Any RPG fans here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
qmish

Re: Any RPG fans here?

Post by qmish »

FinalBaton wrote:It's sad that some western players dismiss jrpg completely. Yes it started with western rpgs, but the japanese brought so much to the table...
From my experience though, people who are heavy fans of Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum etc. are very displeasured by jrpgs they played, just different things they need.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

There's a feller on the youtubes who likes to make videos rambling about player decisions impacting the world in video rpgs. He often brings up the old idea of a "one block simulation" - a game that completely simulates a single city block.

That's an extremely huge undertaking. Even if you ignore social interactions, there's virtually a limitless amount of things you can do. Just one example: I can go outside right now, grab a shovel, spend the afternoon digging a bigass hole in the ground, fill it up with water from a hose, and I'd have my own personal swimming pond. Consequences of this may entail hitting a power, cable, or water line. One major consequence that would happen, is a very large number of mosquitoes will use the pond to breed and multiply massively during the warmer months, because I'm a cheap, lazy man who isn't going to pour poison in my swimmin' hole.

Triple A video games don't even try to create these kinds of systems. So that even something very small and rudimentary seems super special. Such as how you can rifle through games/leaflets/vcr tapes in Duck Season.
drauch

Post by drauch »

What?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Last year I learned an important lesson about myself:

No matter how smart or fun a turn based battle system is, if I don't like the story, characters, or atmosphere on some level, I simply cannot enjoy it. There's fun to be had in a good slow paced tactical battle system, but it's ultimately an abstract simulation that requires an element of imagination and empathy to properly connect with.

I consider myself a fan of rpg's, as a genre, because even though most of them have fucking terrible stories, the few that are legitimately well written can be downright magical experiences.

Right now, I'd say Trails in The Sky is my favorite rpg. A slow burn that some might mistake as cliched at first, but it's methodical writing (there's several times more text than LOTR. The whole trilogy) takes its time building up every single character arc and absolutely sells every one of them. Oh yeah and the gameplay is fun imo but who cares I'm here for the story.

Aside from that, I've gravitated mostly to table top rpg's these days, as they deliver the deeply personal character driven interactive narratives that most rpg's don't and most arcade action games can't, alongside a helping of fun gameplay mechanics. I've grown to absolutely love the true role playing experience. Envisioning a character, painstakingly imagining their motivations, giving them flaws and watching them grow as people...all while the GM schemes and works hard to put you in as many uncomfortable, tense, and dramatic situations as possible. I love it. True adventure.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Indeed, trve tabletop rpg is great. It's got it all : customizeable characters, turn-based combat that can be as strategic(or as non-strategic) as you want, and a good story (providing your DM is not a bonehead). But no visuals though. And you've got to deal with people! Ewwww

(seriously though, I love tabletop rpg sessions. It's refreshing and rewarding to dabble in the source of the genre)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Not me, never did, and I assure you friends have tried to get me into some multiple times but it's just not my stuff.

Obviously there's a direct relationship to my lack of interest for the whole video game equivalent of those.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Squire Grooktook

FinalBaton wrote:and a good story (providing your DM is not a bonehead). But no visuals though. And you've got to deal with people! Ewwww
Ha ha, I'm actually lucky to be in a group through which I've become legitimate friends with, and whom I regularly chat outside of the game and whenever I have time.

We're all pretty idealistic with heavy creative leanings and a love of fantasy, so with characters who all have interesting conflicts and chemistry with eachother, and an experienced DM who's a great writer* and it's been a downright magical experience.

*I should mention this is an online thing conducted through text and virtual gameboards, but I actually like that better because it emphasizes writing skill and allows players and DM to really paint a visual landscape and express the subtleties of their characters emotions with text. I love challenging my writing skills each time, always trying to do better. It might not have the "in person" sense of fun found in a live gathering, but with suitable camaraderie and sizable creativity, the intense 5 hour sessions lack none of the tension or energy.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, I love the idea and I've had fun doing it with the right group, but man, I just can't roleplay myself. Nothing makes me feel more awkward than acting a character in front of people and carrying on fake discussions. I need an avatar, something that does the speaking for me. I want to play a character, not be one. I'm a social deviant and I hate myself, so that's why I indulge in fiction 8)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Ha ha, I'm actually lucky to be in a group through which I've become legitimate friends with, and whom I regularly chat outside of the game and whenever I have time.

We're all pretty idealistic with heavy creative leanings and a love of fantasy, so with characters who all have interesting conflicts and chemistry with eachother, and an experienced DM who's a great writer* and it's been a downright magical experience.

