Underrated SNES games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dtdg

Underrated SNES games

Post by dtdg »

Sometime in the future I might just buy a SNES and some SNES games

I will get the usual:

Super Metroid
The Mario series (except the Mario RPG)
Contra 3: Alien War (something like that)
Maybe FF (Final Fantasy) games
Super R-type
Zelda

What are the underrated games for the SNES?
(Specification: They don't need to be rare.)
I know I will get Area 88.

What else should I get?

IRT to Fat Cobra:
Sorry about adding salt to the wound. But since you mentioned the SNES, I guess I could ask the forumites about it. Good luck finding another SNES. Didn't mean to add insult to injury.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

The Rushing Beat games NEVER get enough love. Rival Turf is a bit rough around the corners, Brawl Brothers is pretty good, and The Peace Keepers is raw badassity.

Final Fight Guy is another great beat em up. Never really got into Final Fighter 2 and 3.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is good fun.

Prince of Persia is my favorite version of the 1st game (avoid the SNES port of Prince of Persia 2, though)

Liberty or Death manages to make learning about the revolutionary war fun, though it has quit the learning curve.
FatCobra

Re: Underrated SNES games

Post by FatCobra »

dtdg wrote:IRT to Fat Cobra:
Sorry about adding salt to the wound. But since you mentioned the SNES, I guess I could ask the forumites about it. Good luck finding another SNES. Didn't mean to add insult to injury.
It's ok dude, I have a job, I'll just buy another one! It's a freakin' SNES after all, not some vintage 1932 Ford Hot Rod I put my heart and soul into, which I would have probably built if I was born before the time of videogames. If I'd had something like that and my mom sold it for scrap, I'd probably kill her. But it's just an SNES, so I'll just never forgive her for it.

If you like RPGs, you should definitely try Earthbound. It is the craziest RPG I have ever played. Think Dragon Warrior, but replace the DBZ style heroes with Peanuts-style kids, the magic with PSI powers, and the dragons with New Age Retro Hippies and Little UFOs, and the medival style with modern day America, and you've got an awesome game!

Word of caution though if you're thinking of buying it, it's a bit of a cult classic and it didn't sell too well in America. I've seen cartridges alone go for $55 on ebay.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

FatCobra wrote: If you like RPGs, you should definitely try Earthbound. It is the craziest RPG I have ever played. Think Dragon Warrior, but replace the DBZ style heroes with Peanuts-style kids, the magic with PSI powers, and the dragons with New Age Retro Hippies and Little UFOs, and the medival style with modern day America, and you've got an awesome game!

Word of caution though if you're thinking of buying it, it's a bit of a cult classic and it didn't sell too well in America. I've seen cartridges alone go for $55 on ebay.
Agreed, Earthbound is fantastic. I love it~

If you live near any mom-and-pop like game stores though, sift through their SNES games before going to Ebay or online stores. I got my copy of Earthbound for about $5 that way. Granted, it was only a $25-$30 game when I got it, but still. You might get lucky. Even if not Earthbound, you're bound to turn up a few good games for cheap.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Cthulhu wrote:Agreed, Earthbound is fantastic. I love it~

If you live near any mom-and-pop like game stores though, sift through their SNES games before going to Ebay or online stores. I got my copy of Earthbound for about $5 that way. Granted, it was only a $25-$30 game when I got it, but still. You might get lucky. Even if not Earthbound, you're bound to turn up a few good games for cheap.
I don't know of any ma-and-pa game stores around here in Tampa. All of the pawn shops and flea markets suck as well. All I've got here is Lamespots and EB Lames. Earthbound is a game I would gladly fork $70 (typical SNES price back when SNES was new) over for it. Maybe I should visit EB Games that still has SNES games and maybe I'll get lucky.

EDIT: You know, since I now have to hunt down my SNES stuff again, I am thinking of selling the PS2 and go completely retro. I've missed out on Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger (yes, I have played the PSX rereleases, but the loading times SUCK). Christopher Raymond Tichanuk has no time for crappy mainstream games!!!! He has old school retro games to master!!!
Last edited by FatCobra on Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bio Metal, best shooter on the system.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:Bio Metal, best shooter on the system.
The game is worth a try, but, Rob, do try and keep in mind that you are in the minority. In fact, I'm not sure if too many people would argee on what is the best. For me, it's Pop 'n Twinbee, though I admit I have a soft spot for cute 'em ups.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

I agree with this shit 1000%

It blew my mind when I played it back in the day.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Y'all ready fo DIS?!! dun dun dun...d-d-dunn dun dun.......
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Also Tetris Attack is the best puzzle game you can get.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

Demon's Crest!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Uniracers
Lost vikings
Super Turrican
Axelay
Super mariokart
Castlevania 4
Any Donkey Kong country game
Space Megaforce

Some cheap ones in there, but they are all good. Some are under rated, some are the best versions of their franchise.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:Demon's Crest!
That game rocks! I like Tetris 2 /Tetris Flash SNES quite a bit. I think it's a very underrated game.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

roushimsx wrote:Legend of the Mystical Ninja is good fun.
If you are into importing, I recommend the later Goemon games - Goemon 2 and 3 are much better than the original.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

benstylus wrote:If you are into importing, I recommend the later Goemon games - Goemon 2 and 3 are much better than the original.
Goemon 2 was the game that got me into importing :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

roushimsx wrote:
benstylus wrote:If you are into importing, I recommend the later Goemon games - Goemon 2 and 3 are much better than the original.
Goemon: KiraKira Dochuu (the last SNES Goemon) rocks quite heavily too. The first SNES Goemon isn't the original, though. There were some NES games, an arcade game, and a MSX game before the SNES Goemons.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

