8- and 16-bit sprite pixel art with Perler beads

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: 8- and 16-bit sprite pixel art with Perler beads

Post by drauch »

Oh my god...that rules hard. I've been watching Macross lately, so this looks extra nice :mrgreen:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I'm moving in a couple of weeks and plan on buying some perler/hama beads to craft lots of random stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a starter kit of some sort that would kick start the process?
greg

Post by greg »

I dunno... there are kits that come with a peg board. The first one I bought was the construction one. It had practical colors, and it was my first peg board. I'd just get one of those, plus a 22,000 bucket of multi-colors. From there, the colors you'll buy really depends on what you want to make. Cream, sand, cran apple (dark red), and many other colors don't seem to come in those multi buckets, so you'll have to buy those separately.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Sorry to bump,

but I was wondering if anyone would know how to go about coloring over a bead, for example I have a ton of glittery and clear beads I know I'll never use so I was thinking about turning them into greys and blacks somehow. What would be the best way to go about doing it, maybe dipping them into paint or something then letting them dry? Currently waiting on a few specific colors to ship so I can begin work on my Trigon 1p side ship :p
greg

Post by greg »

Don't, unless you want burnt paint stuck to your iron.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

greg wrote:Don't, unless you want burnt paint stuck to your iron.
Aww, well maybe I'll make something for christmas with them later then, My bigger projects I'm planning on doing once I get my colors in are the Trigon 1p ship, Raiden Mk-I and Raiden Mk-II(following the design used in this thread from earlier), and the 2p side Daioh ship.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Bump again, behold the roots of my shmup creations, I have other stuff within that same album but shmups related creations so far:

I don't know who to give credit to for the template for this raiden mk-ii, I saw one in the topic earlier and wanted to make one of my own, so credits for this one go to him.

All of the whites/grays aren't 100% perfect but I'm still glad with how this one turned out.

Probably my best overall shmup creations so far. I swear this gets addicting really fast...

This one took a long time since I dropped my pegboard and had to redo the whole thing again, but it came out pretty good I think.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Another bump as I've been having too much fun making these things:

Did this one after hearing about Sapz' 2-ALL in Strikers 99, congrats sir!

Two from Blazing Star, first one the Orange Windina, my main which me and 95% of players use for score. Second is the Aryustalim, my favorite and the most manly ship as well. Still awaiting to see a really good run with Aryustalim someday.

The Silver Hawk from Darius Gaiden, it looks a TON of fun, I'm not sure why I haven't noticed the game until today.

Batsugun Type B Beltiana Ship, reminds me of Ratikal when I see this thing as his avatar is a pic of Beltiana
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Awesome stuff, Resume! apparently my girlfriend had a bunch of these beads but got rid of them all last year. she said the colours were really bad anyway? but it looks like a fun thing to do!
Kasbe

Post by Kasbe »

I bought some supplies today, but from another brand called "Hama", which makes smaller beads. I've been making a Space Invader, pic when I iron it tomorrow.
greg

Post by greg »

Nice work, ResumeDPosition! The Blazing Star ships are my favorite! I think my next project will be R-Type Leo.

Shmup ships use a lot of various shades of grey. I suggest finding some Nabbi Ash Grey and Nabbi Light Grey. Hama grey colors are different than Perler greys as well. The more shades of grey, the better.
Kasbe wrote:I bought some supplies today, but from another brand called "Hama", which makes smaller beads. I've been making a Space Invader, pic when I iron it tomorrow.
If you live in the UK, Hama beads are the equivalent to America's Perler. They are mostly the same size as Perler (and Nabbi), but some can be fairly small. I think this is just a manufacturing defect more than anything.