*I should mention this is an online thing conducted through text and virtual gameboards, but I actually like that better because it emphasizes writing skill and allows players and DM to really paint a visual landscape and express the subtleties of their characters emotions with text. I love challenging my writing skills each time, always trying to do better. It might not have the "in person" sense of fun of gathering around a table, but with suitable camaraderie and sizable creativity, the intense 5 hour sessions lack none of the tension or energy.
Online through text huh? interesting. That should push people to polish their thoughts though, which is good.

Yeah all campaigns I did were with very close friends! Needless to say, we have a fucking time. For each campaign we always lay out a dominant social/political context and have at least one player have stakes(and a role) in it. That not only makes the world more believable an fleshed out, but it helps make each campaign different from one other, and more memorable. And it gives a backbone to the story, something the DM can lean against and develop, give twists and turns.

We always have players plotting stuff with the DM behind the scenes(without telling the other players), lol. Not neccesarily to betray the others, it can be to hide his identity, or maybe to lay out the details of a personnal quest/motive that this mysterious/secretive player might have and is working to achieve without the other players knowing about it. Anything secretive/personal quest. All players are welcomed to do this and each campaign we always have at least 1 player pulling this shit, lol. It's great fun though, makes for awesome twists, or discoveries that "you jagoff was trying to bring us to this place all along!!"
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

drauch wrote:Yeah, I love the idea and I've had fun doing it with the right group, but man, I just can't roleplay myself. Nothing makes me feel more awkward than acting a character in front of people and carrying on fake discussions. I need an avatar, something that does the speaking for me. I want to play a character, not be one. I'm a social deviant and I hate myself, so that's why I indulge in fiction 8)
You don't need to act :lol: In 7 years or so of heavy play, I've never acted, only ever described my characters' action. Man, I wouldn't be playing if acting was required
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

You've never had a character talk directly to yours? I mean, even if you respond with "I respond with '..." You still gotta put some conviction into it, ya dig? My favorite part of tabletop is the emphasis on bartering, bluffing, interrogation, etc. The combat I find to be a slog, at least in D&D.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

drauch wrote:You've never had a character talk to you? I mean, even if you respond with "I respond with '..." You still gotta put some conviction into it, ya dig? My favorite part of tabletop is the emphasis on bartering, bluffing, interrogation, etc. The combat I find to be a slog, at least in D&D.
Nah. you state the mood your charcter is in, then you deliver your character's words with your regular ass voice.

It does the job great. When you think about it, it's just like how dialogue in a book is written. The words are printed there, and the character's mood is described as well. That right there contains all the information you need!

Maybe some people act out. Just saying, it's not neccesery. at all.

I have a smile across my dumb face the whole time and keep giggling during sessions, I couldn't seriously convey my charcter's emotions through his/her dialogue :P I'll have the tinyest bit of inflection in my voice but that's gonna be followed by giggling usually. lol. Can't take that too seriously mate, it's fucking D&D, lmao
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

Right right. Haha, when I say act, I mean exactly do that. No changing my voice into a halfling or something. I still hate the all eyes on me, deciding how I feel/what to say stuff. It's just social anxiety 101 mate ;).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Gotcha :wink:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

drauch wrote:I want to play a character, not be one.
Definitely. I try to make every character I play very distinct, to the point that each one deliberately contrasts the last one in some way or another.

Current main campaign player character (post apocalyptic sci-fantasy): gentle, borderline pacifist mutant girl with four arms who often brings a unique viewpoint to the table due to being a fish out of water. The closest thing the party has to a "paladin" despite being a borderline coward (got braver through character development).

Other game (cyberpunk): self centered thrill seeking scoundrel who once abandoned the party during a bar fight (only to get arrested shortly after). Gradually grows a conscious after getting involved with a child kidnapped by the mafia.

Third game (cyberpunk + occult): Pompous but well meaning undead soldier, self deluded into thinking that they aren't actually dead. Had a mental breakdown when they realized the truth after getting head crushed and surviving.

etc.
FinalBaton wrote:
Yeah all campaigns I did were with very close friends! Needless to say, we have a fucking time. We always lay out a dominant social/political context and have at least one player have stakes(and a role) in it. That not only makes the world it more believable an fleshed out, but it helps make each campaign different from the other, and something special. And gives a backbone to the story, something the DM can lean against and develop, give twists and turns.

We always have players plotting stuff with the DM behind the scenes : stuff that's gonna be a surprise to the other players. All players are welcomed to do this and each campaign we always have at least 1 player doing this, lol. It's great fun though, makes for awesome twists, or discoveries that "you jagoff were trying to bring us to this place all along!!"
Ah cool. Our main game has more of an emphasis on mystery, being a very weird post apocatalyptic biopunk sci-fantasy, and trying to figure out what originally caused the end of the world is a major goal. The DM created the setting, and is really adamant about not revealing too much until the right moment. So most players learn about the setting as they go.