BrianC wrote:
roushimsx wrote:
Goemon: KiraKira Dochuu (the last SNES Goemon) rocks quite heavily too. The first SNES Goemon isn't the original, though. There were some NES games, an arcade game, and a MSX game before the SNES Goemons.
Ah yes, I know of these - but the SNES one was the first I played so it will always be the original to me. :)
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

benstylus wrote:
BrianC wrote:
roushimsx wrote: Goemon 2 was the game that got me into importing :(
Ah yes, I know of these - but the SNES one was the first I played so it will always be the original to me. :)
yeah. I want to get that game. I'm thinking of getting the GBA versions of 1 & 2. I heard great things about the GBA ports. Also, I felt KiraKira Dochuu isn't mentioned much, so I felt it was derseving of mention. I haven't played 2 or 3 enough to know how it compares to them, but I do know it's a killer gamee.
dtdg

Post by dtdg »

IRT: To all who recommended Goeman 2;
Thank you for the recommendation, but I'm not into Importing and I don't know how to do with a SNES or any other system. But still, I'am grateful.

I think I've played Mystical Ninja before.. yeah...I have played it. I didn't really like it.

Uniracers
Lost vikings
Super Turrican ( Isn't that a European game? Because I heard it's legendary in Europe.)
Axelay
Super mariokart
Castlevania 4
Any Donkey Kong country game
Space Megaforce (Explain this one, please and Thank you.)
Demon's Crest (Explain this one, also.)
The Tetris series
Bio-Metal(I'll have this symbol * to mean "I have no idea what that game is, please explain it to me.)
Earthbound ( I though this one was a farming sim..)*
The Rushing Beat*
Final Fight Guy* (I've played Final Fight before....Is it the same?)

Did anyone here like Super Metroid?
And what are the games I should avoid like the plague?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Well, modding the SNES is very easy. All it requires is removing the two pieces of plastic from the SNES that the two slots on the back of US cartridges fit into. Very few games, if any, have chip protection (Jaki Crush might be one, but I heard conflicting reports about it).
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Avoid any polygon games like Stunt car FX or Starfox.. They were good in their day but you would see them as lame 3D nowadays.

Avoid Dragons lair or any licensed crap.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BrianC wrote:Well, modding the SNES is very easy. All it requires is removing the two pieces of plastic from the SNES that the two slots on the back of US cartridges fit into. Very few games, if any, have chip protection (Jaki Crush might be one, but I heard conflicting reports about it).
Yes, just go outside with a soldering iron and burn those tabs down. Or alternatively buy all the screw starbits, take it apart and do it properly.

Or, you can just buy a screw bit and take the carts apart and fit the insides of one game into the case of a US game.

Soldering the tabs out is probably the cheapest, if not the most pleasing eye candy method. I am sure someone on here will let you borrow their screw bit.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Avoid any polygon games like Stunt car FX or Starfox.. They were good in their day but you would see them as lame 3D nowadays.

Avoid Dragons lair or any licensed crap.
The 3D may be dated, but I still find Star Fox enjoyable. It's the gameplay that matters and it still holds up quite well IMO. Not all lincensed stuff on SNES is crap. The Magical Quest series, the Super Star Wars games, Indiana Jones, Judge Dredd, and a few others are actually quite good.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Avoid any polygon games like Stunt car FX or Starfox.. They were good in their day but you would see them as lame 3D nowadays.
Starfox is still loads of fun! The other FX games were crap even back then.

Be sure to get:
F-Zero
Top Gear
Kyle's Petty No Fear Racing
the SoulBlazer trilogy (SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)
Sky Blazer (not related to the aforementioned series)
Super Metroid
Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Nobody mentioned Wild Guns yet?

I wouldn't say it's underrated (as most people who've rated it love it) but I'd definitely say it's quite under-the-radar.

The graphics and music are absolutely wonderful and the gameplay is tough. The theme is cool too, Western with giant robots?!??!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Yes, WIld-Guns is underrated. That's a SNES game I recommend

I also recommend

Pocky & Rocky 2
Out to Lunch
Cybernator
Tetris Attack
Super Punch-Out
F-Zero 2

Ok, not all of those are "underrated", but I guess those are my fav SNES games.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

fyi: space megaforce/super aleste is a class but fairly easy vert shmup that is really long. there are 12 stages and a huge range of weapons which you can level up by collecting orange tear drop things. if your gun has a high level, when you're hit, your gun zeros out, and then the next bullet kills. you can also change the speed of your craft in game and there are some really cool short bonus type stages. varied and interesting levels make this essential. well imho :)
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

Illusion of Gaia is one of the best games on the system in my opinion. Soul Blazer and Terranigma are both fantastic as well, but there's just something about IoG that makes it stand out.

And yes, you need to get Super Metroid. No SNES is complete without it.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Sunset Riders.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Some more to add

R-Type 3
Return of Double Dragon
Super Ghouls "n"Ghosts(damn hard but such a cool game)

I concur on Demon's Crest(Sister game to the above SGNG.

and all the usual suspects that have already been mentioned.
My Trying Not To