I recently made a bunch of Taito characters:
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Cool stuff greg, especially kiwi :P

Some more stuff since my last post:

Batsugun A-Type

Batsugun C-Type

Raiden Fighters Jet Judgespear

Dodonpachi C-Type

Varth 1p Ship

Daioh 2p Ship
^HATERS GON HATE!
Last edited by Emuser on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Judge Spear@!!@
lol
nZero

Post by nZero »

Cool stuff, I'd love a Raiden mk-IIβ to hang on my wall
ResumeDPosition wrote:P.S. if anyone can tell me how to do a clickable thumbnail that enlarges the picture when you do so, could you tell me how to do it?
Normal route: Host the image yourself, do something like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://mydomain.com/bigImage.jpg][img]http://mydomain.com/smallImage.jpg[/img][/url]
Ura route: Host the image on Photobucket, choose Share, go to the Get Link Code tab, and copy the code next to Clickable thumbnail under IMG for bulletin boards & forums.
greg

Post by greg »

Yggdra from Yggdra Union on the GBA/PSP. Chicks with swords are awesome. I feel that it should not be necessary to explain that to anyone.

Next I should get around to making the R-Type Leo ship.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Any Perler projects with the cool DDP-DFK fightercrafts?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

mesh control wrote:Judge Spear@!!@
This, and the Raiden ships FTW.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Any Perler projects with the cool DDP-DFK fightercrafts?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Just finished this one, the white on the left wing my look a bit odd but this is based on the sprite scaled down 75% to make it fit 4 pegboards so the white in that area is a little "bigger" than it would look if I had done a 100% size sprite design.

Also since I last posted:

Battle Garegga Cannon Ball

Dimahoo Grimlen(Blue form)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That's pretty slick with the DFK "Type A" fightercraft, ResumeDPosition.

I'd imagine it'd be cool to see someone make a stop-motion flick using Perler beads. Time consuming but well worth in the end.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
greg

Post by greg »

M&Ms NAMCO SPRITES!

We visited the M&Ms World store in Las Vegas a couple weekends ago and I saw that you can buy M&Ms candy by single colors. That gave me an idea to make a few Namco sprites with M&Ms candy!
ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!

So... has anyone else thought of doing this before? :cool:

After I made these, I pursed my lips and sucked them all off the table like a vacuum cleaner.

....Just kidding.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

I can't figure out what size these models are?
I'd like to try this (I really suck at drawing and artistic stuffs though) but I really don't know much.
Looking at the hama site right now,any advice for complete beginner?

I've been lurking this thread and I have so much time I think I want to do this :D

edit:just searched on youtube and plenty of videos there so i will find tutorials easily.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Damn RDP, those ships are so cool! I can't pick a favorite, probably the Beltania or ddp type-c. What would be incredible would be to recreate an entire gameplay screen, or perhaps a section of a character select screen.

After I made these, I pursed my lips and sucked them all off the table like a vacuum cleaner.
LMAO
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
rancor

Post by rancor »

greg wrote: After I made these, I pursed my lips and sucked them all off the table like a vacuum cleaner.
You win my first internets LOL. 8)
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

damn thats cool greg, m&m designs who would've thought it lol
and thanks chempop, it's been a while since I've done anything, I guess I've been out of ideas lately :/
greg

Post by greg »

Spec suggested I upload a pic of the M&Ms to the Win Blog at Cheezburger.com. VOTE OR DIE!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

ResumeDPosition wrote:damn thats cool greg, m&m designs who would've thought it lol
and thanks chempop, it's been a while since I've done anything, I guess I've been out of ideas lately :/
Do Tavia from GB2. Or Rob from Dragon Blaze.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Tavia throwing her whip would look amazing.
lol
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

RNGmaster wrote:
ResumeDPosition wrote:damn thats cool greg, m&m designs who would've thought it lol
Do Tavia from GB2. Or Rob from Dragon Blaze.
mesh control wrote:Tavia throwing her whip would look amazing.
I don't know much about GB2, but one of you two should send me a snapshot of the sprite you two are talking about and I"ll consider it once I get back from Thanksgiving.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

this neogaf thread is really cool to read.
found a supplier cheap enough and good set will be 30€ max with plenty of colors.

a few questions though:
are u using the 5mm beads (hama midi dunno for the perler) or the 2.5mm?
how do you choose the size of your sprite?
I mean what is the process to make the exact same sprite bigger or smaller?
I understand we try to transpose pixels by beads but what is the process if u'd like to make a larger sprite?
Do you set the grid with more width and height and voila?
I'm curious.