FWI, dave4shmups is now DaveH....

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

FWI, dave4shmups is now DaveH....

Post by dave4shmups »

I couldn't recover my old password, so I just created a new account. And yes this is really me, not an imposter-you should be able to tell by the elipses (did I spell that right??). H stands for my last name, Halligan.
jp

Post by jp »

Erm... you lost your password? All our old accounts are long gone bro, didn't you notice all the low post counts? ;)
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yeah, I just figured out a minute ago that EVERYONE lost their account.

In any case JP, how do you like Saturn Game Tengoku? I've heard it's great, but didn't it also come out for the PS1? I'm finally getting a Saturn, and I'm only interested in trading for Saturn exclusives. Thanks!-Dave
jp

Post by jp »

Game Tengoku is my 3rd favorite shmup ever, behind the almighty Radiant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai. Actually, I may actually like Game Tengoku MORE than Souky, not sure.

But yeah, its a great game. The original isn't on the PS1 but the lackluster sequel (which I believe is actually a light gun game) is. But the original is where its at! :D
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The sequel is NOT a gun game. It's a proper shmup, but there's no "level structure". You have 5 levels, and you can play any of them at any time. Beat a level, and you get to the hi-score table of THAT level, the game ends, and then you can choose another level. A bit like rrotage, except there's no 325432532 stages like rRotage :)

Though the game has a record of what levels you have finished... I bet there's an ending if you finish all levels (Or maybe more levels), but I just could never beat either level 4 or 5 (Level 5 is just a big boss battle).

And yes, the game isn't really all that hot. It's weird for sure (in a good way, like Parodius), but it doesn't play all that well really.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

jp wrote:The original isn't on the PS1 but the lackluster sequel (which I believe is actually a light gun game) is.
Shatterhand is half right: it isn't a gun game, but you CAN make use of a 2-player option, in which the first player controls the onscreen craft, as in most shmups, and the second player hooks up a Guncon and uses that to shoot onscreen enemies. I haven't tried it myself since I don't own a Guncon, but it's in there...

As for other impressions of GT2, it feels to me more like a gift to the fans of the various voice actors featured therein than a shmup: the first one also had bonus features and such in it, but this game really revolves around them, since the eggplants you collect during the stages can be "spent" to buy video and audio clips, and other things, much of which I haven't unlocked yet. The main purpose of the game is to grab lots of eggplants to buy more stuff, rather than get a high score (though thankfully those ARE recorded) or one-credit anything...it might have been a good purchase for fans in Japan, but I doubt that many in the west will get nearly as much out of it.
Dave_K.

Re: FWI, dave4shmups is now DaveH....

Post by Dave_K. »

DaveH wrote:I couldn't recover my old password, so I just created a new account. And yes this is really me, not an imposter-you should be able to tell by the elipses (did I spell that right??). H stands for my last name, Halligan.
Well as long as they don't now confuse you with me, we are cool. :wink:
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Who is Dave K.?
A new member, or an old shmup-o?
I give up...
landshark

Post by landshark »

Maybe I should change my name to Dave as well - as it is my real name :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Who is Dave K.?
A new member, or an old shmup-o?
I give up...
Sorry, I'm new to these forums, just started posting back in December.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

landshark wrote:Maybe I should change my name to Dave as well - as it is my real name :)
NOOOOOOOOO!

Attack of the clones!
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Davey

Re: FWI, dave4shmups is now DaveH....

Post by Davey »

Dave_K. wrote:
DaveH wrote:I couldn't recover my old password, so I just created a new account. And yes this is really me, not an imposter-you should be able to tell by the elipses (did I spell that right??). H stands for my last name, Halligan.
Well as long as they don't now confuse you with me, we are cool. :wink:
Moreso than his last initial, Dave's writing style and avg. posts per day should distinguish himself from the rest of the Daves well enough.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Dave? Which one of the many?
Ah, i should change my nick to Dav...wait, my name's not Dave.
Nevermind :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I know this little tidbit might be usless, but, if you spell Dave backwards, its spells "EVADE"...as in dodge/avoid!!! (ok, so I added an extra "E" for comedy's sake...sue me)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

It's as good a place as any to post this helpful little link: http://www.trials-shack.co.uk/posting.html
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

DaveH:
Like I said before, I never had any problems with you posting here. It just seems you ask a whole lot of questions...similar to how a younger child may ask. Not meaning "child-ish", just the need to know everything all at once.
I don't think anyone here "dislikes" you...they just like picking on you; like they would a younger brother or something.
Well, thats the way I see it at least.

To Ghegs:
I have no idea about what that is in the link you posted above...
I'm sure it supposd to be sarcastic, but I didn't get it.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Would anyone care to tell me what FWI is? For Wild Information? :P
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

^ For Wondering Intellectuals!!
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Oh I guess he wasn't talking to you then. Otherwise it'd be For Wonderful Intellectuals!!!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

mannerbot wrote:Oh I guess he wasn't talking to you then. Otherwise it'd be For Wonderful Intellectuals!!!
Hey don't mention it. Thanks for noticing anyway! :)
greg

Post by greg »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:I have no idea about what that is in the link you posted above...
I'm sure it supposd to be sarcastic, but I didn't get it.
Well, I got it. Pretty funny. I have no idea what the Steam Forum is, but it sure applies here as well. Ghegs, cool link, and certainly appropriate.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Dave will never take away my n00b status, NEVAR! Of course I think this mainly applies to all the Daves since I don't know which one of you is actually Dave4shmups anymore. Seriously though, I got this name as a joke about my suckiness when it comes to shmups and when I was new to the forums. Now it seems I'm sticking to it because I don't want people to get annoyed with yet another forumer doing the name change thing.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Topic moved to OT.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Just a quick note to please keep it friendly guys. Try not to bring up old gripes.

Nice to see all the Daves getting along, Daves of the world unite! :p

Any other Dylans or uh...Kosh's here?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

It has been prophesied that the Aarons will rise and rule the world with an iron fist.

all daves and dylans can be sex slaves, tho.
landshark

Post by landshark »

LoneSage wrote:It has been prophesied that the Aarons will rise and rule the world with an iron fist.

all daves and dylans can be sex slaves, tho.
HEY!!!!