Speaking of player surprises, we had an incredible game a few weeks ago that I've been meaning to ramble on.

Principle characters involved in this story, for reference:
Zona, my character. Described above. Class is based around mutations.
Hilda, friends character. Class is based around mutations and eating other mutants.

So, Hilda's player had to go on a trip to Japan, and thus was absent for a few weeks. They and the DM agreed to fluff this as them sneaking off to a certain in-universe location...which we find out a few sessions later is the settings equivalent of R'yleh / Azathoth's Court. Oops.

Meanwhile the player and dm have been conspiring secretly.

So anyway, big chapter climax time: the settings equivalent of the godhand descend on the island we're stuck on. Start sinking it, psionically flay and liquefy tons of npc's, etc. lots of bloodpumping horror. The opposing gods also show up to hold them off, and the place becomes a nuclear battlefield as they roll against eachother with the powers of destruction. Then the not-godhand - in an act of sadism towards us - summon Hilda, who they captured and horrifically mutated into what can only be described as a hybrid between a centaur and an anglerfish. Player actually had a JP artist friend draw a sketch of it!

So this is pretty heartbreaking for my character. They were like sisters, and Hilda has now gone completely insane and now is preaching the flesh gods gospel on repeat and moving to eat us. I thought quickly, and went back and retrieved some of the text we had from an earlier session in which Hilda made Zona tearfully promise to kill her if she ever went fully berserk. I rewrote, abridged, and reformatted parts of it into a dramatic flashback to that scene, right as the DM engaged the brutal pvp battle.

Battle starts, and Hilda lands a nasty critical hit on me right off the bat. Bites off half my body. However, despite being a borderline pacifist, Zona is fucking strong regenerative and transforming mutant (I accidentally min-maxed my build, hue). I morph my hand into an organic pilebunker (think the Xenomorph tongue, but shooting out of the arm after it splits in half down the middle) and gib her head.

It grows back.

But! I knew that would happen (in and out of character), and that was all I needed. The blow delayed her and pushed her back out of attacking range. I then commence slashing her mutated form apart with my long reaching razor wires as she struggles to get back into attacking range. She's finally reduced to an impotent torso that can't move, still screaming for us to "return to the earth". Time for the finishing blow!

So, Zona - being Zona - elects to hug her instead, pleading with her not to die and to come back, and trying to tearfully reminisce about good times. The other parties (in-character) clamor that this is hopeless and Hilda will probably regenerate and kill me instead.

Commence madness / mental corruption cure check on Hilda

Pass

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Damn, that's some heavy shit going down in that story! And a hell of a shocking twist! I loved it.
Fight between your character and Hilda unfolded in an epic way too.
That game/setting seem great for putting in tons of over the top, insane, world threathening plots

Have you ever played the old tabletop game based on H.P. Lovecraft's mythos : Call of Chtulu? I think you'd dig it (although it's not as action oriented, but more survival horror and mystery). It's mostly about investigation, but it can be about something else if you want. Basically it's about your characters dealing with supernatural/cosmic/undead occurences (mostly about investigating about them actually). Your characters are regular ass people of different occuations (cop, nurse, detective, journalist, etc). The main mechanic is that you have sanity points, and that seeing messed up shit will make you loose some. Hit 0 and you're completely mental. lol. It's fucking great, my older brother made a bunch of legendary campaigns with tha game. Once the players were in an old manor, investigating on the mysterious ex-owner. The found a notebook written by his wife, but low and behold, my brother handed them said notebook IN REAL LIFE, with yellowed pages, and a last page drenched in blood. The guys flipped out, lmao.

As for the context of my current D&D campaign, it goes like so :
-The kingdom we originated from (and still live in) is ruled by this religion devoted to the God of Agriculture.
-The head priest in our township(smallish, not the capital) is considerated a moderate of that dogma.
-The lord of our township is also a moderate
-religion has a ton of influence on our politics(and on the lord), you can say the head priest is kind of a chancellor to him
-but recently, the head priest died. And it's a very suspicious death. Official word is that it's a natural death, but there are rumours of a murder...
-The new head priest, who was #2 before the incident, is a radical of that dogma. So now, instead of 2 moderates operating the township, you've got 1 moderate and 1 radical. A dang huge shift...

