this, right?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Of course sir. It is mandatory.

I always develop a sort of malaise with these 1st person crawlers.. I love Dungeon Master, it is a masterpiece, but willpower always peters out around halfway..
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Real RPG fans play Wizardry. I can't stress enough about how awesome this series is. Now, if only I can get Bane of the Cosmic Forge to work correctly in DOSBox....
".... that would be rubbish."
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Samurai Fox wrote:Real RPG fans play Wizardry. I can't stress enough about how awesome this series is. Now, if only I can get Bane of the Cosmic Forge to work correctly in DOSBox....
If you do, let me know. That's the one Wizardry game I very much wanted to play but never had the chance.
SHMUP sale page.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Samurai Fox wrote:Real RPG fans play Wizardry. I can't stress enough about how awesome this series is. Now, if only I can get Bane of the Cosmic Forge to work correctly in DOSBox....
I wants to be a real rpg fan. Where would you recommend one start if they are just getting into the series? Console preferably =)
Krimzon Kitzune

dunpeal2064 wrote:
I wants to be a real rpg fan. Where would you recommend one start if they are just getting into the series? Console preferably =)
If you're not picky and you want to play a console Wizardry, you could get started with the originals by playing Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn for the Super Famicom. It's a Japan-only release, but it does have an option to play the game entirely in English. It's a compilation of the first three Wizardry games with vastly improved graphics and music. Otherwise, they're entirely faithful to the original PC versions. If finding a physical copy is out of the question (if it's too expensive or if you lack a Super Famicom) and you don't want to emulate, you can try tracking down copies of the NES versions instead, although the 3rd scenario, Legacy of Llylgamyn wasn't released in the US, unfortunately. In any case, be prepared to pull up a list of spells and get out some graphing paper. You WILL need to map dungeons and know your spells, or you will get lost and/or die. A lot.

There's also a PC version of the trilogy called Llylgamyn Saga, but the included English translation is kinda lacking (although it's sufficient enough to play). The benefit of this version comes with an automap which maps out dungeons for you and sports an easy-to-use interface (in the original PC releases, you had to type your spells and commands). MIDI is used for music playback and the graphics are composed of CGI images. Otherwise, it's very faithful to the original versions. The auto-map and the revamped interface probably makes this version one more friendly for beginners.

This remake (PC Version) is not without its faults, although they shouldn't really do anything to ruin the enjoyment, either. The game window is small and cannot be enlarged, which makes it a problem on higher-resolution displays unless you lower the desktop resolution, and the music is quite horrible. It's MIDI trash. You will have to blindly click on menus until you find the option to set the game on English (although I think there is an english patch out there that does this for you, but don't quote me on it). The graphics are okay-ish, but I found them rather bland and dull. There is a Playstation version with much improved graphics and sports an orchestrated soundtrack, but I'm not sure if it has an automap feature or not. I haven't even played this version, so I can't tell you much more about it.

The Super Famicom version (this one I have indeed played) is awesomely superior in every way, but it lacks the automap and you have to map out the dungeons yourself (as mentioned above). Fortunately, it still has an easy-to-use interface in which you can select commands via menu as opposed to typing them. Personally, I think you should play this version instead. Just don't forget to track down a spell list online before you actually play it.

EDIT: Fixed some grammatical errors and revised this post a bit.
Last edited by Krimzon Kitzune on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Samurai Fox wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
If you're not picky and you want to play a console Wizardry, you could get started with the originals by playing Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn for the Super Famicom. It's a Japan-only release, but it does have an option to play the game entirely in English. It's a compilation of the first three Wizardry games with vastly improved graphics and music. Otherwise, they're entirely faithful to the original PC versions. If finding a physical copy is out of the question (if it's too expensive or if you lack a Super Famicom) and you don't want to emulate, you can try tracking down copies of the NES versions instead, although the 3rd scenario, Legacy of Llylgamyn wasn't released in the US, unfortunately. In any case, be prepared to pull up a list of spells and get out some graphing paper. You WILL need to map dungeons and know your spells, or you will get lost and/or die. A lot.

There's also a PC version of the trilogy called Legacy of Llylgamyn, but the included English translation is kinda lacking (although it's sufficient enough to play). The benefit of this version comes with an automap which maps out dungeons for you and sports an easy-to-use interface (in the original PC releases, you had to type your spells and commands). The music uses MIDI for music playback and the graphics are composed of (rather bland-looking) CGI images. Otherwise, it's very faithful to the original versions. The auto-map and the revamped interface probably makes this version one more friendly for beginners, so I highly recommend it.

This remake (PC Version) is not without its faults, though, although they shouldn't really do anything to ruin the enjoyment, either. The game window is small and cannot be enlarged, which makes it a problem on higher-resolution displays unless you lower the desktop resolution, and the music is quite horrible. It's MIDI trash. You will have to blindly click on menus until you find the option to set the game on English (although I think there is an english patch out there that does this for you, but don't quote me on it). The graphics are okay-ish, but I found them rather bland and dull. There is a Playstation version with much improved graphics and sports an orchestrated soundtrack, but I'm not sure if it has an automap feature or not. I haven't even played this version, so I can't tell you much more about it.
Excellent, thank you so much! I will definitely go with the SFC version. How kind of them to put english text in!
Krimzon Kitzune

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Excellent, thank you so much! I will definitely go with the SFC version. How kind of them to put english text in!
Enjoy your new hardcore RPG. :mrgreen:
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I'm kinda surprised no one has directly remade Wizardry 1-5 with updated graphics and optional auto-mapping features.
SHMUP sale page.
Krimzon Kitzune

CMoon wrote:I'm kinda surprised no one has directly remade Wizardry 1-5 with updated graphics and optional auto-mapping features.
Meh. Dungeon mapping builds character!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

'xactly. If you can burn the entirety of Zelda or Shining in the Darkness into your brain, no need to autonap.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Samurai Fox wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
Thanks! Hopefully I can find a copy. Don't see one on ebay. Is it fairly rare or anything?
Krimzon Kitzune

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Samurai Fox wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
Thanks! Hopefully I can find a copy. Don't see one on ebay. Is it fairly rare or anything?
I'm not sure about SFC rarities, but my best answer for that would be "maybe". Emulation is an option, though, at least while you search for a true copy of the game.

Of course, I'm sure I can't mention ROM sites here, so you would have to consult Google for the ROM.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Wizardry I-II-III for SFC will cost you around 300 bucks. Unboxed. Well, there never was a box to begin with; this game was only released for the Nintendo Power addon, which is sorta a programmable cart. Copies of the NP with the game pre-burned on are extremely rare. There should be some Taiwanese knock-offs around, though. However they're not really cheap either.

IMHO you're better off looking for LLylgamyn Saga for either PS1 or Sega Saturn.
Krimzon Kitzune

ZOM wrote:Wizardry I-II-III for SFC will cost you around 300 bucks. Unboxed. Well, there never was a box to begin with; this game was only released for the Nintendo Power addon, which is sorta a programmable cart. Copies of the NP with the game pre-burned on are extremely rare. There should be some Taiwanese knock-offs around, though. However they're not really cheap either.

IMHO you're better off looking for LLylgamyn Saga for either PS1 or Sega Saturn.
Yeah, I had the feeling that either of the 32-bit versions may be the best ones. Again, I've never played them but I'm wondering if there's a reason to play the 32-bit versions over the SFC version outside of graphics and music? Also wondering about the pricing...
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Well, the Staurn version's pricetag is one tenth of the SFC one, so yeah, it's surely more convenient. :)
The graphics are nothing to write home about and some might prefer the pixelart that's seen on the SFC versions. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's any other additions to the games. The 80-ish percent English dialouge is still in there, though.
There's also a PC version of LLylgamyn Saga that seems very interesting look-wise and how the windows are arranged. Still trying to track that one down with a box that isn't plastered with DigiCube ads over the front-cover.
Krimzon Kitzune

ZOM wrote:Well, the Staurn version's pricetag is one tenth of the SFC one, so yeah, it's surely more convenient. :)
The graphics are nothing to write home about and some might prefer the pixelart that's seen on the SFC versions. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's any other additions to the games. The 80-ish percent English dialouge is still in there, though.
There's also a PC version of LLylgamyn Saga that seems very interesting look-wise and how the windows are arranged. Still trying to track that one down with a box that isn't plastered with DigiCube ads over the front-cover.
Hah, your post made me correct mine. I originally thought the title for the PC version was the same as the SFC version. But what I said above about the PC version still applies. It's nowhere near as good as the SFC version, and the automap thing kinda turns me off a bit. If memory serves, you can port characters to other games like in the original PC versions. I would probably be more forgiving if the in-game windows could be resized for higher-resolution monitors. I hate straining my eyes.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Samurai Fox wrote:automap
Autonap.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Played/replayed a lot of games last year:

Etrian Odyssey 2

Actually enjoyed this one more than EO3; being able to port to every other floor from the town saves a lot of trudging back down repeatedly over conquered ground. Being able to just walk and not get into random battles for hundreds of steps with the Survivor's skill was critical to the enjoyment, as well.