So there's a lot of tension there. The new head priest has just entered his functions, but we're worried that there's gonna be a huge political shift in the stances the township take in the months to come. And we don't want that, we had peace and a decent quality of life for a while now(and knowing the radical branch of our religion and the new head priest... that psycho... man, that can't be good). We're hoping that the lord will keep operating the township the same way he had all those years. We REALLY hope so... but man, we're nervous. It's really uncertain times... we'll see what the next few decisions will be like. It is about to unfold in front of our very eyes *is anxious*

And now the element that join us to this
-my character is a cleric, and is a moderate. And was basically idolizing the previous head priest. He was kind of a role model to me, and had taken me under his wing. No need to tell you that I am frustrated inside, with the latest events. But I've gotta serve our good god nonetheless.

And that is just the setting! we haven't completed a single quest yet! (we just started, we have two sessions played). Who knows what awaits us... well, I want to know what does, that's for damn sure :mrgreen:
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

Ah, definitely heard of CoC! Never played though. My GM likes to mention the potential rolls on sanity, how with a particular spectacular roll it's possible (though extremely unlikely) to look Cthulhu right in the eye and say

"meh"

Good times.

The game mentioned above also has a madness system, though it's thematically very different. It's actually a Japanese TRPG, and our DM is actually the head fan translator. Premise goes like this:
Spoiler
"Nechronica is a strange, post-apoctalyptic sci-fantasy. You are a "doll", a weapon maiden resurrected from an ordinary person (or ordinary people...) by the "Necromancers" who now rule the extinct Earth. You are cursed to wander the wasteland, desperately seeking survival, and memories of who you once were in your past life. Suffering and madness are around every corner, all for the amusement of your insane, demiurgic creators.

The best thing about the game is the emphasis on emotional vulnerability. Your characters are not badasses, even though they can grow quite strong by mutating and devouring their enemies. You are innocent and fragile, and you must rely on your "sisters" in order to reduce your madness. Emotional bonding and character development are mandatory, or you'll quickly lose your mind and become another grotesque beast, stalking the horizon."
Nechronica loves pretending to be grimdark, but beneath the surface it's ultimately a very idealistic and warm hearted game (albeit one with a slash of intense body horror...) with an emphasis on compassion and love.
FinalBaton wrote:Damn, that's some heavy shit going down in that story! And a hell of a shocking twist! I loved it.
Fight between your character and Hilda unfolded in an epic way too.
That game/setting seem great for putting in tons of over the top, insane, world threathening plots
Yup! Due to being a near future post-apocalypse featuring magic, super science, bio-horror, and undeath, gm's can really let their imagination run wild.

GM was previously big on World of Darkness (he ran lengthy campaigns for every game line in the Old World of Darkness), so he's pretty big on urban fantasy + horror + mythic / folklore

For reference, this is the second strongest god in his setting: https://pastebin.com/XKE8CqTi
FinalBaton wrote: As for the context of my current D&D campaign, it goes like so :
-The kingdom we originated from (and still live in) is ruled by this religion devoted to the God of Agriculture.
-The head priest of the Church in our township(smallish, not the capital) is considerated a moderate of that dogma.
-The lord of our township is also a moderate
-religion has a lot of influence on our politics(and on the lord), you can say the head priest is kind of a chancellor to him
-but recently, the head priest died. And it's a very suspicious death. Official word is that it's a natural death, but there are rumours of a murder...
-The new head priest, who was #2 before the incident, is a radical of that dogma.

So there's a lot of tension there. The switch just happened, but we're worried that there's gonna be a huge political shift in the stances the township take in the months to come. And we don't want that, we had peace and a decent quality of life for a while now(and knowing the radical branch of our religion and the new head priest... that psycho... man, that can't be good). We're hoping that the lord will maintain course and act the moderate way. We REALLY hope so... we'll see what the next few decisions will be like. It is about to unfold in front of our very eyes *is anxious*

And now the element that join us to this
-my character is a cleric, and is a moderate. And was basically idolizing the previous head priest. He was kind of a role model to me, and had taken me under his wing. No need to tell you that I am frustrated inside, with the latest events. But I've gotta serve our good god nonetheless.
Sounds like great fun! Lot of potential for drama and flying emotions with all that religious conflict!

We actually did a similar murder mystery kind of set up in a one-shot recently in another game (cyberpunk game again). That shit is hella fun.