The whole "the skill system is a maze with dead ends, just like the dungeon, so explore it by writing your own skill guide!" thing is still aggravating though. If you build a Ronin without the renzokuken skill, it's gimped, and that just makes me sad. Really wish there were timers, like with the Survivor's Apollon attack you can only use every few turns.

Weapon speeds drove me crazy however. My Medic always moved dead last, until getting the speedy staff (which does not mention that it is speedy) in the bonus dungeon section. It did make me appreciate some nuance to the game though: monsters are biased to target the party member with the most HP. Not only does it make the game a bit easier, it makes the protection class just that much better, and a JRPG where a defense dude is good is practically unheard of.

Suppose it's no secret that EO4 is the only reason I even kind of want a 3DS at this point..

Devil Survivor

It's a bit of a threadbare, budget title... which I really enjoyed. A mashup of a text adventure sim, tacticsy games, and typical jRPG combat. Wrapped up in a theme of saving/destroying the world with an army of demons, large zero-g boobs, and the power of rock.

Not a fan of the rock-paper-scissors-shotgun elemental wheel, nor getting pretty much the ultimate class of attack spells (the -dance spells) right on the first day, but meh.

It's a bit different, and simple. I heartily suggest giving it a try.

Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

For as much as I liked Devil Survivor, I hated Strange Journey far more. The thing is like a torture device for anyone mildly OCD.

Remember in the old gold box games, how when you wanted to level up you'd get a random amount of HP, and you'd have to reset the game over and over and over until you got the maximum amount? The same thing applies here if you care about stats. Except instead of worrying about ~5 levels worth of them, you get to worry over 20+ levels worth of them. The difference in damage over 2 points of strength or magic a level up, added up over a few levels is enormous.

Getting the skills you want is so much worse. I was doing this insane thing where I'd put a skill on a very low level monster (you apply skills by earning a "source". A source gives you some crappy fixed skills, and one randomly chosen one. You get sources randomly on leveling up. A low level monster therefore only usually needs one battle for every time you need to reset when you don't get the skill you need)... but since the skill given is heavily weighted to the lowest rank skills on the monster, you had to fill out all six skill slots with high level skills.

In other words: in Devil Survivor, to get the skills you want, it takes two seconds. In Strange Journey, it can take hours. For one monster.

Additionally, as far as I can tell the Ragnarök spell is exactly as powerful as the Glacial Blast spell, despite costing more MP. Finding out the non-neutral paths get the best gun and an extremely high level monster for free, while also having easier end bosses, kind of pissed me off too.

I did enjoy how the bosses required some planning (after they lay waste to you for not knowing their gimmicks) to beat. There's some joy and some good to the thing, and it really does capture the feeling of being completely alone in a room playing a game where you play a man completely alone who has to do all of the work and not a single NPC gives enough of a fuck to help you out.

The cheesy budget "animation" (they just move rectangular areas of the sprite slightly) is kind of lovable, too.

Oh, this is important: The correct name for your character is Jake Darko. No other names are correct.

Persona 2

Eh, it's kind of okay. The mapping sidegame is unnecessarily tortuous though. Felt like completing a really long level of City Connection each time: "Congrats on mapping all of the highway!"

Oh, and using Sources to boost your stats on level up... I discovered that the non-main characters will actually waste attribute points if they've maxed a stat already. Really didn't see that one coming, but that's what I get for forgetting it was an Atlus game for five minutes.

Phantom Brave

I really enjoy this damn game, and I can't completely verbalize why. All the different skill classes (Physical, Aura, Magic, Plant, ESP, Life, Occult) you can level up, and the diabetes level of sunshine, I know I like those aspects of it.

The game is really brutally easy when you get down to it. Even if you don't use the Failure title to fuse up enormously strong weapons, most enemies have nothing equipped and are therefore helpless.

Nippon's games really are like Shonen manga; you create one character who is outrageously badass and all the other characters you make are just members of his cheerleading squad. Very much literally, when it comes to level-agnostic boost spells.

Phantom Kingdom

Ah, this thing really does seem to use the worst aspects of Disgaea and P.Brave.

Monologues on a black screen with the same characters over and over... the eight second summoning wait you have to do every time you bring a character into battle... game never had much of a chance.

Which is a pity; a "Makai Wars" kind of game where you fight other kings to rule the underworld would have been a great premise...
Last edited by BryanM on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BryanM wrote:For as much as I liked Devil Survivor, I hated Strange Journey far more.
I only played a short ways into this one, but it was the "enemies are glitchy unscannable nothings when you first encounter them" thing that bothered me the most...yeah, randomly throwing spells at new enemies to figure out what works is par for the course, but when you can't even tell how many different types of critters you're fighting or which one is which it becomes a total crap shoot.

On my own front, I'm currently in the postgame of The World Ends With You, and while it's flawed I'm a lot more addicted to it than I ever thought I'd be.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

BryanM wrote:
Phantom Brave

I really enjoy this damn game, and I can't completely verbalize why. All the different skill classes (Physical, Aura, Magic, Plant, ESP, Life, Occult) you can level up, and the diabetes level of sunshine, I know I like those aspects of it.

The game is really brutally easy when you get down to it. Even if you don't use the Failure title to fuse up enormously strong weapons, most enemies have nothing equipped and are therefore helpless.

Nippon's games really are like Shonen manga; you create one character who is outrageously badass and all the other characters you make are just members of his cheerleading squad. Very much literally, when it comes to level-agnostic boost spells.
I really enjoyed Phantom Brave

I finished up FFXIII-2 recently. I love every second of it. ...except the official ending. After seeing what happens at the end, I felt so stabbed in the face I put the game down and was done. Originally I had intentions to play it to get 1000/1000 achievements, but after the ending I was in such disgust.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Samurai Fox wrote:Real RPG fans play Wizardry. I can't stress enough about how awesome this series is.
Except Wizardry 4. Arguably the hardest, most obtuse game ever to solve (enemies can steal your key items putting you in a no-win situation, there's an instakill ghost that's stalking you, list goes on and on).

Only one I've beaten so far was Wizardry I. I tried out both the original Apple II version (unplayable without speeding up the game basically) and the old DOS port. It's very, very silly; pretty much the only reliable way to beat the game is to farm the Murphy's Ghost on floor 1 for HOURS AND HOURS since stuff from level 2 onwards has instant kill crap. Going down to look for treasure is essentially always flirting with death (and you do not want to have characters with cool goodies treasure hunting in case they get killed and eaten). Party-wipes are way too easy, especially against breath enemies (the original Apple II version is the hardest; enemies can use spells during surprise attacks there, unlike other versions).

Haman and Mahaman completely wreck the enemies when you know how they work (even better in the PC/NES/SNES ports where you get a choice of 3 wish options instead of just one at random, including instadeath to everything including final boss, or guaranteed resurrection + full party heal and cure poison/para/stone). Basically level the hell up so you have at least like 4 uses of Haman/Mahaman on each of your wizards (ideally, make sure everyone learns it since they're the strongest spells in the game).

Fuck Tiltowait; that spell sucks ass against resistant enemies like Greater Demons (unless you use Haman/Mahaman and get the remove magical defenses on enemies option!).

Wizardry 8 looks pretty damn amazing; I'm drooling over all the character customization options.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

How would you Wizardry veterans rate Labyrinth of Lost Souls (the Wizardry game available on PSN)? Is it better or worse than the originals?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The only Wizardry game worth playing that's available in English is Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2. It has the same fundamental game structure as Wizardry 1/2/3/5, but with vastly improved combat mechanics and dungeon design. Atlus understood what makes a game good more than the copy-paste cronies at Sir-tech ever did.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Agreed; the PS2 games are pretty awesome. Sadly, the second PS2 game, Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo, was never released outside of Japan, and there isn't a fan translation patch out yet as far as I know. No idea how Labyrinth of Lost Souls compares though; I don't have a PS3.