The DM privately gave several players the option of being the murderer. I agreed to be innocent, but to accidentally incriminate myself, and conspired with other players to do it in order to provide a challenge in solving the crime for the player trying to do so.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah it's tons of fun! It's gonna be a long campaign though. Far beyond just investigating the murder. What I like is that it has room to grow. Notice that our lil' township is dealing with these radicals now. But, the whole kingdom is under that religion. That means the whole kingdom can potentially be overturned by these nutcases. So there's a nice sense of scale here. And this new head priest... he has ambition and is shaping up to be a formidable villain. One that I'm sure we will encouter many times and even square off against many times in the future. And against his cronies. Il va nous mettre des bâtons dans les roues, as we say in french :mrgreen: This will be epic!
Squire Grooktook wrote: The DM privately gave several players the option of being the murderer. I agreed to be innocent, but to accidentally incriminate myself, and conspired with other players to do it in order to provide a challenge in solving the crime for the player trying to do so.
Love this stuff :mrgreen:
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

FinalBaton wrote:Yeah it's tons of fun! It's gonna be a long campaign though. Far beyond just investigating the murder. What I like is that it has room to grow. Notice that our lil' township is dealing with these radicals now. But, the whole kingdom is under that religion. That means the whole kingdom can potentially be overturned by these nutcases. So there's a nice sense of scale here. And this new head priest... he has ambition and is shaping up to be a formidable villain. One that I'm sure we will encouter many times and even square off against many times in the future. And against his cronies. Il va nous mettre des bâtons dans les roues, as we say in french :mrgreen: This will be epic!
Awesome! Hope it's a great one. We're currently at the start of the second year and 3 "chapters" in. Those long campaigns with a great group really have so much potential to become straight up experiences.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Those long campaigns with a great group really have so much potential to become straight up experiences.
Yep

Also I'm sure some player is gonna arrange some fucking sheananigans behind the scene with the DM in our campaign :lol: maybe not but... changes are good it will happen. It always happens, lmao
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The internet legends of table top can be really great sometimes. Like the tale of Old Man Henderson, who comes into conflict with the local cult when he sets out to find the bastard who stole his garden gnomes.

Even if it's just a story that never happened in an actual game....... that's not the kind of experience you can have from some pre-scripted video game about smacking trolls in the face with a sword for 60 hours.
Squire Grooktook

So it's been a while and there's probably not too many interested in these parts, but a few months ago I finished a 4 year long tabletop rpg campaign (same one mentioned above, eons ago). I've been meaning to post about it here for a few months (for closure purposes), but been so busy I never got around to it. Also I don't think we have a dedicated tabletop rpg thread, with this one being closest since a good bit of this sort of stuff was discussed here IIRC

I can without a doubt say it was the best gaming experience of my life. The GM was the best storyteller/writer I've ever met and I feel like we became incredible friends through sharing this story we created together. Was the kind of story I always wanted to play through ever since I first played Final Fantasy IV as a kid. We really made something magical together and I think it was the best writing I ever did.
Spoiler
Since I'm gamedev anyway, I want to one day adapt it into a video game. Probably after I'm done with my shmup and an adjacent project. I'm thinking something like a mix of Trails in The Sky or Baldr Sky + Ys Oath/Origin kind of combat (+ some character action influence). I've already begun coding a few prototypes when not working on my main gamedev projects, and have begun on some concept art with the character designer from my shmup
Spoiler
Had a lot of other great experiences with tabletop RPG's too. Also had a 2 year Cyberpunk campaign that was my second favorite (and also got a Japanese artist to draw my character, heh), and a lot of little oneshots here and there with friends that were great times together and resulted in some very heartfelt little stories told. Overall I'm just really happy for all the great times and friends I made through this hobby, it's been magical.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

I have a love / hate relationship with JRPGs. On the one hand, I keep coming back to them, but at the same time resent that they haven't really been that innovative since the PSX era. Other than graphics.

Currently playing Yokai Watch 4 and Destiny Connect on Switch. The former is fantastic! Such a shame it doesn't seem to be getting a western release, as the writing in this game is truly hilarious at times. Destiny Connect not so sure about. Also started about 2 hours of Ni no Kuni on Switch, but can't say I'm that impressed. Too typical a story from what I can tell so far.

Got lots of JRPGs on Vita, PSP and 3DS waiting for me to play, as you can get titles for as cheap as 250yen on those systems these days!
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Terramax wrote:I have a love / hate relationship with JRPGs. On the one hand, I keep coming back to them, but at the same time resent that they haven't really been that innovative since the PSX era. Other than graphics.
There's a good amount of innovation in doujin RPGs. There's basically no innovation in big budget gaming these days regardless of genre. What little innovation they have usually results in worse games too.
WarsongStar

Post by WarsongStar »

Fuzzypants wrote:I was wondering if we had some rpg fans in the house? I just got done beating popolocrois and was looking for some other games that are kinda like that. Either for the psp or ps1
All fans is here! My RPG life starts from Fallout 1/2, D&D, Gothic 2... it was beautiful. Then I'm start looking for MMO and "Dead in WoW" for 10 years. Now looking for New World.